2016 Judo season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Cyber Ninja808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

2016 Judo season

Post by Cyber Ninja808 »

The 2016 judo season is underway with the Mililani invitational being played last weekend. I saw a lot of great individual matches and a few upsets. Pearl City boys upset the state champions in Kapolei, who by the looks of it had their full squad minus one of the twins. On the girls side Roosevelt looks tough and beat Pearl City in the finals. What do you guys think about the new rules and your thought on the tournament?

Judoyoda
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2016 Judo season

Post by Judoyoda »

Boys Top 5
1 Kapolei
2 Iolani
3 Pearl City
4 Punahou
5 Mililani

Girls Top 5
1 Roosevelt
2 Pearl City
3 Punahou
4 Kamehameha
5 Moanalua

What do you guys think?

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

What are the rule changes?

ringworm
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ringworm »

Cyber Ninja808 wrote:The 2016 judo season is underway with the Mililani invitational being played last weekend. I saw a lot of great individual matches and a few upsets. Pearl City boys upset the state champions in Kapolei, who by the looks of it had their full squad minus one of the twins. On the girls side Roosevelt looks tough and beat Pearl City in the finals. What do you guys think about the new rules and your thought on the tournament?
Pearl city boys came back needing to win the last 3 matches by ippon and did it.

Roosevelt girls did a good job but the score does not reflect how close it was. Out of the 3 ippons on Roosevelts side (30 points) 1 was a blanked weight class and the other 2 was against 2 green first years. One state champ lost her match another state runner up lost her match and and another champ filled a blank spot. Roosevelt lost the last 3 matches but did a good job and held all 3 matches to 3 point shidos. It could have been different depending on the day. Pearl city actually won 5 matches vs 4 for Roosevelt.

Rule change for double knee is good if it helps prevent injuries most guys getting hurt probably don't have the ability to take falls properly and the guy throwing doesn't have proper technique either. For the seasoned players that have clean techniques it's not right.

wrestlingfan_808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by wrestlingfan_808 »

ringworm wrote:
Cyber Ninja808 wrote:The 2016 judo season is underway with the Mililani invitational being played last weekend. I saw a lot of great individual matches and a few upsets. Pearl City boys upset the state champions in Kapolei, who by the looks of it had their full squad minus one of the twins. On the girls side Roosevelt looks tough and beat Pearl City in the finals. What do you guys think about the new rules and your thought on the tournament?
Pearl city boys came back needing to win the last 3 matches by ippon and did it.

Roosevelt girls did a good job but the score does not reflect how close it was. Out of the 3 ippons on Roosevelts side (30 points) 1 was a blanked weight class and the other 2 was against 2 green first years. One state champ lost her match another state runner up lost her match and and another champ filled a blank spot. Roosevelt lost the last 3 matches but did a good job and held all 3 matches to 3 point shidos. It could have been different depending on the day. Pearl city actually won 5 matches vs 4 for Roosevelt.

Rule change for double knee is good if it helps prevent injuries most guys getting hurt probably don't have the ability to take falls properly and the guy throwing doesn't have proper technique either. For the seasoned players that have clean techniques it's not right.
I believe most of the Roosevelt girls bumped up weights; I guess they had to fill their lineup. It would be interesting to see how things would play out if they match up against PC at their true weights. Nevertheless, props to all the judoka for bringing it! Especially the ones that just came out of a looong wrestling season

ringworm
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ringworm »

Novice/Open tournament today 1030 am at Aiea.

ProudDad
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by ProudDad »

It was nice seeing a lot of wrestlers doing Judo as well. Nice size turnout. Not sure how good Moanalua boys team is gonna be but their girls look impressive. Seems like they have a full lineup that could contend. Kapolei had some good boys competing and Pearl City's Cooper looks dominant. Should be a fun year

ringworm
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ringworm »

Tournament was pretty good looked like a lot of starters sat out. To bad it's the only tournament to host all of OIA league besides OIA individual championship. Judo should take some pointers from this season's wrestling schedule. I like the round robin format the wrestlers did. Team duals is exciting but in judo but we'll see a lot of forfeits and players moving all around. I'd like to see some preseason action like wrestling too. Why can't they have at least 1 all island tournament at the beginning? Just 3 weeks of duals then it's all championship rounds for OIA league. I know they can do better. Any coach's care to comment on this?

ringworm
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ringworm »

Kapolei girls took down Pearl City and the boys avenged their loss to Pearl City.

Opihiman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Opihiman »

Would be nice to know who are the stud players for each school. I think States is always a surprise since Judo does not require weight certification and does not limit how much a player can cut for the league championship and states. I would think as far as placing in States and being the best dual team are two different animals. How many returning state placers does Kapolei have? I would think if they haven't graduated anyone that they would be favored again.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

Opihiman wrote:Would be nice to know who are the stud players for each school. I think States is always a surprise since Judo does not require weight certification and does not limit how much a player can cut for the league championship and states. I would think as far as placing in States and being the best dual team are two different animals. How many returning state placers does Kapolei have? I would think if they haven't graduated anyone that they would be favored again.
With only 10 weight classes the boy's favorite probably is definitely Kapolei as the favorite. They return 3 state Champs, 2 runner ups, and one other placer. Pretty ridiculous amount of returners. The girls don't return but one placer. They have a lot of wrestlers on the team that seem to be transitioning well to Judo though. It might be interesting with them this year.

Cyber Ninja808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Cyber Ninja808 »

Team Championships are this weekend. By far the most entertaining tournament of the year. Only one team has beaten Kapolei in the last 3 years and it looks like they are destined to meet again on the boys side. On the girls side I like Roosevelt and Pearl City. My picks are both of the returning state champions.

What are your picks?

Opihiman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Opihiman »

Cyber Ninja808 wrote:Team Championships are this weekend. By far the most entertaining tournament of the year. Only one team has beaten Kapolei in the last 3 years and it looks like they are destined to meet again on the boys side. On the girls side I like Roosevelt and Pearl City. My picks are both of the returning state champions.

What are your picks?
Sounds good, where and when is the tournament?

Who are the key matchups and at what weight classes?

ringworm
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ringworm »

East and Western championship this weekend...

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

Wasn't able to make the tournaments yesterday. How did it go? I saw the results on HWP, but a couple are strange. 121 boys had Pagurayan 3rd? Who did he lose to? It also has no one getting 2nd. What happened at that weight?
Results: http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/wp-conte ... ESULTS.pdf