Adult Wrestling League

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Adult Wrestling League

Post by talloola25 »

I have a couple of coaches that moved here recently that are asking if there were any adult wrestling clubs. I'm just putting this out there to see if there is any interest in putting together an adult wrestling league with clubs that compete against each other. We could go with collegiate weights or international weights. It would be cool to be able to have our grade school/high school age wrestlers get to attend adult level duals. Let me know if there is any interest.

_sportcourt
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Adult Wrestling League

Post by _sportcourt »

talloola25 wrote:I have a couple of coaches that moved here recently that are asking if there were any adult wrestling clubs. I'm just putting this out there to see if there is any interest in putting together an adult wrestling league with clubs that compete against each other. We could go with collegiate weights or international weights. It would be cool to be able to have our grade school/high school age wrestlers get to attend adult level duals. Let me know if there is any interest.
Coaches Got to know when to let it go....

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

_sportcourt wrote:
talloola25 wrote:I have a couple of coaches that moved here recently that are asking if there were any adult wrestling clubs. I'm just putting this out there to see if there is any interest in putting together an adult wrestling league with clubs that compete against each other. We could go with collegiate weights or international weights. It would be cool to be able to have our grade school/high school age wrestlers get to attend adult level duals. Let me know if there is any interest.
Completely agree, but this is a coach that is a young assistant that loves to wrestle and wants to help others have the same opportunity. We have post high school Judo in the state, why not wrestling? There are plenty of high school grads that loved the sport but either could not make it at the next level or simply decided not to leave. Should they "let it go"? Why not try to give opportunities to those who want it? Why not just have a place for guys to work out that don't simply want to sling iron or go into MMA?

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

talloola25 wrote:
_sportcourt wrote:
Completely agree, but this is a coach that is a young assistant that loves to wrestle and wants to help others have the same opportunity. We have post high school Judo in the state, why not wrestling? There are plenty of high school grads that loved the sport but either could not make it at the next level or simply decided not to leave. Should they "let it go"? Why not try to give opportunities to those who want it? Why not just have a place for guys to work out that don't simply want to sling iron or go into MMA?
Somehow, I gotta think that for the vast, vast majority of high school wrestlers, the end of their wrestling careers starts a period of thinking, "I'm glad it's over. Been there, done that. I'm proud I survived, and I'll coach and roll around on the mat occasionally, but I'm gonna eat, cruise, walk around without pain, and towel myself off from my shower without inspecting every inch of my body."

Having been a part of and watched several age groups of wrestlers move through youth, high school and college wrestling over the years, I still have a hard time wrapping my head around what a wrestler goes through (especially now days) just in order to be able to survive a 6 - 7 minute + match without passing out from exhaustion at some point, much less to be at the top of things.

Plus, for true wrestling played by the rules, there's no girls in bikinis ringing the mat, no glory in knock out blows, and no fear is stirred by fellow patrons at a bar. Impromptu "wrestling matches" at a local park would never make it onto Youtube. To get that kind of recognition, you gotta know how to puch, choke, kick, and force submission based on infliction of pain. Not merely achive superior position and control. Remember, the biggest cheers at this year's States came from unknowledgeable and even knowledgable attendees cheering hard mat returns (that was somewhat disappointing when the knowledgable got caught up in or were thirsty for an MMA type of aspect, and indicative of where the sport is going).

Participation in community league adult wrestling with an eye toward being really good would at best be the sports world equivalent of sitting in a corner and meditating in order to achieve buddhist nirvana. You'd have to do it because of some sort of love of the sport, and internal drive to endure immense sacrifice and achieve a mystic, hard to define sense of accomplishment.

Not many are motivated that way.

Even most of our most ardent adult wrestling enthusiasts (coaches) will only do/risk a practice round occasionally with the kids. And you can't blame them, with work, family, life they also have to and want to deal with. The ones that go toe to toe through a whole practice (the conditioning, the drilling, and the live) are admirable but really rare.

The perks that jiu jitsu and MMA tack on as rewards to the type of hard work wrestling requires make those sports far more attractive to anyone inclined to do the same type of work. I think it's only a matter of time before one of those two formats replaces boxing, judo and/or wrestling in the Olympics (because our world society is just THAT messed up).

Thank goodness traditional wrestling exists at the youth, high school and college levels for all the things it teaches and instills. But, trying to make it a casual but competitive "adult" activity in Hawaii is probably, no IS, a complete waste of time.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

talloola25 wrote:
_sportcourt wrote:
Somehow, I gotta think that for the vast, vast majority of high school wrestlers, the end of their wrestling careers starts a period of thinking, "I'm glad it's over. Been there, done that. I'm proud I survived, and I'll coach and roll around on the mat occasionally, but I'm gonna eat, cruise, walk around without pain, and towel myself off from my shower without inspecting every inch of my body."

Having been a part of and watched several age groups of wrestlers move through youth, high school and college wrestling over the years, I still have a hard time wrapping my head around what a wrestler goes through (especially now days) just in order to be able to survive a 6 - 7 minute + match without passing out from exhaustion at some point, much less to be at the top of things.

Plus, for true wrestling played by the rules, there's no girls in bikinis ringing the mat, no glory in knock out blows, and no fear is stirred by fellow patrons at a bar. Impromptu "wrestling matches" at a local park would never make it onto Youtube. To get that kind of recognition, you gotta know how to puch, choke, kick, and force submission based on infliction of pain. Not merely achive superior position and control. Remember, the biggest cheers at this year's States came from unknowledgeable and even knowledgable attendees cheering hard mat returns (that was somewhat disappointing when the knowledgable got caught up in or were thirsty for an MMA type of aspect, and indicative of where the sport is going).

Participation in community league adult wrestling with an eye toward being really good would at best be the sports world equivalent of sitting in a corner and meditating in order to achieve buddhist nirvana. You'd have to do it because of some sort of love of the sport, and internal drive to endure immense sacrifice and achieve a mystic, hard to define sense of accomplishment.

Not many are motivated that way.

Even most of our most ardent adult wrestling enthusiasts (coaches) will only do/risk a practice round occasionally with the kids. And you can't blame them, with work, family, life they also have to and want to deal with. The ones that go toe to toe through a whole practice (the conditioning, the drilling, and the live) are admirable but really rare.

The perks that jiu jitsu and MMA tack on as rewards to the type of hard work wrestling requires make those sports far more attractive to anyone inclined to do the same type of work. I think it's only a matter of time before one of those two formats replaces boxing, judo and/or wrestling in the Olympics (because our world society is just THAT messed up).

Thank goodness traditional wrestling exists at the youth, high school and college levels for all the things it teaches and instills. But, trying to make it a casual but competitive "adult" activity in Hawaii is probably, no IS, a complete waste of time.

statefarmjake808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by statefarmjake808 »

twnoexcuses wrote:
talloola25 wrote:
_sportcourt wrote:
Remember, the biggest cheers at this year's States came from unknowledgeable and even knowledgable attendees cheering hard mat returns (that was somewhat disappointing when the knowledgable got caught up in or were thirsty for an MMA type of aspect, and indicative of where the sport is going).
I guess you're a baseball purist who's the reason why baseball is a dying sport and not a thriving football progressive...

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Les Keiter used to challenge much younger guys at Nuuanu Y to wrestle him back in the day. Seemed weird at that time.

kauwildman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kauwildman »

I get sore enough just coaching.