Unpaid D-II football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Unpaid D-II football

Post by unpaid »

A week to go to the first football action for 2016. I have kept the same rank I projected in the Way too soon top tens thread.

1.Kapaa Have the most returnees from last year's D-II state finalist team.
2.Damien The Monarchs take on my D-I No.10 team Moanalua. A good showing or win would solidify Damien as No.2.
3.St.Francis
4.Konawaena
5.Kaimuki The loss of Billy Masima is definitely a blow to the Bulldogs title hopes..Coach Tautofi is installing an attitude and work
Ethic that may offset that loss.We will see.I won't drop Kaimuki because of the loss of one player.
6.Lahainaluna vs. No.10 Pearl City. Not sure what to think about this one. Pearl City was not in the postseason last year..and even though
The Lunas were..2015 was definitely not a Luna type year. Toss-up,maybe?
7.Kamehameha-Hawaii. Warriors have a lot of questions but they seem to come up with answers...Let us see what happens.
8.Pac-5
9.Kalani
10.Pearl City Missed the playoffs last year.Waipahu is probably going to be a big challenge to all OIA D-II teams but I think the
Chargers can get back to the OIA playoffs at least this year. No. 6 Lahainaluna next.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Unpaid D-II football

Post by Getreal$ »

I'll try to catch the scrimmages tomorrow between KSHawaii, Lahainaluna, and Hilo. I'm sure it will be worth the hour half drive. I think your pre-season DII rankings will hold for most of the season with maybe Waipahu sneaking in. BIIF DII will hold true with Kona the team to beat and KSH will battle them.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Getreal$,

Please do let us know how those scrimmages go. I would welcome any other posters as well who can get to this weekend's scrimmages to post your observations on the teams you get to see.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Impressions from scrimmage reports,

I know Lahainaluna is one of the youngest teams in Hawaii, but a lot of their sophomores played last year as freshman. Why is holding onto the ball still a problem? Maybe it's just a little rust from the off-season.

If the Kamehameha-Hawaii runner was getting 3-5 yards a rush then maybe the Warriors new O-line will be just fine and improve throughout the season.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

3-5 yards a carry may be a bit exaggerated, he had maybe two carries of 5 yards, but that was after their QB got sacked three times in a row. Lahinaluna, like any other leeward coast team, had a hard time playing in the rain, and it poured pretty good during the early part of the scrimmage.

Hilo was the only team to score points but they did look a bit out of sync on offense. They lost their starting LB early with a leg injury but otherwise did well on D as expected.

Kamehameha Hawaii looked better than I expected but the OL needs work. Lahainaluna's front three pretty much shut their Offense down completely. Kam D looked good and I think it will be a closer BIIF DII than I initially thought. The only issue is their secondary, who gave up at least 10 20+ yard catches against Hilo. Their O needs work and their quick sit route will eventually get old, as the end of the scrimmage exposed that with their receivers getting jammed resulting in sacks or incompletions. But I think it won't be a easy road for Kona.

Lahainaluna looks young and small but their kids are well coached and play tough disciplined football. The fumbles happened early in the scrimmage in heavy rain but they did settle down and played well. Of course Hilo came out on top followed by Lahainaluna then KSH.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Getreal$,

Thanks for your scrimmage notes.These contributions help balance and clarify media scrimmage reports. Another set of eyes always helps on perspective.

Have you seen or heard anything about the tri-scrimmage with Konawaena,Kealakehe,and Kamehameha-Hawaii? Sounded like Konawaena was rocking down the field on offense and very stingy on defense. I wonder if Kealakehe gives the Grace kid time to grow into the QB role,or do they just plug Trevino back in?

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Konawaena looked sharp considering its early. Ewing looked good and did hook up with his receivers consistently when he was in. Their skilled players are quick and make plays all over the field. Most impressive to me was their OL. they gave Ewing enough time to make reads and enough space to get out when needed.

Kealakehe has the best LB on the Island in Hatori. He was everywhere on the field and even had a pick six. As with the last few years, they need to figure out their QB situation.

Ks Hawaii had a couple of standout players in SB Bowden and LB Wayne Dacalio, and their QB looked okay at times throwing the ball deep on one on one coverage. I think they'll give Kona a run for the championship come October.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliners this week,

No.2 Damien and D-I No.10 Moanalua. Kaiser and Iolani have won D-II championships only to move on to D-I and suddenly lose program momentum. I think that there is a real divide in terms of team talent between the two divisions. I don't really expect the Monarchs to win this one.

No.6 Lahainaluna and No.10 Pearl City. The Chargers' returnees did not make states last year. The Lunas did,and they have a lot young kids returning who were thrown into the fire as underclassmen starters. Going with the Lunas in this contest.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Anyone watched the St. Francis/Kaimuki scrimmage? Any insight?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Damien was game ,but Moanalua was just too much for them in a D-I vs.D-II battle.Not much else to say. Light schedule this week with most everybody getting into action next weekend.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week One,

1.Kapaa 1-0 beat D-I Maui. No.6 Lahainaluna next
2.St.Francis 0-0 Did not play.
3.Damien 0-1 lost to D-I Moanalua. Drop one spot.
4.Konawaena 0-0 DNP
5.Kaimuki 0-0 DNP
6.Lahainaluna 1-0 beat Pearl City. Chargers drop out of the top ten for now. Lunas host No.1 Kapaa next weekend.
7.Kamehameha-Hawaii 1-0 fairly demolished a depleted Waiakea team.
8.Pac-5 1-0 ran roughshod over McKinley.
9.Kalani 0-0 DNP
10.Waipahu 1-0 defeated D-I Nanakuli.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Kamehameha Hawaii looked good on both sides of the ball. Outside of having a beautiful new stadium, Waiakea struggled to get anything going on offense. Looked like they, Waiakea, suited just 20 players and two injuries early on put them at 18 for the entire game. In the blistering heat and new turf field, Waiakea was done by half. Few bright spots for Waiakea was them marching down the field on at least four possessions led by QB Octavio, who scrambled his way all game into the redzone, but unfortunately came up empty.

I'm not sure how much weight I would put into this win, but KSH should compete for the DII championship.

backyard ballaz
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by backyard ballaz »

1. Konawaena
2. Kapaa
3. St Francis
4. Kaimuki
5. Lahainaluna
6. Damien
7. Waipahu
8. PAC-5
9. KS-Hawaii
10. Pearl City

Bee-ai-boi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Bee-ai-boi »

Anybody know why the game between Honokaa and Waialua was cancelled?

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Bee-ai-boi wrote:Anybody know why the game between Honokaa and Waialua was cancelled?
Honokaa had only 19 kids eligible due to AP and lack of pad time.