Unpaid D-II football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Bee-ai-boi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Unpaid D-II football

Post by Bee-ai-boi »

Getreal$

Thanks for the info. That's too bad...are they going to be able to field a team for the BIIF"s? Was also wondering if they will field a JV team this year?

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Bee-ai-boi wrote:Getreal$

Thanks for the info. That's too bad...are they going to be able to field a team for the BIIF"s? Was also wondering if they will field a JV team this year?
They'll be fine, looks like they have 30-40. As for JV, I don't know yet, will find out.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliners this week,

No.1 Kapaa and No.6 Lahainaluna,

Kapaa has a wealth of returning ,experienced players from last year's state finalist squad. The Lunas are still a very young team.Kapaa should take this contest.

backyard ballaz
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by backyard ballaz »

Who does Kapaa have coming back?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Mo Unutoa OL 6-5 280 has FBS offers. Kapena Texeira DL 260,and Mana Kupihea LB are studs on defense. Kapaa has a good kicker in Clifton Oliver. That's off the top of my head....but when you combine that with a big senior class that has been part of Kapaa's recent resurgence,I think they get the edge over the Lunas.Lahainaluna is still young ,although improving,but is that enough to overcome Kapaa's more experienced upperclassmen? We will see.

backyard ballaz
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by backyard ballaz »

I've heard the names of those 3 players you mention. I understand the importance of the kicking game but we talkin about kickers (Iverson voice). I thought the Luna's return something crazy like 19 starters? Anyway, Kapaa didn't do so well against Maui, a team usually dessimated by AP this early in the year. I think it will be a great game.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Damien is 1-1 coming out of its D-I stretch of opponents. That's not a bad outcome. The offense seems to be coming around for the Monarchs. PAC-5 is quietly 2-0 and getting ready to make it a real three team race in ILH D-II.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Two,

1.Kapaa 1-0 beat Lahainaluna in The Imu.
2.St.Francis 1-0 No.4 Konawaena next.
3.Damien 1-1 beat D-I Maui.
4.Konawaena 0-0 DNP. No.2 St.Francis next.
5.Kaimuki 1-0 Pulled out a win over a tough Waialua squad.
6.Kamehameha-Hawaii 1-0 DNP
7.Pac-5 2-0
8.Lahainaluna 1-1
9.Waipahu 2-0 Marauders are doing just that in D-II so far.
10.Pearl City 1-1 Back in the top ten.

Kalani dropped out of the top ten this week.

ILH D-II shaping up to be a real battle with all three teams in the top seven and putting up decent numbers on offense.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Made some corrections in the top ten in reference to next weekend opponents.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliners this weekend,

No.2 St.Francis and No.4 Konawaena. This is my upset special. Konawaena returns three all-staters,and they apparently have decent size on the line. Enough size to contend with St.Francis" big trench men. Scrimmages aren't games,I know,but Konawaena seemed to be clicking on O in scrimmages this summer. The Wildcats have key offensive returnees,a bigger than usual line,good defense,and they have gone into the semifinals at states. The Saints are steadily improving,but haven't got past Damien yet to get into even a first-round state playoff game. I think Konawaena has enough talent and a definite experience edge to take the W in this game.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

unpaid wrote:Headliners this weekend,

No.2 St.Francis and No.4 Konawaena. This is my upset special. Konawaena returns three all-staters,and they apparently have decent size on the line. Enough size to contend with St.Francis" big trench men. Scrimmages aren't games,I know,but Konawaena seemed to be clicking on O in scrimmages this summer. The Wildcats have key offensive returnees,a bigger than usual line,good defense,and they have gone into the semifinals at states. The Saints are steadily improving,but haven't got past Damien yet to get into even a first-round state playoff game. I think Konawaena has enough talent and a definite experience edge to take the W in this game.
This will be a great test for both teams and quite frankly, could very well end up being two teams in the DII finals. I too believe Konawaena will win this matchup but it wont be easy. St. Francis is coming off a win against a scrappy Kauai team and they should have some confidence knowing they played Kona tough during last years preseason contest and do return lots of players on both sides of the ball. The difference will be QB play and if St. Francis can neutralize the up-tempo passing game led by Ewing. If they can keep the score low, they have a chance. If not, it might be a long evening.

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

I think St Francis plays a bunch of two way payers, especially on the line. How effective can they be after a few defensive series against a very fast moving offense. I've heard that kona's offense moves at a very quick pace and that's always tough on defenses this early in the year. Can those lineman turn around and block on offense? Very tough.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Konawaena got a one-point win against St. Francis.The Saints got two defensive scores. If Kona takes better care of the ball,there shouldn't be too many more squeakers on their schedule.

Pearl City is starting to look like a player in OIA D-II.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

[quote="unpaid"]Konawaena got a one-point win against St. Francis.The Saints got two defensive scores. If Kona takes better care of the ball,there shouldn't be too many more squeakers on their schedule.

Great competitive game. Only disappointment to me was some of Ewing's throws, that if not for the Kona defense making huge stops inside the red zone, could have been a two or three TD swing in favor of St. Francis. On the other hand, St. Francis shot themselves in the foot by failing to put scores on the board on at least four different occasions. You can't do that against a high powered quick strike offense and expect to win. If I count correctly, St. Francis should have had seven Interceptions, but they were also lucky Kona's top receiver #81 appeared to be reluctant to catch balls over the middle, as he dropped a few wide open throws. But in the end, it was the three crucial turnovers out of the spread that killed them. Should've stuck to the power run with the lead.

Bee-ai-boi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Bee-ai-boi »

Saw the Konawaena St. Francis game on scoringlive and came away kind of impressed with their defense. The Wildcat D gave up one score after being put in one bad situation after another. Their middle lb is a little small but played a big game. Also didn't see their stud D tackle out there...is he hurt? The Kona D gave up less than 100 yards rushing to what seemed to be a bigger more physical team so not sure if the Saints power game would have eaten up the clock that effectively. I think Kona will iron out some of the kinks in their offense and get better as they move on through the season...but they better improve quickly cause Hilos up next. Can't wait for that one...will try to make the trip out there to see that one. Right now I will give Kona the edge in that one but may change as I get some info on the Vikings game against St. Louis.