Unpaid D-I Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Unpaid D-I Football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Dog 96707 wrote:
gopunahou wrote:A 33-point beating should make me feel good and as if nothing can bother me, but whose bright idea was it to have Logan Williams, one of the leaders of our defense, run with a 26 pt lead? Talk about tarnishing a win and a trip to states!
I saw that too. It looked like he hurt his knee pretty bad. Hopefully he can bounce back and the injury isn't as bad as it looked. Don't know why he was in with that sizeable lead that they had. And on Offense on top of that. Besides that, it looks like they'll be at full strength going into Fridays championship game against Stl. I think Stl may be a little banged up on defense, I know lb Isaiah taliulu is out with an acl, but I also noticed lb Dylan toilolo not in pads during the 4th qtr of the iolani game. not sure when he was injured or how serious. those 2 lbs were having big seasons too, it would be a huge loss if toilolo is out. I'm hoping to see a battle, but I'm pretty sure pun will win this match up again.
@Dog 96707: Even if St Louis were at full strength, Punahou would probably still win. At this point, I think the only team that can beat Punahou is Kahuku. But, sometimes I wonder whether Kapolei or Mililani might have a chance against Punahou. Anyone out there think those two have a chance?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

We are near the brink of the first Open Division States.There is still some football before states, but here is one possible scenario.

Kahuku has not lost to a Hawaii team in almost two years. I see the Red Raiders as the Number one seed and heads one bracket. Barring an upset Punahou probably gets the number two seed and heads the other bracket.

My guess is that Punahou and St. Louis will be in different brackets,so I see the Crusaders getting the third seed and being put in the Kahuku bracket. St.Louis would probably play the sixth seed which I guess will be Farrington. The winner moves onto the semi's against Kahuku.

In the other bracket,the fourth and fifth seeds would play. I think that game would be Kapolei vs. Waianae. The winner moves on to play Punahou in the other semifinal.

However,who knows what the seeding committee will do.

Now,what about D-I states? Eight teams and no byes. So far we know that the field will consist of Campbell,Mililani,Leilehua,Moanalua,Iolani,Hilo,and Waiakea. The MIL representative will be the winner of the Baldwin-Maui game.I think Baldwin will take the win there.

With eight teams , I think the first round games would be based on top-bottom seeding 1vs 8,2 vs 7,3 vs 6 and 4vs 5.
My guess is that Campbell and Mililani are going to be the top two seeds. I think Campbell should be I,but Mililani will probably get it. Iolani probably gets the third seed. I know they played the toughest opposition in the ILH D-I but with three wins,I don't think they get higher than a three seed. We shall see. The only thing I feel pretty sure about is that Waiakea will be put in the eight spot.

With that preamble,first round could be 1Mililani vs8Waiakea, 2Campbell vs 7Moanalua, 3Iolani vs 6Leilehua, and 4Hilo vs 5Baldwin.

Semi's could be 1v8 winner against 4v5 winner.the other semifinal could be the2v7 winner against the3v6 winner.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:We are near the brink of the first Open Division States.There is still some football before states, but here is one possible scenario.

Kahuku has not lost to a Hawaii team in almost two years. I see the Red Raiders as the Number one seed and heads one bracket. Barring an upset Punahou probably gets the number two seed and heads the other bracket.

My guess is that Punahou and St. Louis will be in different brackets,so I see the Crusaders getting the third seed and being put in the Kahuku bracket. St.Louis would probably play the sixth seed which I guess will be Farrington. The winner moves onto the semi's against Kahuku.

In the other bracket,the fourth and fifth seeds would play. I think that game would be Kapolei vs. Waianae. The winner moves on to play Punahou in the other semifinal.

However,who knows what the seeding committee will do.

Now,what about D-I states? Eight teams and no byes. So far we know that the field will consist of Campbell,Mililani,Leilehua,Moanalua,Iolani,Hilo,and Waiakea. The MIL representative will be the winner of the Baldwin-Maui game.I think Baldwin will take the win there.

With eight teams , I think the first round games would be based on top-bottom seeding 1vs 8,2 vs 7,3 vs 6 and 4vs 5.
My guess is that Campbell and Mililani are going to be the top two seeds. I think Campbell should be I,but Mililani will probably get it. Iolani probably gets the third seed. I know they played the toughest opposition in the ILH D-I but with three wins,I don't think they get higher than a three seed. We shall see. The only thing I feel pretty sure about is that Waiakea will be put in the eight spot.

With that preamble,first round could be 1Mililani vs8Waiakea, 2Campbell vs 7Moanalua, 3Iolani vs 6Leilehua, and 4Hilo vs 5Baldwin.

Semi's could be 1v8 winner against 4v5 winner.the other semifinal could be the2v7 winner against the3v6 winner.
@unpaid: Oh, so Mililani won't be in the Open Div tourney. What impressed me about Mililani is that they scored 33 pts on Waianae's D, and Waianae has a very good D, especially their D-line. Furthermore, all 33 pts were scored by the O; there were no pick-sixes or fumble-return TDs. That tells me Mililani has a very good O. Also, Mililani lost by only 3. It's too bad that Mililani won't be in the Open Div tourney. I think they would have given Punahou and/or Kapolei a pretty good rub.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Dog 96707 wrote:
gopunahou wrote:A 33-point beating should make me feel good and as if nothing can bother me, but whose bright idea was it to have Logan Williams, one of the leaders of our defense, run with a 26 pt lead? Talk about tarnishing a win and a trip to states!
I saw that too. It looked like he hurt his knee pretty bad. Hopefully he can bounce back and the injury isn't as bad as it looked. Don't know why he was in with that sizeable lead that they had. And on Offense on top of that. Besides that, it looks like they'll be at full strength going into Fridays championship game against Stl. I think Stl may be a little banged up on defense, I know lb Isaiah taliulu is out with an acl, but I also noticed lb Dylan toilolo not in pads during the 4th qtr of the iolani game. not sure when he was injured or how serious. those 2 lbs were having big seasons too, it would be a huge loss if toilolo is out. I'm hoping to see a battle, but I'm pretty sure pun will win this match up again.
@Dog 96707: Even if St Louis were at full strength, Punahou would probably still win. At this point, I think the only team that can beat Punahou is Kahuku. But, sometimes I wonder whether Kapolei or Mililani might have a chance against Punahou. Anyone out there think those two have a chance?
@HS Football Fanatic: Yea, I agree. I haven't seen a team stop punahou's offense yet, and I don't see it happening this week. Mil and Kapolei wouldn't be able to stop that offense either, although I think Kapolei would give punahou a good game. I don't think mil or Kapolei would beat stl either, but it would be closer than it would be against punahou.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dog 96707 wrote:
Dog 96707 wrote:
@HS Football Fanatic: Yea, I agree. I haven't seen a team stop punahou's offense yet, and I don't see it happening this week. Mil and Kapolei wouldn't be able to stop that offense either, although I think Kapolei would give punahou a good game. I don't think mil or Kapolei would beat stl either, but it would be closer than it would be against punahou.
@Dog 96707: Yes. Thankfully, Kahuku has a complete D. It's not like only their D-line or front-seven are good; so is their secondary, and we know how important a good secondary is when you want to thwart a pass-oriented team like Punahou. When Kahuku plays Punahou, I'm hoping Kahuku's DBs can make some deflections, break-up passes, and/or perhaps even get some INTs. Punahou has faced a very good D-line--Kamehameha's--but I don't think they've faced a secondary like Kahuku's. If Kahuku can have perhaps two lock-down DBs, especially safeties, man! Kahuku might get coverage sacks, too. Indeed, I think Kahuku's D overall--but their secondary in particular--is the answer to Punahou's O. As for St Louis, I think people are overrating them. Keep in mind that two of their TDs against Iolani were scored by their D. It seems as though St Louis' O has caught some kind of disease, so to speak. They're simply not as productive as they were a bit earlier in the season. Because of that, I think both Mililani and Kapolei would have a good chance to beat St Louis. Despite Tagovailoa, it seems that in St Louis' last two games, it was their D that carried the day.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I hope St. Louis got lucky last week playing against an Iolani team without Mizutani. Their defense bent but didn't break, as Iolani had lots of opportunities to score. We've got to do what Iolani couldn't last week--capitalize on opportunities.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

Dog 96707 wrote:
@Dog 96707: Yes. Thankfully, Kahuku has a complete D. It's not like only their D-line or front-seven are good; so is their secondary, and we know how important a good secondary is when you want to thwart a pass-oriented team like Punahou. When Kahuku plays Punahou, I'm hoping Kahuku's DBs can make some deflections, break-up passes, and/or perhaps even get some INTs. Punahou has faced a very good D-line--Kamehameha's--but I don't think they've faced a secondary like Kahuku's. If Kahuku can have perhaps two lock-down DBs, especially safeties, man! Kahuku might get coverage sacks, too. Indeed, I think Kahuku's D overall--but their secondary in particular--is the answer to Punahou's O. As for St Louis, I think people are overrating them. Keep in mind that two of their TDs against Iolani were scored by their D. It seems as though St Louis' O has caught some kind of disease, so to speak. They're simply not as productive as they were a bit earlier in the season. Because of that, I think both Mililani and Kapolei would have a good chance to beat St Louis. Despite Tagovailoa, it seems that in St Louis' last two games, it was their D that carried the day.

@HS Football Fanatic: That's the match up I think everyone wants to see. Punahou O v. kahuku D. without a successful running game, punahou may have their hands full against kahuku, especially those dbs. It's the game I want to see, hopefully it will happen. I'm not sure why everyone is all over stl to begin with?? like I've said before, they only have Tua and slade matautia....that's it. their supporting cast and experience can't come close to punahou's. But I think they would match up great against Kapolei and mil. I think they're probably the 3rd best team in the state, Kapolei might be 3A.....LOL

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:I hope St. Louis got lucky last week playing against an Iolani team without Mizutani. Their defense bent but didn't break, as Iolani had lots of opportunities to score. We've got to do what Iolani couldn't last week--capitalize on opportunities.
@gopunahou: Honestly, I don't think Punahou has to worry about St Louis. St Louis' D has certainly been tough of late, but I think their O has gone downhill. So, whether the score is close or not, I think it's almost certain that Punahou will win. Now that Punahou is going to Open Div states, I think the only team Punahou really has to worry about is Kahuku. I think Kahuku is the only team strong enough on both O and D to beat Punahou.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dog 96707 wrote:
Dog 96707 wrote:

@HS Football Fanatic: That's the match up I think everyone wants to see. Punahou O v. kahuku D. without a successful running game, punahou may have their hands full against kahuku, especially those dbs. It's the game I want to see, hopefully it will happen. I'm not sure why everyone is all over stl to begin with?? like I've said before, they only have Tua and slade matautia....that's it. their supporting cast and experience can't come close to punahou's. But I think they would match up great against Kapolei and mil. I think they're probably the 3rd best team in the state, Kapolei might be 3A.....LOL
@Dog 96707: I think the reason a lot of people are kind of big on St Louis is that they kicked Punahou's butts by 3 TDs the first round. But, the thing is, that doesn't seem to be the same St Louis that we see right now. As I mentioned, something has happened to their O; they're just not as good as they were in that first-round game. As for Kahuku, yes: I'm hoping that Kahuku can exploit Punahou's lack of a run game. Force Punahou to go with the pass game almost exclusively, and have your defensive front-seven ride Punahou QB Kapule's butt. This is where Kahuku's excellent secondary is so critical: With the front-seven committing to the pass rush, hopefully the excellent secondary can cover Punahou's receivers well enough. Meanwhile, on O, I'd like to see Kahuku shove the ball down Punahou's throat. Punahou has a good D-line, but I'd like to see Kahuku's O-line--and blocking backs--simply pound Punahou's defensive front-seven; pound them early, pound them often, pound them all game. I want to see Kahuku's O-line and blocking backs punish Punahou's defensive front-seven. I'd like to see a display of brute force by Kahuku's O, and I'd like to see it the entire game. I want Kahuku to make a statement that game; I want them to rise-up and conquer.

bigD
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by bigD »

Unfortunately punahou is to good to let that happen. They got some big boys playing up front that could possibly force kahuku to run off tackle or bounce everything outside. I was at the scrimmage and noticed the defense kahuku ran was really basic and punahou really took advantage. Kahuku also ran on punahou with much success while playing farrington in the same scrimmage. Yes punahou played farrington as well but it's a lot harder and more physical when running the ball then passing. Both teams are equal in my opinion..

ka'ahupahau706

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

@HS Football Fanatic - that's pretty descriptive in how you want Kahuku to beat Punahou. I mean I know you wanted Saint Louis to beat them bad. What do you have against Punahou? Lol

I think the Punahou vs Saint Louis should be a lot tighter game than the last. I know their LB Logan Williams will be out due to the injury last game. I think Kahuku's biggest threat in the OIA will be Kapolei. Kapolei has been having great momentum week to week since they first lost to Waianae. It seems their offense is finally starting to understand the schemes of the June Jone's offense. Can't wait to watch that match up. We all know the capabilities of Big Red and how good they can be.

I also can't wait to watch the Kahuku vs Punahou match up, if that happens. I know they played each other in a scrimmage before the season and both team's offense and defense were the base plays, but from what I remember Kahuku was able to run for 1 TD. But their DB's got torched for a few TD's. If they clean that up(which they have) they'll be top shape. Plus we all know Red Raider Nation is a lot harder to beat in the playoffs. Their a whole different animal and I can't wait for this open division playoffs.

A true championship tournament, if you want to be the best.. You must beat the best teams. Every game will be a good game. Goodluck to all teams and can't wait to see the crowds at the stadium.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ka'ahupahau706 wrote:@HS Football Fanatic - that's pretty descriptive in how you want Kahuku to beat Punahou. I mean I know you wanted Saint Louis to beat them bad. What do you have against Punahou? Lol

I think the Punahou vs Saint Louis should be a lot tighter game than the last. I know their LB Logan Williams will be out due to the injury last game. I think Kahuku's biggest threat in the OIA will be Kapolei. Kapolei has been having great momentum week to week since they first lost to Waianae. It seems their offense is finally starting to understand the schemes of the June Jone's offense. Can't wait to watch that match up. We all know the capabilities of Big Red and how good they can be.

I also can't wait to watch the Kahuku vs Punahou match up, if that happens. I know they played each other in a scrimmage before the season and both team's offense and defense were the base plays, but from what I remember Kahuku was able to run for 1 TD. But their DB's got torched for a few TD's. If they clean that up(which they have) they'll be top shape. Plus we all know Red Raider Nation is a lot harder to beat in the playoffs. Their a whole different animal and I can't wait for this open division playoffs.

A true championship tournament, if you want to be the best.. You must beat the best teams. Every game will be a good game. Goodluck to all teams and can't wait to see the crowds at the stadium.
I wonder if his feelings toward Punahou are as strong as mine were toward Iolani back in the day (all because of a certain user who gave the whole Iolani community a bad name!).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ka'ahupahau706 wrote:@HS Football Fanatic - that's pretty descriptive in how you want Kahuku to beat Punahou. I mean I know you wanted Saint Louis to beat them bad. What do you have against Punahou? Lol

@ka'ahupahau706: Yeah, OK, you called me on it. I kind of thought someone would; I realized a few hours after I generated that post that I came-on kind of strong. OK, I confess that I don't exactly care for Punahou School; I guess it's kind of obvious. I suppose I owe an apology to Punahou alumni: I mean, I'm sorry I feel that way about your alma mater.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:

I wonder if his feelings toward Punahou are as strong as mine were toward Iolani back in the day (all because of a certain user who gave the whole Iolani community a bad name!).
@gopunahou: Yeah, I think we all know about the intense rivalry between Iolani and Punahou. I suspect that that's the most intense high-school rivalry on the island. For example, I once had a colleague who's an '80 Iolani grad. He said that when he was a student at Iolani, the feeling towards Punahou was very close to hatred. He graduated from Iolani 36 years ago; I don't know if Iolani feels the same way about Punahou now, but I'm very certain that the rivalry is still there. Now, gopunahou, I don't know you personally, but I've read your posts over the years, and I can attest that you're a very polite, respectful person. I do apologize that I'm not at all fond of your alma mater, but I certainly think very highly of you. (Incidentally, I'm not an Iolani alumnus.)

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliners this week,

No.1 Kahuku and No.5 Waianae.The Red Raiders have the best collective talent in the state.The Searider's coach finds a way to make the next meeting a little harder on Kahuku, they keep on winning.Picking Kahuku for the win.

No.2 Punahou and No.3 St.Louis. Tua Tagovailoa's production has fallen off to a consistently lower level the past few games. This is a big red flag against a Punahou offense that is running like a high performance engine. Picking Punahou for the win.

No.4 Kapolei and No.7 Farrington. The Govs showed me something by beating Campbell last week.A couple of recent losses and I had basically written them off to the D-I tournament.Except , Farrington dug down and played like the team that is practically a fixture at the highest level of post-season competition every year. The Hurricanes will run into some wind-shear this week. Picking Farrington to win this one.