Kapolei vs Mililani - What have we learned about the rest of the OIA

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Kapolei vs Mililani - What have we learned about the rest of the OIA

Post by rrforlifebaby »

First off, as a UH alum, it was really fun to watch Kapolei's offense last night. It really looks like Tua and his receivers are getting into the groove of June Jones' offense. Defensively, 'canes look really solid, even with various people out with injuries(as was constantly pointed out by Felipe Ojastro and Coach Hernandez).

So my questions, is Kapolei really that good(being able to dominate with kids sitting out)?
Mililani squeak by Farrington last week. Farrington has a tough game against Leilehua. Leilehua gets blown out by Kahuku and Kapolei. Kapolei gets blown up by Waianae. Kahuku dominates Waianae.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Kapolei vs Mililani - What have we learned about the rest of the OIA

Post by Markeke »

Farrington almost beat Mililani last week. On a neutral field, I think they could. The Red side of the OIA is weaker. Kapolei could win out and be #1 in the Red. Waianae win at Kapolei was not a fluke. The Waianae defense is tough. I think Coach Young should look into the Stanford Pound offense with Rosario being the wildcat. During playoffs, against a pass happy team, this would work. The OIA power is Kahuku,Waianae,Kapolei,Farrington & Mililani in that order.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I think the five teams mentioned so far are the top five OIA teams but,only four are going to make Open Division states this year.
The ILH teams have struggled against physical run first Kahuku.Mililani has been and still is a combo run-pass threat,but I believe they aren'T at the level of the previous three seasons...loss to Kapolei solidifies that in my mind. I like what I have seen out of Waianae so far this year. Farrington unveiled a jumbo set. For whatever reason,the Govs have decided they can go big like Kahuku and start grinding people on the ground. My guess is that the OIA Open Division reps this year will be Kahuku,Waianae,Farrington,and Kapolei.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

Last night was by far the best I've seen Kapolei play so far this season, especially on offense, and the worst I've seen Mililani play, again, especially on offense. Both teams had more than their fair share of dropped passes, especially in the 1st half.

The most obvious thing I noticed was that in the battle of sophomore QBs, Tagovailoa is progressing a fair amount faster than Gabriel is. Stronger arm.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

bandits1 wrote:Last night was by far the best I've seen Kapolei play so far this season, especially on offense, and the worst I've seen Mililani play, again, especially on offense. Both teams had more than their fair share of dropped passes, especially in the 1st half.

The most obvious thing I noticed was that in the battle of sophomore QBs, Tagovailoa is progressing a fair amount faster than Gabriel is. Stronger arm.
Tagovailoa is really impressive. By his senior year, as long as he continues to progress, I wouldn't be surprised if he follows and maybe surpasses his brother in the Elite 11. I'm a RRFL, but would be pretty cool to see if Hawaii will produce 2 top 5 qb's within 3 years of each other, and brothers at that.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

One big thing in the Kahuku vs.Waianae , as compared to Mill vs.Kap .lot of maturity and respect . No chirping, cheap shots, taunting. That would reflect on your penalty yards. Straight up physical ballz.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Markeke wrote:One big thing in the Kahuku vs.Waianae , as compared to Mill vs.Kap .lot of maturity and respect . No chirping, cheap shots, taunting. That would reflect on your penalty yards. Straight up physical ballz.
@Markeke: Indeed. What I suspect is that since Kahuku has so much alumni support, the players feel it would be too flagrant to upset all those alumni by talking trash across the line or after a play, possibly drawing a penalty. I suspect that all those alumni supporters are a form of pressure that tends to keep the players in line. As for Waianae, they have a lot of fights in school; I hear that they have fights every week. Yet, for whatever reason, the football players tend to behave during a game, and this has been true for a number of years. And this year, as you said, Kahuku and Waianae are about "straight-up physical ballz." Both teams are very physical, and in particular, both teams have very physical D this year. The two teams might have the two best defensive front-sevens in the state. Someone on this website said he thinks Waianae's defensive front-seven is even better than Kahuku's, and of course, that's saying a lot. Waianae is usually very physical, anyway. I recall from as far back as the mid-'70s, Waianae had a reputation for being a very hard-hitting team.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

There was chirping going on, but I think for the most part, both the Kahuku and Waianae squads were disciplined enough to just keep it at chirping.

I'm a homer, and I'm not going to budge on who has the best front 7 just yet, but I am impressed by Waianae's bunch. Kapolei looks to have a pretty good front 7 as well; will be interesting to see how much better they will be when all the starters get on the field at the same time.

One thing we did learn, although the Trojan's lost the big 3, they still have enough talent to beat most of the OIA. But when it comes to matching up with teams who are more physical and have equal or more skilled talent, they're a far drop off from the previous years.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Markeke wrote:One big thing in the Kahuku vs.Waianae , as compared to Mill vs.Kap .lot of maturity and respect . No chirping, cheap shots, taunting. That would reflect on your penalty yards. Straight up physical ballz.
@Markeke: Indeed. What I suspect is that since Kahuku has so much alumni support, the players feel it would be too flagrant to upset all those alumni by talking trash across the line or after a play, possibly drawing a penalty. I suspect that all those alumni supporters are a form of pressure that tends to keep the players in line. As for Waianae, they have a lot of fights in school; I hear that they have fights every week. Yet, for whatever reason, the football players tend to behave during a game, and this has been true for a number of years. And this year, as you said, Kahuku and Waianae are about "straight-up physical ballz." Both teams are very physical, and in particular, both teams have very physical D this year. The two teams might have the two best defensive front-sevens in the state. Someone on this website said he thinks Waianae's defensive front-seven is even better than Kahuku's, and of course, that's saying a lot. Waianae is usually very physical, anyway. I recall from as far back as the mid-'70s, Waianae had a reputation for being a very hard-hitting team.
OK, I'm going to have to amend what I said. Just about 5 minutes ago, I talked to an O-lineman. I'm not going to mention his name or his school, but the school isn't Kahuku. Anyway, last year, in a game against Kahuku, he said one of Kahuku's D-linemen talked trash to him. He said the D-lineman across from him was talking smack to him, saying, "You're sh*tty, get off the field." I guess it's possible that all schools' linemen, especially, talk trash to each other across the line. Not surprising, in that they're facing each other and are only a few feet away from each other. I guess linemen are tempted to talk smack when they're at such close range.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

bandits1 wrote:Last night was by far the best I've seen Kapolei play so far this season, especially on offense, and the worst I've seen Mililani play, again, especially on offense. Both teams had more than their fair share of dropped passes, especially in the 1st half.

Well Tagovailoa does have a full season under his belt and this is Gabriel's first "real" season plus he's coming off an injury