Iolani baseball slump

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
sportsfanbb
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Iolani baseball slump

Post by sportsfanbb »

Hiring Miyahira didn't seem to bring Iolani baseball up. Few coaching changes made especially at the Intermediate Red and Black teams. Need new blood. No opportunities for kids to play ball at collegiate level if team doesn't win. Couple heading to JCs... not even DII. So much politics... Need changes now. AD Look okay with status quo since football is his #1 priority

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Iolani baseball slump

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

sportsfanbb wrote:Hiring Miyahira didn't seem to bring Iolani baseball up. Few coaching changes made especially at the Intermediate Red and Black teams. Need new blood. No opportunities for kids to play ball at collegiate level if team doesn't win. Couple heading to JCs... not even DII. So much politics... Need changes now. AD Look okay with status quo since football is his #1 priority
@sportsfanbb: Interesting to see a baseball post at this time of year. Baseball had been Iolani's sport since I was in high-school in the mid-'70s, and it remained their sport clear up to the mid-2000s or so? I don't know; is it really coaching? Of course, Mid-Pac had been hot in baseball since the early-'90s, under HC Muramaru. But even then, Iolani was rarely far behind. I thought Iolani as a school always had baseball talent; they almost never sucked. Even just this past year, their vars season was going badly early on, but then they really picked it up in the ILH playoffs. Is Iolani really having a baseball crisis at their school? As for politics, I suspect you have that at every school. I mean, there's the AD, the HC, the parents, the fans, etc. Sometimes even the players go ahead and get involved in it, which to me is very inappropriate on their part. It seems that politics are a part of life in high-school sports. Heck, I know a high school--which shall remain unnamed--that had some drama with its girls' basketball program several years ago. I guess you can say it's life. Whenever you have to deal with people, there's politics, and it can get pretty ugly sometimes. It's really unfortunate when it occurs at a high-school, because you hate to expose kids to the ugliness of adult politics, especially when you happen to be caught-up in it. It can be awkward and embarrassing when the kids look at you and know what's going on.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
sportsfanbb wrote:Hiring Miyahira didn't seem to bring Iolani baseball up. Few coaching changes made especially at the Intermediate Red and Black teams. Need new blood. No opportunities for kids to play ball at collegiate level if team doesn't win. Couple heading to JCs... not even DII. So much politics... Need changes now. AD Look okay with status quo since football is his #1 priority
@sportsfanbb: Interesting to see a baseball post at this time of year. Baseball had been Iolani's sport since I was in high-school in the mid-'70s, and it remained their sport clear up to the mid-2000s or so? I don't know; is it really coaching? Of course, Mid-Pac had been hot in baseball since the early-'90s, under HC Muramaru. But even then, Iolani was rarely far behind. I thought Iolani as a school always had baseball talent; they almost never sucked. Even just this past year, their vars season was going badly early on, but then they really picked it up in the ILH playoffs. Is Iolani really having a baseball crisis at their school? As for politics, I suspect you have that at every school. I mean, there's the AD, the HC, the parents, the fans, etc. Sometimes even the players go ahead and get involved in it, which to me is very inappropriate on their part. It seems that politics are a part of life in high-school sports. Heck, I know a high school--which shall remain unnamed--that had some drama with its girls' basketball program several years ago. I guess you can say it's life. Whenever you have to deal with people, there's politics, and it can get pretty ugly sometimes. It's really unfortunate when it occurs at a high-school, because you hate to expose kids to the ugliness of adult politics, especially when you happen to be caught-up in it. It can be awkward and embarrassing when the kids look at you and know what's going on.
Iolani has been a basketball-first school since the Anderson twins were roaming the campus.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Iolani has been a basketball-first school since the Anderson twins were roaming the campus.
@gopunahou: Well, that's true. I don't know when those twins were there, but it seems to me that Iolani became a basketball school while Mugiishi was HC. He's not there any more, of course, but I think he really put Iolani on the basketball map. I'd say Iolani has been tough in basketball for the past ten years or so. But before then, like from the mid-'70s, they were definitely more of a baseball school. They were tough in baseball every year.