Unpaid D-I Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Unpaid D-I Football

Post by unpaid »

Headliners this week,

No.1 Kahuku and No.3 Waianae.

Coach Young has the Seariders performing like a championship team.He seems to be good at in game adjustments. They have two good quality wins against Kapolei and Kamehameha. That said,Kahuku still looks like the team to beat in the OIA. Picking Kahuku for the win. Should be a close battle.

No.5 Farrington at No.9 Mililani. The Govs ran and passed right through a Kailua D that gave St.Louis fits in a scrimmage.It's not much to go on,but I think Farrington gets the better of Mililani this time.Govs get the W.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote:Headliners this week,

No.1 Kahuku and No.3 Waianae.

Coach Young has the Seariders performing like a championship team.He seems to be good at in game adjustments. They have two good quality wins against Kapolei and Kamehameha. That said,Kahuku still looks like the team to beat in the OIA. Picking Kahuku for the win. Should be a close battle.

No.5 Farrington at No.9 Mililani. The Govs ran and passed right through a Kailua D that gave St.Louis fits in a scrimmage.It's not much to go on,but I think Farrington gets the better of Mililani this time.Govs get the W.
@unpaid:
1. Actually, I'm not sure Waianae's win over Kamehameha was a "good, quality" win. Kamehameha played the entire game without its top receiver, its top RB, and its top kicker, all due to injuries. Even then, the game went to the last play, with Waianae winning by 6 on a holding penalty. (Kamehameha's winning TD on the second-to-the-last play of the game was called-back for holding.) I suspect that if the two schools were to play again this week, Kamehameha would pull it out. With their top receiver and top RB back, their O would be significantly better. Unlike Kahuku, Kamehameha has a solid passing game with QB Yam and receiver Cabunoc, and a stronger D than does Kapolei, especially the D-line.
2. I kind of agree with you about Farrington. Farrington really opened my eyes when they blew-out Kailua by 35 points. And as you said, Kailua's D gave St Louis' O a hard rub, and St Louis is no pushover on O. (When was the last time St Louis ever was a pushover on O? 1982?) St Louis has possibly the best QB in the state in Tua Tagovailoa, they've been racking-up lots of points, and most polls have St Louis ranked #2 in the state. How about Farrington over Mililani by 7?

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

lol. when was the last time St Louis was a pushover on O???? hmmmmmm......

I'll admit, trojans have more substance than i gave them credit for in the off season. but without their trio of offensive studs from last year, I think Govs will be too physical for the trojans in this early season matchup.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

rrforlifebaby wrote:lol. when was the last time St Louis was a pushover on O???? hmmmmmm......

I'll admit, trojans have more substance than i gave them credit for in the off season. but without their trio of offensive studs from last year, I think Govs will be too physical for the trojans in this early season matchup.
@rrforlifebaby: No, honestly. We all know about the 12- or 13-year string of consecutive football state titles (including Prep Bowls) that St Louis took, from '84 to '99 or so. The only reason I guessed '82 is that that was the year St Louis finished last in the ILH. (That's right; last.)

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Kahuku ground down a pretty physical Waianae team 28-0. Red Raiders just aren't giving opponents a chance no matter what.They can definitely introduce themselves to Bishop Gorman in a few weeks.

I am liking Radford's new football field and track.Grass field...yahhhh! The Ram JV won the first game played on the new field...proper initiation.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:Kahuku ground down a pretty physical Waianae team 28-0. Red Raiders just aren't giving opponents a chance no matter what.They can definitely introduce themselves to Bishop Gorman in a few weeks.

I am liking Radford's new football field and track.Grass field...yahhhh! The Ram JV won the first game played on the new field...proper initiation.
@unpaid: The only thing Kahuku has missing is a passing game. If they can get that, then I'd be a lot more certain that they'll repeat as D1 state champs. As it is now, without a passing game, how would Kahuku do against a team like St Louis? What if Kahuku and St Louis were to meet again in the D1 state title game? Try to run the ball on St Louis, and you'll have to deal with their LBs, which are perhaps the best in the state. Yes, I know Kahuku has an outstanding O-line. What a match-up: Kahuku's O-line against St Louis' LBs. Kahuku's O-linemen would have to get past St Louis' defensive down-linemen in order to clean-out the LBs.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
unpaid wrote:Kahuku ground down a pretty physical Waianae team 28-0. Red Raiders just aren't giving opponents a chance no matter what.They can definitely introduce themselves to Bishop Gorman in a few weeks.

@unpaid: The only thing Kahuku has missing is a passing game. If they can get that, then I'd be a lot more certain that they'll repeat as D1 state champs. As it is now, without a passing game, how would Kahuku do against a team like St Louis? What if Kahuku and St Louis were to meet again in the D1 state title game? Try to run the ball on St Louis, and you'll have to deal with their LBs, which are perhaps the best in the state. Yes, I know Kahuku has an outstanding O-line. What a match-up: Kahuku's O-line against St Louis' LBs. Kahuku's O-linemen would have to get past St Louis' defensive down-linemen in order to clean-out the LBs.
I think Kahuku's passing game has been adequate so far. They just didn't need it last night. The only way Kahuku can lose if is its passing game is as bad and inconsistent as it was in 2004 and 2008. The lack of a passing game cost them both of those years (and helped us win a title in one of them :D :D :D
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Iolani beat La Jolla today. That ought to give them some confidence against St. Louis next week, although St. Louis likely will treat the Iolani game as a tuneup. Remember, they play us the week after facing Iolani. Only if Iolani is threatening in the third will St. Louis use its main contributors.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:

I think Kahuku's passing game has been adequate so far. They just didn't need it last night. The only way Kahuku can lose if is its passing game is as bad and inconsistent as it was in 2004 and 2008. The lack of a passing game cost them both of those years (and helped us win a title in one of them :D :D :D
@gopunahou: Well, there's a chance that it might be Punahou that Kahuku faces for the D1 state title. Punahou looks like a pass-oriented team, just like St Louis. Kahuku seems to have a pretty good secondary, so it might be tough for either St Louis or Punahou to pass on them. Now, I don't think Punahou's LBs are quite as good as St Louis'. So, seeing as Kahuku is a run-oriented team with a pretty good O-line, the question is: How good is Punahou's D-line?
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:Iolani beat La Jolla today. That ought to give them some confidence against St. Louis next week, although St. Louis likely will treat the Iolani game as a tuneup. Remember, they play us the week after facing Iolani. Only if Iolani is threatening in the third will St. Louis use its main contributors.
@gopunahou:
The question arises: How good is La Jolla? Indeed, St Louis is the prohibitive favorite against Iolani. You would think St Louis by at least two TDs. What makes things a little interesting is that Iolani is a ranked team, at #9. But, that might just give St Louis more incentive.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

gopunahou wrote:Iolani beat La Jolla today. That ought to give them some confidence against St. Louis next week, although St. Louis likely will treat the Iolani game as a tuneup. Remember, they play us the week after facing Iolani. Only if Iolani is threatening in the third will St. Louis use its main contributors.
@gopunahou:
The question arises: How good is La Jolla? Indeed, St Louis is the prohibitive favorite against Iolani. You would think St Louis by at least two TDs. What makes things a little interesting is that Iolani is a ranked team, at #9. But, that might just give St Louis more incentive.
i doubt that Iolani's ranking will matter against them. Yes, St. Louis would love to win but count on them to take this game less seriously than the Punahou and Kamehameha games. This'll be almost like a bye week for them. Didn't Iolani come in ranked last year when they played St. Louis the first time? That game, Tua didn't play.

bigD
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by bigD »

I'm surprised you missed this but the fullbacks are the real reason they've been successful with the run game. Not only can they run the ball but they can also blow holes in opposing defenses. Waianae to me had the best front 7 in the state although St. Louis might have a slight edge in Lbs.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Four,

1.Kahuku 3-0 Big Red over Waianae.
2.St.Louis 1-0 DNP. ILH teams start playing again with the beginning of league play. Iolani next.
3.Punahou 1-0 DNP. No.6 Kamehameha next at Aloha Stadium.
4.Waianae 3-1 Seariders drop one spot with the loss to Kahuku.
5.Kapolei 3-1
6.Kamehameha 1-1 DNP. No.3 Punahou next.
7.Mililani 3-0 Young Trojans growing up fast,overcoming mistakes to beat Farrington.
8.Farrington 2-1 Tumble down three spots after loss to Mililani.
9.Kailua 1-1 DNP.
10 Hilo 1-1 Costly win over D-II contender Konawaena.

I don't think Kahuku is lacking a passing game. Could it be better?..Yes. Still,between Maiava and Renaud,the Red Raiders have thrown for over 300 passing yards,3 TD's,with no interceptions. Kahuku has played three games so a 100 or so per game air attack isn't bad when you add that to their very good ground game.

Over the last two seasons ,Kahuku has shown they can handle any other teams line well enough to win,but it is not always easy.Good fast linebackers are always a problem in pass or run protection. However,Kahuku presents a flip side to linebackers when they move to the jumbo set. Usually,when a say 6-1,220 LB with some speed gets into Kahuku's backfield,that guy isn't having to get past a typical 5-8 170-180 pound blocker to bring down the ball carrier. That linebacker is now having to get past two 250-270 pound blockers to get to the running back.Thats after getting through a couple 300 pound linemen. That's way more work than a linebacker usually has to do and it's usually too many guys to get through for the linebacker to make a play.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

Leilehua should make Piceno the full-time QB. Move Andres to another position and use him at QB only during Hail-Mary type plays.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:
@gopunahou:
i doubt that Iolani's ranking will matter against them. Yes, St. Louis would love to win but count on them to take this game less seriously than the Punahou and Kamehameha games. This'll be almost like a bye week for them. Didn't Iolani come in ranked last year when they played St. Louis the first time? That game, Tua didn't play.
@gopunahou: Well, of course St Louis is more concerned about Punahou and Kamehameha than about Iolani; Punahou and Kamehameha are stronger. As for Iolani being ranked last year, well, that was last year. In the upcoming game, St Louis will almost certainly rock Iolani.