Gorman...what's up with that?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Gorman...what's up with that?

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

reignjah11 wrote:To add to the unsportsmanlike stuff by BG I also heard that a few of their players stuck middle fingers to the kahuku bleachers as they made their way to the locker rooms at the half. That's why kahuku got to kick the ball off at the 45.
@reignjah11: That's really no class on Bishop Gorman's part. They seem to have a lot of attitude. This was a game that might stick in the craw of Kahuku alumni. I'd hate to see what might happen to Bishop Gorman if they play Kahuku here in the near future. It can be hazardous to your health to flip-off Kahuku alumni/fans, especially if you do it over here. Better run for the team bus after the game. I'm coming to the conclusion that Kahuku has the most alumni support of any high school in Hawaii.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

SM96753 wrote:
EITSwarrior wrote:
SM96753 wrote:
Sorry but I did not see the Kahuku/Radford game. Was Kahuku throwing the ball while they were blowing out Radford? The scoringlive box score says that Kahuku threw only 5 passes the entire game.

11 out of their 12 touchdowns came via the run or by the defense. In fact, according to Takase, Kahuku pulled their starters after the first half so how is that running up the score? What was Kahuku supposed to do? Take a knee on every play of the second half?

Sorry but it seems to me that Radford just stinks.
Radford may stink and yeah Kahuku wasn't throwing but they still scored 80-plus points against a "stink" Radford squad. Sorry I feel no sympathy for them when they got a taste of RUS. You want them to stop, you make me stop.
Was Kahuku supposed to take a knee every time they had the ball in the second half? How is it running up the score if they threw no passes and ran the same play in the entire second half? It's like what reignjah11 said, what could Kahuku have done to stop scoring?

EITSwarrior, if you don't know the difference between running up the score and playING conservative to not show up your opponent, well then you must just dislike Kahuku for your own personal reason (or love Radford).

For the record, I did not attend Kahuku.
@SM96753: I guess mainland teams might not really understand or live by the concept of aloha that we have here in Hawaii; I don't know if that should suffice to let Bishop Gorman off the hook. Having said that, over the years I've seen Hawaii high schools obviously run-up the score on other Hawaii schools. Pretty uncool. That's something HCs on the receiving end don't forget.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

SM96753 wrote:
EITSwarrior wrote:
SM96753 wrote:
Sorry but I did not see the Kahuku/Radford game. Was Kahuku throwing the ball while they were blowing out Radford? The scoringlive box score says that Kahuku threw only 5 passes the entire game.

11 out of their 12 touchdowns came via the run or by the defense. In fact, according to Takase, Kahuku pulled their starters after the first half so how is that running up the score? What was Kahuku supposed to do? Take a knee on every play of the second half?

Sorry but it seems to me that Radford just stinks.
Radford may stink and yeah Kahuku wasn't throwing but they still scored 80-plus points against a "stink" Radford squad. Sorry I feel no sympathy for them when they got a taste of RUS. You want them to stop, you make me stop.
Was Kahuku supposed to take a knee every time they had the ball in the second half? How is it running up the score if they threw no passes and ran the same play in the entire second half? It's like what reignjah11 said, what could Kahuku have done to stop scoring?

EITSwarrior, if you don't know the difference between running up the score and playING conservative to not show up your opponent, well then you must just dislike Kahuku for your own personal reason (or love Radford).

For the record, I did not attend Kahuku.
No need to be salty.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Yup, classless move. Most of us wouldn't have a problem if it had been the 2nd string qb, but Martell was in and they made it look like he was going to run out the clock....the oline didn't make much effort to block, so the dline held up, Martell kind of was just relaxing and then he lets it fly, good thing the secondary was alert and kept going with the receiver downfield.

It's kind of sad, 'cause being a Catholic, seeing how the administration allows the behavior by the players and coaching staff to continue like that is tough to watch. I appreciate the talent, but the attitude and arrogance needs to be held in check...imho. However, the coach and some of the players, including Martell did give some props(whether they were sincere or not, who knows, but it's in black and white) after the game.

All in all though, it was a good game, Big Red's D definitely got in some licks. Our freshman qb faced a very physical Waianae D and now he's faced one of if not the top Defense in the nation. Future looking good.....please don't transfer....lol....no, serious.
I would love to see some footage of strictly our secondary. They gave up 4 td's, but none of them were over the top long bombs(thanks to a couple of dropped passes tho). Kaula Kaniho's younger brother also played in the game, so he definitely gained some valuable experience.

As far as our chances against St Louis(if the OIA powers don't mess things up)...Big RED All Day Every Day!!!

RRFL!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

rrforlifebaby wrote:Yup, classless move. Most of us wouldn't have a problem if it had been the 2nd string qb, but Martell was in and they made it look like he was going to run out the clock....the oline didn't make much effort to block, so the dline held up, Martell kind of was just relaxing and then he lets it fly, good thing the secondary was alert and kept going with the receiver downfield.

It's kind of sad, 'cause being a Catholic, seeing how the administration allows the behavior by the players and coaching staff to continue like that is tough to watch. I appreciate the talent, but the attitude and arrogance needs to be held in check...imho. However, the coach and some of the players, including Martell did give some props(whether they were sincere or not, who knows, but it's in black and white) after the game.

All in all though, it was a good game, Big Red's D definitely got in some licks. Our freshman qb faced a very physical Waianae D and now he's faced one of if not the top Defense in the nation. Future looking good.....please don't transfer....lol....no, serious.
I would love to see some footage of strictly our secondary. They gave up 4 td's, but none of them were over the top long bombs(thanks to a couple of dropped passes tho). Kaula Kaniho's younger brother also played in the game, so he definitely gained some valuable experience.

As far as our chances against St Louis(if the OIA powers don't mess things up)...Big RED All Day Every Day!!!

RRFL!
@rrforlifebaby: Interesting comments. I'm not sure how much difference it makes if a team is from a Catholic school. I mean, I've seen some dirty play by St Louis over the years. I think that once a team takes the field, it's like war. Football is like war: Very violent, very physical. Guys get caught-up in the moment. If Catholic-school teams should have class, then I think every team should have class, not just the ones from Catholic schools.

As for Kahuku beating St Louis, I think Kahuku should be concerned not only about Tagovailoa, but the St Louis D as well. They held Kamehameha to 3 points, but then again, Kamehameha's O seems to be so inconsistent. Still, I'm pretty sure Kamehameha meant to run the ball on St Louis, but didn't do very well. Kahuku is a run-oriented team. On the bright side, Kamehameha's D-line was able to contain Tagovailoa better than any other D-line so far; they were getting penetration all night. Question is: Is Kahuku's D-line as good as Kamehameha's D-line?

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
rrforlifebaby wrote:Yup, classless move. Most of us wouldn't have a problem if it had been the 2nd string qb, but Martell was in and they made it look like he was going to run out the clock....the oline didn't make much effort to block, so the dline held up, Martell kind of was just relaxing and then he lets it fly, good thing the secondary was alert and kept going with the receiver downfield.

RRFL!
@rrforlifebaby: Interesting comments. I'm not sure how much difference it makes if a team is from a Catholic school. I mean, I've seen some dirty play by St Louis over the years. I think that once a team takes the field, it's like war. Football is like war: Very violent, very physical. Guys get caught-up in the moment. If Catholic-school teams should have class, then I think every team should have class, not just the ones from Catholic schools.

As for Kahuku beating St Louis, I think Kahuku should be concerned not only about Tagovailoa, but the St Louis D as well. They held Kamehameha to 3 points, but then again, Kamehameha's O seems to be so inconsistent. Still, I'm pretty sure Kamehameha meant to run the ball on St Louis, but didn't do very well. Kahuku is a run-oriented team. On the bright side, Kamehameha's D-line was able to contain Tagovailoa better than any other D-line so far; they were getting penetration all night. Question is: Is Kahuku's D-line as good as Kamehameha's D-line?
I have no problem with showboating or playing mind games, Big Red does it, but not shaking hands at the coin toss? But that's what they do, so it is what it is. Just because other schools play "dirty" or what not doesn't make it right. And yes, all schools should play with "class", but I guess it's the current world we live in. Water under the bridge, props to BG cause they are an extremely talented team.

If it does happen that Big Red and St Louis meet, I know we'll face a more improved Tua. But St Louis doesn't have a running game(other than Tua) which is of much concern to the Red Raider D. Keala Santiago is no longer roaming around, but I'll still stack our secondary against others in the state. Naupotu is a beast against the run and Ah You is a star on the rise in the linebacking corps.

As far as Big Red's O against the Crusader D, in paraphrasing what Coach Sanchez(BG) said, just need to win more battles in the trenches than the opposing team. Big Red won there first battle with Waianae in the trenches and did fairly well against a very fast and physical front in BG. St Louis' front 7 is good(the linebacking corps I will say is probably as good if not better than BG's), but they won't intimidate Big Red.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

The best thing for Kahuku is to let this game serve as a motivator for the rest of the year.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

rrforlifebaby wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:

RRFL!

I have no problem with showboating or playing mind games, Big Red does it, but not shaking hands at the coin toss? But that's what they do, so it is what it is. Just because other schools play "dirty" or what not doesn't make it right. And yes, all schools should play with "class", but I guess it's the current world we live in. Water under the bridge, props to BG cause they are an extremely talented team.

If it does happen that Big Red and St Louis meet, I know we'll face a more improved Tua. But St Louis doesn't have a running game(other than Tua) which is of much concern to the Red Raider D. Keala Santiago is no longer roaming around, but I'll still stack our secondary against others in the state. Naupotu is a beast against the run and Ah You is a star on the rise in the linebacking corps.

As far as Big Red's O against the Crusader D, in paraphrasing what Coach Sanchez(BG) said, just need to win more battles in the trenches than the opposing team. Big Red won there first battle with Waianae in the trenches and did fairly well against a very fast and physical front in BG. St Louis' front 7 is good(the linebacking corps I will say is probably as good if not better than BG's), but they won't intimidate Big Red.
@rrforlifebaby: Yeah, we could assume that St Louis doesn't have a run game because they don't need one. The way Tuatagovailoa scrambles, it's just as if he were the RB who had received the hand-off from the QB. Tuatagovailoa is like a QB and RB all wrapped into one. Having said that, I still think St Louis has a legit quality RB in Silofau.

As always, when it comes to containing a good pass game, it's not just about the secondary. In fact, if you ask me, it's even more important to have a defensive front-seven who can gain penetration and disrupt the pass-play from behind the line of scrimmage. You'd rather have your front-seven blow things up on the front end, than to allow the QB to get the pass off, and then hope your secondary can prevent a reception on the back end. Or, at least you want your front-seven to disrupt the QB's timing enough that even if he gets the pass off, it will be errant. I've heard good things about Kahuku's secondary, but I suspect that both Kamehameha's and Waianae's D-lines might be a little better than Kahuku's. As for St Louis' LBs, I think they're the best in the state. But you're right, I don't think Kahuku's O-line will be intimidated by them. After all, it's usually the interior linemen who are the most intimidating players on the field, by virtue of their size. As good as St Louis' LBs are, I doubt that Kahuku's interior O-linemen would be intimidated by them. Also, I think the blocking backs that Kahuku uses on run plays can be pretty intimidating in their own right, and of course those are the guys whose job would be to clean-out St Louis' LBs if the linemen don't.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

EITSwarrior wrote:No offense, but seeing how Kahuku put up 80-plus points on Radford a few weeks ago, best not complain.
Seeing how Waianae put up 54-0 on Radford and Moana lua 40-0 what do you think Punahou or St.Louis would do?Didn't Punahou smoke Leileihua 70-9 pre season? Kahuku is #1 in D1 and Radford is last. I feel for Radford but they and Nanakuli should drop down division this year.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Markeke wrote:
EITSwarrior wrote:No offense, but seeing how Kahuku put up 80-plus points on Radford a few weeks ago, best not complain.
Seeing how Waianae put up 54-0 on Radford and Moana lua 40-0 what do you think Punahou or St.Louis would do?Didn't Punahou smoke Leileihua 70-9 pre season? Kahuku is #1 in D1 and Radford is last. I feel for Radford but they and Nanakuli should drop down division this year.
Not the point I was making but yeah OK.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

@ HS Football Fanatic, I think you may have taken some of what I said out of context, but I do agree with your points.

Yes, Silofau is a good back, but the Crusader run game overall isn't something to be concerned about for a D like Big Red's.
Yes, the front 7 does need to be disruptive, but, if you don't have a quality secondary, an offense like St Louis' or the Puns, especially with the talented qb's and receivers they have, and specifically with a player like Tua, will make plays.

When I said that Kahuku's Oline wouldn't be intimidated, I meant the Crusader front 7, not just the lb's.

People keep downplaying Big Red's front 7. I've yet to see Kamehameha play, so I can't comment on them. I will admit, Waianae has a pretty awesome front, but considering the fact that Big Red was able to move the ball on them and score 28 pts, whereas the Red Raider D goose egged the Waianae O and shut down their run game; at this point, edge to Big Red.

RRFL!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

rrforlifebaby wrote:@ HS Football Fanatic, I think you may have taken some of what I said out of context, but I do agree with your points.

Yes, Silofau is a good back, but the Crusader run game overall isn't something to be concerned about for a D like Big Red's.
Yes, the front 7 does need to be disruptive, but, if you don't have a quality secondary, an offense like St Louis' or the Puns, especially with the talented qb's and receivers they have, and specifically with a player like Tua, will make plays.

When I said that Kahuku's Oline wouldn't be intimidated, I meant the Crusader front 7, not just the lb's.

People keep downplaying Big Red's front 7. I've yet to see Kamehameha play, so I can't comment on them. I will admit, Waianae has a pretty awesome front, but considering the fact that Big Red was able to move the ball on them and score 28 pts, whereas the Red Raider D goose egged the Waianae O and shut down their run game; at this point, edge to Big Red.

RRFL!
@rrforlifebaby: Yeah, I'd assume that St Louis' run game isn't a concern for Kahuku or any other ranked team. If Waianae couldn't run on Kahuku, St Louis certainly can't. But of course, we can't confuse Waianae's O with St Louis' O. St Louis' O is more dangerous because of their pass game, and Tuatagovailoa's running ability. Yet, if Kahuku could run on Waianae, they could probably also run on St Louis. I think Waianae has a better D-line than St Louis, but St Louis has better LBs. If we consider the entire defensive front-seven, I think Waianae's is better than St Louis'. And, I agree that Kahuku's O-line wouldn't be intimidated by St Louis' D-line, or any other team's D-line. I think Kahuku's O-line can match-up physically with any D-line. Well, perhaps not with Bishop Gorman's D-line, but Bishop Gorman is #1 in the nation.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

lol. true that, Big Red's Oline did have some moments against BG's, but not enough. They're not the number #1 team for nothing.

Bus3001
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Bus3001 »

So if for arguments sake Bishop Gorman was close enough to kick a FG and made it on the last play of the game to make it a final of 38-7 would that be considered running up the score???

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

Bus3001 wrote:So if for arguments sake Bishop Gorman was close enough to kick a FG and made it on the last play of the game to make it a final of 38-7 would that be considered running up the score???
I was reading this thread and thinking the same thing. I remember thinking that kahuku was rubbing it in by kicking that field goal with 30 seconds left in last years state championship game. Then I heard that Stl didn't accept the 2nd place trophy. Both acts are classless to me, but 2 wrongs nvr make a right. I saw what BG did too, again I also thought that was no class by throwing a bomb with little time left. No need to complain, that's just the way it is now days. These coaches, especially the ones that are nationally ranked (ie:BG and kahuku) must want to put up points. they know it looks better on the national scale if the scores are big.