2016 HS Football Pick 'Em - Week 5

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Re: 2016 HS Football Pick 'Em - Week 5

Post by reignjah11 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:Hope you all don't mind my simply making a comment without posting picks, but it occurred to me that the Mililani / Nanakuli game will probably get pretty ugly score-wise. I think Nanakuli is going to get murdered. What a mismatch. There are teams playing each other this year that really shouldn't be playing each other. Look at Radford. And, what happened to Anuenue? Heard they've had to forfeit games left and right. It's amazing, the extreme disparity among schools in football.
Talk about a mismatch, just saw the kahuku-radford score...84-0 yikes! Hopefully that performance can carry over against Gorman next week!

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
reignjah11 wrote:Waianae
Kamehameha
KS-Hawaii
Damien
Moanalua
Baldwin
Pearl City
Leilehua
Waimea
Saint Louis
@reignjah11: OK, so far you're the only guy on this thread who's going with St Louis. May I ask why? I'm not trying to challenge you or anything; in fact, I want St Louis to win. But, I'm looking for reasons why that's a possibility. I myself would go (reluctantly) with Punahou. However, I have an acquaintance who, like you, is going with St Louis. When I asked him how St Louis would overcome Punahou's pass game, he said he believes DC (and HC) Cal Lee would find a way. However, I just don't think St Louis has the personnel on D to do it. St Louis does have outstanding LBs, but I think that's about it. I could see Kahuku's D containing Punahou's pass game, but I don't see St Louis' D doing it. Some guys think Waianae's D is even better than Kahuku's, but I don't think Waianae's D is as ideal against the pass. They have two good DEs, which certainly make for a good pass-rush off the edges. But their DBs, though pretty good, are kind of short. So, could you say why you are going with St Louis? I'm looking for reasons to believe. I heard that St Louis' defensive down-linemen and secondary are inexperienced. I know that a lot of polls have St Louis just ahead of Punahou, but might that not be only because St Louis is the defending ILH champ? St Louis lost a lot of good players to graduation. Some guys would say, "They're champs until someone knocks them off." But, when they've lost so many good players to graduation, that might only be a case of when, not if.
Can't give you a good reason as I haven't got to see either team play. But I expect a high score game (and it is!) with it coming down to whoever has the ball last. I know what Tua can do so I trust him to win the game more than I do the punahou qb.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

reignjah11 wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:Hope you all don't mind my simply making a comment without posting picks, but it occurred to me that the Mililani / Nanakuli game will probably get pretty ugly score-wise. I think Nanakuli is going to get murdered. What a mismatch. There are teams playing each other this year that really shouldn't be playing each other. Look at Radford. And, what happened to Anuenue? Heard they've had to forfeit games left and right. It's amazing, the extreme disparity among schools in football.
Talk about a mismatch, just saw the kahuku-radford score...84-0 yikes! Hopefully that performance can carry over against Gorman next week!
@reignjah11: Yeah, I should have mentioned that matchup; I had totally forgotten about it. Anyway, isn't it ridiculous that Kahuku and Radford should even be playing each other this year? I think the only team Radford can beat this year is Anuenue, and I'm not saying that to insult Radford alumni. I'm saying it in a dispassionate, clinical, matter-of-fact way, just based on things being what they are this year.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

reignjah11 wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
reignjah11 wrote:Waianae
Kamehameha
KS-Hawaii
Damien
Moanalua
Baldwin
Pearl City
Leilehua
Waimea
Saint Louis
@reignjah11: OK, so far you're the only guy on this thread who's going with St Louis. May I ask why? I'm not trying to challenge you or anything; in fact, I want St Louis to win. But, I'm looking for reasons why that's a possibility. I myself would go (reluctantly) with Punahou. However, I have an acquaintance who, like you, is going with St Louis. When I asked him how St Louis would overcome Punahou's pass game, he said he believes DC (and HC) Cal Lee would find a way. However, I just don't think St Louis has the personnel on D to do it. St Louis does have outstanding LBs, but I think that's about it. I could see Kahuku's D containing Punahou's pass game, but I don't see St Louis' D doing it. Some guys think Waianae's D is even better than Kahuku's, but I don't think Waianae's D is as ideal against the pass. They have two good DEs, which certainly make for a good pass-rush off the edges. But their DBs, though pretty good, are kind of short. So, could you say why you are going with St Louis? I'm looking for reasons to believe. I heard that St Louis' defensive down-linemen and secondary are inexperienced. I know that a lot of polls have St Louis just ahead of Punahou, but might that not be only because St Louis is the defending ILH champ? St Louis lost a lot of good players to graduation. Some guys would say, "They're champs until someone knocks them off." But, when they've lost so many good players to graduation, that might only be a case of when, not if.
Can't give you a good reason as I haven't got to see either team play. But I expect a high score game (and it is!) with it coming down to whoever has the ball last. I know what Tua can do so I trust him to win the game more than I do the punahou qb.
@reignjah11: Look at how prophetic you were. Tuatagovailoa was a one-man wrecking crew, having a part in all nine TDs against Punahou. When was the last time Punahou had nine TDs scored against it?