Performance Enhancing Drugs (PED)

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Ramashack
High-quality H20 provider

Performance Enhancing Drugs (PED)

Post by Ramashack »

Anyone know what is/are the current HHSAA rules are regarding PEDs? Who or how are they enforced?

A generation ago they were called steroids, but not sure what the latest & greatest stuffs are now? HGH, human growth hormones?

For high school, is it an honor system? Is the assumption that no one is serious enough? Is this just not a real concern or problem?

FoxMulder
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Performance Enhancing Drugs (PED)

Post by FoxMulder »

As far as I know its all honor system. Which is scary when it comes to contact sports such as football, wrestling, and judo.

SportCourt
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by SportCourt »

LOTS of HS kids are on PED's they term it as "supplements" and it is very well used among HS athletes

westside.gee

Post by westside.gee »

My friend from Florida said back 15 years ago when he was in High School on the weight lifting team everyone was shooting steriods including himself. He also said at the High School level anyone who is anyone in any sport is using it. I played three sports while at Aiea HS and never heard of anyone using roids. I used creatine for lifting weights and drank monster or redbull before a game to get amped up.

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

Believe it or not, PED's are abused, to some extent, at the high school level. There's no testing for it since the rules don't address its use. If rules dictate otherwise, there would need to be testing and strict enforcement of consequences for positive tests...certainly a legal road the HHSAA does NOT want to traverse.

from the stands
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by from the stands »

Your right tho.....no matter what is written as legal or illegal, unless you check, no one going follow the rules.
Think speed limit signs....if HPD didn't issue tickets...people speeding would be out of control.
What you think use of PEDs are like since no one is checking.
"Honor System" .....why even bother?
Just say all legal....go for it....that way fair for all.....instead of rewarding the cheaters.

SportCourt
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by SportCourt »

HS athletes were using it here way back in the days...

Ramashack

Post by Ramashack »

Why "were"? Because the original reason for my question was that I had heard rumblings about it being a problem right now and just trying to find out some info.

I agree with above, if you not checking then it probably is a problem. If there are rules and you don't enforce them, aren't we simply holding back the good guys/gals, the one who follow the rules? We allowing those that cheat to gain an advantage. Honor system is kind of a cop-out, it seems to be reinforcing the wrong message. True Honor would require that those in charge go out and find the cheaters.

"too hard" seems to be the message being reinforced. If "too hard" to enforce, don't check. If "too hard" to train clean, don't, just pop some pils or drink some powder or take a shot (however its done). Is that really the kind of message you want to instill on student-athletes? When "too hard" quit or when "too hard" cheat?

Stretch
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Stretch »

With the cost of college going up, high school athletes need to go after scholarships. It's disappointing but they will do whatever it takes to get noticed.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Unfortunately the way things are with prototypes and measurables, undersized kids are at a serious disadvantage unless they have the speed, strength and agility to get looks. Lets face it, I had a skinny friend my Junior year in high school that came back from summer break huge and ripped. We all knew that wasn't the norm so I wasn't surprised when he told me he took a cycle to see how it would work and boom, his strength and speed was amazing. Was that appealing to me, yes, but I chose not to. Today he has lots of health problems and looks sickly, and attributes his ailments to years of PED use. Kids live for today and not for the future and there is no way the DOE could afford to test these athletes, because it would have to be ALL athletes and not just Football.

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

Getreal$ wrote:Unfortunately the way things are with prototypes and measurables, undersized kids are at a serious disadvantage unless they have the speed, strength and agility to get looks. Lets face it, I had a skinny friend my Junior year in high school that came back from summer break huge and ripped. We all knew that wasn't the norm so I wasn't surprised when he told me he took a cycle to see how it would work and boom, his strength and speed was amazing. Was that appealing to me, yes, but I chose not to. Today he has lots of health problems and looks sickly, and attributes his ailments to years of PED use. Kids live for today and not for the future and there is no way the DOE could afford to test these athletes, because it would have to be ALL athletes and not just Football.
I agree, however, it would have to be a policy enforced by the HHSAA and not only the DOE. If it were only the DOE, average sized/speed kids would bolt for the private schools that won't test. It seems that the legal battle to require testing would be insurmountable and not worth the effort by the HHSAA and its team of attorneys. Too bad, though, that it does give way to the so-called cheaters and their quest to attain the edge.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

MauiGuy wrote:
Getreal$ wrote:Unfortunately the way things are with prototypes and measurables, undersized kids are at a serious disadvantage unless they have the speed, strength and agility to get looks. Lets face it, I had a skinny friend my Junior year in high school that came back from summer break huge and ripped. We all knew that wasn't the norm so I wasn't surprised when he told me he took a cycle to see how it would work and boom, his strength and speed was amazing. Was that appealing to me, yes, but I chose not to. Today he has lots of health problems and looks sickly, and attributes his ailments to years of PED use. Kids live for today and not for the future and there is no way the DOE could afford to test these athletes, because it would have to be ALL athletes and not just Football.
I agree, however, it would have to be a policy enforced by the HHSAA and not only the DOE. If it were only the DOE, average sized/speed kids would bolt for the private schools that won't test. It seems that the legal battle to require testing would be insurmountable and not worth the effort by the HHSAA and its team of attorneys. Too bad, though, that it does give way to the so-called cheaters and their quest to attain the edge.
Appeals, challenges to the testing procedures, stays of suspensions, all lengthy litigation processes.......yes, not worth the effort for sure. The only thing I would recommend is a mandatory PED class for all athletes that specifically addresses the dangers of PED use.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

Getreal$ wrote:
MauiGuy wrote:
Appeals, challenges to the testing procedures, stays of suspensions, all lengthy litigation processes.......yes, not worth the effort for sure. The only thing I would recommend is a mandatory PED class for all athletes that specifically addresses the dangers of PED use.

Death penalty for anyone giving PEDs to minors.