Unpaid D-I Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Unpaid D-I Football

Post by unpaid »

Final rank 2016,

1.St. Louis 10-1 Tagovailoa goes out in style breaking Timmy Changs passing mark .Crusader D stopped the jumbo set.Kudos to the Crusaders.
2.Kahuku 11-2 Win streak ends at 24 against Hawaii teams.
3.Kapolei 10-2
4.Punahou 7-3
5.Waianae 9-4
6.Mililani 7-3 D-I champs beat Iolani in the title game. Trojans seem to be stocked for another 2-3 year run going forward.
7.Campbell 7-4
8.Farrington 7-4
9.Leilehua 5-7
10.Iolani 5-8

Long time til spring practice.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote:I don't know what hurts more for Kahuku fans. This or Trump winning. I know this sucks for Reggie Torres, who is probably saying "kefe life's unfairness." For me, this sucks as much as Iolani winning a title in football.
@gopunahou: Well, you have to assume that some Kahuku fans voted for Trump. I can't have much sympathy for Torres; isn't he an assistant coach for your alma mater? I mean, for him to become an assistant coach of the football arch-rival of his alma mater? Well, anyway, I see that you don't like St Louis, and I can't say I blame you. They deprived your alma mater of the ILH D1 title. I, too, was pulling for Kahuku. And, aren't you glad that Iolani didn't win a football title? I would have hated to see that, too. We both have Mililani to thank.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

This year has been a revelation in hs football. The Open Division experiment has proven something to me. There is parity at the top of the ILH and the OIA. No can say OIA or ILH rules anymore. There are too many good coaches wanting to give back,and they can't all get into the ILH anymore ....have to go OIA now... Eventually that means the Neighbor Island teams get the young hotshots too....Gonna be very interesting in years to come.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
gopunahou wrote:I don't know what hurts more for Kahuku fans. This or Trump winning. I know this sucks for Reggie Torres, who is probably saying "kefe life's unfairness." For me, this sucks as much as Iolani winning a title in football.
@gopunahou: Well, you have to assume that some Kahuku fans voted for Trump. I can't have much sympathy for Torres; isn't he an assistant coach for your alma mater? I mean, for him to become an assistant coach of the football arch-rival of his alma mater? Well, anyway, I see that you don't like St Louis, and I can't say I blame you. They deprived your alma mater of the ILH D1 title. I, too, was pulling for Kahuku. And, aren't you glad that Iolani didn't win a football title? I would have hated to see that, too. We both have Mililani to thank.
I haven't got much against Mililani and still won't judge Coach York (hoping that he ain't an Iolani grad that gives the school a bad name). It's just fitting that Iolani gets to experience what we experienced two years ago. I hated to see St. Louis accomplish something we couldn't and thought the game was in the bag for Kahuku. They didn't execute the kind of plays they did against us (when we stacked the box with 9 or 10 the years we played them for the title). They couldn't throw the ball to save their lives and were inconsistent as hell on offense. And for the first time against Hawaii teams in a long time, the breaks didn't go their way. As a Kahuku fan, that sucks. I think some Kahuku fans did for Trump, but don't expect that number to be high considering we always side with Democrats here. And yes, we know the way they feel considering they deprived us of a title of sorts. I ain't overjoicing that Iolani lost but am glad that people who give them a bad name (cough INFIDEL cough) are crying. I'd love to taste his tears and watch more bad things happen to him. Somebody said he made OJ Simpson, Charles Manson, and Saddam Hussein look like angels. I don't disagree.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:This year has been a revelation in hs football. The Open Division experiment has proven something to me. There is parity at the top of the ILH and the OIA. No can say OIA or ILH rules anymore. There are too many good coaches wanting to give back,and they can't all get into the ILH anymore ....have to go OIA now... Eventually that means the Neighbor Island teams get the young hotshots too....Gonna be very interesting in years to come.
@unpaid: Well, you never know when or where an HC position opens-up, even in the ILH. Look at Kamehameha HC Maafala; he graduated Kamehameha when, 2002? He's pretty young, and he got the job just this year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
I haven't got much against Mililani and still won't judge Coach York (hoping that he ain't an Iolani grad that gives the school a bad name). It's just fitting that Iolani gets to experience what we experienced two years ago. I hated to see St. Louis accomplish something we couldn't and thought the game was in the bag for Kahuku. They didn't execute the kind of plays they did against us (when we stacked the box with 9 or 10 the years we played them for the title). They couldn't throw the ball to save their lives and were inconsistent as hell on offense. And for the first time against Hawaii teams in a long time, the breaks didn't go their way. As a Kahuku fan, that sucks. I think some Kahuku fans did for Trump, but don't expect that number to be high considering we always side with Democrats here. And yes, we know the way they feel considering they deprived us of a title of sorts. I ain't overjoicing that Iolani lost but am glad that people who give them a bad name (cough INFIDEL cough) are crying. I'd love to taste his tears and watch more bad things happen to him. Somebody said he made OJ Simpson, Charles Manson, and Saddam Hussein look like angels. I don't disagree.
@gopunahou: Well, I too was pulling for Kahuku. I still don't know how they lost. Yeah, their lack of a passing game was definitely a factor. But with the O-line and RBs they had, they still should have won, I think. Of course, that fumble in the end zone didn't help. As for Trump, keep in mind that many Kahuku alumni are Mormons, and most Mormons vote for Republicans. I'm not saying that's bad; I'm just saying that it is what it is. I'm not trying to say anything bad about Mormons; I have friends and in-laws who are Mormons. And, look at the fact that I wanted Kahuku to win. As for Iolani, I am relieved that they lost. If they had won, for me it would have been worse than the fact that St Louis won. I would rather have St Louis than Iolani. (And I would rather have Kahuku than St Louis.)

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Best wishes to Cal Lee. I know he has a health issue,but kidney stones can be prevented in some very simple ways in some cases. I just wonder if he is ready to move on from football.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:Best wishes to Cal Lee. I know he has a health issue,but kidney stones can be prevented in some very simple ways in some cases. I just wonder if he is ready to move on from football.
@unpaid: Did you see the column by Dave Reardon in today's sports page? He was discussing just that. Both Cal and older brother Ron might hang it up, but even they themselves haven't decided yet. Cal is 70, and Ron is 72. If they retire from coaching St Louis, St Louis will have a hard time replacing them. Well, St Louis isn't Cal's alma mater; Cal is a Kalani alumnus. I don't know where Ron attended. Same?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Don't know for sure about hs alma mater...I think both grad Kalani.I wonder who is on the Crusader shortlist if both Lee brothers retire? You have to figure that with his success at Kahuku, Coach Tata would get the first phone call. If the Lee brothers retire, this will be an interesting offseason for the Crusaders and the Red Raiders.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:Don't know for sure about hs alma mater...I think both grad Kalani.I wonder who is on the Crusader shortlist if both Lee brothers retire? You have to figure that with his success at Kahuku, Coach Tata would get the first phone call. If the Lee brothers retire, this will be an interesting offseason for the Crusaders and the Red Raiders.
@unpaid: Are we sure there's no bad blood between the school and Tata? Tata is a St Louis alumnus, but would Cal put-in a good word for him? Hey: What if they offered the HC position to June Jones? Might he take it? Better an HC than merely an OC, right? I'm sure Jones would rather be an HC than an OC. Also, you would think any high school would want Jones as HC. The guy has a gold-plated resume.

_sportcourt
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by _sportcourt »

Tata would be horrible for The Lou, his offensive scheme is pathetic....sole run right, sole run left aint happening for the brotherhood. HELL NO! O Line recruits will say, we can drive and reach block LOL. JJ would be prime for that position, he lives in town and would jump at it, the man dont need money just wants to keep coaching.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

_sportcourt wrote:Tata would be horrible for The Lou, his offensive scheme is pathetic....sole run right, sole run left aint happening for the brotherhood. HELL NO! O Line recruits will say, we can drive and reach block LOL. JJ would be prime for that position, he lives in town and would jump at it, the man dont need money just wants to keep coaching.
@_sportcourt: Wow, I thought Tata was a better coach than that. I guess Kahuku players are so good that they make any coach look good as HC. Well, if Tata is as bad as you say, I guess it showed in the state Open title game. I still can't see how Kahuku lost. They were ahead at the half, and--given the quality of players they have--I think they really should have pulled it out. I was pulling for Kahuku, and I'm still deflated by the outcome; it's a bitter pill to swallow. Regarding Jones, yeah, I heard he's got $, so that's not what he's in it for. That's pretty obvious, given the fact that he accepted the position of an assistant coach at a high school. Well, if the Lees do leave, let's see if St Louis offers the HC position to Jones. I mean, even if he didn't live in town, he would probably still take it. After all, he's been travelling from town to Kapolei to be OC at Kapolei High. Frankly, if we're talking high-school ball--and we are--I think Jones is too good to be a mere assistant coach. If he's going to coach high school, he should be a head coach. Otherwise his talent, skill, and experience are being grossly underutilized.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Mater Dei just missed a chance to win a California state title. IF ONLY Tua went there (which almost happened). He's burned my team and my fiance's (Mater Dei).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!