Unpaid D-I Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Unpaid D-I Football

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Dog 96707 wrote:I think Campbell will beat Iolani. I watched them play twice and I've been pretty impressed with their defense. they fly around and bring a lot of pressure, dbs got a ton of picks... I think they might have something like 24 (that's gotta be more than kahuku?? idk). On offense they're bigger and more physical than iolani. They should eat iolanis D up if they run the rock, they have a solid RB ( I think his name is faumui? with the long hair) Iolani will have a chance if Campbell passes a lot though, their passing isn't too impressive. Now all that being said, iolani should be ready for the challenge, they have a great coaching staff that should put the players in the right position to make plays. But it may come down to Campbell just being too physical. Anyways, I think it should be a competitive game....I'm going with campbell
I like Campbell too. They have an amazing D which could help them compete against Big Red and Waianae and pretty much everybody else for the next 2-3 years.

I'm pulling for Leilehua, but I think the Trojans have too much firepower.

ka'ahupahau706
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
ka'ahupahau706 wrote:@HS Football Fanatic -- Like I said, game is won in the trenches and who has the least amount of turnovers. Congratulations Kapolei, well deserved. Punahou had a really great team, Kapolei played a better game that night. Would love to see that rematch next season.
@ka'ahupahau706: Well, I understand that Punahou was a veteran (senior-heavy) team, so I'm assuming that they'll be losing a lot of players to graduation. I know for sure that QB Kapule is a senior, so he's gone. I'm assuming most of their receivers are graduating? I have no idea what grade-level their receivers are in. Also, seeing as St Louis won the ILH JV, Punahou can't look forward to a championship JV team moving up the ranks to Vars.

I'd like to turn now to the D1 tourney, and Iolani, in particular. They play Campbell this week. Any thoughts on the game? Would you pick Campbell? I'm rooting for Campbell, but I suspect that the game might be close. While Campbell is ranked just one peg above Iolani in the Scoringlive rankings, we know that Iolani can run and pass on O, and that their D is respectable. But, I'm assuming that Campbell has a size/physical advantage, and I'm hoping Campbell might use that to wear-down Iolani both on O and D. On O, I think Campbell should try the run-game, and pass only when necessary. How is Campbell's run-game? Decent? Do they have a good RB? I don't know; I haven't been following Campbell. Any thoughts on that game? Who would you pick to win?
Punahou was definitely a senior led team on offense, not so much defense besides their linebackers. Punahou loses about 5 starters on offense (QB and WR crew) but back up QB looks like he could have a lot of potential. Their Defense looked young. From my understanding, JV has always lost JV due to the team basically being an all Freshman team since the varsity keeps mostly all sophomores. So I can't judge what team will look like when it comes to varsity. What will be interesting though is when Tua graduates and what Cal Lee will do with the team next year.

As for Iolani, I think Campbell might have a chance based on their Defense. I'm not to sure about their offense, but Iolani's defense isn't that great, but they are discipline and tough! Iolani's D-Line is actually pretty big considering the rest of their team and their RB does not get tired, he's a really tough kid. But I think Campbell has a better defense, so I might have to go with Campbell on this game. Unless Iolani has Mizotani back at QB this week than Iolani might have a chance.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

rrforlifebaby wrote:
Dog 96707 wrote:I think Campbell will beat Iolani. I watched them play twice and I've been pretty impressed with their defense. they fly around and bring a lot of pressure, dbs got a ton of picks... I think they might have something like 24 (that's gotta be more than kahuku?? idk). On offense they're bigger and more physical than iolani. They should eat iolanis D up if they run the rock, they have a solid RB ( I think his name is faumui? with the long hair) Iolani will have a chance if Campbell passes a lot though, their passing isn't too impressive. Now all that being said, iolani should be ready for the challenge, they have a great coaching staff that should put the players in the right position to make plays. But it may come down to Campbell just being too physical. Anyways, I think it should be a competitive game....I'm going with campbell
I think the rb is Taase Faumui. Father Taase Faumui? Played for Farrington and Pittsburgh Steelers?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

No.1 Kahuku and No.3 Kapolei

Is there,to borrow a phrase from the just-finished presidential election, a possible path to victory for Kapolei against Kahuku?

The Hurricane O-line held up well against a big Punahou D-line,so I am expecting that the Hurricane QB is not going to run for his life on every play. Kahuku will get more pressure on the QB than Punahou did,but Kapolei's offensive line is fairly decent so Tagovailoa should have some time to make throws once in a while.

Kahuku,to me,has the best defensive backfield in the state. Kapolei OC June Jones will be up to the task but his players will have to make the plays.I would expect some crossing routes or picks to get receivers open against Red Raider defenders.There will almost certainly have to be some new wrinkles to Kapolei's passing game.

Kapolei most likely is not going to run a lot and that will hurt them.That Kahuku D will tee off on the passing game.

Kahuku's offense is no mystery,but nobody can seem to stop it.Kapolei's defense might be a little overmatched against the jumbo set
but they have some big boys of their own. They are going to have to fly to the football and gang tackle, or Kahuku will just wear them out.

Kahuku has a talented QB. He is a freshman, and Kapolei is going to have to do something to make him play like a freshman who is still learning. Not sure if they can do it,but we will see soon enough.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

No.2 St. Louis and No.5 Waianae

I give Waianae a slight offensive edge. They have a 1,000-yard passer and a 2,000-yard ground game. St.Louis has a a 2,000-yard passer and a less than stellar rushing attack.In fact, their QB with the gaudy passing numbers is also the Crusaders leading rusher with around 500 yards. However!Tua Tagovailoa can take over game and carry the offense on his back. He might have to do it against the Seariders.

Defense looks like a wash to me. Both squads have talent on every level of the field.

I am expecting a close game whether it is 14-10,or 38-35.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

No.6 Campbell and unranked Iolani at Mililani's stadium.

Iolani is statistically better on offense than Campbell and the Raiders had to earn those yards the hard way,in part,against Punahou and St. Louis in four of their games this year.Iolani is going to score on Campbell,so how good is the Saber defense? Pretty good,although they are young on defense. Iolani has some crafty upperclassmen on offense so I think Iolani has a slight edge in this game.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Nice observations. I definitely agree that Campbell's D is something watch out for in the next 2 - 3 years.

I can see Waianae "upsetting" St Louis. If Waianae's secondary can keep the Crusader receivers in check and the front 7 puts pressure on Tua-man, upset special

There are only 2 ways Kapolei can even think of pulling an upset against Big Red:1) A good number of starters would have to sit out the game and/or 2) Kapolei somehow goes up big and early on Big Red, forcing them to play catch up.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@Dog 96707: Yes, I would go with Campbell, too. And again, I agree that Campbell should go with the run game, especially since you said their pass-game isn't that hot. The other bad thing about a pass-game is that it would give Iolani's O more time to be on the field, and that's the last thing you want if you're Campbell. Now, I consider it very good news that you say Campbell's secondary has a ton of INTs. I prefer that Iolani not win, so the last thing I want to see is Iolani gaining big yardage through the air on 30-yard-plus bombs, possibly to the end zone. They seem to like to do that. If they try that against Campbell, it would be nice to see the Campbell secondary add to their many INTs. Now, Campbell HC Amosa said on Scoringlive that Iolani has "a sizable D-line," so it might not be as easy as pie for Campbell's O-line to wear them down the way they wore-down Waiakea's D-line. Campbell's O-line is bigger than Iolani's D-line, but Iolani's D-line is by no means small. Therefore, it might be just as important that Campbell's D-line try to wear-down Iolani's O-line, get into their heads, try to get some sacks off of them if and when QB Mizutani tries to throw those long bombs into the end zone.

Regarding the Waiakea v Campbell game: Waiakea seemed to have quite a few thick guys on their O-line, but that obviously didn't help Waiakea much. Guess that's a tribute to Campbell's D-line.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Does anyone think Mililani will commit the kind of penalties and turn the ball over as many times as Campbell did tonight? Ain't taking away anything from Iolani, but Campbell is playing as bad as they could and chose the wrong night to do it. They've turned the ball over FIVE TIMES in the 1st half. Will Mililani make these kind of mistakes next week? It was painfuy obvious for Campbell fans that their best success has come against teams with lackluster offenses and that their defense played its best when its offense didn't put them in horrific spots. Mililani is a far superior offensive team to them, although Campbell might be a far superior defensive team to Mililani. Mililani also won't struggle to find rhythm the way Campbell did tonight, as Gabriel and his receivers are far superior to anything Campbell offers. They've certainly got the offense to put themselves in favorable positions and also control the clock against Iolani. But can they protect the ball against a team that's proven tonight that one of their biggest strengths is takeaways? And will scoring 35-45 points (even against a solid defense like Iolani) be enough? I know HS Football Fanatic hopes the answers to those questions are yes.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

This kahuku team is too good. They're like the Alabama of Hawaii prep football. Looks like it gonna be a rematch of last year's game and I see it playing out the same way. Kahuku wins big over St. Louis!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

reignjah11 wrote:This kahuku team is too good. They're like the Alabama of Hawaii prep football. Looks like it gonna be a rematch of last year's game and I see it playing out the same way. Kahuku wins big over St. Louis!
Yeah. Can Kahuku be Tua's kryptonite again? I know many Punahou players and coaches would love to see Kahuku win, especially Coach Torres.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

reignjah11 wrote:This kahuku team is too good. They're like the Alabama of Hawaii prep football. Looks like it gonna be a rematch of last year's game and I see it playing out the same way. Kahuku wins big over St. Louis!
Gotta agree with you. Kahuku's defense makes quick adjustments. The "bend but don't break" rule was displayed last night. The offense is a multi set monster that pounds away. Stack the box and play action pass kills you. Kahuku is run first. St.Louis and Kapolei is pass first. Difference is Tua has better legs, but when your best rusher is the quarterback, good luck. Tua goes down, the team goes down. I believe Kapolei have the best receivers in the State yet after adjustments last night they got shut down. As far as the pass rush of Kahuku, Minihan is only returning OL and he accounted for 60 yards of holding penalties in last year game. Kickoff and return special teams are solid. Kahuku is like Alabama. Well coached,discipline,physical and run by true freshman quarterbacks. I got this 38-7 , Kahuku.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Fifteen,

1.Kahuku 11-1 No.2 St.Louis next for the Open Division championship.
2.St.Louis 9-1 Crusaders and Red Raiders in yet another title game.
3.Punahou 7-3
4.Kapolei 10-3 Season over.
5.Mililani 8-3 New No.9 Iolani next for the D-1 title.
6.Waianae 9-4 Season over.
7.Campbell 7-5 Season over.
8.Farrington 7-4
9.Iolani 5-7 Raiders In the D-I finals.
10.Leilehua 5-8 Season over.

Hilo bumped out this week.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

unpaid wrote:Week Fifteen,

1.Kahuku 11-1 No.2 St.Louis next for the Open Division championship.
2.St.Louis 9-1 Crusaders and Red Raiders in yet another title game.
3.Punahou 7-3
4.Kapolei 10-3 Season over.
5.Mililani 8-3 New No.9 Iolani next for the D-1 title.
6.Waianae 9-4 Season over.
7.Campbell 7-5 Season over.
8.Farrington 7-4
9.Iolani 5-7 Raiders In the D-I finals.
10.Leilehua 5-8 Season over.

Hilo bumped out this week.
Farrington below Campbell?

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

And Kapolei below Punahou? Didn't the Hurricane prove themselves to be the better team? And they did it head-to-head in the Open tourney no less, when it counts the most for everyone.