2016 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
statefarmjake808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2016 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Post by statefarmjake808 »

I wonder what all the coaches take is on stuff they read on this forum - Campbell - Lucas, Moanalua - Darren, Kapolei - Salter, Waianae - Johns, Leilehua - Kevin and Roosevelt - Ted, PC - Mike for the girls?

Opihiman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Opihiman »

talloola25 wrote:This weekend is going to be fun. Should be some pretty close races. Girls should have a 3 way race for first. Boys should be in a close one as well, with 4 teams looking to make it close. Moanalua has a very solid lineup all around and should pick up a lot of points in the wrestle backs. Regardless, there are going to be a lot of battles and put the OIA significantly behind the ILH/Maui for qualifiers to state. The ILH/Maui big dogs should Q between 11-14 each, simply because of the number of participants in their tourneys. This should make the state results something like this: 1. Iolani 2. Campbell 3. KSK 4. Punahou 5. Baldwin 6. Kapolei.
I think your State predictions are off regarding the strength of the ILH. States are a whole different mix. While numbers of entries are important it really comes down to strength of players and then numbers. I think Lahaina took it with around seven placers and 1 champion last year.

Punahou is very young and only has 2 potential contenders and maybe 2 more strong wrestlers and will be in the mix for a place from 5th to 10th.
KSK also has a bunch of pukas, weak on the top of the spectrum and more likely not make the top 5.

I think it will come down to one of these four: Campbell, Iolani, Moanalua, Kapolei.
Campbell: I think had a few wrestlers pull out at officials whom possibly could have pulled them in front of Iolani. Terukina at 126 has improved.
Iolani: 152 Pascua no longer a guarantee with Corbett dropping; 182 Fantanu who took first at officials will face Arakawa bumping up along with a bunch of others dropping down and new addition to Moanalua a stud transfer from the mainland that certified a few weeks ago and will be in the mix.
Moanalua: solid line up all around ... possibly could take it without a state champion but Garcia looks to be peaking and 182 could take it all.
Kapolei: Like Iolani their strong wrestlers face strong competition from all around. All depends how they perform at States.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

Any Predictions on individuals for this weekend? OIA and ILH Champs?

Chinkyeyes
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Chinkyeyes »

Personally I don't even think Moanalua is in the top 3 for OIAS. You guys give all this hype to them and who they really got?
Their 106,132,&145 is good. But none are even guaranteed champs.
Leilehua won the west, even if a few studs were missing I don't think it makes that big of a difference.

I say it's a coin flip between
Kapolei, Campbell and Leilehua

Ale.xiis
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Ale.xiis »

bangahboi wrote:OIA'S 2016 is gonna be LIT!!!
106: Stalcup Vs Garcia will be a battle. Garcia is dirty af but Stalcup never backs down. Stalcup pulls out the win in this one.
113: Santos, Pagurayan, Morisato, Nitta. Super deep weight class. too close to call but Santos looked good at West
120: Pagurayan, Morisato, Tavares, Diamond looking to make a name for himself. Pagurayan should be healthy.
126: Terukina, Keliinoi rematch from westerns final. will be a war.
132: ILaban-totten should handle Ruiz 1 more time.
138: Bailey vs Cooper will be a barn burner but I think Bailey takes this one.
145: Diamond Vs. Gallarde. Diamond looked great for his first tournament back since his officials injury. Out wrestled Gallarde at westerns but I see Gallarde coming back extra strong and taking it this time. had the match been 30 seconds longer Gallarde would have won.
152: Corbett Vs. Nick Kim as long as they aren't on the same side of the bracket would be the best finals match for Liam. Kim is only a sophomore but is as slick and he is strong. Very impressed with this young man however Corbett owns whatever weightclass he enters.
160: No clue who fills the void left by Corbett
170: Jake from state farm...i mean waianae. unless he feels its finally safe to go back down to 160. I swear he ran from corbett last year too didn't he?
all those roids must have shrank his balls. Grow a pair and stop running!!!!!!!

You can't say that Naosusuga was running away from Corbett this year or last. He went up against him last year at the beginning but doesn't mean he was running, especially if a coach put him in another spot. Naosusuga stood his ground, maybe this year he got moved up a weight class again. Don't assume if you don't know, mahalo.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

Chinkyeyes wrote:Personally I don't even think Moanalua is in the top 3 for OIAS. You guys give all this hype to them and who they really got?
Their 106,132,&145 is good. But none are even guaranteed champs.
Leilehua won the west, even if a few studs were missing I don't think it makes that big of a difference.

I say it's a coin flip between
Kapolei, Campbell and Leilehua
I don't think it is because they have studs, its because they have medium to high quality at almost every weight class. They WILL score a lot of points in the wrestle backs. Kapolei and Campbell may have more "studs", but Moanalua definitely has the potential to score more points. It will be a good battle. I don't think they have any hype to them, but they do have a solid team.

bangahboi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bangahboi »

Kapolei is da team to beat.

statefarmjake808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

bangahboi wrote:Kapolei is da team to beat.
Shandon and Pagurayans have their work cut out for them. According to the team scores on Hawaii prep world, Kapolei lost t Leilehua by over 80 pts.

wrestlingmama
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by wrestlingmama »

[quote="Kama"]A great day of wrestling at Aiea for the west OIA championships. Not to take anything away from the east or the other islands, but the wild wild OIA west is definitely where the BIG boys play.

Three of the marguee match ups for the day were at 138 and 145 for the boys and the girls 97 pound 3rd place match between Ariel Goo of Mililani and Joryn Angelo of Kapolei.

First for the girls, It was a flurry from the get go with Goo getting Angelo on her back for a brief second and scoring a very quick fall. Now if this were freestyle, it would have been a fall, but in folk style there needs to be a 1 to 2 second pin. After a moment of celebrating the pin was called a mistake and the match resumed. It was back and forth the entire way, which got each team going nuts, it was great! The match ended Angelo getting caught and pinned in the 3rd. Awesome Match!

The next matchup was at 145 between Zach Diamond and Josh Gallarde. Gallarde was relentless on top and really punished Diamond for about 2 periods. Gallarde was able to take a commanding 5 - 0 lead after 1. Then in the 2nd Gallarde was tossed to his back and nearly pinned, fortunately the clock saved him. The score was 6 - 5 Gallarde going int the 3rd. Diamond was able to get a couple of takedowns and stalled out the last 10 seconds to take the victory.

The best matchup was between Cooper and Bailey. This match was tight all the way to the end. With Bailey needng to hold on for the win, Cooper gets a reversal and takedown for the win. The gym was pumped and we could have used a hype man on the mic flowing with the match. Just like Rucker park!

I didn't see the Carlson match, but from what I was told it was a really convincing win from Lono.

Asia Evans and Kalyssa Pundyke wonT

This past weekend was filled with lots of awesome matches. The sad thing was that the refs weren't consistent with their calls. The Miner girl (Nanakuli) got robbed. I wasn't able to watch the Diamond and Gallarde match, but im sure Gallarde will be back for the win. The Cooper and Bailey match didn't end with a reversal and take town. He got 1 pt for technical violation and another point for Bailey choosing neutral. Then he got the take down in last seconds of the match. There were a few new refs iv'e never seen. Seems like they were training with the calls they were making. Just saying.

Lets hope this tournament is more consistent.. I <3 wrestling

bangahboi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bangahboi »

statefarmjake808 wrote:
bangahboi wrote:Kapolei is da team to beat.
Shandon and Pagurayans have their work cut out for them. According to the team scores on Hawaii prep world, Kapolei lost t Leilehua by over 80 pts.
All 3 are favorites to win plus score choke bonus points on top. Guarenz Kapolei get um

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

I don't think it's just because they will score a lot. It's also because the guys that did score in their absence won't score as many now.

bangahboi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bangahboi »

Salangdron lookin solid at 160 wit Corbett out da picture. Morrison at 220 and da 285 are gonna be finalists too. Kapolei wit 6 in da finals. 113, 120, 132, 160, 220, 285. Dey gettum guarenz. Kapolei 2016 OIA champs. Congratz Sallter

statefarmjake808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

I guess so bangahboi. Congrats Sallter

_sportcourt
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by _sportcourt »

wrestlingmama wrote:
Kama wrote:A great day of wrestling at Aiea for the west OIA championships. Not to take anything away from the east or the other islands, but the wild wild OIA west is definitely where the BIG boys play.

Three of the marguee match ups for the day were at 138 and 145 for the boys and the girls 97 pound 3rd place match between Ariel Goo of Mililani and Joryn Angelo of Kapolei.

First for the girls, It was a flurry from the get go with Goo getting Angelo on her back for a brief second and scoring a very quick fall. Now if this were freestyle, it would have been a fall, but in folk style there needs to be a 1 to 2 second pin. After a moment of celebrating the pin was called a mistake and the match resumed. It was back and forth the entire way, which got each team going nuts, it was great! The match ended Angelo getting caught and pinned in the 3rd. Awesome Match!

The next matchup was at 145 between Zach Diamond and Josh Gallarde. Gallarde was relentless on top and really punished Diamond for about 2 periods. Gallarde was able to take a commanding 5 - 0 lead after 1. Then in the 2nd Gallarde was tossed to his back and nearly pinned, fortunately the clock saved him. The score was 6 - 5 Gallarde going int the 3rd. Diamond was able to get a couple of takedowns and stalled out the last 10 seconds to take the victory.

The best matchup was between Cooper and Bailey. This match was tight all the way to the end. With Bailey needng to hold on for the win, Cooper gets a reversal and takedown for the win. The gym was pumped and we could have used a hype man on the mic flowing with the match. Just like Rucker park!

I didn't see the Carlson match, but from what I was told it was a really convincing win from Lono.

Asia Evans and Kalyssa Pundyke wonT

This past weekend was filled with lots of awesome matches. The sad thing was that the refs weren't consistent with their calls. The Miner girl (Nanakuli) got robbed. I wasn't able to watch the Diamond and Gallarde match, but im sure Gallarde will be back for the win. The Cooper and Bailey match didn't end with a reversal and take town. He got 1 pt for technical violation and another point for Bailey choosing neutral. Then he got the take down in last seconds of the match. There were a few new refs iv'e never seen. Seems like they were training with the calls they were making. Just saying.

Lets hope this tournament is more consistent.. I <3 wrestling
Refs are part of the game, coaches need to knowntheir rules and question when needed. Oney was the best at it when jedi mind tricking the refs!

Ok, maybe Nanakuli... Bailey lost to a game Cooper who know is much more confident and has seemed to figure out The bull style of Bailey, Cooper rising up for states Bailey needs to use the loss to get into better shape, short time..Cooper pulls it out again by next week. Gallarde lost to Diamond who has not been wrestling for 10 weeks, does not sit well for Gallarde who has also been pinned several times this year, the opposite for Diamond who can only get better this week..his timing, conditioning was off and he still pulled it out. Diamond will widen the gap in OIA but needs to be seeded 1 or 2 at states....the curse is real!

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

I think one of the more interesting matches(if it happens) will be Diamond v Pagaduan from Castle. I believe he was the one that injured him at OIA's the other year(or was it his brother?). That match could have an interesting dynamic if they meet in the finals. Other fun matchups to look forward to(obviously only if they meet):
Boys:
108 Stalcup v Garcia
113 Morisato v Santos 3
126 Keliinoi v Terukina
132 Ilabon-Totten v Ruiz
138 Bailey v Cooper
145 Pagaduan v Gallarde/Diamond
195 Smith v Tynanes
Girls:
99: Higa v Tamang
109: Abe v Leong
114: Pundyke v Higa
124: Lono v Carlson
170: Fuamatu v Morris

1 more day!
We will also see the Alo's and Mata'afa hit the mat finally.
What are the matches you're looking forward to? ILH? MIL? BIIF? KIL?