HHSAA creates Open Division Football Playoffs

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: HHSAA creates Open Division Football Playoffs

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:@gopunahou: Actually, I'm not shedding any tears for Iolani, as I'm not an Iolani alumnus. I don't think they can play Kamehameha three times either, and be successful. I don't think Iolani can play any of the ILH's Big Three three times, and be successful.
Are you suggesting that Iolani forfeit its playoff game against one of the Big Three? I doubt they'll suffer injuries to lower their numbers to below 20.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

One question: how will the OIA decide who the D1 team participants are? Will they be the losers of the OIA quarterfinals game? Will there be a consolation tournament featuring teams that can't advance to the OIA Playoffs Final Four?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:@gopunahou: Actually, I'm not shedding any tears for Iolani, as I'm not an Iolani alumnus. I don't think they can play Kamehameha three times either, and be successful. I don't think Iolani can play any of the ILH's Big Three three times, and be successful.
Are you suggesting that Iolani forfeit its playoff game against one of the Big Three? I doubt they'll suffer injuries to lower their numbers to below 20.
@gopunahou: No, I'm not suggesting that Iolani forfeit any games. I'm saying that Iolani probably can't play any of the ILH Big Three three times, and be successful. At best, Iolani might win one of three games against any of the Big Three.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
gopunahou wrote:
@gopunahou: No, I'm not suggesting that Iolani forfeit any games. I'm saying that Iolani probably can't play any of the ILH Big Three three times, and be successful. At best, Iolani might win one of three games against any of the Big Three.
The good news for Iolani is that they'll get three weeks of rest before playing their first playoff game in the D1 tournament. That is unless they win in the 1st round of the ILH playoffs, which is unlikely as I think that'll be Iolani's worst loss of the season.

HaterOfElitists
High-quality H20 provider

Post by HaterOfElitists »

One question: does oldnite hate the fact that Iolani is playing in D1?

HaterOfElitists

Post by HaterOfElitists »

http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football ... ournament/

Typical OIA move by the crybabies who blame the ILH for everything that's doodoo in their life. These OIA-loving crybabies need somebody to help them get laid. Oh wait, because they can't get laid, they'll blame the OIA for that!

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

The OIA is looking at the fairness of this new HHSAA .format. Unlike the ILH, the OIA uses a 12 team championship series. In other words ALL 12 teams have a clean slate. The ILH uses the best record unless the top 2 have a tied season. Then they play 1 extra game or championship. BUT THE TOP 2 moves on. As it stands, Iolani or Kamehameha will not have a shot, but IOLANI has a lock D1 State slot It's much more complicated in the OIA. Under the HHSAA all quarterfinal losers go home and the remainders go to the Open States? At this point the OIA D1 losers declare D1 States? What if Waianae or Kahuku lose in the quarters, are they eligible for D1 State? Should the OIA make the top 4 OIA D1 play for the OIA championship so the top 4 is guaranteed? Then push the remainders to HHSAA D1 States? Why should the top 4 OIA teams beat up each other before States? When the ILH has an outright champion, they usually have a few weeks rest while the OIA is beating up each other. Right now the OIA does not have a championship format for 3 tiers and there will be a massive confusion at the end of this regular season. The OIA is right
Too much unanswered questions in a limited time line.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

I'm glad the OIA decided to give this a shot.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

rrforlifebaby wrote:I'm glad the OIA decided to give this a shot.
True on that rrfl, just hope OIA understands the impact the extra post season OIA games have on injuries. Gabriel last year forcing Milton to come out and getting reinjured. Tuli Matagi in the 2014. The OIA playoffs can be physically brutal.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Markeke wrote:
True on that rrfl, just hope OIA understands the impact the extra post season OIA games have on injuries. Gabriel last year forcing Milton to come out and getting reinjured. Tuli Matagi in the 2014. The OIA playoffs can be physically brutal.
The ILH can be, too. Punahou could play St. Louis four times before the playoffs start, plus three games against Kamehameha. I think both leagues are equally brutal.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote:
Markeke wrote:
The ILH can be, too. Punahou could play St. Louis four times before the playoffs start, plus three games against Kamehameha. I think both leagues are equally brutal.
@gopunahou: Gotta agree with you there. St Louis, Punahou, and Kamehameha are just as physical as any three teams in the OIA. Plus, each of those three ILH teams might have to play each other three times or more.