Unpaid D-II football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Unpaid D-II football

Post by unpaid »

Pearl City had a chance to lock up a OIA playoff spot, but lost to Kaimuki.There is still a possibility of a five-way tie in the OIA for the four playoff spots.Nobody wants to end their season on a coin toss or card draw.

I think Kamehameha-Hawaii can slow down Konawaena. If the Wildcats are held to 28 points,Kona still wins because I don't think the Warriors can score more.

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

Question now that Damien won the draw: if St Francis beats PAC 5 Thursday, they then play Damien the following week. Will that game be for the title? Or do the Saints have to beat Damien twice now?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

St. Francis would have to beat Damien twice. The ILH has two rounds of play. Damien,by virtue of the card draw is the first round champ. Assuming that the Saints beat Pac-5 in the playoffs and face Damien in the ILH championship game, a win by St. Francis over Damien would make St.Francis the second round champ. If the first round champ from the regular season and the second round champ from the ILH playoffs are not the same team then there has to be one more game between those teams to determine the ILH champion who then goes onto states.

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

Thanks unpaid. Makes sense. Damn the pull of a card awarded a one game lead. That was huge.

Also, what the heck happen to Kapaa???

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I think HPW made it sound that if Damien and St. Francis were to meet, the winner of that game would be the ILH's D2 representative. There wouldn't be a need to play again if St. Francis beat both Damien and Pac-Five.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Konawaena up 13-0 at half. Little slow start for Kona with Kam D playing the first qtr tough. But the lack of offense is keeping that D on the field too long and its taking a toll. Not a good sign for Kam being down a couple scores and needing go to the air. It will be interesting to see how Kam responds in the second half.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Second half Kam put up two quick scores to make it 19-12, but Konawaena answered with two scores and a safety to put the game away 35-12. Kamehameha D played tough but you just can't leave them on the field all night and expect good results. Gotta fix that offense quickly.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Ten,

1.Konawaena 6-1 Wildcats take over the top spot.
2.St. Francis 4-2
3.Kapaa 6-1 Warriors fall to three,but can still clinch a ticket to states with a win over Waimea.
4.Damien 5-2 DNP
5.Waipahu 7-1
6.Waialua 4-2
7.Pearl City 5-2
8.Lahainaluna 5-3
9.Kaimuki 5-3
10.Kamehameha-Hawaii 6-2 D-I No.6 Hilo next.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

BIIF DII updates - Konawaena won 38-8 after a mostly sloppy played game. Kona seems to sputter on offense early but eventually they started to clique and by half I was headed to Hilo, since the score was only 16-0 at half. Across town in Hilo, KS-Hawaii had all kinds of problems on offense again, and their defense didn't fair much better against the much bigger and physical Hilo team. Hilo Pick 6 as I was walking in to take a 23-0 lead. To put things into perspective, KS had a first and goal inside the Hilo 5 yard line after a bad punt snap, but three plays later it was 3rd and goal from the 40...not good. KS had better work hard this coming week if they want to challenge Kona for the DII championship. Final score 39-7, KS defense scored the lone TD on a fumble against Hilo's third string.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Wild year in OIA D-II. Pearl City looked to be marching to the top after taking down Waipahu. Now,a few weeks later,Waipahu is first,Pearl City is fourth, with Kaimuki and Waialua sandwiched in between.PC-Waipahu could go either way and both of those Bulldogs can bite. Here come the playoffs.

Statewide,Konawaena would seem to be the team to beat. Against the Wildcats, it would help to have a defense like 2015 Radford, or the 2013 squads of Kaiser,Kauai,or Lahainaluna. I don't know if there is any 2016 defensive unit that can match those teams....although, St. Francis has been playing mighty tough D lately.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Eleven,

1.Konawaena 7-1 vs Kamehameha-Hawaii next.
2.St. Francis 5-2 No.4 Damien next @ Aloha.
3.Kapaa 7-1 KIF champions clinch state playoff berth.
4.Damien 5-2 See St. Francis
5.Waipahu 7-1 DNP
6.Waialua 5-2
7.Kaimuki 5-3 DNP
8.Pearl City 5-3 Loss to Waialua drops the Chargers a couple of spots.
9.Lahainaluna 5-4 Lost to D-I No.8 Baldwin.
10. Kalani 4-3 Finished with a huge margin of victory over McKinley. Season over.

Kamehameha-Hawaii drops out with the loss to Hilo.

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

unpaid wrote:St. Francis would have to beat Damien twice. The ILH has two rounds of play. Damien,by virtue of the card draw is the first round champ. Assuming that the Saints beat Pac-5 in the playoffs and face Damien in the ILH championship game, a win by St. Francis over Damien would make St.Francis the second round champ. If the first round champ from the regular season and the second round champ from the ILH playoffs are not the same team then there has to be one more game between those teams to determine the ILH champion who then goes onto states.

Now I'm confused...just read the article on scoring live that tomorrow's matchup between Damien and St Francis is lose and go home and the winner gets the lone berth???

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

The confusion is on my part. I misread the media article outlining ILH playoff scenarios a month or so ago. This week's Damien- St. Francis game is the championship game and prize D-II state tournament berth. These ILH teams play each other too much,anyway.

Headliners this week,

No.2 St. Francis and No.4 Damien. St. Francis has been playing their best football of the year recently A punishing ground game has rolled for almost 800 yards. The defense is stingy and consistent. On the other side, Damien are the defending ILH champions.The Monarchs have had three weeks to scheme for this one. I don't think long layoffs hurt ILH teams as much because they deal with it every year. Coach Klaneski may have a few new wrinkles,but he basically told it like it is....just cut down on the mistakes and turnovers and the Monarchs will go to states. I would give the edge to Damien in playoff and state experience.

No.5 Waipahu and No.8 Pearl City. Pearl City put that 1 to Waipahu in their 7-1 record. However it has been up and down for the Chargers this year. Waipahu has also had some ugly stretches of play but only one loss. Edge to Waipahu.

No.6 Waialua and No.7 Kaimuki. One of these squads will end their season and that makes me a little sad.They may not be the biggest dogs, but they are both Bulldogs...loyal, perserverance,tough two-way players.To me, these two teams are similar. The stats are similar,and the regular season meeting was a 22-20 decision won by Kaimuki. Slight edge to the Bulldogs wearing red.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Damien is in,Waipahu is in,Waialua is in.Lahainaluna seems to be peaking with their shutout over King Kekaulike.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Twelve,

1.Konawaena 8-1 Battled back to defeat Kamehameha-Hawaii for the BIIF title. States in two weeks.
2.Kapaa 7-1 DNP
3.Damien 6-2 Beat St. Francis for the ILH title.
4.St.Francis 6-2 Season over.
5.Waipahu 8-1 No.6 Waialua next for OIA title.
6.Waialua 6-2 See Waipahu.
7.Lahainaluna 6-4 Move up two spots with win over King Kekaulike.
8.Kaimuki 5-4 Season over.
9.Pearl City 5-4 Season over.
10. Kalani 4-3 SO.