Hard Times at Kaiser High

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
BigWave96744

Hard Times at Kaiser High

Post by BigWave96744 »

Arnold Martinez knew he was in for a challenge accepting the head football coaching position at Kaiser five weeks before the start of the season.

The scope of that challenge turned out to be much greater.

Martinez ended his first year with the Cougars losing 43-0 to Farrington last Friday in the first round of the OIA Division I playoffs.

Kaiser suited up 25 varsity players for the game and allowed 12 sophomores from the junior varsity team to suit up with no intention of playing them.

In total, just 17 on the original 28-man varsity roster from the beginning of the season played.
Read the complete story at
http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football ... at-kaiser/

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Hard Times at Kaiser High

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Rough first year, but I think Martinez will build this program back up the right way.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

rrforlifebaby wrote:Rough first year, but I think Martinez will build this program back up the right way.
@rrforlifebaby: Really, Martinez would be better-off at Moanalua, where he was. Kaiser's enrollment is quite small compared to Moanalua's. The irony, of course, is that Kaiser was kicking butt left and right back in the late-'70s. I mean, they were right up there with Waianae, Kamehameha, and other strong teams back then. Kaiser at one time had success in football that Moanalua never did. Kaiser's enrollment has shrunk too much since the late-70s; it's really too bad. I really don't know how high Martinez can take Kaiser here in the 2010s.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

I think Coach Martinez is a great coach. Problem is Kailua is starting to creep up in the ranks and Coach Joe Wong is doing a stellar job. Coach Wong needs those studs from Waimanalo. Sometimes Waimanalo kids DE to Kaiser.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Markeke wrote:I think Coach Martinez is a great coach. Problem is Kailua is starting to creep up in the ranks and Coach Joe Wong is doing a stellar job. Coach Wong needs those studs from Waimanalo. Sometimes Waimanalo kids DE to Kaiser.
@Markeke: That's right. I think one of the reasons Kaiser was tough in the late-'70s is that a lot of the 'Nalo boys were playing for Kaiser. But, it wasn't only that. In the late-'70s, there were a lot more kids in Kaiser's own district. Today, there are a lot fewer teens in that district; the demographics have changed.