Middle School/Youth Wrestling

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
MercadoCBIT
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Middle School/Youth Wrestling

Post by MercadoCBIT »

Aloha Sports Hawaii friends!

Please excuse my ignorance or if this is a redundant post/thread - I tried searching the forum and online for information regarding Middle School/Youth Wrestling in Hawaii and didn't come up with a whole lot of information. It did not appear that there is a dedicated wrestling league at the youth/middle school level - I was unable to determine if it's an AAU, USA Wrestling, or other type of wrestling federation. I also wasn't able to find many clubs or programs that had websites. My family and I are moving to Oahu next month and are looking for a wrestling team for my son. We will live near Honolulu and don't mind commuting if that's required. Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on Middle School programs on Oahu.

Some specific questions:

What are the various wrestling programs in the area (AAU, Police Leagues, Middle Schools, Clubs, etc)?
How do I distinguish between teams that are recreational vs. teams that are competitive?
Are there any year round wrestling programs?
Are there any programs or clubs that also teach & compete in freestyle/Greco Roman wrestling?
Do the different clubs/teams have different styles that are noteworthy?
Do the wrestlers get many opportunities to travel to the mainland for wrestling? Do mainland teams ever come to Hawaii to compete?
Are there ever any wrestling camp options in Hawaii that are offered or should I look to the mainland for summer wrestling, etc?

We are really looking forward to joining all of you and we are excited as can be for our upcoming move! Thanks so much for all your thoughts!

ProudDad
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: Middle School/Youth Wrestling

Post by ProudDad »

Hi. Depending on your son's age their are numerous clubs out there participating in either PAL or USA wrestling. PAL leagues focus on folk style of wrestling which is what the high school kids competes in. USA wrestling focuses on Freestyle and Greco. Check your pm box... Aloha