Kahuku vs. Bishop Gorman September 17, 2016

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Re: Kahuku vs. Bishop Gorman September 17, 2016

Post by gridiron22 »

kanakattack wrote:You said "Kahuku is a true public school with 100% homegrown talent"

Everyone knows Kahuku pulls kids from all over. Make sure you are counting the "homegrown" talent from Samoa, Tonga, Utah, Maui, etc. lol
Lets not worship OC16 and Felipe Ojastro too much.
Ameperosa kid from Laie moved to Samoa and back last year didnt even play in the last two games he was third string and a non factor. Kahuku doesnt rely on transfers to win games like Mililani, St. Louis, Punahou, Bishop Gorman, De La Salle, Long Beach etc... They are 99% homegrown the other 1% lived there when they were little kids or are alumni kids.

There might be five kids in the last 15 years that transfered to Kahuku out of the blue, one of them was the kicker from Florida back in 2008, can you name me four more? Keep in mind that every year Kahuku has at least five homegrown kids playing at ILH schools, thats 75 Kahuku kids in the past 15 years that help the ILH beat public schools.

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

bigD wrote:
Markeke wrote:
bigD wrote:Brah!! Bishop is a monster and on a different level.. Stupid decision in my opinion, so many teams they could compete against so why them??
Why not? Who did Kahuku play last year? Right,nobody.
Nobody because they clearly had no coach!! you need a year in advance to schedule. Maybe they should focus on revenge games against east high (utah) or Long beach (cal) ?? thats a good start..
I think he was being sarcastic and St. Louis, Mililani, Waianae, Farrington was on the list of "nobodys" that Kahuku played last year. If you followed the games on OC16 this past season the announcers kept saying that the red division that Kahuku was in was weak, all the way up to the state title game Kahuku did not play "anyone".

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

What are considered "homegrown" kids for private schools?? I know stl had outer island kids, I guess that would be considered "not homegrown", because they are not from 'oahu. but private schools don't have a district to pull from, if a kid comes from Waianae, Kapolei or kahuku that's all good, they wouldn't have students if they didn't pull from all over the island. I believe that kam even has dorms where students from other islands that attend their school live. Now, if you talking about transferring from one hs to another to play sports.....I know stl had iosefa and slade transfer in, but I don't know of any transfers at schools like pun, kam and iolani. And before this new rule started this past year, i know tons of kids that moved all around the oia to play ball. Now, hopefully the new rule stops this from happening. But I'm sure certain schools will still find ways of getting around it.

redraidersole61
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by redraidersole61 »

RR4L! Love the challenge we have ahead of us. I see a lot of negativity on the subject matter but here's a view from a Red Raider...we consider it a great opportunity to play one of the best programs in the country. The USA Today #1 Team in the country is Katy, Texas. Bishop Gorman is truly a great program and what a great opportunity for our communities to see the good each program has to offer. I'm sure Bishop Gorman has a following but it may surprise them of the loyalty and following Kahuku High will bring. We'll see the wonderful advantages of having resources that money can provide and perhaps they'll see the invaluable spirit of community that's is the north shore. In the end, the exposure for our boys and the current coaching staff to show what we're about will be reward enough. The best thing about this game will be that it is played on the field and all the talk won't affect the outcome. Besides, what will winning another state title add to the lore that is Kahuku Football within the state?

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

harus0ra wrote:
kanakattack wrote:You said "Kahuku is a true public school with 100% homegrown talent"

Everyone knows Kahuku pulls kids from all over. Make sure you are counting the "homegrown" talent from Samoa, Tonga, Utah, Maui, etc. lol

what is homegrown then? Natives? I've seen these kids play from big boys time and if ever they come from else where could also be family returning back home. Anyways if Kahuku not 100% homegrown then there 99% homegrown.
Dog 96707 wrote:That might be opening the flood gates for Gorman to start pulling some more kids from the islands. I know that they got 2 kids on the squad now. I believe Isaia(OL) from iolani will be on the team next season. I heard they are looking at 2 kids from kahuku and 1 that's at stl. I heard its the maiava boy from kahuku and faoa from stl. not sure who the other kahuku kid is. I guess it is what it is, good luck to the red raiders. hopefully they can pull off the win.
For next year's squad, Bishop Gorman will have at least 3 probable Hawaii starters ('17 DL Haskell Garrett - Saint Louis School; '18 LB Palaie Gaoteote - Mililani HS; '18 OL/DL Jacob Isaia - Iolani School) on their roster.
Last edited by kapakahi on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aitorahi
MLB: Washington Nationals
NBA: OKC Thunder
NFL: SF Niners

Post by Aitorahi »

Great opportunity for Kahuku football. I am sure there will be many college scouts there, as well as hundreds and hundreds of Kahuku alumni in So Cal, Vegas, and Utah. I believe they will represent Hawaii well. This is not a rebuilding year, like when we played East in 2013.

rednblue
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by rednblue »

I think whenever a team has a chance to play against the best, you can't turn it down. Props to Kahuku for taking this challenge and creating motivation to push themselves to compete against the best. I know it's going to be a huge uphill battle playing the reigning top team in the country returning third year starter QB Tate Martell (5* Texas AM commit) and Tyjon Linsdey (5* WR) along with a bevy of national talent all over their roster. But what more can you expect from a Kahuku community and team that doesn't back down from anyone. Looking forward into next season, thats the game that Kahuku will improve the most from and will be very beneficial come oia/states. I know we fear for a lopsided outcome, but the experience is priceless.

Good luck Red Raiders... when you play Bishop Gorman- Hawaii will be rooting for you.

HowzitBrah
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HowzitBrah »

bigD wrote:
HowzitBrah wrote:Kahuku will have a passing game this upcoming season! I think the Renaud kid got better during the season although he didn't get a lot of snaps... They also have a kid coming up from the JR Prep that can start as a freshman and he is as good as advertised! If they move him up straight to Varsity... His name is Sol-Jay Maiava! Kid is legit and I'm hearing he has been getting offers to attend the Punahous n St. Louis of the worlds... Even some mainland schools... Kid is that good! Also played in the past FBU national Championship Tourney and Team Vegas who have a number of kids headed to BG had no answer for the kid! People on the Jr Prep level are well aware of him and word out on the north shore is that if he goes to Kahuku, they could have a freshman starting at QB if he beats the others out... A very talented kid also!
Very talented kid indeed but your talking about a freshmen with no experience at the high school level. Gorman has D1 athletes at almost every postion and has won the national title two years in a row. They return an elite qb with some of the best wr's in the country and a rb who averaged 12.1yds a carry. They crush elite teams from all over the country such as long beach poly(cal), bellevue(wa), bingham(ut), servite(cal), and all in a single season last year..
Agree the Maiava kid has no experience at the high school level and we don't even know if he will be the starter if he does in fact go to Kahuku... The kid like everyone else that goes for the starting QB spot is going to have to beat the others out! BG has a lot of D1 athletes but Kahuku has their fair share also and is no push over with a lot of returnees unlike when they played LB n East high, those were rebuilding years... Now getting back to the Maiava kid... from a friend that knows the kid well, he is a very special player beyond his years! Heard he went to the UCLA camp as a 7th grader last year and blew out a lot of upper classmen! Coach Mazzone pointed him out as a standout with the Afoa boy and they both stood out amongst high school caliber athletes... Even at the Nike combine as a 7th grader his score bested high school athletes! I'm just a fan of the kid and I just hear a lot of unreal things the kids is doing on and off the field... I wouldn't be surprised if he's the next kid in the class of 2020 to land an offer early... Experience or not PREPARATION is the key for transition! If a lot of other schools like Punahou, St. Louis want him as well as schools in the mainland, then I'm sure it's safe to say they know he is also a quick study and a grinder, with capability to play at a high level...

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

homegrown like lafa grow on your @$$ kine homegrown
-------------------

Read option
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Read option »

HowzitBrah wrote:Kahuku will have a passing game this upcoming season! I think the Renaud kid got better during the season although he didn't get a lot of snaps... They also have a kid coming up from the JR Prep that can start as a freshman and he is as good as advertised! If they move him up straight to Varsity... His name is Sol-Jay Maiava! Kid is legit and I'm hearing he has been getting offers to attend the Punahous n St. Louis of the worlds... Even some mainland schools... Kid is that good! Also played in the past FBU national Championship Tourney and Team Vegas who have a number of kids headed to BG had no answer for the kid! People on the Jr Prep level are well aware of him and word out on the north shore is that if he goes to Kahuku, they could have a freshman starting at QB if he beats the others out... A very talented kid also!

Hope the Kahuku Parents don't get all upset if that kid plays Varsity as a freshmen just like the current basketball team. Coach Tata gotta watch out or The principal and AD going suspend him but then again thats not his kid so he should be alright lol

Eastside Hooligan
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: 49ers

Post by Eastside Hooligan »

It will be an up hill battle!!! A battle any team from Hawaii could not pass up!!!

A lot haters and doubters on here as always. A lot of people doubted that Kahuku was going to win the State Championship but Nanny Nanny Boo Boo!!! WE WON. Yes Bishop Gorman is on another level but how you going get better?? A lot of you cried how come Kahuku didn't play anybody good , the conference was weak.... SHADDUP already. No matter the Hate and Envy the boys will play their best das all that they can do and das all we can ask for.

The RED RAIDER FAITHFUL will be there in Force from UTAH to California to Arizona and Hawaii.... Bishop Gorman will be shocked at the following.

Good Luck to Boys.... Train Hard and start digging!!!

GO BIG RED!!

95boyz

Post by 95boyz »

Does anyone remember this? http://scoringlive.com/football/gamesum ... ameid=1388

The Crusaders had a really good chance that year against Gorman and lost by only 12points. Then the Crusaders ended up losing to Punahou that year, and Punahou ended up losing to Kahuku in the State Championship game. On that Kahuku team was Aofaga Wily and on defense was Kawehena Johnson!!! So this game in September is not as far fetched as some of you make it out to be. But it will be a BIG challenge none the less.
GO BIG RED WARRIORZ!!!

bigD
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by bigD »

95boyz wrote:Does anyone remember this? http://scoringlive.com/football/gamesum ... ameid=1388

The Crusaders had a really good chance that year against Gorman and lost by only 12points. Then the Crusaders ended up losing to Punahou that year, and Punahou ended up losing to Kahuku in the State Championship game. On that Kahuku team was Aofaga Wily and on defense was Kawehena Johnson!!! So this game in September is not as far fetched as some of you make it out to be. But it will be a BIG challenge none the less.
This is a totally different animal, they are two time national champs with athletes from all over the states. This will be a GIGANTIC challenge against a team who last year destroyed 4 previous state champions. But for kahuku its a huge opprotunity and motivation for the players to get better. Many will doubt but dont take it personal because everything about this challenge is real. Hopefully it gives the kids exposure and impacts them in a positive way no matter the outcome..

I heard a few young players decided to stay and a few from the ILH might be returning just for the opportunity to play against bishop so i think the hype has already impacted kahuku in a positve way.

rednblue
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by rednblue »

Dog 96707 wrote:That might be opening the flood gates for Gorman to start pulling some more kids from the islands. I know that they got 2 kids on the squad now. I believe Isaia(OL) from iolani will be on the team next season. I heard they are looking at 2 kids from kahuku and 1 that's at stl. I heard its the maiava boy from kahuku and faoa from stl. not sure who the other kahuku kid is. I guess it is what it is, good luck to the red raiders. hopefully they can pull off the win.
DE Tausili Fiatoa freshman from Kahuku also up at Gorman, will be sophomore next year.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Eastside Hooligan wrote:It will be an up hill battle!!! A battle any team from Hawaii could not pass up!!!

A lot haters and doubters on here as always. A lot of people doubted that Kahuku was going to win the State Championship but Nanny Nanny Boo Boo!!! WE WON. Yes Bishop Gorman is on another level but how you going get better?? A lot of you cried how come Kahuku didn't play anybody good , the conference was weak.... SHADDUP already. No matter the Hate and Envy the boys will play their best das all that they can do and das all we can ask for.

The RED RAIDER FAITHFUL will be there in Force from UTAH to California to Arizona and Hawaii.... Bishop Gorman will be shocked at the following.

Good Luck to Boys.... Train Hard and start digging!!!

GO BIG RED!!
I agree with "Eastside Hooligan" can't pass up an opportunity to play the best and compete with the best. A true measure of success is competing against the best so no one can say you didn't play anyone of that caliber as a champion. We should all be supporting their efforts no matter what school you are from, as it represents all of Hawaii High School football.