2016 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Couch Potato
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2016 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Post by Couch Potato »

The problem with the reffing is that many of the "Old Guard" think that they have arrived and have no room for improvement. Yes they are human, yes they will make mistakes, but it does not excuses us from being responsible for our performances. Like in any job, we are held to a level of competence and if we consistently fall short of that level, we would be and should be removed from our duties.....period. I have seen countless results influenced by referees bad performances. It's time for accountability!! Perhaps a tier system for getting paid? Level 3 referees make the minimum, Level 2 referees make a little more, and level 1 referees make the most. Levels decided by coaches and AD's evaluations. A tier system would also allow for getting the best referees in on the more important matches. Our counrty works on checks and balances, why shouldn't our referees?

_sportcourt
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by _sportcourt »

eastside wrote:
twnoexcuses wrote:
Chinkyeyes wrote:Don't feed me that everyone was booing the ref crap because everytime Corbett got mat returned the arena went crazy, for what? Mat returns receive no points, literally everytime Corbett was up on an opportunity he got boo'd. Don't feed me that crap, you guys are really tough behind these keyboards.. Don't be sad and salty because pascua didn't pull through so you guys can dog on the OIA. My advice for all you haters on this match is be careful what you ask for! Both kids are phenomenal, stop making this more than what it is. If pascua really wanted to win he would've put up offense after he got the escape in the last period and not just tried to stall out and win by 1. Be greatful you got to see a great match by two great wrestlers!

Every time there was an airbborne mat return in the finals, there were oohs, aahs and cheering. Sometimes in the same match based on mat returns by the two wrestlers involved.

Just so happens that high flying mat returns aren't Corbett's style, so he got no cheers for executing them. It is Pascua's style, so when he did it, like just about, if not EVERY hard mat return in the finals, it elicited cheers.

People were boooing the ref. There's no question about it. It was knowledgeable booing too.

When Pascua had Corbett's leg, I was psyched to see how the scramble would finish. I had ZERO idea how it would. I remember clearly thinking, Corbett could work his wizardry and end up with a scramble take down, Pascua could finish the taked down, or they could finish out of bounds with no takedown. It was great battle at that moment.

Whoever wrote that Pascua wasn't improving his postion, or Corbett fighting back, should watch the tape. Pascua was making progress up the leg. It was a situation where Pascua had a clear advantage with both wrestlers in bounds and Pascua had a number of options to finish. Corbett, alternatively, looked like he had a counter plan. Would've been a classic finish to that segment of the match if the ref didn't insist on hogging and taking back the spotlight (the problem being that all eyes were riveted on the two wrestlers in a titanic struggle, and the ref got jealous. He knew that, at best, with both wrestlers maneuvering on the ground, the most the TV cameras would show were his shoes).
I guess you need to hook up with OldMan Jenkins and watch the video again because it looks like you only want to see what you want to see...... Pascua does not make any progress up Corbetts leg and if you look at his left arm/hand it never gets above Corbett's knee. His right arm/hand goes far ankle a few times and back down on the knee and at one point around his waist but never does Pascua move up at anytime...... Please believe your eyes and not continue to display your bias by only seeing what you want to see. Watch when the stalemate was called, Pascua was on his knees with his head close to the mat. On anyone else, Pascua would probably have finished but like I said to OldMan, If you know anything about Corbett's scrambling ability than you would understand they would have stayed in that position all day...... Pascua did not have any option to finish and I think the official wanted to get them back in the center before the period ended to give the wrestlers another chance at scoring. Again, and for the last time, a good and close match with the right wrestler winning and more importantly it was decided by the wrestlers.
The first stall warning call was absolutely horrible...no one can disagree with that especially if we are believing what we are seeing
The stalemate call was questionable but I don't think it was Corbett's scrambling ability it was rather the lack of action on Pascua part that warranted the call
The takedown, I thought was a bad call..it seemed like Corbett scored a clear takedown well before the boundary.

Would the last seconds be played out differently if Pascua knew he had a stall warning to give?
Would Corbett desperately attack to force a call and get the warning and the 1pt?
Would Ray be willing to give the points to get himself into the match?

Lots of scenarios that could of played out but Corbett walks away with the victory, Once again it was a pretty boring match by two guys who normally put up huge points, expected fireworks but got sparklers.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

_sportcourt wrote:
eastside wrote:
twnoexcuses wrote:

Every time there was an airbborne mat return in the finals, there were oohs, aahs and cheering. Sometimes in the same match based on mat returns by the two wrestlers involved.

Just so happens that high flying mat returns aren't Corbett's style, so he got no cheers for executing them. It is Pascua's style, so when he did it, like just about, if not EVERY hard mat return in the finals, it elicited cheers.

People were boooing the ref. There's no question about it. It was knowledgeable booing too.

When Pascua had Corbett's leg, I was psyched to see how the scramble would finish. I had ZERO idea how it would. I remember clearly thinking, Corbett could work his wizardry and end up with a scramble take down, Pascua could finish the taked down, or they could finish out of bounds with no takedown. It was great battle at that moment.

Whoever wrote that Pascua wasn't improving his postion, or Corbett fighting back, should watch the tape. Pascua was making progress up the leg. It was a situation where Pascua had a clear advantage with both wrestlers in bounds and Pascua had a number of options to finish. Corbett, alternatively, looked like he had a counter plan. Would've been a classic finish to that segment of the match if the ref didn't insist on hogging and taking back the spotlight (the problem being that all eyes were riveted on the two wrestlers in a titanic struggle, and the ref got jealous. He knew that, at best, with both wrestlers maneuvering on the ground, the most the TV cameras would show were his shoes).
I guess you need to hook up with OldMan Jenkins and watch the video again because it looks like you only want to see what you want to see...... Pascua does not make any progress up Corbetts leg and if you look at his left arm/hand it never gets above Corbett's knee. His right arm/hand goes far ankle a few times and back down on the knee and at one point around his waist but never does Pascua move up at anytime...... Please believe your eyes and not continue to display your bias by only seeing what you want to see. Watch when the stalemate was called, Pascua was on his knees with his head close to the mat. On anyone else, Pascua would probably have finished but like I said to OldMan, If you know anything about Corbett's scrambling ability than you would understand they would have stayed in that position all day...... Pascua did not have any option to finish and I think the official wanted to get them back in the center before the period ended to give the wrestlers another chance at scoring. Again, and for the last time, a good and close match with the right wrestler winning and more importantly it was decided by the wrestlers.
The first stall warning call was absolutely horrible...no one can disagree with that especially if we are believing what we are seeing
The stalemate call was questionable but I don't think it was Corbett's scrambling ability it was rather the lack of action on Pascua part that warranted the call
The takedown, I thought was a bad call..it seemed like Corbett scored a clear takedown well before the boundary.

Would the last seconds be played out differently if Pascua knew he had a stall warning to give?
Would Corbett desperately attack to force a call and get the warning and the 1pt?

Lots of scenarios that could of played out but Corbett walks away with the victory, Once again it was a pretty boring match by two guys who normally put up huge points, expected fireworks but got sparklers.

That's what's most frustrating. The ref's behavior altered the kids' normal go for it approach.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

twnoexcuses wrote:
_sportcourt wrote:
eastside wrote:

That's what's most frustrating. The ref's behavior altered the kids' normal go for it approach.
One solution is to address the ref's lust for spotlight head on. Let the ref be part of the OC16 broadcast crew and give him a mic that doesn't work at all.

shooter808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by shooter808 »

raider4life wrote:
iolani4life wrote:You would never see the ILH lowering themselves to that of the savages from the OIA, we're simply more civilized and cultured. The OIA could learn a thing or two on pride and discipline.
Be smart and stay in school and study diligently. Because eventually you'll be seeing an Iolani graduate for a job!

Iolani4life, I have to say that if your are in fact an Iolani graduate you are a sad example and the one who missed learning the core values of the school. Seems to me like your mission in life is to try to get everyone to hate Iolani and nothing more. I think Iolani is a great school with generally good kids, for the most part they are the cream of the crop, hand picked and like most private schools they can weed out what doesn't meet their standards. Most (not all) Iolani kids are very sheltered, very book smart, street dumb, and among the pretty well off to afford the $20 grand tuition. There are also kids who are on financial aid, parent's who are scrapping by and working multiple jobs to try to provide their kid the best education they believe possible. But that doesn't guarantee that every Iolani graduate will become a doctor, lawyers, or CEO. They also pursue careers as policemen, firemen, teachers and other civil service jobs. So, rather than just troll around making obviously false statements, why not provide some support and insight with your superior knowledge. If Iolani wrestling was so great why the 10-15 year absence from being in contention? (Like one poster said ... where you been in hiding?) Why should the Iolani girls wrestling deserve any recognition this year ... only one good wrestler who was trained outside of the school? What are your projections for the boys for each wrestler in each weight class for ILH and States? I think you are getting a head of yourself, Iolani got wiped out in last year States in the second day. Gallarde was wiping out Takenaka before he got caught. A lot of tough returning State Champions and contenders in a bunch of weight classes to overcome so explain your guaranteed statement with head to head projections because where Iolani is strong the weight classes are stacked.
there is no way this guy is an Iolani alum. This is that sour grapes haole Pun from Kaneohe who creates multiple SH accounts to bash Iolani, from D2 football to accusing Iolani football players in high school making his life "miserable". Dude hasn't let go in over a decade. Don't bash the guy, it's a pathetic situation but he's buff and blue all the way.

ProudDad
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by ProudDad »

I know Pearl City Head coach is stepping down but I'm hearing rumors that maybe Kaiser and Castle as well. Can anyone confirm.

Opihiman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Opihiman »

shooter808 wrote:
raider4life wrote:
iolani4life wrote:You would never see the ILH lowering themselves to that of the savages from the OIA, we're simply more civilized and cultured. The OIA could learn a thing or two on pride and discipline.
Be smart and stay in school and study diligently. Because eventually you'll be seeing an Iolani graduate for a job!

Iolani4life, I have to say that if your are in fact an Iolani graduate you are a sad example and the one who missed learning the core values of the school. Seems to me like your mission in life is to try to get everyone to hate Iolani and nothing more. I think Iolani is a great school with generally good kids, for the most part they are the cream of the crop, hand picked and like most private schools they can weed out what doesn't meet their standards. Most (not all) Iolani kids are very sheltered, very book smart, street dumb, and among the pretty well off to afford the $20 grand tuition. There are also kids who are on financial aid, parent's who are scrapping by and working multiple jobs to try to provide their kid the best education they believe possible. But that doesn't guarantee that every Iolani graduate will become a doctor, lawyers, or CEO. They also pursue careers as policemen, firemen, teachers and other civil service jobs. So, rather than just troll around making obviously false statements, why not provide some support and insight with your superior knowledge. If Iolani wrestling was so great why the 10-15 year absence from being in contention? (Like one poster said ... where you been in hiding?) Why should the Iolani girls wrestling deserve any recognition this year ... only one good wrestler who was trained outside of the school? What are your projections for the boys for each wrestler in each weight class for ILH and States? I think you are getting a head of yourself, Iolani got wiped out in last year States in the second day. Gallarde was wiping out Takenaka before he got caught. A lot of tough returning State Champions and contenders in a bunch of weight classes to overcome so explain your guaranteed statement with head to head projections because where Iolani is strong the weight classes are stacked.
there is no way this guy is an Iolani alum. This is that sour grapes haole Pun from Kaneohe who creates multiple SH accounts to bash Iolani, from D2 football to accusing Iolani football players in high school making his life "miserable". Dude hasn't let go in over a decade. Don't bash the guy, it's a pathetic situation but he's buff and blue all the way.
Do you miss Iolani4Life? He's taken the backseat for months which is nice. I know he's pissed off a bunch of Iolani parents and alumni and you would think it was none other than a Punahou caper but unfortunately he is not associated with Punahou in anyway, except for the fact that Punahou's head coach was his coach at Iolani. I went back and read all of his posts and figured it out. It's pretty obvious who this guy is and half the posts are about himself. He is in fact an Iolani graduate but not of the Class of 1993 as claimed (that was to throw you guys off but that's when he was born). He is a 2011 Iolani graduate who wrestled for Iolani most likely a multiple time State Champion and most likely a current Iolani assistant coach. It is none other than ....

Chinkyeyes
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Chinkyeyes »

_sportcourt wrote:
eastside wrote:
twnoexcuses wrote:

Personally I think there were no fireworks because the hype leading up to it, both kids were scared to lose. Lots on the line. Look at it from a athletes perspective, everyone is coming to watch your match.. you know your opponent is a state champ and you can't make a mistake. What's going through your head? Plus Corbett was screwed from a takedown from the same exact refs two years ago so yeah lol I'd be a lil shakey myself.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

Opihiman wrote:
shooter808 wrote:
raider4life wrote:

Do you miss Iolani4Life? He's taken the backseat for months which is nice. I know he's pissed off a bunch of Iolani parents and alumni and you would think it was none other than a Punahou caper but unfortunately he is not associated with Punahou in anyway, except for the fact that Punahou's head coach was his coach at Iolani. I went back and read all of his posts and figured it out. It's pretty obvious who this guy is and half the posts are about himself. He is in fact an Iolani graduate but not of the Class of 1993 as claimed (that was to throw you guys off but that's when he was born). He is a 2011 Iolani graduate who wrestled for Iolani most likely a multiple time State Champion and most likely a current Iolani assistant coach. It is none other than ....
HAHAHAHAHA! Bad guess. If it is a guess.

statefarmjake808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by statefarmjake808 »

twnoexcuses wrote:
Opihiman wrote:
shooter808 wrote:
You're reaction is basically an admission that you are iolani4life.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

statefarmjake808 wrote:
twnoexcuses wrote:
Opihiman wrote:
You're reaction is basically an admission that you are iolani4life.
HAHAHAHA how is that??

Chinkyeyes
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Chinkyeyes »

What's your guys thoughts on the P4P?
Do you think it's correct?

miyagi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by miyagi »

Chinkyeyes wrote:What's your guys thoughts on the P4P?

Corey Cabanban over Nakasone

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

Chinkyeyes wrote:What's your guys thoughts on the P4P?
1. Kato (Unbeatable in his championship weight class and one weight up)
2. Nakasone (Dominating and punishing. Never a doubt in his Championship match)
3. Terukina (Powerful and prepared)
4. Illabon (Only powerful and prepared could've beat him)
5. Corbett (Solid and smart)
6. Pascua (Powerful and athletic. Only Solid and smart could beat him)
7. Cooper (Most powerful pound for pound)
8. Villarmia (Best position/control wrestler after Kato)
9. Stevenson (Dominant in his weight)
10. Cabanban (113) (Two time means something).

ProudDad
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by ProudDad »

Congrats to Blake Cooper 165 lbs NAIA National Champion and Joshua Terao 133 lbs National Collegiate Open Champion. Also I heard his brother David is in the semi's. I believe Zack Hernandez is wrestling as well. 808 Represent.