KHON/Cover 2 All-State Football Teams

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
JetTrOpt
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

KHON/Cover 2 All-State Football Teams

Post by JetTrOpt »

http://khon2.com/2015/11/25/12-kahuku-s ... all-teams/
FIRST TEAM

Offense:

QB – Tua Tagovailoa – Saint Louis
RB – Vavae Malepeai – Mililani
RB – Wayne Taulapapa – Punahou
WR – Kalakaua Timoteo – Mililani
WR – Kumoku Noa – Kamehameha
WR – Keoni-Kordell Makekau – Iolani
WR – Kamakana Ching – Konawaena
FB/TE – Pua Falemalu – Kahuku
OL – Michael Eletise – Kaiser
OL – Toa Neher – Kahuku
OL – Andru Tovi – Mililani
OL – Keli’i Montibon – KS-Hawai’i
OL – Nate Herbig – Saint Louis
UTIL – Kesi Ah Hoy – Kahuku

Defense:

DL – Alema Kapoi – Kamehameha
DL – Tanielu Evaimalo – Saint Louis
DL – Brad Anae – Kahuku
DL – Christian Mejia – Kailua
LB – Isaac-Slade Matautia – Saint Louis
LB – Hirkley Latu – Kahuku
LB – Mosese Fifita – Kapa’a
LB – Manaia Atuaia – Kahuku
DB – Keala Santiago – Kahuku
DB – Kekaula Kaniho – Kahuku
DB – La’akea Kaho’ohanohano-Davis – Baldwin
DB – Stokes Botelho – KahukuSECOND TEAM

Offense:

QB – McKenzie Milton – Mililani
RB – Challen Fa’amatau – Farrington
RB – Ace Faumui – Radford
WR – Ty-Noah Williams – Kapolei
WR –Drew Kobayashi – Saint Louis
WR – Andrew Simanu – Waipahu
WR – Ethan Takeyama – Punahou
FB/TE – Anthony Palleschi – Hawaii Prep Academy
OL – Kanai Eldredge – Punahou
OL – Tayvis Passos – Radford
OL – Sean Auwae – Kapolei
OL – Jed Heffernan – Kahuku
OL – John Kapua – Waianae
UTIL – Jensen McDaniel – Kaiser
Defense:

DL – Christian Naeole – Iolani
DL – Ola Tatofi – Kapa’a
DL – Kaimana Padello – Mililani
DL – Billy Masima – Kaimuki
LB – Tainoa Foster – Kamehameha
LB – Aaron Tapusoa – Kahuku
LB – Mana Kupihea – Kapa’a
LB – La’akea Look – Punahou
DB – Tielu Mamea – Mililani
DB – Nic Tom – Kaiser
DB – Cameron Howes – Konawaena
DB – Ronson Timbreza – Saint Louis
K – Adam Stack – Kamehameha
P – Kekoa Sasaoka – Kahuku
KR – Jeremy McGoldrick – Castle
PR – Blaise Manabe – Radford
K – Jet Toner – Punahou
KR – Clifford Cunningham – Nanakuli
PR – Michael Feliciano – Moanalua

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Re: KHON/Cover 2 All-State Football Teams

Post by BullNuts808 »

Congrats to those selected. I don't what to sound disrespectful but it doesn't make sense that D1 players are pushed out of an ALL STATE nomination by D2 players. If all other award nominations separate the two, there should also be a All State D1 Team and a All State D2 team. Mind you this is an ALL STATE nomination supposedly the best in the state. These awards should never be combined. Just can't comprehend how Auwae/Foster/Kobayashi was bumped to 2nd team bc of a D2 player. :lol: :lol: mind-boggling

Naue
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Naue »

Imo....the school may be D2 but they're a lot of high caliber players in D2. Just because they play in a D2 school doesn't mean that they can't be better than a player from a D1 school. Not enough D2 players get recognized.
With that said, i know very little of the player you are talking about although i heard he is a good player.
"when they show you their true colors, believe them"

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

BullNuts808 wrote:Congrats to those selected. I don't what to sound disrespectful but it doesn't make sense that D1 players are pushed out of an ALL STATE nomination by D2 players. If all other award nominations separate the two, there should also be a All State D1 Team and a All State D2 team. Mind you this is an ALL STATE nomination supposedly the best in the state. These awards should never be combined. Just can't comprehend how Auwae/Foster/Kobayashi was bumped to 2nd team bc of a D2 player. :lol: :lol: mind-boggling
I agree. there should be separate all-state teams. I also agree that some of the boys playing on a D2 team are definitely better than some of the D1 talent...i have no problem with kobayashi being bumped.

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

rrforlifebaby wrote:
BullNuts808 wrote:Congrats to those selected. I don't what to sound disrespectful but it doesn't make sense that D1 players are pushed out of an ALL STATE nomination by D2 players. If all other award nominations separate the two, there should also be a All State D1 Team and a All State D2 team. Mind you this is an ALL STATE nomination supposedly the best in the state. These awards should never be combined. Just can't comprehend how Auwae/Foster/Kobayashi was bumped to 2nd team bc of a D2 player. :lol: :lol: mind-boggling
I agree. there should be separate all-state teams. I also agree that some of the boys playing on a D2 team are definitely better than some of the D1 talent...i have no problem with kobayashi being bumped.
I guess the real question is: are All-State teams judged off stats/yearly performance or is it judged off of how good a player is? Kobayashi may have had some struggles or not lived up to expectations but he still surfaced as the best receiver (statistically/physically) on the second best team in the state. He forced teams to play coverage defense and roll safeties. I guess what I'm saying is, he is a perfect example of a kid that may not have had the best statistical year, but definitely one of the better talents in the state. I think too much is judged off of stats. Timoteo is a kid who produced a ton of stats, but he had the best player in the state running the ball. There's a reason why Kobayashi has twice the amount of offers as any other receiver in the state...because he is talented. If I were to vote on a All-State team I would approach it like I was building a team to take to the mainland and compete.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

University Ave wrote:
rrforlifebaby wrote:
I guess the real question is: are All-State teams judged off stats/yearly performance or is it judged off of how good a player is? Kobayashi may have had some struggles or not lived up to expectations but he still surfaced as the best receiver (statistically/physically) on the second best team in the state. He forced teams to play coverage defense and roll safeties. I guess what I'm saying is, he is a perfect example of a kid that may not have had the best statistical year, but definitely one of the better talents in the state. I think too much is judged off of stats. Timoteo is a kid who produced a ton of stats, but he had the best player in the state running the ball. There's a reason why Kobayashi has twice the amount of offers as any other receiver in the state...because he is talented. If I were to vote on a All-State team I would approach it like I was building a team to take to the mainland and compete.
All I will say to this is you need to perform to be recognized as an All State player. Being talented and physically gifted is one thing, but if you don't perform on the field like others have, you shouldn't be recognized. You opened up a can of worms with that post "University Ave" good luck defending that thought process.

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

Getreal$ wrote:
University Ave wrote:
rrforlifebaby wrote: I agree. there should be separate all-state teams. I also agree that some of the boys playing on a D2 team are definitely better than some of the D1 talent...i have no problem with kobayashi being bumped.
All I will say to this is you need to perform to be recognized as an All State player. Being talented and physically gifted is one thing, but if you don't perform on the field like others have, you shouldn't be recognized. You opened up a can of worms with that post "University Ave" good luck defending that thought process.
Not making a claim that he should've been a first teamer, just using him as an example. If you're talking performance, Makekau made first team in multiple publications and Kobayashi's stats are identical to his. I'm simply asking the question how voters or critics view the voting process because there are obviously two ways of looking at it. In my view, performance also includes other areas of a players game besides statistics. Do you view "performance" on a purely statistical standpoint? I don't. Blocking, how defenses adjust/gameplan against you, notable plays...I just think there are other areas of value than just pure stats.

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

If you're talking performance then I think McGoldrick was a first teamer with 15 td, even after missing games. Played defense and a threat on special teams.
Also, Ty-Noah Williams with nearly 1000 yds and 9 tds. Break out game with over 300 yds and 4 tds.
Or even Esprecion who led the state in catches and was hands down Campbell's favorite target. Great games against Mililani and Kailua when Terrell Johnson was out.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Purely on statistics, absolutely not. But if you play on the second best team in the state and have the BEST throwing QB in the state, lets be real, you should have some stats if you are the BEST receiver in the state. Maybe my thought process is flawed and I will say there will never be a perfect selection criteria. But in general, most kids are deserving and some kids will be left out while a couple will leave you baffled. Some kids look the part, others play the part, some talk the part or have others sell their part, but a select few perform the part like Punahou Alum Brandon Ito did.

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

The state title game was the first time Ive seen Kobayashi play, I have heard that ever since he blew on to the scene his sophmore year that he had issues with catching the ball in critical situations. Maybe he balled out in camps and in the regular season but in the state title game when it mattered most he dropped some wide open balls. Maybe Tua throws too fast of a ball and maybe Timoteo and Noa would drop some of those fast balls too but hey, it is what it is.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Other than the games against Big Red and mililani, I didn't see much of DK this year. imho, other than speed, i don't see him being that much of a better receiver than a bunch of other guys. it seemed like he was really timid against Kahuku; i'm guessing that was the most physical secondary he's faced. i have much more appreciation for kids like Ronson Young(Stl), Timoteo and some of the Kapolei receivers. I hope DK is able to blossom and ball out at the next level.

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

I agree that Kobayashi has been inconsistent the past two years but he's played against Hawaii's top DBs and I think that should stand for something. Just can't see how this compares to those selected who played against D2 teams but that's just me. As previously mentioned, Takeyama, McGoldrick, Simau, Esprecion were all 1st team candidates but were not mentioned or pushed to 2nd team to accommodate D2 players. Though there are great individual D2 players, there's a significant difference when your team is playing against a D1 team compared to a D2 team (execution of plays, coaching level, etc.). If they are going to combine "All-State" awards, they should get rid of the divisions. Again, just my opinion, Happy New Year!