Wrestling 2016

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
2Cents
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Wrestling 2016

Post by 2Cents »

Thanks Kama. Didn't attend any tournaments, working, but I did hear a couple things about Kaiser. Ruiz was at 145, maybe passing through, but he dominated his matches. Garcia didn't wrestle. Small tournament with only Moanaloa and Mililani with any numbers. No one of any note was there.

Mochi Ball
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Mochi Ball »

Kama wrote:I was able to make the Kalani tournament for a couple of hours. Farrington, Kalani, Castle, Campbell, Roosevelt and Redford were there. I think I got all of teams. It would be great if there were a flyer to give an overview of the tournament. I noticed a lot of new wrestlers which resulted in less competitive matches. A lot of the newbies were given their formal introduction to wrestling reality. There were a lot of boys and girls that needed medical help from getting the wind knocked out of them as well as a few shoulder injuries. I always seem to be sitting on the wrong side of the gym when good matches take place. This happened when Tristin Santos and Kapolei got it on. Kapolei won the match but Santos did look much more aggressive than last year. It should be an interesting rematch in the coming weeks. Campbell's Terukina won all of the matches I saw. I was looking out for the Farrington wrestler Rapoza that was being posted about but I didn't see anyone that looked to be him. I did notice a lack of coaches for Campbell. I hope they get some help.

On the girls side the team that stood out for me was Roosevelt. Very consistent and talented is how I would describe them and they look tough to beat. Campbell's girls team appear to be in the rebuilding phase. Maybe in a few years they'll be back challenging for a championship. The top wrestler that stood out for me was Angela Peralta from Radford. She looks really muscular, athletic and technically poised compared to last year. She toyed with her opponents and it reminded me of what Teshya Alo did for the past 4 years in all of her matches. I would agree that she is the P4P to girl in the state. It looks like coach Ariola has created another champion.

Aside from the wrestling I wish the snack bar was open, because I was really hungry and there was nothing to eat!
Yup, saw Terukina wrestle. Also the younger Pagurigan? brother from Kapolei. Their looking sharp. Was able to watch Rapoza wrestle a couple matches and won. Looking rusty though. Needs some work.
Girls side-agreed Roosevelt looked consistent and talented. Did see lots of "w's" for them. That Peralta girl from Radford, Wow! Saw her last match in which looked like practice for her. Shoot, score, let her opponent up, repeat..

clappingforyou
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by clappingforyou »

Mochi Ball wrote:
Kama wrote:I was able to make the Kalani tournament for a couple of hours. Farrington, Kalani, Castle, Campbell, Roosevelt and Redford were there. I think I got all of teams. It would be great if there were a flyer to give an overview of the tournament. I noticed a lot of new wrestlers which resulted in less competitive matches. A lot of the newbies were given their formal introduction to wrestling reality. There were a lot of boys and girls that needed medical help from getting the wind knocked out of them as well as a few shoulder injuries. I always seem to be sitting on the wrong side of the gym when good matches take place. This happened when Tristin Santos and Kapolei got it on. Kapolei won the match but Santos did look much more aggressive than last year. It should be an interesting rematch in the coming weeks. Campbell's Terukina won all of the matches I saw. I was looking out for the Farrington wrestler Rapoza that was being posted about but I didn't see anyone that looked to be him. I did notice a lack of coaches for Campbell. I hope they get some help.

On the girls side the team that stood out for me was Roosevelt. Very consistent and talented is how I would describe them and they look tough to beat. Campbell's girls team appear to be in the rebuilding phase. Maybe in a few years they'll be back challenging for a championship. The top wrestler that stood out for me was Angela Peralta from Radford. She looks really muscular, athletic and technically poised compared to last year. She toyed with her opponents and it reminded me of what Teshya Alo did for the past 4 years in all of her matches. I would agree that she is the P4P to girl in the state. It looks like coach Ariola has created another champion.

Aside from the wrestling I wish the snack bar was open, because I was really hungry and there was nothing to eat!
Yup, saw Terukina wrestle. Also the younger Pagurigan? brother from Kapolei. Their looking sharp. Was able to watch Rapoza wrestle a couple matches and won. Looking rusty though. Needs some work.
Girls side-agreed Roosevelt looked consistent and talented. Did see lots of "w's" for them. That Peralta girl from Radford, Wow! Saw her last match in which looked like practice for her. Shoot, score, let her opponent up, repeat..
From what I just found out, it wasnt Santos that lost. It was another Campbell kid that lost to Kapolei.

wrestling808
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by wrestling808 »

clappingforyou wrote:
Mochi Ball wrote:

From what I just found out, it wasnt Santos that lost. It was another Campbell kid that lost to Kapolei.
If it wasn't Santos that loss, then who was it from Campbell that got beaten? :-({|=

Hawaiianeye
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hawaiianeye »

Heard there's going to be a tournament this Saturday at Kamehameha. Does anyone know which schools are participating, and what time does it start?

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

Here's a quick overview of the Campbell "Clash". Campbell vs. Moanalua

I really enjoy the format and have been to each of their events since they first began. To begin it was the girls dual. It reminded me of last years tournament when Campbell
went up against Roosevelt and Iolani. Without getting into every single match the final score was 51 - 0 in favor of Moanalua. It's really shocking how far the girls program has fallen.

On the boys side Campbell started out with 2 falls, with Moanalua eventually catching up. The match that I found interesting was at 152. In the 2nd period the campbell wrestler was going for a half and the Moanalua wrestler reached out and begin squeezing the Campbell wrestlers gonads. I don't understand how the ref didn't see it especially when the Campbell kid was yelling "he's grabbing my nuts". The Campbell kid eventually got the Moanalua wrestlers back a laid a nice forearm to the Moanalua kids head. The Campbell wrestler got DQ'd and I kinda thought for a moment we were gonna have a WWE battle royal when the crowd got involved! I can't fault the Campbell kid, if that happened to me I can't say I wouldn't have done the same.

Of course the last match of the evening was between Santos and Garcia in which Garcia won 9 - 7.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Kama wrote:Here's a quick overview of the Campbell "Clash". Campbell vs. Moanalua

I really enjoy the format and have been to each of their events since they first began. To begin it was the girls dual. It reminded me of last years tournament when Campbell
went up against Roosevelt and Iolani. Without getting into every single match the final score was 51 - 0 in favor of Moanalua. It's really shocking how far the girls program has fallen.

On the boys side Campbell started out with 2 falls, with Moanalua eventually catching up. The match that I found interesting was at 152. In the 2nd period the campbell wrestler was going for a half and the Moanalua wrestler reached out and begin squeezing the Campbell wrestlers gonads. I don't understand how the ref didn't see it especially when the Campbell kid was yelling "he's grabbing my nuts". The Campbell kid eventually got the Moanalua wrestlers back a laid a nice forearm to the Moanalua kids head. The Campbell wrestler got DQ'd and I kinda thought for a moment we were gonna have a WWE battle royal when the crowd got involved! I can't fault the Campbell kid, if that happened to me I can't say I wouldn't have done the same.

Of course the last match of the evening was between Santos and Garcia in which Garcia won 9 - 7.
@Kama: Shame on that Moanalua kid, grabbing the Campbell kid by the privates. And what's the ref's problem, not noticing especially when the Campbell kid was yelling? I've never seen the fans get into it at a wrestling match, but what that Moanalua kid did could very well start something like that. If there had been a rumble, I think Moanalua may have ended-up losing. I mean, generally speaking, if there's a rumble between Campbell fans/alumni and Moanalua fans/alumni, whom do you think would win?

HawaiiWrestlingFan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HawaiiWrestlingFan »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Kama wrote:Here's a quick overview of the Campbell "Clash". Campbell vs. Moanalua

@Kama: Shame on that Moanalua kid, grabbing the Campbell kid by the privates. And what's the ref's problem, not noticing especially when the Campbell kid was yelling? I've never seen the fans get into it at a wrestling match, but what that Moanalua kid did could very well start something like that. If there had been a rumble, I think Moanalua may have ended-up losing. I mean, generally speaking, if there's a rumble between Campbell fans/alumni and Moanalua fans/alumni, whom do you think would win?[/quote

First off,I also was there, the moanalua wrestler did not grab the Campbell wrestlers "private parts"; what had happened was, the Campbell kid shot in and the Moanlua wrestler sprawled, and the moanalua wreslters knee had come down on the Campbell kids head, and the Campbell kid finished the takedown but was angered by what seemed too me like a normal accident, and he swung a huge elbow at the back of the moanalua kids backhead/neck, which was completely uncalled for and was disqualified because of this, rumble our not, Campbell kids always seemed too jump too a aggressive act, maybe it was just the high intensity, but they do need to be more professional in the future, especially if they are hosting the tournament.

stonecoldstunner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by stonecoldstunner »

So what actually happened in that match? Interesting as two observers saw two completely different things. One saw a crotch grab and yelling by the kid, the other saw no crotch grab, no yelling, only an inadvertent knee to the head on a sprawl. The only thing that seems to have happened for certain is that there was a flagrant elbow thrown by the Campbell wrestler into the head of the Moanalua wrestler leading to a DQ. As the saying goes, there's 3 sides to every story.....

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

HawaiiWrestlingFan wrote:

@Kama: Shame on that Moanalua kid, grabbing the Campbell kid by the privates. And what's the ref's problem, not noticing especially when the Campbell kid was yelling? I've never seen the fans get into it at a wrestling match, but what that Moanalua kid did could very well start something like that. If there had been a rumble, I think Moanalua may have ended-up losing. I mean, generally speaking, if there's a rumble between Campbell fans/alumni and Moanalua fans/alumni, whom do you think would win?[/quote

First off,I also was there, the moanalua wrestler did not grab the Campbell wrestlers "private parts"; what had happened was, the Campbell kid shot in and the Moanlua wrestler sprawled, and the moanalua wreslters knee had come down on the Campbell kids head, and the Campbell kid finished the takedown but was angered by what seemed too me like a normal accident, and he swung a huge elbow at the back of the moanalua kids backhead/neck, which was completely uncalled for and was disqualified because of this, rumble our not, Campbell kids always seemed too jump too a aggressive act, maybe it was just the high intensity, but they do need to be more professional in the future, especially if they are hosting the tournament.

I was sitting behind former coach Waeda by the scorers table and saw and heard everything that took place.

clappingforyou
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by clappingforyou »

What the? All this happened last night? Where was the invite?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

clappingforyou wrote:What the? All this happened last night? Where was the invite?
@clappingforyou: I think that a lot of these pre-season matches kind of fly "under the radar;" they're not always publicized. I, too, didn't know about this match.

Hawaiianeye
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hawaiianeye »

ILH preseason at Kamehameha today at 10:00. See you all there.

Opihiman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Opihiman »

Hawaiianeye wrote:ILH preseason at Kamehameha today at 10:00. See you all there.
I was there and the ILH JV/Varsity Round Robin event which to me was a disappointment and not worth the price of admission. I think the ILH needs to get on the same page as the OIA as they seem to be weeks behind the OIA as far as starting the season and getting up to speed. The kids just don’t get enough matches these days during the regular season and half the time they get forfeits. OIA kids are getting double the matches during the season than the ILH kids. Old days used to have two OIA/ILH opens, and two rounds with everyone. Now you wrestle one team on Friday and pray you have a match. Between kids taking the last hydration, a bunch taking SAT, it seemed like no one with experience was there or if they were it was a big mismatch. Sum it up … JV with a sprinkle of varsity.

miyagi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by miyagi »

@Kama: Shame on that Moanalua kid, grabbing the Campbell kid by the privates. And what's the ref's problem, not noticing especially when the Campbell kid was yelling? I've never seen the fans get into it at a wrestling match, but what that Moanalua kid did could very well start something like that. If there had been a rumble, I think Moanalua may have ended-up losing. I mean, generally speaking, if there's a rumble between Campbell fans/alumni and Moanalua fans/alumni, whom do you think would win?
Mr Miyagi say "No such thing as bad student; only bad teacher"