2016 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
FoxMulder
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2016 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Post by FoxMulder »

statefarmjake808 wrote:
eastside wrote:I really didn't see anything controversial about the Corbett/Pascua match. It was a close match and the right person won. I do agree that the stall call against Pascua was off but it did not determine the match. I would have to say that the booing by the Iolani/Grappler area was very unsportsmanlike. I know someone said in an earlier blog the booing came from all corners of the arena but I disagree because it has happened before with kids associated from Grapplers. No Class....... It takes away from the great wrestling and puts the focus on the reffs. Stalemate on the edge and both wreslters did not improve their position(they actually did not move at all for atleast 15 seconds, Pascua tried for the far ankle atleast 3times but couldn't get it). Great stalemate call! How long do you want them there with no improvement? Would you have wanted them stuck in the same position for another 15 seconds or would you want them back in the center to look for another scoring opportunity. The out of bounds call also looks like the right call when Pascua turns Corbett. Corbett is completely out and Pascua's knee/foot touches out. Supporting point of both wrestlers are out. Another close but Great call! TD situation by Corbett should have been awarded earlier inbounds when he covers hips beyond reaction time but the reff held the call and awarded it on the edge when Corbett secures both legs as his supporting points are his feet not his knees and Pascua finally bears weight on his hands. TD either way and again, Great Call!!! During these situations, Booing takes place and again, no fricken class. I think officials in general from all sports can improve but to accuse an official of determing a match with a stall call is ridiculous in my opinion. Again, great match in my opinion and it was decided by the wrestlers not the official.
Seriously? Complaining because people boo'd?? Seriously?
I'm not complaining that ppl boo'ed (everyone can do what they want) but I do think it's pretty embarrassing that ppl felt it necessary to boo high school kids.

But if your one of the adults that where involved in the booing, did you not accomplish what the two on the mat have? Is your son or daughter never gonna accomplish what the two athletes in the center of the arena have? Or are you just one of those still obsessed with your own glory days and you wanna feel as much apart of the action as you can?

Haha think about it, at the end of the day it is only high school KIDS and only high school wrestling... I hope somebody talks some sense into me the day I resort to booing a kid haha

eastside
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by eastside »

FoxMulder wrote:
statefarmjake808 wrote:
eastside wrote:I really didn't see anything controversial about the Corbett/Pascua match. It was a close match and the right person won. I do agree that the stall call against Pascua was off but it did not determine the match. I would have to say that the booing by the Iolani/Grappler area was very unsportsmanlike. I know someone said in an earlier blog the booing came from all corners of the arena but I disagree because it has happened before with kids associated from Grapplers. No Class....... It takes away from the great wrestling and puts the focus on the reffs. Stalemate on the edge and both wreslters did not improve their position(they actually did not move at all for atleast 15 seconds, Pascua tried for the far ankle atleast 3times but couldn't get it). Great stalemate call! How long do you want them there with no improvement? Would you have wanted them stuck in the same position for another 15 seconds or would you want them back in the center to look for another scoring opportunity. The out of bounds call also looks like the right call when Pascua turns Corbett. Corbett is completely out and Pascua's knee/foot touches out. Supporting point of both wrestlers are out. Another close but Great call! TD situation by Corbett should have been awarded earlier inbounds when he covers hips beyond reaction time but the reff held the call and awarded it on the edge when Corbett secures both legs as his supporting points are his feet not his knees and Pascua finally bears weight on his hands. TD either way and again, Great Call!!! During these situations, Booing takes place and again, no fricken class. I think officials in general from all sports can improve but to accuse an official of determing a match with a stall call is ridiculous in my opinion. Again, great match in my opinion and it was decided by the wrestlers not the official.
I'm not complaining that ppl boo'ed (everyone can do what they want) but I do think it's pretty embarrassing that ppl felt it necessary to boo high school kids.

But if your one of the adults that where involved in the booing, did you not accomplish what the two on the mat have? Is your son or daughter never gonna accomplish what the two athletes in the center of the arena have? Or are you just one of those still obsessed with your own glory days and you wanna feel as much apart of the action as you can?

Haha think about it, at the end of the day it is only high school KIDS and only high school wrestling... I hope somebody talks some sense into me the day I resort to booing a kid haha
Statefarmjake,
Not really complaining but more of some education on high school sports and sportsmanship. A bit different from professional sports but I don't think you would understand. The OIA has the logo and quote, " let the coaches coach, the players play and the officials officiate. So again, yes....... No fricken class period...........

eastside
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by eastside »

OldManJenkins wrote:That's some awesome biased take on the match! Good Call! Stall call did not turn out to be a factor but it sets the stage for a future stall call and 1 point award. Bad Call! The pair did not improve there position for 15 sec (or whatever it was) so the ref should have blown the whistle at that time, not when Pascua was coming up with the leg. Timing of the call makes it Bad Call! Take down/out of bounds call again bad decision, Pascua's knee goes down but the takedown not awarded till after out of bounds called. Award should be given at the point of criteria being met not a few seconds after when they go out of bounds and criteria no longer met. Bad Call! If you going to make a call be decisive about it not wait and contemplate it and decide yes or no, maybe, let's see and then side with the white guy. I don't think only the Iolani and Grapplers people were the only ones booing, but I guess they learned that from the eastside people.
You should really go back and watch other matches Ray/Popeye/Monopoly man has refereed, he has been pulling shady antics for years or rather decades. See the problem with politics and career politicians, same problems with career referees! :bootyshake:
OldMan Jenkins,
I think the bias falls on you either because you didn't watch the match or you just see what you want to see. Or it could be that you are really old and need glasses.

Pascua does not come up with the leg when the reff hits the stalemate. Both wrestlers at no time improve their position, Corbett with a lazy wizard and in a semi spilt and Pascua with the leg and reaching for far ankle. Again, Pascua is still on his knees and does not come up with leg. Stalemate...... Great call! The TD was awarded with Corbett still inbounds. You might not understand the rules regarding supporting points which means you don't understand that Corbett''s feet became his supporting point in that situation and not his knees. The ref does not signal out of bounds because Corbett is still inbounds and thus wrestling continues and the TD awarded as soon as Pascua's hands touch the mat. Tough call but a Takedown.... Great call! or he could have awarded it earlier inbounds which was another close call. Watch the match again please...... Again, a great match with two great wrestlers and it was decided by the wrestlers and not the official. Don't let other matches in the past he officiated determine your thinking on the outcome of this match. It was honestly a great match in my opinion.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

eastside wrote:
FoxMulder wrote:
statefarmjake808 wrote:

Statefarmjake,
Not really complaining but more of some education on high school sports and sportsmanship. A bit different from professional sports but I don't think you would understand. The OIA has the logo and quote, " let the coaches coach, the players play and the officials officiate. So again, yes....... No fricken class period...........
That's the problem, isn't it?

The weak link in that motto are certain wrestling referees. Yes. Let the players play and coaches coach. And, YES! Let the officials officiate (which implictly means, by the words "officials officiate", fairness, competence, and a respect for players playing and coaches coaching). The Corbett/Pascua took that from the coaches and players in a repeat, oft repeated, pathetic performance of stealing the spotlight from the people actually putting the work in.

Enough is enough.

The whole auditorium knew what he was doing. They were booing the referee (not the wrestlers (thatwhole auditorium loves those two kids). Loudly and clearly. Because they expected such a display from him. Don't try to deflect things away from the ref, ref.

eastside
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by eastside »

twnoexcuses wrote:
eastside wrote:
FoxMulder wrote:

Statefarmjake,

The weak link in that motto are certain wrestling referees. Yes. Let the players play and coaches coach. And, YES! Let the officials officiate (which implictly means, by the words "officials officiate", fairness, competence, and a respect for players playing and coaches coaching). The Corbett/Pascua took that from the coaches and players in a repeat, oft repeated, pathetic performance of stealing the spotlight from the people actually putting the work in.

Enough is enough.

The whole auditorium knew what he was doing. They were booing the referee (not the wrestlers (thatwhole auditorium loves those two kids). Loudly and clearly. Because they expected such a display from him. Don't try to deflect things away from the ref, ref.
I don't think I deflected anything from anyone but I do think your taking the spotlight away from the wrestlers with that comment. A great match that ended in a 2-1 victory for Corbett. Honestly, have of the people that wer booing didn't even know what they were booing about. Booing on a stalemate situation......... If you have any knowledge on wrestling or if you know Corbett's scrambling ability and skills than you would know that Corbett could have stayed in that situation as long as he wanted to. Please, for the sake of our small wrestling community, acknowledge that you understand this. Booing on a stalemate situation that already lasted for a good 15 seconds with no improvement. You fricken kidding me........ I think foxmoulder said it best, you can do what ever you want, but in that situation, half the people booing had no clue what they were booing about. I said my peace. I'm out.

eastside
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by eastside »

eastside wrote:
twnoexcuses wrote:
eastside wrote:
Statefarmjake,

Enough is enough.

I don't think I deflected anything from anyone but I do think your taking the spotlight away from the wrestlers with that comment. A great match that ended in a 2-1 victory for Corbett. Honestly, half of the people that were booing didn't even know what they were booing about. Booing on a stalemate situation......... If you have any knowledge on wrestling or if you know Corbett's scrambling ability and skills than you would know that Corbett could have stayed in that situation as long as he wanted to. Please, for the sake of our small wrestling community, acknowledge that you understand this. Booing on a stalemate situation that already lasted for a good 15 seconds with no improvement. You fricken kidding me........ I think foxmoulder said it best, you can do what ever you want, but in that situation, half the people booing had no clue what they were booing about. I said my peace. I'm out.

miyagi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by miyagi »

twnoexcuses wrote:
eastside wrote:
FoxMulder wrote:

Statefarmjake,

Enough is enough.

LAZY officiating is inexcusable! Certain refs wont expend the effort to get down on the mat, to actually see if someone is getting pinned. Or to jog around wrestlers who's bodies are blocking the view of the shoulders on the mat. By the time they decide to run around to get a better angle, the action is already over and the call missed. WEAK!

miyagi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by miyagi »

miyagi wrote:
twnoexcuses wrote:
eastside wrote:
Statefarmjake,

Enough is enough.

LAZY officiating is inexcusable! Certain refs wont expend the effort to get down on the mat, to actually see if someone is getting pinned. Or to jog around wrestlers who's bodies are blocking the view of the shoulders on the mat. By the time they decide to run around to get a better angle, the action is already over and the call missed. WEAK!
Even my 6 yr old has more common sense. If you want to see, and something is blocking your view - move.

Chinkyeyes
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Chinkyeyes »

Don't feed me that everyone was booing the ref crap because everytime Corbett got mat returned the arena went crazy, for what? Mat returns receive no points, literally everytime Corbett was up on an opportunity he got boo'd. Don't feed me that crap, you guys are really tough behind these keyboards.. Don't be sad and salty because pascua didn't pull through so you guys can dog on the OIA. My advice for all you haters on this match is be careful what you ask for! Both kids are phenomenal, stop making this more than what it is. If pascua really wanted to win he would've put up offense after he got the escape in the last period and not just tried to stall out and win by 1. Be greatful you got to see a great match by two great wrestlers!

Opihiman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Opihiman »

BrofessorX wrote:Moanalua has some of the dirtiest wrestlers in the state not to mention that they have or had a couple of assistant coaches who were accused of inappropriate conduct involving female wrestlers. 1 went to jail and the other stepped down from his position at another school and now coaches at moanalua.
Must be that you have a grudge against Moanalua trying so hard to dig up dirt. I do think your comments will be noted and in the future Moanalua wrestlers will be required to shower before every competition so that they will known as the cleanest wrestlers in the State. I think Moanalua has a great head coach in Darren Reyes and he preaches doing the right things, being respectful, and working hard. If you don't know this then you are a blindman. I'm certain that Coach Reyes thoroughly vetted his assistant coaches that you are referencing. Personally, I would have no issues or concerns having them coach my daughters.

BrofessorX
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by BrofessorX »

Opihiman wrote:
BrofessorX wrote:Moanalua has some of the dirtiest wrestlers in the state not to mention that they have or had a couple of assistant coaches who were accused of inappropriate conduct involving female wrestlers. 1 went to jail and the other stepped down from his position at another school and now coaches at moanalua.
Must be that you have a grudge against Moanalua trying so hard to dig up dirt. I do think your comments will be noted and in the future Moanalua wrestlers will be required to shower before every competition so that they will known as the cleanest wrestlers in the State. I think Moanalua has a great head coach in Darren Reyes and he preaches doing the right things, being respectful, and working hard. If you don't know this then you are a blindman. I'm certain that Coach Reyes thoroughly vetted his assistant coaches that you are referencing. Personally, I would have no issues or concerns having them coach my daughters.
Keith is that you? Out of jail already?

FoxMulder
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by FoxMulder »

Opihiman wrote:
I don't think it takes much digging and I don't think that brofessorx was trying very hard, wasn't that stuff in the news? And as far as Moanalua wrestling being dirty, from what I saw they seemed to be a little more shady then your average wrestler, in fact if I remember right the Moanalua team was involved in two incidents that where shy of a fight early in the season.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

Chinkyeyes wrote:Don't feed me that everyone was booing the ref crap because everytime Corbett got mat returned the arena went crazy, for what? Mat returns receive no points, literally everytime Corbett was up on an opportunity he got boo'd. Don't feed me that crap, you guys are really tough behind these keyboards.. Don't be sad and salty because pascua didn't pull through so you guys can dog on the OIA. My advice for all you haters on this match is be careful what you ask for! Both kids are phenomenal, stop making this more than what it is. If pascua really wanted to win he would've put up offense after he got the escape in the last period and not just tried to stall out and win by 1. Be greatful you got to see a great match by two great wrestlers!

Every time there was an airbborne mat return in the finals, there were oohs, aahs and cheering. Sometimes in the same match based on mat returns by the two wrestlers involved.

Just so happens that high flying mat returns aren't Corbett's style, so he got no cheers for executing them. It is Pascua's style, so when he did it, like just about, if not EVERY hard mat return in the finals, it elicited cheers.

People were boooing the ref. There's no question about it. It was knowledgeable booing too.

When Pascua had Corbett's leg, I was psyched to see how the scramble would finish. I had ZERO idea how it would. I remember clearly thinking, Corbett could work his wizardry and end up with a scramble take down, Pascua could finish the taked down, or they could finish out of bounds with no takedown. It was great battle at that moment.

Whoever wrote that Pascua wasn't improving his postion, or Corbett fighting back, should watch the tape. Pascua was making progress up the leg. It was a situation where Pascua had a clear advantage with both wrestlers in bounds and Pascua had a number of options to finish. Corbett, alternatively, looked like he had a counter plan. Would've been a classic finish to that segment of the match if the ref didn't insist on hogging and taking back the spotlight (the problem being that all eyes were riveted on the two wrestlers in a titanic struggle, and the ref got jealous. He knew that, at best, with both wrestlers maneuvering on the ground, the most the TV cameras would show were his shoes).

FoxMulder
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by FoxMulder »

twnoexcuses wrote:
Chinkyeyes wrote:Don't feed me that everyone was booing the ref crap because everytime Corbett got mat returned the arena went crazy, for what? Mat returns receive no points, literally everytime Corbett was up on an opportunity he got boo'd. Don't feed me that crap, you guys are really tough behind these keyboards.. Don't be sad and salty because pascua didn't pull through so you guys can dog on the OIA. My advice for all you haters on this match is be careful what you ask for! Both kids are phenomenal, stop making this more than what it is. If pascua really wanted to win he would've put up offense after he got the escape in the last period and not just tried to stall out and win by 1. Be greatful you got to see a great match by two great wrestlers!
Every time there was an airbborne mat return in the finals, there were oohs, aahs and cheering. Sometimes in the same match based on mat returns by the two wrestlers involved.

Just so happens that high flying mat returns aren't Corbett's style, so he got no cheers for executing them. It is Pascua's style, so when he did it, like just about, if not EVERY hard mat return in the finals, it elicited cheers.

People were boooing the ref. There's no question about it. It was knowledgeable booing too.

When Pascua had Corbett's leg, I was psyched to see how the scramble would finish. I had ZERO idea how it would. I remember clearly thinking, Corbett could work his wizardry and end up with a scramble take down, Pascua could finish the taked down, or they could finish out of bounds with no takedown. It was great battle at that moment.

Whoever wrote that Pascua wasn't improving his postion, or Corbett fighting back, should watch the tape. Pascua was making progress up the leg. It was a situation where Pascua had a clear advantage with both wrestlers in bounds and Pascua had a number of options to finish. Corbett, alternatively, looked like he had a counter plan. Would've been a classic finish to that segment of the match if the ref didn't insist on hogging and taking back the spotlight (the problem being that all eyes were riveted on the two wrestlers in a titanic struggle, and the ref got jealous. He knew that, at best, with both wrestlers maneuvering on the ground, the most the TV cameras would show were his shoes).
The refs were being booed because those mat returns weren't called as illigal slams \:D/ haha

eastside
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by eastside »

twnoexcuses wrote:

I guess you need to hook up with OldMan Jenkins and watch the video again because it looks like you only want to see what you want to see...... Pascua does not make any progress up Corbetts leg and if you look at his left arm/hand it never gets above Corbett's knee. His right arm/hand goes far ankle a few times and back down on the knee and at one point around his waist but never does Pascua move up at anytime...... Please believe your eyes and not continue to display your bias by only seeing what you want to see. Watch when the stalemate was called, Pascua was on his knees with his head close to the mat. On anyone else, Pascua would probably have finished but like I said to OldMan, If you know anything about Corbett's scrambling ability than you would understand they would have stayed in that position all day...... Pascua did not have any option to finish and I think the official wanted to get them back in the center before the period ended to give the wrestlers another chance at scoring. Again, and for the last time, a good and close match with the right wrestler winning and more importantly it was decided by the wrestlers.