A proper, FAIR, football state tournament

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: A proper, FAIR, football state tournament

Post by Getreal$ »

WhatEWA BEACH wrote:Markeke & Gridiron22,

The math/percentages actually should read:

15 teams in D1 OIA = 3 entries = 19% of the league represented
3 teams in MIL = 1 entry = 33% of the league represented
3 teams in BIIF = 1 entry = 33% of the league represented
4 teams in ILH = 1 entry = 25% of the league represented

At least that is what I remember from math classes during my public school education. :-)
Sorry but BIIF has four teams in DI and four in DII:
DI- Hilo, Kealakehe, Waiakea and Keaau

DII- KS-Hawaii, Konawaena, HPA, Honokaa

WhatEWA BEACH
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by WhatEWA BEACH »

Getreal$,

Then the actual numbers would read (using a calculator and not my fingers and toes):

15 teams in D1 OIA = 3 entries = 20% of the league represented
3 teams in MIL = 1 entry = 25% of the league represented
4 teams in BIIF = 1 entry = 33% of the league represented

Not that this would change anyone's opinions, but at least the %'s are correct.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

WhatEWA BEACH wrote:Getreal$,

Then the actual numbers would read (using a calculator and not my fingers and toes):

15 teams in D1 OIA = 3 entries = 20% of the league represented
3 teams in MIL = 1 entry = 25% of the league represented
4 teams in BIIF = 1 entry = 33% of the league represented

Not that this would change anyone's opinions, but at least the %'s are correct.
Wrong again. Get a new calculator.

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

The ILH only had three teams in D1 for over 12 years, Iolani played one season in D1 which was 2016 and they are trying their hardest to get back down to D2 because like the rest of the ILH they need to be in places that they have the upper hand.

So as it stands at this time (Iolani may drop down next year) the conferences with the most representation looks like this

3 teams in MIL = 1 entry = 33% of the league represented
4 teams in BIIF = 1 entry = 25% of the league represented
14 teams in D1 OIA = 3 entries = 21% of the league represented

*update: OIA has 14 teams (not 15) in D1

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

gridiron22 wrote:The ILH only had three teams in D1 for over 12 years, Iolani played one season in D1 which was 2016 and they are trying their hardest to get back down to D2 because like the rest of the ILH they need to be in places that they have the upper hand.
ILH trying to put it's D1 teams into a superdivision with the best the OIA has to offer.

"need to be in places that they have the UPPER HAND"?

Yeah, maybe you're right.

But, that "upper hand" has more to do with the quality of the schools, dontcha think? The moaning and groaning from the anti-ILH, anti-merger, anti-true competition faction in this State is, "The ILH takes our kids!" WRONG. The more accurate statement is, "Our kids want to go to the ILH."

So, the OIA resorts to de facto human trafficking control measures to keep public school kids and families in THEIR place. Severe penalties for wanting to leave. No other way to look at it.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

HaterOfElitists wrote:Instead of complaining about the ILH having multiple berths, why not have a state tournament that features strictly league champions?

BIIF=1 berth
MIL=1 berth
ILH=1 berth
OIA=1 berth

And for those of you that think this is unfair to the OIA, go play in traffic!
Can go for that except OIA will split into East ,West and Central league with 5 teams per league. 5 teams will still be a larger leagues then the ILH,MIL,BIIF. Then the States will look like this.

BIIF=1 berth
MIL=1
ILH=1
OIAw=1
OIAc=1
OIAe=1. Total of 6 berths. Plus all D1 schools will be represented equally and fair.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

@Markele I like that idea!

To add to that, I would breakdown the OIA like this:

OIA West: Waianae, Kapolei, Campbell, Waipahu, *Nanakuli
OIA Central: Mililani, Leilehua, Moanalua, Aiea, *Radford
OIA East: Kahuku, Farrington, Kailua, Castle, Kaiser

*Can drop to D2 and be replaced

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

Just curious: in the scenarios laid out above, if Pearl City decided to move back up to D1(where they belong, IMO, based on enrollment size), which of those three divisions would they go in? West with neighbor Waipahu, or Central with other-side neighbor Aiea?

westside.gee
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by westside.gee »

Markeke wrote: Can go for that except OIA will split into East ,West and Central league with 5 teams per league. 5 teams will still be a larger leagues then the ILH,MIL,BIIF. Then the States will look like this.

BIIF=1 berth
MIL=1
ILH=1
OIAw=1
OIAc=1
OIAe=1. Total of 6 berths. Plus all D1 schools will be represented equally and fair.

THIS

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

bandits1 wrote:Just curious: in the scenarios laid out above, if Pearl City decided to move back up to D1(where they belong, IMO, based on enrollment size), which of those three divisions would they go in? West with neighbor Waipahu, or Central with other-side neighbor Aiea?
That's why I had Nanakuli and Radford with asterisks. Which ever one stayed in D2, I would replace with Pearl City in that region. Id say Nanakuli stays in d2, so pearl city would join the west.

insidescoops
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by insidescoops »

Open league should be unveiled for regular season coming 2017 season..... Each league buying in to the Open div. + D1 + D2 format. There will most likely be 10 teams in Open Division, 7 OIA and 3 ILH. Postseason would be the same as 2016 tournament format.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

insidescoops wrote:There will most likely be 10 teams in Open Division, 7 OIA and 3 ILH. Postseason would be the same as 2016 tournament format.
7 OIA teams in Open? I count only a maximum of 5 that I'd guess would want to compete at that level year in and year out: Kahuku, Mililani, Waianae, Farrington and Kapolei. If Leilehua is anticipating a return to glory real soon, then that would be 6. That's it.

insidescoops
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by insidescoops »

bandits1 wrote:
insidescoops wrote:There will most likely be 10 teams in Open Division, 7 OIA and 3 ILH. Postseason would be the same as 2016 tournament format.
7 OIA teams in Open? I count only a maximum of 5 that I'd guess would want to compete at that level year in and year out: Kahuku, Mililani, Waianae, Farrington and Kapolei. If Leilehua is anticipating a return to glory real soon, then that would be 6. That's it.
It's to benefit ILH because they don't want to have to travel off-island or out-of-state to play more games in order to fill their schedule. As of now, ILH teams only play 4 regular season games and possibly one or two postseason games, which is about half the amount OIA plays. ILH teams gotta fill their schedule with nonleague games. It benefits OIA because it gives them a greater chance to beat out the ILH teams. But, top finishers make playoffs, so there could be all 3 ILH teams or none at all in the postseason, technically. Both are unlikely scenarios.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Dog 96707 wrote:I thought last season was the best chance to see an all OIA state championship in Div. 1 with mil and kahuku. But once again, that didn't happen......it was OIA #1 v. ILH #1. Bottom line is this, the vast majority of fans don't want to ever see an all ILH championship, but we are all waiting to see an all OIA one. The ILH thinks they should have another team in the tournament.......The OIA and everyone else would hate that, but would love to have a 4th or 5th OIA team in. Obviously, people will always have something to say about the format and teams that are in or out. I believe it won't change anytime soon, it is what it is...............bring back the old PREP BOWL!!!!!
@Dog 96707: I'm with you on bringing back the Prep Bowl. The outer-island schools say they want in on the action, but it also involves the tremendous expense of airfare and accommodations, not to mention the hassle of making-up missed schoolwork. Officially, the Prep Bowl determined the best team on Oahu, not the state. But, almost every year everyone knew that the best Oahu team was also the best in the state. But, so what? It was never official. People are going to think whatever they want anyway. The Prep Bowl was good enough for us from '73 to what, '99? I can't see why it can't be good enough again. It certainly would be good enough for me. As far as football is concerned, let each island do its own thing. That's how it was in the Prep Bowl days.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

twnoexcuses wrote:
gridiron22 wrote:The ILH only had three teams in D1 for over 12 years, Iolani played one season in D1 which was 2016 and they are trying their hardest to get back down to D2 because like the rest of the ILH they need to be in places that they have the upper hand.
ILH trying to put it's D1 teams into a superdivision with the best the OIA has to offer.

"need to be in places that they have the UPPER HAND"?

Yeah, maybe you're right.

But, that "upper hand" has more to do with the quality of the schools, dontcha think? The moaning and groaning from the anti-ILH, anti-merger, anti-true competition faction in this State is, "The ILH takes our kids!" WRONG. The more accurate statement is, "Our kids want to go to the ILH."

So, the OIA resorts to de facto human trafficking control measures to keep public school kids and families in THEIR place. Severe penalties for wanting to leave. No other way to look at it.
@twnoexcuses: Don't forget that private schools get to pick their kids; public schools don't. Perhaps that might have something to do with the quality disparity? Should we dump on the public schools for not doing as well with non-select kids?