Tua / Alabama

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Tua / Alabama

Post by Markeke »

@HS Football Fanatic. Seeing that you are a true UH fan I can agree with your points. The thing is Rolo would have to build around him. That and D. But that's another subject.

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
@SM96753: Brennan went to the Redskins. While Tagovailoa might not be as good a pure passer as Brennan was, Tagovailoa can scramble better than Brennan could. (Sorry, forgot about Brennan in my earlier post).
Not sure but did Colt Brennan even play a down in any NFL regular season game? I can't remember him ever seeing an iota of playing time?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

SM96753 wrote:
@SM96753: Brennan went to the Redskins. While Tagovailoa might not be as good a pure passer as Brennan was, Tagovailoa can scramble better than Brennan could. (Sorry, forgot about Brennan in my earlier post).
Not sure but did Colt Brennan even play a down in any NFL regular season game? I can't remember him ever seeing an iota of playing time?
@SM96753: Well, that's not UH's fault. Once Brennan left UH for the NFL, anything that happened after that was all on him. I mean, he was a Heisman candidate. If he faltered once he went pro, there's nothing UH could do about that. If Brennan had played for any other college team, the same thing might have happened. Once you're a Heisman candidate, you can't say your college dragged you down when you go pro. That would be unfair, and a contradiction. I.e., if you're good enough to be a Heisman candidate, how can you blame anyone else if you don't do well as a pro? There are many successful NFL players who weren't Heisman candidates.

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

SM96753 wrote:
@SM96753: Well, that's not UH's fault. Once Brennan left UH for the NFL, anything that happened after that was all on him. I mean, he was a Heisman candidate. If he faltered once he went pro, there's nothing UH could do about that. If Brennan had played for any other college team, the same thing might have happened. Once you're a Heisman candidate, you can't say your college dragged you down when you go pro. That would be unfair, and a contradiction. I.e., if you're good enough to be a Heisman candidate, how can you blame anyone else if you don't do well as a pro? There are many successful NFL players who weren't Heisman candidates.
I'm not blaming anyone. UH is my home team. My wife is a UH alum and I will always root for them. However, I think Tua would be bleepin' nuts if he chose UH over some of the other schools that are knocking on his door.

You brought up Colt Brennan and I simply asked if he had ever played a single snap in an NFL regular or playoff game.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

SM96753 wrote:
SM96753 wrote:
I'm not blaming anyone. UH is my home team. My wife is a UH alum and I will always root for them. However, I think Tua would be bleepin' nuts if he chose UH over some of the other schools that are knocking on his door.

You brought up Colt Brennan and I simply asked if he had ever played a single snap in an NFL regular or playoff game.
@SM96753: I'm a UH alumnus myself; therefore I do my duty of promoting my alma mater. I think the following are what a QB of Tagovailoa's caliber is looking for:
1. A D1 university.
2. An HC who's willing to go with a pass game.
3. Being named the starting QB his freshman year.
4. Having the team make at least one college bowl.
5. Make the NFL.

If Tagovailoa chooses UH, #s 1,2,3, and 5 are virtually certain. As for #4, well, I guess it would depend on Tagovailoa's supporting cast. Back in '06-'07, Brennan had the supporting cast. There's no reason to believe that Tagovailoa wouldn't. If he were to choose UH, you'd think great receivers would gravitate to UH to join him. Again, what Brennan did with the Redskins was all on him. There's no reason to assume that Tagovailoa wouldn't play a single snap in an NFL game if he played for UH. Some are saying that Tagovailoa might be the best high-school QB in the nation right now. When you're that good, any D1 pass-oriented college team who will start you, will do. You are 99% certain to make the NFL afterwards. Therefore, UH will do. If 'Bama won't start Tagovailoa, UH almost certainly will. Being on the best college team in the nation doesn't mean squat if you're riding the pine. Since Tagovailoa is already right here on Oahu, and he's from the state of Hawaii, I hope he will consider the home team. What a perfect combination. (And, he can simply drive to Kapolei's games to watch his younger brother play. What would be trippy about that is that June Jones, of course, is Kapolei's OC, and works closely with Taulia. And, of course, Jones was Brennan's HC at UH. There'd be a kind of cosmic connection. Anyone else still amazed that Jones is OC at Kapolei? You'd think that a coach of Jones' caliber--with his credentials and resume--wouldn't even consider coaching at the high-school level, especially as only an assistant coach. I give him credit. I don't know, I just think there's something surreal about Jones roaming Kapolei's sidelines as an OC, when previously he was HC at UH when they went to the Sugar Bowl.)

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

I don't think starting his "true" freshman year is a top priority of Tua. If that was the case I don't think he would've chosen Alabama, even before Jalen Hurts came into the forefront. I think he wants to go to a good school, with a good coach and good offensive scheme that he can fit in, a team that will be competitive and relevant in the national spotlight, and will possibly get him prepared for the NFL. In that order. As much as it hurts I don't think UH was and ever will be in running. If I'm Rolo I'm seriously going after Taulia

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

EITSwarrior wrote:I don't think starting his "true" freshman year is a top priority of Tua. If that was the case I don't think he would've chosen Alabama, even before Jalen Hurts came into the forefront. I think he wants to go to a good school, with a good coach and good offensive scheme that he can fit in, a team that will be competitive and relevant in the national spotlight, and will possibly get him prepared for the NFL. In that order. As much as it hurts I don't think UH was and ever will be in running. If I'm Rolo I'm seriously going after Taulia
@EITSwarrior: Again, some guys think Tua is the best high-school QB in the nation right now. A QB that good really should pick a school--a D1 school--that will actually start him his freshman year. There's no reason a QB that good should have to sit-out his freshman year. I suspect that Tua is enamored of 'Bama just because they've been at the top of the heap for two years. That's a shame. For one thing, there's no guarantee that 'Bama will stay #1, of course. And, if academics were really a top concern for Tua, obviously there are other prominent D1 colleges--with good football teams--that can offer him a better education than 'Bama. You're right, there's only so much that UH could offer Tua. Having said that, I do think Rolo is a good coach, and I do think that he'd be willing to build an offensive scheme around Tua. Heck, Rolo himself was a fine college QB, and UH had a pass-oriented O when he was QB there. And again, I don't think you have to play for the #1 team in the nation to be relevant to NFL scouts. If you're an outstanding QB, you're an outstanding QB whether you play for 'Bama or UH. I think NFL scouts are more concerned about your potential than about which college you played for. And, unlike baseball, it's not like some college football HC or OC can "screw-up" a QB the way a college pitching coach can screw-up a pitcher's delivery and/or arm by making him pitch a certain way. If identifying an NFL-potential QB depended on that QB playing for the #1 team in the nation and such, we wouldn't need NFL scouts. I'm sure Tua is already on the radar screen of NFL scouts, and they will pursue him. I doubt that that will change, whether he goes to 'Bama or UH or any other school. You're right, UH is probably way down on Tua's list, but UH is an option for him nonetheless.

ainoa808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ainoa808 »

Daniel Jeremiah had this to say on the subject. He was talking about Blake Barnett transferring due to Hurts getting the job, but can apply to all D1 QB situations.
https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/781916622206308352

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: @SM96753: I'm a UH alumnus myself; therefore I do my duty of promoting my alma mater. I think the following are what a QB of Tagovailoa's caliber is looking for:
1. A D1 university.
5. Make the NFL.

If Tagovailoa chooses UH, #s 1,2,3, and 5 are virtually certain. . If he were to choose UH, you'd think great receivers would gravitate to UH to join him. There's no reason to assume that Tagovailoa wouldn't play a single snap in an NFL game if he played for UH. Some are saying that Tagovailoa might be the best high-school QB in the nation right now. When you're that good, any D1 pass-oriented college team who will start you, will do. You are 99% certain to make the NFL afterwards. Therefore, UH will do.
Are you really serious? The NFL is NO guarantee for any one. Good gosh, it sounds like you've got Tua already enshrined in Canton. Don't get me wrong, I only wish the best for this young man wherever he decides to attend college. You're kidding yourself if you believe that the "great" receivers would gravitate to UH. UH does NOT get 5 star recruits...period. Unfortunately, It is a bottom tier program and that's the truth.

Have you ever heard of Dayne Crist, Garret Gilbert, Russell Shephard, Mitch Mustain, Ryan Perrilloux, just to name a few? All 5 star quarterbacks that never sniffed the NFL. There is no guarantee.

Your statement of, "When you're that good, any D1 pass-oriented college team who will start you, will do. You are 99% certain to make the NFL afterwards." is very idiotic! There is no way you can believe that. That has got to be one of the most stupidest things that I have ever read on this board. A player still has to be developed. These guys are 18, 19, 20 years old for goodness sake. Tua has so much more to learn and UH is not the best program that will refine and develop his skills....pure and simple.

I will never have animosity toward any young man (or young lady) that wishes to attend college in the mainland or anywhere in the world for that matter. The world is an exciting place and I only wish them the best.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

SM96753 wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote: @SM96753: I'm a UH alumnus myself; therefore I do my duty of promoting my alma mater. I think the following are what a QB of Tagovailoa's caliber is looking for:
1. A D1 university.
5. Make the NFL.

If Tagovailoa chooses UH, #s 1,2,3, and 5 are virtually certain. . If he were to choose UH, you'd think great receivers would gravitate to UH to join him. There's no reason to assume that Tagovailoa wouldn't play a single snap in an NFL game if he played for UH. Some are saying that Tagovailoa might be the best high-school QB in the nation right now. When you're that good, any D1 pass-oriented college team who will start you, will do. You are 99% certain to make the NFL afterwards. Therefore, UH will do.
Are you really serious? The NFL is NO guarantee for any one. Good gosh, it sounds like you've got Tua already enshrined in Canton. Don't get me wrong, I only wish the best for this young man wherever he decides to attend college. You're kidding yourself if you believe that the "great" receivers would gravitate to UH. UH does NOT get 5 star recruits...period. Unfortunately, It is a bottom tier program and that's the truth.

Have you ever heard of Dayne Crist, Garret Gilbert, Russell Shephard, Mitch Mustain, Ryan Perrilloux, just to name a few? All 5 star quarterbacks that never sniffed the NFL. There is no guarantee.

Your statement of, "When you're that good, any D1 pass-oriented college team who will start you, will do. You are 99% certain to make the NFL afterwards." is very idiotic! There is no way you can believe that. That has got to be one of the most stupidest things that I have ever read on this board. A player still has to be developed. These guys are 18, 19, 20 years old for goodness sake. Tua has so much more to learn and UH is not the best program that will refine and develop his skills....pure and simple.

I will never have animosity toward any young man (or young lady) that wishes to attend college in the mainland or anywhere in the world for that matter. The world is an exciting place and I only wish them the best.
@SM96753:
1. OK, let's say Tagovailoa is 85% certain to make the NFL. Is that low enough for you? All sarcasm aside, I do suppose 99% is ridiculously high, in retrospect. But, I repeat: Some guys consider Tagovailoa the best high-school QB in the nation right now. And, when he committed to 'Bama--the #1 college team in the nation--during his junior year, no one laughed or said, "That has got to be one of the 'most stupidest' (bad English) things 'Bama has ever considered."
2. "Great receivers won't gravitate to UH, it's a bottom-tier program." OK, then explain the receivers that Brennan had at UH in '06-'07. Here was a "bottom tier" program that went to the Sugar Bowl that year. Yes, they were murdered by Georgia, but they still made the Sugar Bowl. We're not talking some minor, two-cent, Johnny-come-lately college bowl. The Sugar Bowl is one of the grand old college bowls, up there with the likes of the Rose Bowl, Cotton Bowl, etc. A team doesn't make the Sugar Bowl unless it's one of the most highly-regarded teams in the nation. As I recall, this "bottom-tier" program--UH--was ranked as high as #10 nationally at one point that year.
3. As a UH alumnus, I'm not about to encourage blue-chip players like Tagovailoa to "attend college (on) the mainland or anywhere in the world..." I'm going to support my alma mater and encourage them to attend UH. You may consider UH a "bottom-tier" program, but it is a D1 program, it happens to be the home team, and the state of Hawaii is Tagovailoa's home.

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: @SM96753:
1. OK, let's say Tagovailoa is 85% certain to make the NFL. Is that low enough for you? All sarcasm aside, I do suppose 99% is ridiculously high, in retrospect. But, I repeat: Some guys consider Tagovailoa the best high-school QB in the nation right now. And, when he committed to 'Bama--the #1 college team in the nation--during his junior year, no one laughed or said, "That has got to be one of the 'most stupidest' (bad English) things 'Bama has ever considered."
2. "Great receivers won't gravitate to UH, it's a bottom-tier program." OK, then explain the receivers that Brennan had at UH in '06-'07. Here was a "bottom tier" program that went to the Sugar Bowl that year. Yes, they were murdered by Georgia, but they still made the Sugar Bowl. We're not talking some minor, two-cent, Johnny-come-lately college bowl. The Sugar Bowl is one of the grand old college bowls, up there with the likes of the Rose Bowl, Cotton Bowl, etc. A team doesn't make the Sugar Bowl unless it's one of the most highly-regarded teams in the nation. As I recall, this "bottom-tier" program--UH--was ranked as high as #10 nationally at one point that year.
3. As a UH alumnus, I'm not about to encourage blue-chip players like Tagovailoa to "attend college (on) the mainland or anywhere in the world..." I'm going to support my alma mater and encourage them to attend UH. You may consider UH a "bottom-tier" program, but it is a D1 program, it happens to be the home team, and the state of Hawaii is Tagovailoa's home.
On your 1st statement: I don't know how you're coming up with your 99%-85% figure of making the NFL. In my prior post, I gave you the names of multiple 5 star recruits that never sniffed the NFL. These players were also considered to be the "best high school QB's in the nation". Nothing is, as you say, "certain."

On your 2nd statement: You said, "OK, then explain the receivers that Brennan had at UH in '06-'07." What about them? God bless these guys, but not one of them were highly touted recruits. Grice-Mullen was a 2 star and Rivers was a 3 star. Also, if you're thinking of Davone Bess, remember that UH was NOT his first choice. He attended Oregon State. The only reason he came here was because Jones helped him with his "issues".

On your 3rd statement: Look, I get it. You're passionate about UH. Even though I graduated college in the mainland, I still root for my home team (except when they go up against the Sun Devils). Like how I told Kanoa Leahey, over the years my wife and I have donated a lot of our hard earned money to the athletic program (the Frazier debacle really pissed us off so we stopped). I hope that Rolo creates a national contender, I really do! However, there are many schools out there that would develop Tagovailoa's potential way better that Hawaii's.

And by the way, UH got exposed by the Georgia Bulldogs in the Sugar Bowl. Where was UH ranked after that beating...or should I say: prison rape?

mic drop

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

SM96753 wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote: @SM96753:
On your 1st statement: I don't know how you're coming up with your 99%-85% figure of making the NFL. In my prior post, I gave you the names of multiple 5 star recruits that never sniffed the NFL. These players were also considered to be the "best high school QB's in the nation". Nothing is, as you say, "certain."

On your 2nd statement: You said, "OK, then explain the receivers that Brennan had at UH in '06-'07." What about them? God bless these guys, but not one of them were highly touted recruits. Grice-Mullen was a 2 star and Rivers was a 3 star. Also, if you're thinking of Davone Bess, remember that UH was NOT his first choice. He attended Oregon State. The only reason he came here was because Jones helped him with his "issues".

On your 3rd statement: Look, I get it. You're passionate about UH. Even though I graduated college in the mainland, I still root for my home team (except when they go up against the Sun Devils). Like how I told Kanoa Leahey, over the years my wife and I have donated a lot of our hard earned money to the athletic program (the Frazier debacle really pissed us off so we stopped). I hope that Rolo creates a national contender, I really do! However, there are many schools out there that would develop Tagovailoa's potential way better that Hawaii's.

And by the way, UH got exposed by the Georgia Bulldogs in the Sugar Bowl. Where was UH ranked after that beating...or should I say: prison rape?

mic drop
@SM96753:
1. I have no scientific "formula" for those percentages; you can set them much lower, if you wish.
2. OK, so those UH receivers weren't "highly touted." But, they were good enough to get UH to the Sugar Bowl. A pass-oriented team gets to the Sugar Bowl by having receivers that play very well, regardless of how they may have been "touted." Bottom line: UH had receivers good enough to get to the Sugar Bowl before; no reason to assume it can't have them again. There's a precedent.
3. It was very nice of you to donate to UH athletics as you did. And yes, of course there are better college teams that Tagovailoa could join; no one is denying that. But, as a UH alumnus, I'd rather see him join UH's team. That's really the gist of what I've been trying to say.
4. Yes, we know that Georgia murdered UH; I said that in my post. It happens; they weren't the first team to be murdered in a bowl game. So does that mean UH shouldn't even aim for a bowl game again? Of course not. You get up, dust yourself off, and move on. I don't think UH is wearing that loss to Georgia like some millstone around its neck. That Sugar Bowl was ten years ago; UH has moved on, and every year (and every new recruiting class) presents new opportunities. If Tagovailoa were to play for UH, hopefully there'd be a more positive outcome, wherever UH ends-up in postseason.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

The fact is, no matter how good anyone and no matter where they go, every year their coach is going to be recruiting someone in the same position as them to come play for that school. Tagovailoa is just gonna have to outplay Hurts, outplay the other highly rated QB committed to Bama, and outplay every other future QB committed to go to Bama.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Oregon & USC continue to struggle at QB. Won't be surprised if they make a last days push for Tua before LOI day

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

BigWave96744 wrote:Oregon & USC continue to struggle at QB. Won't be surprised if they make a last days push for Tua before LOI day
I'm pretty sure Tua will go to wherever he feels he has a chance to start immediately. Unless something drastic happens at Alabama, there qb position looks pretty solid for the next couple of years.