Is it too much to ask to consider implementing an Open Division?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Is it too much to ask to consider implementing an Open Division?

Post by unpaid »

bigD,

+1!

OIA D-II is more realistic with only four out of nine-teams making league playoffs as compared to six out of seven teams in each D-I OIA division making the playoffs. I mean,really,if six out of seven teams make OIA playoffs,then aren'T you really trying to leave no school behind....if six out seven in each division make the playoff,,,,what are you waiting for?... just let all 7 teams in both divisions make the playoffs...so no one has to feel bad that they didn't make postseason.

At least in OIA D-II you have to fight to win and get in the upper echelon to get to even league postseason..nevermind states.If you are one of the five D-II OIA schools who didn't make postseason,at least you have to really plan on how to get into the top four...like Kaimuki and Waialua might do this year...instead of saying I only have to win 1 or 2 to get into playoffs like the D-I OIA schools do.

HaterOfElitists
High-quality H20 provider

Post by HaterOfElitists »

You know who complains about Punahou and St. Louis recruiting the most? Iolani elitists that ther better than everybody else! Talk about calling the kettle black! Maybe they mad that Iolani couldn't get the kids Punahou and St. Louis did!

KindergartenCop

Post by KindergartenCop »

The OPEN DIVISION should be done in the playoffs. 6 TEAMS VOTED IN BY SPORTSWRITERS (25% weight) AND COACHES (50% weight) AND AD'S (25% weight), WITH THE OIA AND ILH CHAMPIONS HAVING FIRST ROUND BY.

They meet on the last Sunday of the regular season and vote and print on Monday who is playing for the OPEN - DIV 1 and DIV 2 championship.

I think we all can agree on 6 top teams playing for it all..

westside.gee

Post by westside.gee »

The prep bowl era was the simplest and most accurate way to crown a champion. The winner of the OIA vs. The winner of the ILH. This is not the BCS with 9 different conferences where the winners of some conferences are left out.

OIA #1 vs ILH #1 - no one is left out, if you want to be invited to the party then win your conference.

The state tournament exists to give the outer island #1's an invite to the party, this also created second chances for the OIA #2 and #3 to be invited to the party which is unfair to other conferences. Allow only 1 team from the OIA.

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

The only hard part of a 6 team playoff is trying to find #5 and #6. If it took place this season, the top 4 would be easy.....pun, stl, kahuku and mil. Now, who would be #5 and #6??? Waianae, kam, Kapolei, farrington ???.... that would be nutz to determine. I like the prep bowl better, #1 oia v #1 ilh and the game before would be #2 oia v #2 ilh, like the old days. lol. Didn't the neighbor islands have their own championship back then also?? They could hash it out and then play their #1 v Oahu #1. Do Div 2 the same way......

KindergartenCop

Post by KindergartenCop »

Dog 96707 wrote:The only hard part of a 6 team playoff is trying to find #5 and #6. If it took place this season, the top 4 would be easy.....pun, stl, kahuku and mil. Now, who would be #5 and #6??? Waianae, kam, Kapolei, farrington ???.... that would be nutz to determine. I like the prep bowl better, #1 oia v #1 ilh and the game before would be #2 oia v #2 ilh, like the old days. lol. Didn't the neighbor islands have their own championship back then also?? They could hash it out and then play their #1 v Oahu #1. Do Div 2 the same way......
This year I would pick.

1. Punahou
2. Saint Louis
3. Kahuku
4. Mililani

5. Kamehameha Kapalama
6. Farrington.