2016 HS Football Pick 'Em - Week 5

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

2016 HS Football Pick 'Em - Week 5

Post by reignjah11 »

View last week's results and standings here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

*Because a few games got cancelled this past week, week 4 will not be counted towards your total score.

Rules: The game is pretty straight forward. I'll pick 10 games for the week and you post your predicted winners. *However, there is a new twist I'm adding this year! Instead of the underdog bonus point, we will use a confidence point scale instead. ***So what that means is you post your winners in order from the most confident to your least confident pick. Your points will be scored based not only choosing the correct winning team but where you ranked them as well...

10 points - most confident
1 - least confident

Total Perfect Score: 55 points

*There is no deductions for wrong picks.
*You will get 2 throwaway weeks (your 2 lowest week totals will not count toward your total points) - does not include playoff weeks!

The person with the most total points will be crowned the 2016 Pick 'Em Champion!

Week 5 Match ups:
Pac Five vs Damien @ Aloha Stadium
Waianae @ Aiea
Kaiser @ Moanalua
Honoka'a @ KS-Hawaii
Waimea vs Kauai
Saint Louis vs Punahou
Iolani @ Kamehameha
Leilelua @ Kailua
Waipahu vs Pearl City @ Aiea
Baldwin @ Lahainaluna
Last edited by reignjah11 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aitorahi
High-quality H20 provider
MLB: Washington Nationals
NBA: OKC Thunder
NFL: SF Niners

Re: 2016 HS Football Pick 'Em - Week 5

Post by Aitorahi »

Waianae
Kamehameha
KS-Hawaii
Waipahu
Moanalua
Kauai
Damien
Leilehua
Baldwin
Punahou

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Waianae
Moanalua
Kamehameha
Baldwin
KS-Hawaii
Kauai
Kailua
Damien
Pearl City
Punahou
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

Waianae
Kamehameha
KS-Hawaii
Damien
Moanalua
Baldwin
Pearl City
Leilehua
Waimea
Saint Louis

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

reignjah11 wrote:Waianae
Kamehameha
KS-Hawaii
Damien
Moanalua
Baldwin
Pearl City
Leilehua
Waimea
Saint Louis
@reignjah11: OK, so far you're the only guy on this thread who's going with St Louis. May I ask why? I'm not trying to challenge you or anything; in fact, I want St Louis to win. But, I'm looking for reasons why that's a possibility. I myself would go (reluctantly) with Punahou. However, I have an acquaintance who, like you, is going with St Louis. When I asked him how St Louis would overcome Punahou's pass game, he said he believes DC (and HC) Cal Lee would find a way. However, I just don't think St Louis has the personnel on D to do it. St Louis does have outstanding LBs, but I think that's about it. I could see Kahuku's D containing Punahou's pass game, but I don't see St Louis' D doing it. Some guys think Waianae's D is even better than Kahuku's, but I don't think Waianae's D is as ideal against the pass. They have two good DEs, which certainly make for a good pass-rush off the edges. But their DBs, though pretty good, are kind of short. So, could you say why you are going with St Louis? I'm looking for reasons to believe. I heard that St Louis' defensive down-linemen and secondary are inexperienced. I know that a lot of polls have St Louis just ahead of Punahou, but might that not be only because St Louis is the defending ILH champ? St Louis lost a lot of good players to graduation. Some guys would say, "They're champs until someone knocks them off." But, when they've lost so many good players to graduation, that might only be a case of when, not if.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
reignjah11 wrote:Waianae
Kamehameha
KS-Hawaii
Damien
Moanalua
Baldwin
Pearl City
Leilehua
Waimea
Saint Louis
@reignjah11: OK, so far you're the only guy on this thread who's going with St Louis. May I ask why? I'm not trying to challenge you or anything; in fact, I want St Louis to win. But, I'm looking for reasons why that's a possibility. I myself would go (reluctantly) with Punahou. However, I have an acquaintance who, like you, is going with St Louis. When I asked him how St Louis would overcome Punahou's pass game, he said he believes DC (and HC) Cal Lee would find a way. However, I just don't think St Louis has the personnel on D to do it. St Louis does have outstanding LBs, but I think that's about it. I could see Kahuku's D containing Punahou's pass game, but I don't see St Louis' D doing it. Some guys think Waianae's D is even better than Kahuku's, but I don't think Waianae's D is as ideal against the pass. They have two good DEs, which certainly make for a good pass-rush off the edges. But their DBs, though pretty good, are kind of short. So, could you say why you are going with St Louis? I'm looking for reasons to believe. I heard that St Louis' defensive down-linemen and secondary are inexperienced. I know that a lot of polls have St Louis just ahead of Punahou, but might that not be only because St Louis is the defending ILH champ? St Louis lost a lot of good players to graduation. Some guys would say, "They're champs until someone knocks them off." But, when they've lost so many good players to graduation, that might only be a case of when, not if. Sure, they have Tagovailoa back, but he can't beat Punahou single-handedly.

Localfan808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Localfan808 »

Waianae
Damien
Baldwin
KS Hawaii
Moanalua
Kauai
Waipahu
Leilehua
Kamehameha
Punahou

ka'ahupahau706

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

Waianae
Kamehameha
Damien
Waipahu
Moanalua
KS-Hawaii
Waimea
Kailua
Baldwin
Punahou

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

Waianae
Moanalua
Waipahu
Damien
Baldwin
KS-Hawaii
Kailua
ST. Louis
Kamehameha
Kaua'i

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

reignjah11 wrote:View last week's results and standings here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

*Because a few games got cancelled this past week, week 4 will not be counted towards your total score.

Rules: The game is pretty straight forward. I'll pick 10 games for the week and you post your predicted winners. *However, there is a new twist I'm adding this year! Instead of the underdog bonus point, we will use a confidence point scale instead. ***So what that means is you post your winners in order from the most confident to your least confident pick. Your points will be scored based not only choosing the correct winning team but where you ranked them as well...

10 points - most confident
1 - least confident

Total Perfect Score: 55 points

*There is no deductions for wrong picks.
*You will get 2 throwaway weeks (your 2 lowest week totals will not count toward your total points) - does not include playoff weeks!

The person with the most total points will be crowned the 2016 Pick 'Em Champion!

Week 5 Match ups:
Pac Five vs Damien @ Aloha Stadium
Waianae @ Aiea
Kaiser @ Moanalua
Honoka'a @ KS-Hawaii
Waimea vs Kauai
Saint Louis vs Punahou
Iolani @ Kamehameha
Leilelua @ Kailua
Waipahu vs Pearl City @ Aiea
Baldwin @ Lahainaluna
Waianae - most confident
Kamehameha
Moanalua
Waipahu
Kailua
Baldwin
Damien
Kauai
KS-Hawaii
Saint Louis

HaterOfElitists

Post by HaterOfElitists »

Dog 96707 wrote:Waianae
Moanalua
Waipahu
Damien
Baldwin
KS-Hawaii
Kailua
ST. Louis
Kamehameha
Kaua'i
You really got more confidence in SL beating the Puns than Kamehameha beating Iolani? Is Kamehameha really that bad?

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

HaterOfElitists wrote:
Moanalua
Waipahu
Damien
Baldwin
KS-Hawaii
Kailua
ST. Louis
Kamehameha
Kaua'i
You really got more confidence in SL beating the Puns than Kamehameha beating Iolani? Is Kamehameha really that bad?
Both are really toss ups to me. I really just went the opposite of the majority with the STL pick. LOL I think both teams are pretty even. Kam/Iolani is kind of a toss up to me only because Kams D against the pass looked terrible last week. And I think Iolani can pass the ball around pretty well (although they didn't against STL). Kam has the better athletes but haven't really shown anything special so far.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dog 96707 wrote:
HaterOfElitists wrote:
Moanalua
Waipahu
Damien
Baldwin
KS-Hawaii
Kailua
ST. Louis
Kamehameha
Kaua'i
Both are really toss ups to me. I really just went the opposite of the majority with the STL pick. LOL I think both teams are pretty even. Kam/Iolani is kind of a toss up to me only because Kams D against the pass looked terrible last week. And I think Iolani can pass the ball around pretty well (although they didn't against STL). Kam has the better athletes but haven't really shown anything special so far.
@Dog 96707: Really, I don't think Iolani's pass game is anywhere near as good as Punahou's. I'm not a Punahou fan, believe me, so it pains me to say that. Both Iolani's QB and receivers aren't as good as Punahou's. If Iolani couldn't throw against St Louis, I don't know how much better they can throw against Kamehameha. Kamehameha has two outstanding returnees on the D-line, and two returning safeties. So, what the heck happened against Punahou? Good question. You'd have to ask Kamehameha's D. Kamehameha's pass-D stank-up Aloha Stadium. Having said that, Kamehameha ran the ball pretty well against Punahou, so you'd think they could certainly run the ball against Iolani.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

Waianae @ Aiea - most confident
Moanalua vs Kaiser
Kamehameha vs Iolani
Leilehua @ Kailua
KS-Hawaii vs Honoka'a
Pearl City vs Waipahu @ Aiea -- Waipahu looks like a title contender and if I were betting real money I'd probably go with them, but I'm not so no reason for me to go against my alma mater
Waimea vs Kauai
Baldwin @ Lahainaluna
Punahou vs Saint Louis
Pac Five vs Damien @ Aloha Stadium -- least confident

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hope you all don't mind my simply making a comment without posting picks, but it occurred to me that the Mililani / Nanakuli game will probably get pretty ugly score-wise. I think Nanakuli is going to get murdered. What a mismatch. There are teams playing each other this year that really shouldn't be playing each other. Look at Radford. And, what happened to Anuenue? Heard they've had to forfeit games left and right. It's amazing, the extreme disparity among schools in football.