Unpaid D-I Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Unpaid D-I Football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote:Week Eight,

1. St. Louis 5-0 No.3 Punahou next.
2. Kahuku 6-1
3. Punahou 4-1 See St.Louis.
4. Kapolei 6-1
5. Waianae 6-2
6. Hilo 4-1
7. Farrington 5-2
8. Campbell 4-3
9. Mililani 4-2
10.Baldwin 4-2 DNP

Kamehameha at 2-4 drops out of the top ten. 3-3 Kailua is looking to move back in.
@unpaid: Perhaps Kailua might be a better pick for #10, especially when you consider that they beat Mililani. Kamehameha's O played poorly Friday night against Punahou. You dropped Kamehameha from the Top Ten based on its record, but if their O made a better showing, I would have suggested they remain. But, with their O's lousy showing, it's hard to argue. What's interesting, though, is that Kamehameha pounded Baldwin in the preseason.

kauwildman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kauwildman »

Hilo at #6 is absurd. It would be hard to name an Oahu D1 team that they would beat.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

kauwildman wrote:Hilo at #6 is absurd. It would be hard to name an Oahu D1 team that they would beat.
His rankings are based on wins and losses, but I will partially agree with you after Hilo lost their Starting QB for the season during the Honokaa game and will start a freshman from here on out. Would they beat a DI team on Oahu? I would say yes, Nanakuli, Radford, Kaiser would come to mind...but that would be with the starting senior QB. Without him...probably not, but they did beat Kona (who was ranked at one point in the Star advertiser) with their freshman playing most of the second half. I haven't been to the past two Hilo games but my understanding is the offense depended on the QB to make plays with his feet. Will be interesting to see how they adjust the next two DI games.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

Getreal$ wrote:...Would they beat a DI team on Oahu? I would say yes, Nanakuli, Radford, Kaiser would come to mind...but that would be with the starting senior QB. Without him...probably not...
So Hilo would absolutely need their starting QB to beat the worst of the Oahu D1 teams, all of whom should realistically be in D2? Now we know HIlo shouldn't be ranked #6 on any poll for any reason.

I usually kinda, sorta agree with Unpaid that wins-losses and/or win % are at least as important as imaginary head-to-head match ups between two ranked teams and who would beat who if they ever played, but ranking Hilo at #6 above any ranked Oahu team is a serious stretch.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

As I have said over the years,it is easier to drop teams when they lose. When Hilo starts losing, I'll drop them then and only then.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

kauwildman wrote:Hilo at #6 is absurd. It would be hard to name an Oahu D1 team that they would beat.
@kauwildman: I absolutely must agree. For sure, Hilo would lose to the #7-#9 teams on unpaid's list.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote:
Getreal$ wrote:...Would they beat a DI team on Oahu? I would say yes, Nanakuli, Radford, Kaiser would come to mind...but that would be with the starting senior QB. Without him...probably not...
So Hilo would absolutely need their starting QB to beat the worst of the Oahu D1 teams, all of whom should realistically be in D2? Now we know HIlo shouldn't be ranked #6 on any poll for any reason.

I usually kinda, sorta agree with Unpaid that wins-losses and/or win % are at least as important as imaginary head-to-head match ups between two ranked teams and who would beat who if they ever played, but ranking Hilo at #6 above any ranked Oahu team is a serious stretch.
@bandits1: Agree. This issue has been discussed on this message-board for years. When someone goes strictly by won-loss record, that ignores the fact that different leagues have different strength levels. For example, I think we can agree that you can't really compare ILH D1 with BIIF D1. In fact, I suspect that even Baldwin (of Maui) would either beat Hilo or give them a very good rub. And then there's the matter of ranking St Louis ahead of Kahuku. I mean, Iolani ran on St Louis. Iolani's O-line and RBs are decidedly below (I don't want to say inferior; that's kind of rude) Kahuku's. Could you imagine Kahuku's run game against St Louis?

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

bandits1 wrote:

The question from kauwildman was to name ANY DI Oahu team that Hilo would beat, he didn't say any top 10 ranked team. Hilo is, or at least until this past weekend, was a solid overall team. Their defense is solid and they have playmakers on offense. You don't beat a good Konawaena team by luck. With that being said, they lost a very good Senior QB for the season and thats a huge blow for their post season hopes.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
bandits1 wrote:

@bandits1: Agree. This issue has been discussed on this message-board for years. When someone goes strictly by won-loss record, that ignores the fact that different leagues have different strength levels. For example, I think we can agree that you can't really compare ILH D1 with BIIF D1. In fact, I suspect that even Baldwin (of Maui) would either beat Hilo or give them a very good rub. And then there's the matter of ranking St Louis ahead of Kahuku. I mean, Iolani ran on St Louis. Iolani's O-line and RBs are decidedly below (I don't want to say inferior; that's kind of rude) Kahuku's. Could you imagine Kahuku's run game against St Louis?
Yeah, St. Louis played a lackluster game against Iolani, while Kahuku demolished a team of Iolani's caliber Saturday.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:
bandits1 wrote: So Hilo would absolutely need their starting QB to beat the worst of the Oahu D1 teams, all of whom should realistically be in D2? Now we know HIlo shouldn't be ranked #6 on any poll for any reason.

Yeah, St. Louis played a lackluster game against Iolani, while Kahuku demolished a team of Iolani's caliber Saturday.
@gopunahou:
1. OK, that's what it was. I've been trying to figure-out how Iolani got 120 yds and 3 TDs on the ground against St Louis.
2. Moanalua had lots of players out with injuries when it played Kahuku. You know what would be a good game? Iolani vs a healthy Moanalua. I agree that Iolani and a healthy Moanalua are about even.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliner this week,

No.1 St. Louis vs No.3 Punahou @ Aloha.

V2.0 for 2016.Punahou shows no sign of a real ground threat. St.Louis only has their passing and running QB as a ground threat.So,unless Punahou can take away the QB scramble from St. Louis, the Puns should not expect to win this contest either. However,it would seem to be easier to stop Tagovailoa from running, than it has been for either the Crusaders or the Puns to produce running backs who carry the ground load. I think Punahou will find away to subtract Tagovailoa as a running threat this week,at least. Picking Punahou for the upset tomorrow night.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:Headliner this week,

V2.0 for 2016.Punahou shows no sign of a real ground threat. St.Louis only has their passing and running QB as a ground threat.So,unless Punahou can take away the QB scramble from St. Louis, the Puns should not expect to win this contest either. However,it would seem to be easier to stop Tagovailoa from running, than it has been for either the Crusaders or the Puns to produce running backs who carry the ground load. I think Punahou will find away to subtract Tagovailoa as a running threat this week,at least. Picking Punahou for the upset tomorrow night.
@unpaid: I think St Louis has a legitimate ground-threat in RB Silofau. If Punahou can prevent Tagovailoa from scrambling, I think Silofau can pick-up the slack. Also, if Punahou takes-away St Louis' QB scramble, two can play that game. What's to stop St Louis from preventing Kapule from scrambling? I think it would be easier to stop Kapule from scrambling than to stop Tagovailoa from scrambling. In any case, I think people are overlooking Silofau. He's St Louis' best RB, and I think he's better than Punahou's best RB (Lafaele).

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:Headliner this week,

@unpaid: I think St Louis has a legitimate ground-threat in RB Silofau. If Punahou can prevent Tagovailoa from scrambling, I think Silofau can pick-up the slack. Also, if Punahou takes-away St Louis' QB scramble, two can play that game. What's to stop St Louis from preventing Kapule from scrambling? I think it would be easier to stop Kapule from scrambling than to stop Tagovailoa from scrambling. In any case, I think people are overlooking Silofau. He's St Louis' best RB, and I think he's better than Punahou's best RB, Kaufusi. Go Saints. Or, should I say, go Crusaders, now that St Francis has changed its nickname to Saints. And wasn't that pretty stupid? Just about everyone knows that for at least 30 years or more, St Louis has called itself the Saints, in addition to its official nickname. Why couldn't St Francis keep its old nickname, Troubadours? As far as I know, in real life, troubadours weren't only girls. Was it really necessary for them to change their nickname just because they started enrolling boys? And, why change it to Saints, when St Louis had been using that for years? Go figure. I would imagine St Louis alumni must be annoyed by St Francis' decision. It takes away St Louis' rallying cry, "Go Saints!"

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I haven't seen Silofau in awhile. Whether he plays tomorrow night remains to be seen. Anyway, I hope Kapule, Kaufusi, and Nawahine can rip through that defense as they are capable of.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:I haven't seen Silofau in awhile. Whether he plays tomorrow night remains to be seen. Anyway, I hope Kapule, Kaufusi, and Nawahine can rip through that defense as they are capable of.
@gopunahou: They just might be able to. Iolani did, at least on the ground, which I'm still trying to figure-out.