An ILH-OIA merger

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: An ILH-OIA merger

Post by harus0ra »

huki-lau-lau wrote:first they complain kahuk get easy road in oia east so change blue red division now thay complain oia to easy, i swear this is set to stop kauku
ilh big 3 will roll thru all oia teams but no one will complain cause the whole state is against kahu and will be happy to make harder for big red in hope to see a town team win championship

everytime u try to kick kahuku u kick us up the stairs not down the stairs
No guy it's not all about kahuku but a challenge to both the oia and ilh. This merger will bring out the best in each team and to show who is really the best in the state. Can't wait!

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

no maybe not about kahu but yes it bcuz of kahu

u gotto admit if kahu no win 8 titles an oia only got 2 title from leilhua2004 n mililani2014 then all is well in ilh universe this super conf no happen
-------------------

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

Bishop Gorman plays a lackluster league schedule. They rarely get tested from a state opponent on their way to the state title every year. Nobody is running into meetings to change the landscape of their leagues because Gorman is blowing teams out. Other teams simply gun for them every year and give it their best shot. Gorman simply schedules Bye weeks against top notch competition around the nation to make their season worth while. Point being, if the ILH is not satisfied with their league dynamics and competition, don't lure the rest of the state to change with a 3 million dollar hook. Go blow your money on traveling to play good teams on the mainland.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

University Ave wrote:Bishop Gorman plays a lackluster league schedule. They rarely get tested from a state opponent on their way to the state title every year. Nobody is running into meetings to change the landscape of their leagues because Gorman is blowing teams out. Other teams simply gun for them every year and give it their best shot. Gorman simply schedules Bye weeks against top notch competition around the nation to make their season worth while. Point being, if the ILH is not satisfied with their league dynamics and competition, don't lure the rest of the state to change with a 3 million dollar hook. Go blow your money on traveling to play good teams on the mainland.
Actually, there were rumblings in the past about not allowing BG to participate in Nevada's state tournament. Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed. Like St Louis forced the rest of Hawaii to man up, BG is doing the same thing for Nevada high school football.

In addition, from a totally biased perspective, I agree with huki-lau-lau. I think this is a slight of hand to level the playing field with Big Red on the gridiron; BUT, not matter, Big Red just going to keep pounding away. Right now, Big Red is averaging a state championship every other year. If the super conference levels the playing field to the point where we still winning once every 2 - 3 years, it's all good.

Looking forward to this coming season.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

I think it would be great!!!! It would bring more people out to watch, week after week. The competition and match ups would be better. Plus, I read somewhere (maybe Hawaii prep world) that each school will get $35,000 from a pot of 3 million that has been set aside specifically for this merger to take place. Not sure where that $$$ came from. LOL!!! In any case, I don't think any school will turn down an extra 35K.........When will the OIA schools vote???? I know the ILH already voted.
I really hope it happens this season.

HaterOfElitists

Post by HaterOfElitists »

Any OIA homer who is vehemently against this is a crybaby that's been playing the victim too often. I doubt the kids at OIA schools are against this. Why impede progress because of hostile feelings toward the ILH? And if this thing DOES go through, will Iolani kick and scream to play at the lowest division?

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

HaterOfElitists wrote:Any OIA homer who is vehemently against this is a crybaby that's been playing the victim too often. I doubt the kids at OIA schools are against this. Why impede progress because of hostile feelings toward the ILH? And if this thing DOES go through, will Iolani kick and scream to play at the lowest division?
The longer this draws out, the more you get the feeling that the OIA is thinking up and looking to impose more mechanisms to execute punishments on the children of those parents who would dare to have their child leave a school for other pastures.

The additional disturbing feeling is that the ILH might capitulate to whatever and whenever the OIA comes up with, just to get a few games.

At a certain point, and sooner than later, you hope the ILH would get a conscience about the fortunes and futures of the Hawaii youth they also serve, and simply say "no" to a system that would restrict families and students from seeking their choice of education without restraint or penalty. That they would recognize and prioritize the educational imperatives and make them wholly available BEFORE capitulating to narrow minded interests of the jealous jocks of the OIA.

Certainly there is plenty, plenty of guilt for twisted perspective to be spread around to all who deserve it, with a good portion to be laid upon the few parents and kids who are perceived as abusing the system (as opposed those runts those moving for legitimate educational concerns, yet who might get caught within the fences designed to confine the blue ribbon livestock).

Make two colums in your mind. In column A, put all the football players who end up receiving college scholarships to play college football. In column B, put all the OTHER high school football players who are playing sports as an extra-curricular activity (by design or by circumstance because they will never qualify for a college scholarship). Which column has more names? By how much? The students in column B are being pretty brutally penalized over the dreams, aspirations and irritations caused to adults by and because of those few players in column A.

Just let them go to the school they want to, let them play, and quit being so small minded.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

Mom: "Son, you got into Kamehameha, finally!"

Son: "Finally. . . So, when does football practice start?"

Mom: "Uhhhhh. . . Son, you can't play football for Kamehameha."

Son: "Why?"

Mom: "In order for you to go to Kamehameha, you have to sit out from football. Because you played this year at Nanakuli."

Son: "WHY, Mom? I wanna play football!"

Mom: "Look, going to Kamehameha is more important, Son. You're the first in our family. Hopefully your little brothers and sisters can follow you there. And your kids. And their kids. . . . "

Son: "But MOM! I did good last year in football. I played in almost every game. I can play. Even if I don't start!"

Mom: "I know Son, it's not about you starting or being good enough. It's a rule. Plus, football isn't going to pay your bills. You're a 5'7" lineman."

Son: "But Mom, if I don't play next year, my junior year, I might not be able to make the team my Sr. year. . . "

Mom: "Well, actually, you won't be able to play your senior year anyway. You'd have to stop playing football."

Son: "WHY???"

Mom: "Because you can't play football for two years once you start Kamehameha. Because you played at Nanakuli this year. Let's look at what else you could do in the fall. . . LOOK! You could run cross country, do bowling, or air riflery, or be on the cheerleading squad. Unfortunately, girl's volleyball is out.

Son: "I don't want to go to Kamehameha. It's not worth it."

Mom: "Son, you have to. We've been trying your whole life to get you in there. You HAVE TO!

Son: "No."

Can you imagine that conversation and others like it? WHY must conversations like that take place????

bow89
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bow89 »

There is only one reason for the merger. Contrary to those who think it is for the purpose of getting more ILH teams into the State tournament or to keep Kahuku down, the only reason for the ILH to want to merge is for scheduling purposes. Having a three team league with Kamehameha, Punahou and Saint Louis does not provide for a complete schedule if Iolani plays DII. Likewise the current system hurts Damien, Pac 5 and St. Francis. Not all of the ILH schools have tons of money to travel back and forth from the mainland on a consistent basis.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

The ILH has approved a football merger plan. The ball is now in the OIA's court and now it's crickets...if you believe the SA , and I do not have a reason to doubt the paper,then OIA officials are now unavailable on the subject of mergers,and the one guy named who did respond to the SA seemed to say that nothing about a merger was on the table concerning an OIA-ILH football merger for 2016.Not looking good for the open division.

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

bow89 wrote:There is only one reason for the merger. Contrary to those who think it is for the purpose of getting more ILH teams into the State tournament or to keep Kahuku down, the only reason for the ILH to want to merge is for scheduling purposes. Having a three team league with Kamehameha, Punahou and Saint Louis does not provide for a complete schedule if Iolani plays DII. Likewise the current system hurts Damien, Pac 5 and St. Francis. Not all of the ILH schools have tons of money to travel back and forth from the mainland on a consistent basis.
I see no shortage of ILH football players getting D1 scholarships or making it to the NFL due to their regular season scheduling. As a matter of fact in the past five years the ILH has produced the greatest Hawaii football athletes ever in Mariota/Teo/Buckner.

Scheduling is just a smoke screen and a smaller part of a bigger issue, the main reason for the merger is money. period. Im not talking Punahou/Kam or Iolani money, those three schools are fine. Ill go out on a limb and say the driving force is St. Louis money. Weren't they in the talks of shutting their school down just a few years ago?

The internet has allowed OIA football to gain in popularity. Popularity=Money, not necessarily money that the OIA is making but Money that the ILH is losing let me explain.

Rex Manu (former Punahou) Vai Melepeia (former St. Louis) have laid out the blueprint that you no longer need to go to the ILH to gain a scholarship or win a state championship. Kahuku is also adding to that myth by winning multiple titles. This affects the enrollment of football athletes into the ILH and for a private school like St. Louis that rely heavily on their reputation as football kings its a big blow the their bottom line.

This merger is a move to reclaim popularity in favor of the ILH and popularity = money

You make your bed you need to lay in it too

rednblue
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by rednblue »

gridiron22 wrote:
bow89 wrote:There is only one reason for the merger. Contrary to those who think it is for the purpose of getting more ILH teams into the State tournament or to keep Kahuku down, the only reason for the ILH to want to merge is for scheduling purposes. Having a three team league with Kamehameha, Punahou and Saint Louis does not provide for a complete schedule if Iolani plays DII. Likewise the current system hurts Damien, Pac 5 and St. Francis. Not all of the ILH schools have tons of money to travel back and forth from the mainland on a consistent basis.
I see no shortage of ILH football players getting D1 scholarships or making it to the NFL due to their regular season scheduling. As a matter of fact in the past five years the ILH has produced the greatest Hawaii football athletes ever in Mariota/Teo/Buckner.

Scheduling is just a smoke screen and a smaller part of a bigger issue, the main reason for the merger is money. period. Im not talking Punahou/Kam or Iolani money, those three schools are fine. Ill go out on a limb and say the driving force is St. Louis money. Weren't they in the talks of shutting their school down just a few years ago?

The internet has allowed OIA football to gain in popularity. Popularity=Money, not necessarily money that the OIA is making but Money that the ILH is losing let me explain.

Rex Manu (former Punahou) Vai Melepeia (former St. Louis) have laid out the blueprint that you no longer need to go to the ILH to gain a scholarship or win a state championship. Kahuku is also adding to that myth by winning multiple titles. This affects the enrollment of football athletes into the ILH and for a private school like St. Louis that rely heavily on their reputation as football kings its a big blow the their bottom line.

This merger is a move to reclaim popularity in favor of the ILH and popularity = money

You make your bed you need to lay in it too
Damn Rex Manu, Vae Malepeai, and the Internet for ruining the football based student body of St. Louis so much that they need this deal to keep the school funded from closing! It all makes sense now... :fart:

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sp ... int-louis/

just another example of St. Louis resources at work doing all they can to be the football factory of Hawaii. You do know that this camp has an underlying motive for the crusaders to discover and possibly recruit the local youth talent that walk through its doors right! More power to St. Louis for being pro-active and providing a greater avenue for our talented football players to reach their dreams of playing in college/NFL
I am all for these types of camps but what I am against is merging the OIA and ILH conferences as if both leagues are equal in resources/ staffing/ facilities/ student body etc...They are not and they should not share the same regular season schedules.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

There is an interesting article regarding the superconference written by Kevin Jakahi of the Hawaii Tribune Herald today.
Looks like there will not be a superconference this year. If there is no movement at the HIADA meetings,then I would have to believe the OIA is not interested in a superconference. I don't know that the ILH is going to offer any more concessions than the ones offered in the proposal that the OIA already voted down last winter.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

unpaid wrote:There is an interesting article regarding the superconference written by Kevin Jakahi of the Hawaii Tribune Herald today.
Looks like there will not be a superconference this year. If there is no movement at the HIADA meetings,then I would have to believe the OIA is not interested in a superconference. I don't know that the ILH is going to offer any more concessions than the ones offered in the proposal that the OIA already voted down last winter.

Good. The ILH should do away with all competition restrictions for transfers for next year and just open the floodgates. Take all comers and let them play. They're children. Let them play.