HHSAA creates Open Division Football Playoffs

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HaterOfElitists
High-quality H20 provider

Re: HHSAA creates Open Division Football Playoffs

Post by HaterOfElitists »

The OIA fans crying about "unfairness" on hawaiiprepworld and staradvertiser are pathetic. Boo-kefing-hoo! Never leave it past OIA fanboys to play the victim!

If anyone is to be unhappy, might as well be those ILH-hating OIA fanboys. "The ILH is the evil empire because they've taken everything from me, including the girl I was eyeing." Give me a break!
gopunahou wrote:
bandits1 wrote:
unpaid wrote:The HHSAA statement says that the top three ILH D-I teams will play for the two ILH Open Division state playoff spots.

If Kamehameha,Punahou,and St.Louis stick to this it kinda does seem like the ILH is going to screw up the works because one of the Big Three isn't going to get into the Open Division tournament. So, whether it's Punahou,St.Louis ,or Kamehameha that loses in the first round of ILH D-I playoffs,what then. Does that school stay at home,refusing to play the other opening round loser to decide who gets into states in the D-I tourney?

If the season unfolds like I think it might ,then it will be interesting to see which one of the Big Three is the loser in their ILH playoff,then see if they stay home ,not playing in any state tournament just because they can'T make it into the Open Division tournament...
If I'm reading the Scoring Live article correctly, Iolani and Iolani alone will be the lone ILH representative in the D1 tourney. Kinda ridiculous that a team is 100% guaranteed a state tourney birth no matter what, but that's another discussion. St Louis, Punahou and Kam will compete for the two Open slots and the odd-team-out goes home for the season. Period.

It's not clear if it's the exact same deal with Iolani as far as competing in D1 only, but I would think it is. What if by some miracle they win the ILH and they are allowed to compete in the Open tourney -- again if I'm reading the article correctly -- then one other ILH D1 team would make the Open tourney with them and the other two teams go home. Moving down to D1 would not be an option for any of the ILH's "Big 3", thus leaving an empty slot in the D1 tourney.
Regardless, I don't think Iolani will dominate the D1 tournament as much as they dominated D2. Kapolei, Moanalua, and Kailua could all give them a challenge. My money is on Kapoei as I don't think they'll make the Open Division tournament (lackluster showings so far against the Big Boys).
At least Iolani is playing better competition than they did when they toiled in D2, but will they continue to be willing to do that--especially if they don't win the D1 title this year?

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

Step in the right direction for sure!! This is great for any HS football fan, all the big dogs playoff in the open division. The kinks in the other division tournaments seem a little strange, like that "iolani rule". Iolani gets a free pass into the div 1 tournament?? not a fan of that, they could essentially not win a regular season game and get into the state tournament. Another one is the BIIF getting 2 teams into the div 1 tournament. Oh well, it is what it is. More teams mean more kids get a shot at playing more games. Which is great for the kids. Like I said it's a step in the right direction, and maybe a step closer to that "super conference" idea. I just think that it's funny that this new format gets announced 3 weeks into the season, 3 weeks of "open" teams blowing out their opponents........LOL!!!

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

What happens if an OIA team that declares for "D1" division is in the OIA semi-finals?

What happens if two or three teams that declare for D1 end up in the OIA semi-finals?

DO OIA TEAMS HAVE TO DECLARE WHICH DIVISION THEY ARE PLAYING FOR?

What happens if Iolani wins the ILH D1? Or comes in 2nd?

Didn't read the posts above carefully, so sorry if those questions already answered.

I can't tell from the article whether hee OIA's berths in open and D1 will be determined by how they finish in the OIA playoffs, or according to prior declaration of which division they are shooting for.

If the OIA's berths are solely based upon order of finish, then wouldn't if make sense to let the ILH also determine its open and D1 berths according to order of finish? e.g. ILH schools 1 and 2 go to open tourney, ILH school #3 goes to D1??????
Last edited by twnoexcuses on Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HaterOfElitists

Post by HaterOfElitists »

Dog 96707 wrote:Step in the right direction for sure!! This is great for any HS football fan, all the big dogs playoff in the open division. The kinks in the other division tournaments seem a little strange, like that "iolani rule". Iolani gets a free pass into the div 1 tournament?? not a fan of that, they could essentially not win a regular season game and get into the state tournament. Another one is the BIIF getting 2 teams into the div 1 tournament. Oh well, it is what it is. More teams mean more kids get a shot at playing more games. Which is great for the kids. Like I said it's a step in the right direction, and maybe a step closer to that "super conference" idea. I just think that it's funny that this new format gets announced 3 weeks into the season, 3 weeks of "open" teams blowing out their opponents........LOL!!!
I know I rag on Iolani but this is something somebody ELSE suggested--maybe Chris Chun feels sorry for them for going against the Big 3 twice (and possibly playing St. Louis or Punahou THREE times). Chun is an Iolani grad, mind you.

What I do know is that saynotomercs will love this format.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

twnoexcuses wrote:What happens if an OIA team that declares for "D1" division is in the OIA semi-finals?

What happens if two or three teams that declare for D1 end up in the OIA semi-finals?

DO OIA TEAMS HAVE TO DECLARE WHICH DIVISION THEY ARE PLAYING FOR?

What happens if Iolani wins the ILH D1? Or comes in 2nd?

Didn't read the posts above carefully, so sorry if those questions already answered.

I can't tell from the article whether hee OIA's berths in open and D1 will be determined by how they finish in the OIA playoffs, or according to prior declaration of which division they are shooting for.

If the OIA's berths are solely based upon order of finish, then wouldn't if make sense to let the ILH also determine its open and D1 berths according to order of finish? e.g. ILH schools 1 and 2 go to open tourney, ILH school #3 goes to D1??????
Chances are, Iolani will do what they did in 2009--play in the D2 tournament despite finishing with the league's best record and beating its two best D1 teams (Kamehameha and Punahou). That's the last year we lost to them. They'll remain in the division they declare in even if they somehow win the league.

FYI, it won't be the first time a team with a losing record participated in the state tournament. The 2003 Lahainaluna team and the 2002 Farrington team played in states.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

How about the HHSAA keep the OPEN TEAMS limited to 52 players like the Champs Kahuku. That would be fair. Oh and all teams ride in no ac buses.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

HaterOfElitists wrote:At least Iolani is playing better competition than they did when they toiled in D2, but will they continue to be willing to do that--especially if they don't win the D1 title this year?
With this new format it doesn't even matter anymore which division Iolani plays in during the regular season. If they play in ILH D1 they get an automatic birth into the D1 state tourney; if they play in ILH D2 they still get the same automatic birth because Damien, Pac-5 and St Francis are all presumably playing for the D2 tourney. Iolani could go undefeated or winless and it's still a certainty that they're making a state tournament.

The HHSAA is gonna have to do something about that. You can't have a league of one.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

twnoexcuses wrote:If the OIA's berths are solely based upon order of finish, then wouldn't if make sense to let the ILH also determine its open and D1 berths according to order of finish? e.g. ILH schools 1 and 2 go to open tourney, ILH school #3 goes to D1??????
Unless the articles are mistaken -- and this early in the game they easily could be -- the scenario you laid out can't happen because Iolani is already the ILH's automatic entry into the D1 tourney, and the ILH only gets one slot. So it would seem that either St Louis, Punahou or Kam is packing it up early.
Last edited by bandits1 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

I say rank ILH #1 and OIA#1 THEN PULL CARD FOR RANK ON THE REMAINDER 4. MORE INTERESTING. Then start. Oh another thing 52 is the max team size..if Kahuku can do it, all can do it.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Here's a scarey scenerio
OPEN..ST.LOUIS CHAMP PUNAHOU 2ND
D1.....IOLANI CHAMP
D2. ST.FRANCIS CHAMPS...DAMIEN SECOND.

CONGRATS ILH.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

[quote="Markeke"]Here's a scarey scenerio
OPEN..ST.LOUIS CHAMP PUNAHOU 2ND
D1.....IOLANI CHAMP
D2. ST.FRANCIS DAMIEN 2ND.

OR. PUNAHOU#1 AND ST.LOUIS #2
AND
DAMIEN#1. & .. ST.FRANCIS #2

YEEEEAAAAHHHH. ILH.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Markeke wrote:How about the HHSAA keep the OPEN TEAMS limited to 52 players like the Champs Kahuku. That would be fair. Oh and all teams ride in no ac buses.
Some people around the ILH tried that back in the early 2000s when St. Louis was kicking everybody's okole.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I got a suggestion for the ILH: have the Big Three play each other twice, have the "small three" play each other twice, and have ALL teams play Iolani if Iolani is to be the lone representative in D1. Keeps our rivalry with them alive. And let Iolani decide if it wishes to play in the D1 league tournament or D2.

SRJC
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by SRJC »

the biif getting two division 1 teams in division 1 when Konawaena is probably there best team??

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

SRJC wrote:the biif getting two division 1 teams in division 1 when Konawaena is probably there best team??
We will soon find out won't we? Just so you know, DII in the BIIF for the past few years has been the competitive division, beating DI teams on a regular basis. Konawaena, KSH, HPA, and at times Honokaa have put out pretty good teams. Konawaena should be right where they are playing for the DII championship. St. Francis gave them all they could handle and the DII ILH and OIA teams are all competitive. We can tear this championship tournament part and find all the wrong with it, but to me its a fair system to try this year.