Unpaid D-II football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Unpaid D-II football

Post by unpaid »

Luna D scoring more than the Luna O. Not ideal, but maybe good enough to win this one. We shall see.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

21-14 Lunas but the last 14 scored by Kapaa. Getting interesting!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

That personal foul omKapaa might seal the win for Lahainaluna.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Kudos to the 2016 D-II state champion Lunas from Lahainaluna! Kapaa made it a game in the second half.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

2016 Final rank,

1.Lahainaluna 9-4 Defense led the way for the Lunas in this championship run.
2.Kapaa 8-2 Warriors made a valiant second half run,but came up short.
3.Konawaena 8-3
4.Damien 7-3
5.St. Francis 6-2
6.Waialua 7-3
7.Waipahu 8-3
8.Kaimuki 5-4
9.Pearl City 5-4
10.Kalani 4-3

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Loved the quote from Coach Tihada--"Well, I thank Iolani for not being here," joked Lahainaluna co-coach Garret Tihada. "But it's great It's great." An overdue championship for Lahainaluna.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote:Loved the quote from Coach Tihada--"Well, I thank Iolani for not being here," joked Lahainaluna co-coach Garret Tihada. "But it's great It's great." An overdue championship for Lahainaluna.
@gopunahou: Oh yeah. If Iolani had stayed in D2, they almost certainly would have played Lahainaluna for the state title, and would have won. I think Iolani would have beaten Lahainaluna on the strength of its pass game. But, well: Woulda, coulda, shoulda. This is all nothing but idle speculation, right?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

FWIW,

If the Open Division becomes a fixture in the state championships, Iolani will stay D-I until one of Kamehameha,Punahou,or St.Louis gets left out of the Playoffs enough years to upset coaches ,admins,parents,well,you name it because they all want to be Open even though there are only two slots available. Right now,the clock is ticking on Kamehameha because they declared for Open but finished behind the Big Two and had to sit out because their Open Division declaration meant they Could not play Last place Iolani for the ILH D-I playoff slot.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote:FWIW,

If the Open Division becomes a fixture in the state championships, Iolani will stay D-I until one of Kamehameha,Punahou,or St.Louis gets left out of the Playoffs enough years to upset coaches ,admins,parents,well,you name it because they all want to be Open even though there are only two slots available. Right now,the clock is ticking on Kamehameha because they declared for Open but finished behind the Big Two and had to sit out because their Open Division declaration meant they Could not play Last place Iolani for the ILH D-I playoff slot.
Let's hope so. I hope they don't cry that "we can't win in D1 so we'll play where we know we can win all of the time". They did rather well in D1 and had a lot of contributions from underclassmen. By the way, had the Open Division existed between 1997-2004, that would've been us, being that we fielded teams that almost could never compete against KSK and STL (and lost to Iolani several times). However, if we petitioned to play in D1 against teams that weren't Kahuku and St. Louis, everybody would've HATED it (being that we ARE Punahou). I wonder if everybody would hate it if Kamehameha (or God forbid, we) chose to play D1.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@unpaid: Well, Kamehameha has to hope to knock-off either Punahou or St Louis next year. I would think Punahou is the most vulnerable, as they had a veteran team this year, so a lot of their starters will be graduating, including QB Kapule. Kamehameha gets QB Yam back, and he's a pretty good passer. I don't know who else they'll have coming back.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:

Let's hope so. I hope they don't cry that "we can't win in D1 so we'll play where we know we can win all of the time". They did rather well in D1 and had a lot of contributions from underclassmen. By the way, had the Open Division existed between 1997-2004, that would've been us, being that we fielded teams that almost could never compete against KSK and STL (and lost to Iolani several times). However, if we petitioned to play in D1 against teams that weren't Kahuku and St. Louis, everybody would've HATED it (being that we ARE Punahou). I wonder if everybody would hate it if Kamehameha (or God forbid, we) chose to play D1.
@gopunahou: Yeah. Iolani showed they could either hang-tough with or beat some decent D1 teams: Kamehameha, Moanalua, and Campbell. And, they lost to Mililani by only 11 points, was it? That's not exactly a blowout; look at what Kahuku did to Kapolei. As for Kamehameha or Punahou declaring for the D1 state tourney, I don't think anyone would hate them; I think people would mock them.

giversgain
Starter
Starter

Post by giversgain »

Congratulations Lunas. Well deserved. And yes, I'll agree with Coach Tihada, thank you Iolani for not participating in this year's DII division.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

giversgain wrote:Congratulations Lunas. Well deserved. And yes, I'll agree with Coach Tihada, thank you Iolani for not participating in this year's DII division.
@giversgain: I think Iolani has established itself as a D1 football school as of this year; can't hide in D2 any more.