Unpaid D-I Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Unpaid D-I Football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

soleu wrote:Good luck to the DII and 7th place game participants.

How you could be dead last and winless in your division or winless in the playoffs and still get a shot to be labelled D1 champs is just @** backward. It's nice that they get to keep playing and we get to watch more football. But don't blend the consolation winner in with the real champs.

Tomorrow the last 5 D1 champs should read

2012 Kahuku (OIA)
2013 Punahou (ILH)
2014 Mililani (OIA)
2015 Kahuku (OIA)
2016 7th place team
@soleu: When you read this, you might think, "What the hell is HS Football Fanatic doing, saying something in defense of Iolani?" Well, you have to consider the fact that the only other teams in Iolani's division are St Louis, Punahou, and Kamehameha. All three of those teams are ranked, and all three are ranked above Iolani. So, if Mililani were in Iolani's place, they too might be dead last and winless in their division, though they might possibly have beaten Kamehameha once. Having said all of that, for those of you on this thread who would prefer to see Iolani lose to Mililani tonight, don't worry: I haven't gone soft on you. I do still want Iolani to lose, too.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Yah,I'm late but the game hasn't started yet. Picking Mililani to beat Iolani.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:Yah,I'm late but the game hasn't started yet. Picking Mililani to beat Iolani.
@unpaid: Sure hope you're right. Game will be starting any minute now.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Opihiman wrote:
soleu wrote:Good luck to the DII and 7th place game participants.

How you could be dead last and winless in your division or winless in the playoffs and still get a shot to be labelled D1 champs is just @** backward. It's nice that they get to keep playing and we get to watch more football. But don't blend the consolation winner in with the real champs.

Tomorrow the last 5 D1 champs should read

2012 Kahuku (OIA)
2013 Punahou (ILH)
2014 Mililani (OIA)
2015 Kahuku (OIA)
2016 7th place team

I agree ... It is all good and nice to have more divisions ... and spread the love ... everyone deserves to be a champion. Iolani got a free ride and is making the most of it. However, they went winless in the ILH and loss twice to Kamehameha. It is unfair to Kamehameha in my opinion ... no matter how well Iolani does Kamehameha should be ranked above them because they beat Iolani twice head to head. Kamehameha is being penalized for not being invited to the dance and wasn't given the chance to prove themselves in the rankings. I think the OPEN DIVISION should be renamed DIVISION I.

Mililani vs Iolani winner in my mind is the true Division II Champion. In my mind they added a Division III for this year. While we are at it, why not do away with the JV teams altogether and let schools bigger schools enter multiple divisions. More teams, more competitions, more games, more opportunities, more State Championship winners, and more recognition. Why? My guess is that some of these JV teams are better than the DII teams and yet the winner will call themselves State Chumps!
@Opihiman: Don't know if I'm correct, but my understanding is that Kamehameha elected to go for the Open division. I guess they felt compelled to do that. If they had elected to go for the D1 tourney, it would have been an outright admission of inferiority to St Louis and Punahou. If Mililani beats Iolani--and I certainly hope they do--Iolani should remain ranked below Kamehameha. However, if Iolani wins, there's a quandary: I think that in most polls, Mililani is ranked ahead of Kamehameha. So, if Iolani beats Mililani, pollsters might take that as justification for ranking Iolani ahead of Kamehameha, even though Kamehameha beat Iolani both times during the regular season.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

sideliner wrote:I get so irritated when I read about how Iolani got a free ride to the DI title and how it SHOULD be Kamehameha playing tonight. Uuuummmmmm...the head coach of Kamehameha CHOSE his fate. He chose to play in the Open division knowing full well that his team could never beat the likes of St. Louis...Punahou....Kahuku...Kapolei...etc.

He was ADVISED to declare Division 1 instead of Open but his big head got in the way. Sure you want to play against the best, but seriously, when is the last time Kamehameha could contend with the big boys? They are only a step above Iolani nowadays. And no...I did not go to Iolani. I went to public school actually! But everyone here needs to know that Kamehameha COULD have and SHOULD have been playing tonight but that the coach made the decision to go for Open. It's not like Look called Maafala and said hey, "Can you just go up so I can stay down?"

So again, I am not necessarily cheering for Iolani, but I am upset that people aren't pointing the finger at the correct person. Coach Look did what was right for his team. did Coach Maafala?
@sideliner: Well, Maafala is a Kamehameha alumnus, and I suspect he felt that to declare for the D1 tourney would be a little too humiliating for his alma mater. When you look at such factors as enrollment, for example, it's hard to say Kamehameha shouldn't be competing for the same tourney as St Louis and Punahou. So, I kind of understand Maafala's decision.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Mililani looks like they're about to bust this one wide open.

Aitorahi
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
MLB: Washington Nationals
NBA: OKC Thunder
NFL: SF Niners

Post by Aitorahi »

unpaid wrote:Mililani looks like they're about to bust this one wide open.
Mililani too physical. Iolani no can hang. Jalen Olomua is going beast mode. He was my favorite player on Kahuku JV 2 years ago. Pulling for the Trojans. Win big!!

finlandia
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by finlandia »

Mizutani never really got going because of the pressure. Mililani shut down the run and eventually just outmuscled Iolani. Like the ILH season, Iolani hung in there for a long time, but eventually couldn't stay with the other team.

Mililani earned it, though Iolani made them earn it.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Interesting crowd tonight. Maybe a good chunk of them was at the SSC, but still pretty small for a "title game."

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

finlandia wrote:Mizutani never really got going because of the pressure. Mililani shut down the run and eventually just outmuscled Iolani. Like the ILH season, Iolani hung in there for a long time, but eventually couldn't stay with the other team.

Thanks for being civil and humble. I appreciated Iolani's effort but saw that Mililani was the better team. Now Iolani knows how it feels to lose to them in a title game. I hope Iolani continues to play the Big Three, knowing that it benefited them and knowing that a lot of key players return next year. They might have a chance to win a game against the Big Three (though hopefully not against us). Mililani should be a contender to play in the Open Playoffs next year. And as for Infidel (courtesy of HaterOfElitists)--LET ME TASTE YOUR TEARS!
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I am thinking that attendance at Kahuku - St. Louis tonight ,plus attendance from D-I and D-II games Last night will be pretty decent. I think crowd numbers are always driven by the matchup offered in the highest division,and this year's Open Division matchup is pretty good.

There were three divisions this year,and the games weren't played on the same night as in year's past,so putting the D-II and D-I title games on a different night just gives the illusion that fans aren't as interested.Also, the D-II crowd was having to go off-island to get to the finals. D-II crowd numbers may have been bigger if that game had been played on Kauai or Maui. That's something that could be considered the next time a championship final is played between two Neighbor Island teams. If the Open Division comes back next year,maybe the HHSAA can find a way to make it a tripleheader on championship day in 2017.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

DI bracket was meant to make things more competitive and it did. But now that we're at the end of it and have a champion crowned, it just feels weird. Maybe it's because it was Mililani who won it and not like a Campbell or Farrington or someone who hasn't won recently. It just feels like a consolation prize.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:
finlandia wrote:Mizutani never really got going because of the pressure. Mililani shut down the run and eventually just outmuscled Iolani. Like the ILH season, Iolani hung in there for a long time, but eventually couldn't stay with the other team.

Thanks for being civil and humble. I appreciated Iolani's effort but saw that Mililani was the better team. Now Iolani knows how it feels to lose to them in a title game. I hope Iolani continues to play the Big Three, knowing that it benefited them and knowing that a lot of key players return next year. They might have a chance to win a game against the Big Three (though hopefully not against us). Mililani should be a contender to play in the Open Playoffs next year. And as for Infidel (courtesy of HaterOfElitists)--LET ME TASTE YOUR TEARS!
@gopunahou: Well, it's not losing to Mililani in a title game; it's losing to any school in a title game. Unless, you dislike Mililani? Well, I guess you might still resent them for beating Punahou for the D1 state title two years ago. I'll tell you what: I don't exactly love Mililani, but I'd rather have them than Iolani. You say Iolani will return a lot of key players next year. Unless those returnees include their D-line, Iolani might be in trouble in ILH D1. Their D-line is what kept them in games in the state tourney.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote:DI bracket was meant to make things more competitive and it did. But now that we're at the end of it and have a champion crowned, it just feels weird. Maybe it's because it was Mililani who won it and not like a Campbell or Farrington or someone who hasn't won recently. It just feels like a consolation prize.
@Neighbor: Well, I don't know. Mililani's D had a monster night. They held Iolani to negative rushing yardage, and that's despite the fact that Iolani had a good RB in Pascua. Also, Mililani's D sacked Iolani QB Mizutani seven times. I don't know; I think Mililani should be considered more than just a "consolation champ."

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I don't know what hurts more for Kahuku fans. This or Trump winning. I know this sucks for Reggie Torres, who is probably saying "kefe life's unfairness." For me, this sucks as much as Iolani winning a title in football.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!