HHSAA Semi-Final: Mililani vs. Saint Louis

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
rednblue
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

HHSAA Semi-Final: Mililani vs. Saint Louis

Post by rednblue »

Big Showdown this weekend in Hawaii Prep Football in a game that features the Mililani Trojans and the Saint Louis Crusaders. No disrespect to Waianae, but popular consensus has the Kahuku Red Raiders awaiting the winner of the featured game this friday under the lights of Aloha Stadium. Oh this is what everyone has been waiting to see- two elite quarterbacks going at it in a big time environment.

QB Matchup: Mckenzie Milton vs. Tua Tagovailoa

Mililani - The Trojans victory over Hilo provided the stage for the return of Mckenzie Milton from his injury. Despite sharing reps, Milton showed more than enough to prove that he is back and his presence boosted the Mililani offense to 62 points vs the BIIF champs. It appeared that Coach York made a point to protect his QB with a consistent flow of intermediate throws and keeping Milton in the pocket, as opposed to scrambling. I think we see Milton without limitations this week and with weapons all over the field, he is set to once again shine on the biggest stage.

Saint Louis - The next big time QB to don the Crusader helmet has arrived and has cemented himself as a gamebreaker in the ILH. Tua Tagovailoa has been able to put up points with a rocket arm and his ability to extend plays and/or take off. He has brought the Crusaders back from behind on multiple occasions this year and has the experience and poise to put on a show. This will be the biggest stage yet for the Junior QB who will be asked to out duel the reigning State OPY.

Edge: Tua Tagovailoa (by a hair)

Alone, this is pair appears to be about even. However, the skill players that Mililani possesses on offense (Malepeai, Timoteo, Ventura, Sallas) are more talented than that of the Crusaders and has been able to carry the Trojans through the OIA tournament without Milton. Though Tagovailoa hasn't exactly been playing with slouches either, but he has been working with a revolving door at RB all year due to injuries. The WR core has played solid, despite a lot of new faces to the lineup. Bottom line, Tagovailoa is more critical to the Saint Louis offense than Milton is for Mililani, and he has elevated his game to win the ILH this season.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: HHSAA Semi-Final: Mililani vs. Saint Louis

Post by huki-lau-lau »

maybe we will watch a flag football game total combine points 140
-------------------

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Picking Crusaders in this one. I think St Louis D will have an easier time slowing down Trojans than Trojan D will have slowing down Tagovailoa

RedBull
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by RedBull »

With Milton back the Trojans will be able to open up their running game more than what we saw against the Red Raiders. I'm expecting to see a couple long break through runs by the best running back in the state. I'm gonna say Mililani takes it 42-28.

rednblue
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by rednblue »

RB Matchup: Vavae Malepeai vs. Crusader RB Committee

Mililani - The Trojans has been blessed with one of the greatest running backs in Hawaii prep history in Vavae Malepeai. His ability to see the field and make countless defenders miss,while making it look smooth and effort less is something the OIA will not soon forget. The Trojans put Malepeai in the wildcat against Hilo, adding in yet another dimension to this versatile offense. He is nursing an injury coming off the Hilo game, but nothing serious enough to lessen his workload this Friday. The Crusaders should expect to defend the run to its fullest potential, Malepeai at less that 100% would be a daunting task for any defense.

Saint Louis - It has been a long season for the Crusader RB stable, the injury bug has hit the position like no other. As of late, Saitaua Lefau has been somewhat of a revelation after a rotation that has seen all RBs get a share of the workload throughout the season. Though he does have the hot hand, I have a feeling that Jahred Silofau will have a decent amount of touches vs the Trojan D. If the Crusaders want to have success on offense, they need to be able to move the ball on the ground by players not named Tua. I expect the Crusaders to rotate the backs frequently throughout the game and it will be interesting to see how often they will get the ball with inconsistent playcalling from OC Ron Lee. The Trojans coaching staff will prepare their defense against the run, especially the shovel pass that tore up Punahou in the ILH championship.

Edge: Vavae Malepeai

Regardless of what Saint Louis does on defense, something will have to give eventually, right? You can expect Malepeai to get his load of touches and to be productive with the rock. He is one of the most talented RBs I have witnessed play, and I'm sure we will not be disappointed with his play this Friday.

rednblue
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by rednblue »

WR Matchup: Mililani vs. Saint Louis

Both teams run spread offenses and both team will pass a bunch this Friday. I hope you don't work early Saturday morning because this has the potential to run late if we get into a shootout.

Mililani - The Trojans have probably the state's best receiving core this year, headlined by seniors Kalakaua Timoteo and Bryson Ventura. Timoteo has showed amazing hands, body control, and strength after the catch- he is a focal point in the Trojan offense with the ability to make tough catching and stretch the defense. Bryson Ventura has been the safety blanket for the Trojans throughout his career, and he is a secret no longer for opposing defenses. The addition of Rico Sallas and Makana Tauai to the starting lineup has allowed this passing game to pick-up where they left off last season. The receivers will be tested however, though the numbers may not reflect, the Crusader defensive backfield is no push over as some may have insinuated.

Saint Louis - The Crusaders came into the season with questions about the receiving core. Nowadays, the Crusader faithful is more at ease after an ILH slate that saw new faces step up in big ways. Drew Kobayashi was the lone returning starter and the Cal commit has become more consistent as the season has progressed, he often finds himself behind the defense with track speed but catching the rock has been an issue throughout his prep career. Lanakila Wilson has been his best when the play breaks down, coming up with big catches down the stretches of games. Ronson Young has been a constant from his slot position and Jahvin Spear has done a good job filling the void left by injured stater Leeland Oasay. This bunch has overachieved this season and it has produced an offense good enough to win the ILH championship.

Edge: Mililani

The weapons at receiver for the Mililani Trojans are proven with guys that can take short passes the distance at any time. Timoteo in one-on-one coverage is a big play waiting to happen, especially if the Trojans find themselves in the redzone. Ventura always seems to make plays at the right times and there is no sleeping on Sallas and Tauai who both had impact plays throughout they season and against Hilo.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

lol go to scoringlive.com n all the girlys that dont kno footbal predict mil win stlois n state title after that
those the same gurls said mil win oia hahaha
-------------------

KindergartenCop
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by KindergartenCop »

huki-lau-lau wrote:lol go to scoringlive.com n all the girlys that dont kno footbal predict mil win stlois n state title after that
those the same gurls said mil win oia hahaha
Kinda funny how all of them. Picks Mililani to win but vote Saint Louis higher in the polls.

Good luck to both teams

Go Crusaders.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

hawai media headover heels in luv wit da college talent on mils offense dey forget kahu got nfl talent on there d
-------------------

rednblue
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by rednblue »

Been kinda busy so I'm gonna speed through this... can't wait for this game tomorrow.

OLine Matchup:

Mililani - For a team that lost some starters up front, they seem to not have missed a step. Lead by Senior Andru Tovi the front has provided some big time numbers for its playmakers this season and I'm sure all of the QB injuries have been just a stroke of bad luck. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Marcus Mafi has been a little banged up as of late and they've been bringing over Kahewai Kaaiawaawa from his DL position to fill the void. For the Trojans sake they hope thats not the case so they can keep everyone as fresh throughout the game as possible.

Saint Louis - This squad has seemed to have matured from a an undisciplined line in the beginning of the season (highly penalized) to one of the more sound and consistent group as the season has progressed. Nate Herbig, Tytus Timoteo, and Aaron Miller have been big time players for an offense that is at its best as of late.

Edge: Mililani

DLine Matchup:

Mililani - This group definitely showed up last week against the big boys from the north shore. Tomorrow they will need to kick it into a different gear as they will face the best passing offense they've faced thus far in the Crusaders. The leader of the bunch is Kaimana Padello off the edge, whose quickness and tenacity will be key in the pass rush. As mentioned previously, Kaaiawaawa and whether he plays both ways may be a factor in how this line will handle towards the fourth.

Saint Louis - Set in a 3-4 this year, the big boys up front have been space eaters, allowing the LBs to garner most of the credit. Sam Mafua, Tristan Nichols, and team captain Tanielu Evaimalo have been key contributors this season to say the least. Mililani seemed to have struggled against a similar look that was deployed by Kahuku and there will be no dropoff in physicality either.

Edge: Saint Louis

LB Matchup:

Mililani - The improvement from the group has been leaps and bounds since the Liberty game. Depending how you look at it, effort or personnel?
Through my observation, Sophomore Jalen Olomua has had a big role in improving the run D, backed by fellow LBs Maa Tanuvasa and Aijalon Kolone-Falaniko. It will see how they will play this Run n Shoot Crusader offense, and how often they blitz.

Saint Louis - Junior Isaac Slade-Matautia is an absolute beast and will be everywhere on the field tomorrow night. Versatile and hard hitting... I think I've seen him strip balls from backs nearly every game this season. With the absence of Jordan Iosefa from a bogus suspension, does Isaac rush or cover more? We'll see. He leads some rising stars at LB for the Crusaders in Sophomore inside backers Dylan Toilolo and Noa Purcell, who will be critical in stopping Malepeai. Jayce Smalley, Anson Levi, Hunter Hoohuli and Kaimana Young will all be in the rotation as well in a deep LB core.

DB Matchup:

Mililani - Lead by Junior safety Tielu Mamea, this group has been solid this season. The film Ive seen of this D has Mamea in or near every single play. Ramsey Takadena and WR-turned-DB AJ Burris are consistent and have improved throughout the season. Again, this will be a real test for this group, who haven't faced an offense with an elite passing game. Look for the DBs to play deep and not allow Kobayashi or the others to turn scramble plays to big plays for the Crusaders.

Saint Louis:

If you told me a year ago I'd be praising the Crusaders defensive backs, I'd think you were nuts. This group is not the same from last season that saw Kanawai Noa in their nightmares. This group is good have a been through the ringer in the pass heavy ILH. Jalen Saole and Bronson Timbreza will have huge tasks in defending Timoteo on the outside, as they struggled vs. Kumoku Noa of Kamehameha. Behind them are safeties Isaiah Tufaga, Iosefo Noga, and Kainalu Paikai, who all have had big seasons and will be critical in containing the Trojan O. One thing they have done this season is force opposing QBs into turnovers and the winner of the turnover battle will win this game.

rednblue
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by rednblue »

Coaching: Rod York vs. Cal Lee

Edge: Rod York

Rod York has a experienced team, who have been in this position before. Cal Lee will go down as the best Hawaii Prep Football coach ever, but he does have brother Ron Lee calling his offensive plays. And its hard to watch sometimes lol Good luck to all tomorrow!

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

So far through 1 qtr it's been a hell of a game! :hello1: 14-14

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by reignjah11 »

Milton looks off, Tua however is locked in! Mililani needs a response or St. Louis could pull away.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

These refs are horrible

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by reignjah11 »

Uh oh, Milton headed to the locker room. Mililani in deep trouble if he doesn't return!