Unpaid D-I Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Unpaid D-I Football

Post by unpaid »

I have kept the preseason rank I had from the Way too soon top tens thread. Games begin next week.

1.Kahuku Most years there are three to four teams I think can win it all. Not this year. Kahuku is my odds-on favorite this year.
2. St.Louis They have Mililani next ,but I think the Trojans are a shadow of their past few years.
3.Waianae vs No.7 Kamehameha. If the Seariders are as good as I think they are,then they will win this tough interleague game that is the type of game they haven't won recently.
4.Punahou. It has been pointed out that Punahou seems to have a stronger overall team than St.Louis has. I thought that was the case last year,but the Crusaders beat the Puns two out of three times. In 2016,to me ,Punahou would again seem to have the edge,but based on last year's results..I will wait to see what happens when these two play each other.
5.Kapolei JJ isn'T the only coach who was at UH apparently.mix that with Kapolei talent and I expect good things this year.
6.Farrington. It will be so cool to see these kids have true home games now.
7.Kamehameha. New coach again,but I think this one will stick around longer. No.3 Waianae next.
8.Kailua
9.Hilo
10.Moanalua Menehune open against D-II No.2 Damien. Gotta win this one.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Unpaid D-I Football

Post by gopunahou »

I respect your rankings but disagree that Waianae is a better team than Punahou. I also don't think Mililani will that far (likely won't make states but should be one of the top six teams in the OIA). Kapolei is always a mystery. Will JJ's presence change their underacheiving ways? Kahuku is facing impossible expectations--I think anything less than a state championship for that fanbase will be a bust.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Gopunahou,

As I am quick to remind people,my preseason rank is subjective.Once games are played I go on wins or losses.I ,and any other person who has ever done a yearly ranking, don't always wind up with the same rank at the end of the season as they had at the beginning of the season. For instance,I believe Kahuku is on a level by themselves in Hawaii and have them at No.1 preseason. Now,we all know that the Red Raiders play Mythical No.1 national hs champ Bishop Gorman. Kahuku might lose...if they do ,I will drop them if the D-I team at No.2 that week wins. There might be a period where Kahuku isn't No.1 this year but ,I think that they will be there on top at the end of the year. But with Bishop Gorman on the schedule,I don'T think Kahuku will be a wire-to-wire No.1 this year.

I decided last year to take a closer look at post-season football honors,and then take note of the number of returning honorees for each team to do my preseason rankings.It happens that Waianae fared a little better than Punahou did..hence,Waianae 3,Punahou 4. Maybe I should go back to the way I did it before this year,but I felt a change in my team evaluations was needed. If it doesn't work out,maybe I will go back to the previous method.

Also,I like to remind people in your situation....You think you are better than Waianae even though they are just one spot ahead of your Punahou team. If I have Waianae and Punahou that close, then I think there is not too much difference between 3and 4.You could definitely beat them if you play them as I see it. To me,the real crazy ranking would have been Waianae at 3 and Punahou at 10.

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

Why on earth would you drop Kahuku if they lost to Gorman? Any Hawaii school that goes up and plays them in Vegas is at least a 30 point underdog.

Punahou will be much better than Waianae. Won't even be close. I have Punahou as a slim favorite over Saint Louis in the ILH if Slade Matautia is still a Crusader and a sizable one if he isn't (he hasn't been at the last three practices I've watched -from mid-June). Saint Louis might have the worst offense in the ILH and they'll need to have the best defense by a fair margin to take the league title. That won't be the case if they don't have Slade-Matautia.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Why would I drop Kahuku if they lost to Bishop Gorman? I would drop them because they lost.There is no dishonor in that...I expect Kahuku would plan to win the next meeting.It is the same reason,I would have Kahuku at No.1 if they beat Bishop Gorman...the Red Raiders would plan to win the next game against the Gaels.

In the eternal scheme of things ,wins are better than losses...so why reward a team ,even a number one team, with no loss in status when they lose to an opponent. To not drop Kahuku if they lose really cheapens what a win means,if you are going to keep them at No.1 in spite of the loss. You might as well just rank them No.1 all season long no matter what their record is this year.

Just my feelings about rankings...I congratulate Kahuku on having the guts to go for it..win or lose...I think the Red Raiders will be in the D-I championship game again this year.

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

unpaid wrote:Why would I drop Kahuku if they lost to Bishop Gorman? I would drop them because they lost.There is no dishonor in that...I expect Kahuku would plan to win the next meeting.It is the same reason,I would have Kahuku at No.1 if they beat Bishop Gorman...the Red Raiders would plan to win the next game against the Gaels.

In the eternal scheme of things ,wins are better than losses...so why reward a team ,even a number one team, with no loss in status when they lose to an opponent. To not drop Kahuku if they lose really cheapens what a win means,if you are going to keep them at No.1 in spite of the loss. You might as well just rank them No.1 all season long no matter what their record is this year.

Just my feelings about rankings...I congratulate Kahuku on having the guts to go for it..win or lose...I think the Red Raiders will be in the D-I championship game again this year.
Your methodology sucks. It's a standings, not a ranking. After the start, it isn't subjective. Which sucks.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

People need to update on the scrimmage around the State this weekend.

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

Thats the only thing wrong with ranking based on win/lost, you end up with an undefeated 2005 UH warrior team playing in a BCS bowl in which they clearly did not belong. Strength of schedule needs to be a factor.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Aahhhh...getting salty already eh? Looking forward to more spirited give and take again.

To reiterate what Markeke said...drop some observations on us about any scrimmages any of watch this weekend.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

I watched the st.louis v. Kailua scrimmage. st.louis defense looked really good, but that's against a Kailua offense that lost a ton of seniors. hard to tell, but Kailua 1st o vs. st.louis 1st D, Kailua couldn't move the ball at all. st.louis offense v. Kailua D was a pretty good battle. Kailua has a solid defensive front, st.louis o line is the weak point but their skills make up for it, especially Tua. he'll be running around a lot this season. not sure how the other scrimmages went, punahou v. Kapolei and kam v. farrington.

FCTT
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by FCTT »

First post on these forums! Excited for football to be back. Without knowing too much besides hearsay and offseason chatter I'll just share my top 5 for the sake of discussion.

1.Kahuku
2.Punahou
3.Waianae
4.St.Louis
5.Kapolei

Kinda seems like a down year for the ILH. Kahuku looks to be solid again and Waianae, Kapolei seem pretty solid. Farrington should probably be 5a.

Can't wait for updates from Kahuku scrimmages

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

This years Big Red D looks to have another monster season. After watching them scrimmage mililani, excited to see them go full tilt in a real game.

Gabriel from mililani looks like he got bigger. Mililani O not gona be the same, but should do well with him at qb.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Impressions from scrimmages reports,

Kamehameha and Farrington both seem to have inconsistent offenses early.

Want to beat St.Louis?...get to them with a good defense before their new O-line jells...first three weeks ..after that ,good luck.

Kapolei being able to trade scores with Punahou ,to me,seems to confirm that June Jones will get the most out of the offense for the Hurricanes of Coach Hernandez.

Looking over squad numbers for some of the teams gets alarming. Aiea,Kaiser,and Radford are a few of the D-I teams who are suiting up only 30 players. That doesn't bode well for the season.

FCTT
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by FCTT »

Watched some of the Kahuku scrimmage.

Kahuku's defense looked okay. LB core strong against the run, but needs some speed. D line should be okay, need more pressure on the QB (which I'm sure will come when Tata used his exotic schemes) Secondary probably best in the state.

Offensively saw a handful of starters not suited up. Looks like the freshman will be the starter at QB this year. Didn't get to see him throw much. Backfield is really good. Vakapuna, Brown hit the hole hard, fullbacks tough and can move to tail back if needs be. O LINE still strong without a couple starters.

Mililani looked better than I expected. Qb was smooth, got out on a couple scrambles. O line looks good, although they got away with some pretty blatant holds since no refs lol. Tovi gonna beast on the outside as receiver. Their defense is gonna have a hard time stopping the run. Secondary looks pretty rangy. Was hoping Kahuku would pass more just to work on stuff and give their secondary a chance to work on coverages.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Heard about the Kahuku/Farrington/Punahou scrimmage. I'm proud of the Puns for giving Kahuku all they could handle (and playing great against Farrington). But as good as Kahuku looks now, they'll look even better as the season goes on. That's been the case with almost every one of their title runs.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!