Unpaid D-I Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Unpaid D-I Football

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
gopunahou wrote:Something tells me that our game against Kamehameha will be as ugly as the St. Louis-Iolani game, especially if we take a two-possession lead early.
@gopunahou: I don't think you have to worry about Punahou having an ugly game against Kamehameha. Right now, the only thing that's ugly is Kamehameha's run game. It's been ugly the past three games in a row. And, in the last game (against St Louis), Kamehameha's pass game decided to look ugly, too. Kamehameha QB Yam was picked-off twice in the end zone. When you're in the playoffs, a win is a win. The only question for Punahou is: How much will we win by?
You misinterpreted my comment. I meant ugly as in a huge victory for us.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote:
gopunahou wrote:Something tells me that our game against Kamehameha will be as ugly as the St. Louis-Iolani game, especially if we take a two-possession lead early.
@gopunahou: I don't think you have to worry about Punahou having an ugly game against Kamehameha. Right now, the only thing that's ugly is Kamehameha's run game. It's been ugly the past three games in a row. And, in the last game (against St Louis), Kamehameha's pass game decided to look ugly, too. Kamehameha QB Yam was picked-off twice in the end zone. When you're in the playoffs, a win is a win. The only question for Punahou is: How much will we win by?
@gopunahou: Oh, I see. Then yes, I strongly suspect Punahou will have a very ugly game against Kamehameha. Kamehameha's D deserves better than that, but the way Kamehameha's run game has been, well, no one said life is fair.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Does anyone think that the score of the KSK-STL game (closer than most expected it to be) had more to do with STL's struggles than KSK's execution?

And if everything goes as expected, Iolani and Kamehameha will have lost to the same team three times in one year. I know KSK did once (in 2005, the year we snapped St. Louis's 19-year streak of ILH titles), but has anybody ever beaten Iolani 3 times in one year?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliners this week,

No.5 Waianae at No.9 Mililani.I think Waianae should win this one. The Searider D is the winning edge here.It may be a high scoring game, but I believe Waianae can stop Mililani's offense a little more often.

No.7 Farrington at No.8 Campbell. I am calling this an upset special. Farrington is trending down due to recent losses while Campbell is trending up due to a recent win streak. I also think Campbell has the better defense to stop a somewhat inconsistent Farrington offense.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:Does anyone think that the score of the KSK-STL game (closer than most expected it to be) had more to do with STL's struggles than KSK's execution?

And if everything goes as expected, Iolani and Kamehameha will have lost to the same team three times in one year. I know KSK did once (in 2005, the year we snapped St. Louis's 19-year streak of ILH titles), but has anybody ever beaten Iolani 3 times in one year?
@gopunahou:
1. St Louis' O struggled because of Kamehameha's outstanding D. At the same time, Kamehameha's O was twice as bad as usual. For the past three games, Kamehameha's run game has been a disgrace, while the pass game has been decent. The last game, the pass game was also below par.
2. Why would anyone have beaten Iolani three times? As far as I know, ILH teams have (always?) played each other only twice.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:Headliners this week,

No.5 Waianae at No.9 Mililani.I think Waianae should win this one. The Searider D is the winning edge here.It may be a high scoring game, but I believe Waianae can stop Mililani's offense a little more often.

No.7 Farrington at No.8 Campbell. I am calling this an upset special. Farrington is trending down due to recent losses while Campbell is trending up due to a recent win streak. I also think Campbell has the better defense to stop a somewhat inconsistent Farrington offense.
@unpaid: As good as Waianae's D is--and it's very good--I think Waianae's excellent run game will be even more instrumental. But yes, I agree that Waianae will pull it out over Mililani.

I also agree that Campbell will pull-out the win over Farrington. Doesn't Farrington have quite a few injuries? Also, Campbell's D has been stellar of late. I would prefer that Farrington win, but I suspect Campbell will win. It's not so much that I dislike Campbell; it's just that I've always had a soft spot for Farrington. (No, I'm not a Farrington alumnus.)

HaterOfElitists
High-quality H20 provider

Post by HaterOfElitists »

gopunahou wrote:
@gopunahou: Oh, I see. Then yes, I strongly suspect Punahou will have a very ugly game against Kamehameha. Kamehameha's D deserves better than that, but the way Kamehameha's run game has been, well, no one said life is fair.
Whoever likes the existence of life's unfairness deserves to have traumatic, horrific things happen to them!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HaterOfElitists wrote:
gopunahou wrote: You misinterpreted my comment. I meant ugly as in a huge victory for us.
Whoever likes the existence of life's unfairness deserves to have traumatic, horrific things happen to them!
@HaterOfElitists: Actually, I don't like life's unfairness; who does? I don't like it that Kamehameha's D has had to play-on despite Kamehameha's weakening run game. I think we can all concede that life is--for the most part--unfair, and obviously this goes beyond high-school football. That doesn't mean any of us likes this unfairness. I don't, I can assure you. Having said that, as I type this Kamehameha has scored 18 points on Punahou, and it's 3rd qrtr right now. I think Kamehameha's O has done a pretty good job this game.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

A 33-point beating should make me feel good and as if nothing can bother me, but whose bright idea was it to have Logan Williams, one of the leaders of our defense, run with a 26 pt lead? Talk about tarnishing a win and a trip to states!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Farrington proved me wrong and punched their ticket to Open Division states. The Govs can beat Mililani if they continue to play defense like they did against Campbell.

As expected, Punahou and St. Louis battle for the ILH championship.The Crusaders shutout of Iolani shows they are tough defensively, but the apparent decline of the offense could spell another loss to the Puns. We will see.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:A 33-point beating should make me feel good and as if nothing can bother me, but whose bright idea was it to have Logan Williams, one of the leaders of our defense, run with a 26 pt lead? Talk about tarnishing a win and a trip to states!
@gopunahou: Always, a win is a win, and this win got Punahou to states. I think Punahou will beat St Louis for the ILH title. But in states, I'm looking for Kahuku to beat Punahou for the state Open Division title. Should be a close game, though.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:Farrington proved me wrong and punched their ticket to Open Division states. The Govs can beat Mililani if they continue to play defense like they did against Campbell.

As expected, Punahou and St. Louis battle for the ILH championship.The Crusaders shutout of Iolani shows they are tough defensively, but the apparent decline of the offense could spell another loss to the Puns. We will see.
@unpaid: Actually, I think it was Farrington's O that won the game. After all, Campbell was better-known for its D than its O.
Also, I do think Punahou will beat St Louis. What should be encouraging for St Louis, though, is that they had what, two pick-sixes against Iolani? You'd think that's a good sign and a great confidence-builder as St Louis takes-on pass-oriented Punahou. If I'm not mistaken, Kamehameha picked-off Punahou QB Kapule once. It would be great if St Louis' secondary can pick-off Kapule twice, and perhaps return one for a TD. But, in states, I'm looking for Kahuku to beat Punahou.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Eleven,

1.Kahuku 8-1 No.5 Waianae next @ Aloha
2.Punahou 7-1 No.3 St. Louis next @ Aloha
3.St. Louis 7-1 See Punahou
4.Kapolei 8-1 No.7 Farrington next @ Aloha
5.Waianae 8-2 See Kahuku
6.Hilo 7-1
7.Farrington 7-2 See Kapolei
8.Baldwin 7-2
9.Campbell 5-4 Drop with the loss to Farrington.
10.Mililani 5-3 Drop with the loss to Waianae.

One through five will change next week.

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

gopunahou wrote:A 33-point beating should make me feel good and as if nothing can bother me, but whose bright idea was it to have Logan Williams, one of the leaders of our defense, run with a 26 pt lead? Talk about tarnishing a win and a trip to states!
I saw that too. It looked like he hurt his knee pretty bad. Hopefully he can bounce back and the injury isn't as bad as it looked. Don't know why he was in with that sizeable lead that they had. And on Offense on top of that. Besides that, it looks like they'll be at full strength going into Fridays championship game against Stl. I think Stl may be a little banged up on defense, I know lb Isaiah taliulu is out with an acl, but I also noticed lb Dylan toilolo not in pads during the 4th qtr of the iolani game. not sure when he was injured or how serious. those 2 lbs were having big seasons too, it would be a huge loss if toilolo is out. I'm hoping to see a battle, but I'm pretty sure pun will win this match up again.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

I guess Moanalua is forfeiting their game against Campbell for OIA 5th Placeish, but more importantly for the DI seeding. It's understandable. I just figured that this extra "free game" could be a chance to let the reserves get a lot of playing time. After all, it is a rather meaningless game