Screw the Super Conference

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Screw the Super Conference

Post by rrforlifebaby »

What's up guys! Getting Excited for Hawaii High School Football!!
AS I mentioned, put aside the OIA-ILH stuff.
What do you all think about the breaking up of Oahu into 4 conferences? IMHO, I honestly think it'll work much better than the current system and definitely makes way more sense than creating a super conference.

RRFL!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Not happening.

Your idea is going to put teams with widely different numbers of students to draw from into the same divisions like the days before the HHSAA split teams into D-I and D-II. Waialua and St.Louis in the same division .....naw,hell naw!
D-I and D-II has been one of the major reasons why Hawaii football has been improving. It is responsible for the teams with the best players to compete against teams with a similar amount of talent to hone their skills against each other week to week instead of padding results against small enrollment schools like Waialua ,Kalaheo,etc.

And the small enrollment schools benefit because they face similar sized schools and hone their skills week to week instead of getting mashed by bigger schools all the time.What does a VW Beetle learn trying to run head on into a Mac....yeah,VW loses.
And the Mac thinks,this is pretty easy...until they run into another Mac or something even bigger.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Fair enough. 2 divisions of 4 conferences. no ilh-oia.

westside.gee
High-quality H20 provider

Post by westside.gee »

One conference for all the D1 schools means that they will eliminate the lesser but still important divisional titles, no more OIA red/blue champion or OIA overall champ, no ILH champ. Only one team can win a trophy and the same 3 teams will be going after it every year St. Louis, Punahou and Kahuku. That makes the mountain that much higher (and impossible if you ask me) to climb for teams like Kapolei, Waianae, Farrington.

cmho808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by cmho808 »

The only excuse I see people using about why it's a bad idea is pride. If the kids' best interests are really considered, there would be an elite division. Isn't this how it works in college? Having an open division will better the state's talent as their playing at a high level every week. Who cares if it's all 3 ILH teams or all OIA teams? If they're the best that's it. And I don't get the excuse of ILH recruits and OIA teams can't compete…BS! How many kids left Kamehameha to go back to their home schools in the last few years? I don't think that's the problem.

People just need to get over themselves, let go of their over bloated egos, leave their "glory days" behind and think about what's best for the kids and what will bring the most exposure to the state.

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

cmho808 wrote:The only excuse I see people using about why it's a bad idea is pride. If the kids' best interests are really considered, there would be an elite division. Isn't this how it works in college? Having an open division will better the state's talent as their playing at a high level every week. Who cares if it's all 3 ILH teams or all OIA teams? If they're the best that's it. And I don't get the excuse of ILH recruits and OIA teams can't compete…BS! How many kids left Kamehameha to go back to their home schools in the last few years? I don't think that's the problem.

People just need to get over themselves, let go of their over bloated egos, leave their "glory days" behind and think about what's best for the kids and what will bring the most exposure to the state.
The ILH big 3 are the top 3 D1 schools in the state and therefore they are the elite division, end of story. Kahuku is the only OIA school that should join the ILH. All other D1 OIA schools are competing on a lesser level,maybe call them D2 and reclassify the current D2 into D3.

In college football the FBS schools (Schools offering full 85 scholarships) would be the ILH and FCS colleges (Only allowing 63 full scholarships) would be the OIA,
You dont see the FBS and FCS colleges competing against each other do we? reason being the difference in resources, FBS having the clear advantage.

In our current format Alabama, Michigan, Vanderbilt, Oregon are all recruiting Hawaii athletes, I dont see how much better a super conference will help our kids. The scholarships are made in the offseason, titles are made in the post season and the ILH is in a slump so they want to change that.

HaterOfElitists

Post by HaterOfElitists »

cmho808 wrote:The only excuse I see people using about why it's a bad idea is pride. If the kids' best interests are really considered, there would be an elite division. Isn't this how it works in college? Having an open division will better the state's talent as their playing at a high level every week. Who cares if it's all 3 ILH teams or all OIA teams? If they're the best that's it. And I don't get the excuse of ILH recruits and OIA teams can't compete…BS! How many kids left Kamehameha to go back to their home schools in the last few years? I don't think that's the problem.

FINALLY, a rational post.
gridiron22 wrote:

The ILH big 3 are the top 3 D1 schools in the state and therefore they are the elite division, end of story. Kahuku is the only OIA school that should join the ILH. All other D1 OIA schools are competing on a lesser level,maybe call them D2 and reclassify the current D2 into D3.

In college football the FBS schools (Schools offering full 85 scholarships) would be the ILH and FCS colleges (Only allowing 63 full scholarships) would be the OIA,
You dont see the FBS and FCS colleges competing against each other do we? reason being the difference in resources, FBS having the clear advantage.

In our current format Alabama, Michigan, Vanderbilt, Oregon are all recruiting Hawaii athletes, I dont see how much better a super conference will help our kids. The scholarships are made in the offseason, titles are made in the post season and the ILH is in a slump so they want to change that.
There you go again with the hypocrisy. I also wonder if bandits1 will attack cmho808 for disagreeing with gridiron22 and leaving a RATIONAL post.

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

Putting all that OIA and ILH crap aside. Am I the only one that would want to see weekly games like St. Louis v. Kapolei , Punahou v. Kahuku or Kamehameha v. Farrington??? After watching some scrimmages last week, I think we'd have some epic battles and great rivalries would be formed. it would be great football all the way around