2016 Judo season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
stonecoldstunner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2016 Judo season

Post by stonecoldstunner »

Ramashack wrote:these are the facts:

Girls Finals Matches (10 total): 6 - Ippon; 2 - Wazaari; 0 - yuko; 2 - shido
Boys Finals Matches (10 total): 7 - Ippon; 3 - Wazaari; 0 - yuko; 0 - shido

So out of 20 matches there were 2 decided by Shido? It is part of the scoring system....it always has been in various fashions.
What about the 13 decided by Ippon or the 5 more decided by Wazaari?
18 of 20 finals matches decided by significant scores.

Both players own responsibility if the match comes down to a shido call. Each had 4 minutes, sometime more, to throw.
Agreed that it should never be left for the referees to decide the match whether by shido or flags. It is up to the players to play, but one playing in earnest and one dodging makes for an ugly match. That is the final round of 20 matches, but how many were decided by shido leading up to the final round? And it is interesting to look at how players advance through the tournament, round by round. It gives you a snapshot of what happened in the tournament and who played what "style" of judo.

In any case, it is what it is. If it continues on as is, the quality of judo in the state will continue to decline and the enrollment in high school judo will probably drop along with it. Hopefully those who are making the decisions can see that they are pushing the sport into perilous waters and make a concerted effort to bring some of the art back into the sport.

from the stands
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by from the stands »

stonecoldstunner wrote:
Ramashack wrote:these are the facts:
If it continues on as is, the quality of judo in the state will continue to decline and the enrollment in high school judo will probably drop along with it. Hopefully those who are making the decisions can see that they are pushing the sport into perilous waters and make a concerted effort to bring some of the art back into the sport.
Although I agree with you on the desire to have more of the ART in the SPORT, I keep reminding myself that everyone has a different definition or picture of what their personal Judo is or looks like.
Very similar to people and their chosen religion. Its often a losing battle to try and argue with someone about their chosen religion. Even when claiming the same religion, different people have different applications.

How do you argue with someone who clearly feels that simply winning is the goal? That making their way thru the brackets is all that counts? You going to say No...that he/she should be winning the way you think they should be winning? Or their win doesn't count because you thought it really wasn't Judo or simply ugly? When it comes to tournament time, even the most old-school of coaches or Sensei will take a win when the clock is running out. If you don't teach your players match management (ways to kill the clock to get the win) your doing them a disservice.

There are State Champs who win by Ippon....their method may be closer to wrestling than it is throwing. Is that wrong?

I think we are going to have to live with the idea that everyone is free to do their JUDO the way they want to. If a competitor wants to hold themselves to a higher standard please do....there are fans who do appreciate it.

stonecoldstunner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by stonecoldstunner »

Point taken. This could be debated forever and still nothing would be accomplished. As it is with religion. Or politics.

And yes, winning does count for something and it is not necessarily about the perceived "quality" of the win. My idea of a quality win is mine alone, as is anyone else's and they are entitled to it. A win is a win is a win in the record books and in 5 years, not many will remember who won in what way.

Like you, I hope there are some young judoka who willl hold themselves to a higher standard and bring back some of that old school mentality.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

I am a real dinosaur. In my day, the scoring was koka-yuko-wazaari-ippon and penalties were shido-chui-keikoku-hansoku make. There also seemed to be cleaner ippon throws, and the newaza included presses and chokes (arm bars at the national level).

I saw the 100 kg+ class competition from the All Japan Judo Championship that was shown on NGN this past weekend. Same scoring. Not much newaza like the old days, but as intense as ever.

As for "beautiful judo" versus "winning judo", I tend to be on the side of winning judo though. That kind of debate is kinda like when Konishiki poo-pooed those sumotori who employed the henka (sidestep at tachiai) against a larger opponent as "unmanly." Although purists don;t like it, it's legitimate and Yokozuna Hakuho has used it.