Kahuku for '16 Open Div state champ

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Kahuku for '16 Open Div state champ

Post by gopunahou »

reignjah11 wrote:My bad, meant punahou.
My guess is that they don't wanna put the two ILH teams on the same side of the bracket. They do it in basketball--that's why Iolani and Punahou met in the final.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

IFeelThat¿
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by IFeelThat¿ »

I just went to ScoringLive to update myself on the playoffs. I am not sure if I am misreading the brackets but why didn't Kamehameha make the playoffs? Didn't Kamehameha have a better record than Iolani when the season was finished? Shouldn't Kamehameha at least be in the Division 1 playoffs?

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Kamehameha, Saint Louis, and Punahou can only play in the Open Division. Iolani can only play in Division I. Pretty dumb, considering Iolani's D2 dominance has been the catalyst for change and now they just get a free pass. But at least we get some change and I'm sure they'll change it again after this season

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Neighbor wrote:Kamehameha, Saint Louis, and Punahou can only play in the Open Division. Iolani can only play in Division I. Pretty dumb, considering Iolani's D2 dominance has been the catalyst for change and now they just get a free pass. But at least we get some change and I'm sure they'll change it again after this season
@Neighbor: Well, my understanding (which might very well be incorrect) is that Kamehameha had to declare for D1--as opposed to Open--before the season started. If that's correct (and again, it might very well not be), I suspect that Kamehameha would have felt like a wimp if it declared for D1, rather than allowing Iolani to declare for D1. So, if Kamehameha had declared for D1, would they have gone instead of Iolani? I would assume so, seeing as they beat Iolani both times they played each other. But again, I'm just speculating. I really have no idea how the new system works.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Neighbor wrote:Kamehameha, Saint Louis, and Punahou can only play in the Open Division. Iolani can only play in Division I. Pretty dumb, considering Iolani's D2 dominance has been the catalyst for change and now they just get a free pass. But at least we get some change and I'm sure they'll change it again after this season
@Neighbor: Well, my understanding (which might very well be incorrect) is that Kamehameha had to declare for D1--as opposed to Open--before the season started. If that's correct (and again, it might very well not be), I suspect that Kamehameha would have felt like a wimp if it declared for D1, rather than allowing Iolani to declare for D1. So, if Kamehameha had declared for D1, would they have gone instead of Iolani? I would assume so, seeing as they beat Iolani both times they played each other. But again, I'm just speculating. I really have no idea how the new system works.
I'm sure there's a non-written agreement that the ILH's "big three" would only compete for the Open Division

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Neighbor wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
I'm sure there's a non-written agreement that the ILH's "big three" would only compete for the Open Division
@Neighbor: You're probably right; almost like a gentleman's agreement. But, Kamehameha got screwed in that their season ended early. If you look at OC16's Top Ten, Kamehameha is the only team on that list that didn't make states. All nine of the other teams made states, whether in Open, D1, or D2. Then again, that's the price Kamehameha paid for losing to St Louis and Punahou in all the games they played against them. What can you say?