Iolani belongs in D1. Period.

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Iolani belongs in D1. Period.

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote:I think during those 7 minutes we intercepted Iolani's QB 3 times. Who knows whether that's because he's a young QB (sophomore) or because Look was trying to throw the game. Regardless, their defense played as bad as it did during that stretch because it tired out. The offense didn't put the defense in good positions and isn't Look also the team's OC? If Iolani's O plays to win--and if the QB shows improvement--the offense can score on anyone. Having guys like Pascua and Makekau can make ANY QB look good.
@gopunahou: But you have to remember that it's not enough to be able to score on any team; you have to be able to beat them. OK, Iolani has a good receiver and a good RB, as well as a fairly big O-line. Perhaps that's why they scored what, 22 pts on Punahou. But, they didn't come close to winning; that's the key. It means nothing if Iolani scores on all three of the Big Three, yet loses each game. And yes, I think Look is the OC. Even if he called for the pass those three times, he certainly didn't tell the QB to get picked-off. So, the jury is still out as to whether Look threw the game.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
gopunahou wrote:I think during those 7 minutes we intercepted Iolani's QB 3 times. Who knows whether that's because he's a young QB (sophomore) or because Look was trying to throw the game. Regardless, their defense played as bad as it did during that stretch because it tired out. The offense didn't put the defense in good positions and isn't Look also the team's OC? If Iolani's O plays to win--and if the QB shows improvement--the offense can score on anyone. Having guys like Pascua and Makekau can make ANY QB look good.
@gopunahou: But you have to remember that it's not enough to be able to score on any team; you have to be able to beat them. OK, Iolani has a good receiver and a good RB, as well as a fairly big O-line. Perhaps that's why they scored what, 22 pts on Punahou. But, they didn't come close to winning; that's the key. It means nothing if Iolani scores on all three of the Big Three, yet loses each game. And yes, I think Look is the OC. Even if he called for the pass those three times, he certainly didn't tell the QB to get picked-off. So, the jury is still out as to whether Look threw the game.
I think you can order your QB to intentionally throw INTs. Did Look do that? We'll never know. But committing 3 turnovers within 5 minutes tells me something is rotten.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
I think you can order your QB to intentionally throw INTs. Did Look do that? We'll never know. But committing 3 turnovers within 5 minutes tells me something is rotten.
@gopunahou: How can you order your QB to throw a pick? You can't be serious. If Look had done that, it would have gotten out by now.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

@ HS Football Fanatic, fact of the matter is, ain't no use speculating about it now. All that we can do is see what happens when Iolani takes on St. Louis. I honestly think Iolani will score between 15-20. They've got the potential to do that even on a good defense like STL. One thing is obvious: if St. Louis scores four or five times within 7 minutes, it'll make some heads spin.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

@gopunahou: But you have to remember that it's not enough to be able to score on any team; you have to be able to beat them. OK, Iolani has a good receiver and a good RB, as well as a fairly big O-line. Perhaps that's why they scored what, 22 pts on Punahou. But, they didn't come close to winning; that's the key. It means nothing if Iolani scores on all three of the Big Three, yet loses each game. And yes, I think Look is the OC. Even if he called for the pass those three times, he certainly didn't tell the QB to get picked-off. So, the jury is still out as to whether Look threw the game.[/quote]
I think you can order your QB to intentionally throw INTs. Did Look do that? We'll never know. But committing 3 turnovers within 5 minutes tells me something is rotten.[/quote]

@gopunahou: How can you order your QB to throw a pick? You can't be serious. If Look had done that, it would have gotten out by now.[/quote]

@HS FB Fanatic: I don't think you can order your QB to throw an interception. However, Play-calling in the 2nd half is highly suspect. Although you have everyone get their chance to touch the ball, every team's success is measured on how many times you get the ball to your star players. This is absent at Iolani. Makekau is an exceptional athlete but is mostly used for blocking and is second to the last in touches. Running game lacks variety like how it did in D2 last year. Again, if Iolani wins one game this year. It will give proven cause for the Big3 to petition against Iolani's return to D2.

As always, I welcome your feedback.

HaterOfElitists
High-quality H20 provider

Post by HaterOfElitists »

Squid Diver's got a point HS Football Fanatic. You seem to think St. Louis is infallible and a clearcut favorite to win it all. Don't take offense to his criticism of you!

HaterOfElitists

And oldnite, stop being delusional and irrational? The ILH is screwing over Iolani and has got a vendetta against them? Brother, please!

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

I believe the game will be close. Stl playing without Tua, Silofau, manalo, Slade-matautia and missing 2 starting OL to injuries against kam. Hopefully they get healthy for next weeks match up, but can't over look 'Iolani this week

HaterOfElitists

Dog 96707 wrote:I believe the game will be close. Stl playing without Tua, Silofau, manalo, Slade-matautia and missing 2 starting OL to injuries against kam. Hopefully they get healthy for next weeks match up, but can't over look 'Iolani this week
Very true that they can't overlook them.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Bullnuts808, I wonder if Iolani would hate playing in D1 so much if they had a coach like Yamashiro of Maryknoll baseball or McKnight of Mater Dei basketball.

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

gopunahou wrote:Bullnuts808, I wonder if Iolani would hate playing in D1 so much if they had a coach like Yamashiro of Maryknoll baseball or McKnight of Mater Dei basketball.
I don't think it would matter which coach but they should get one that wants to compete at the D1 level.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Iolani showed today that they CAN play with the big boys. That 28-17 score is much closer than it appears because Iolani was on the verge of taking the lead twice before turning it over. Nevertheless, I hope their players will play the rest of the season knowing they can stay with the best in the state. If they can convince Coach Look to feel the same way (that Iolani can play with the best), they can turn some heads. Next week against Kamehameha should be close. Every time they play there they give KSK a run for their money.

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

Iolani has the best coaching staff in the state. They don't have too many D-1 athletes on their team but they're coached well and their scheme fits their players.

HaterOfElitists

I wonder what happened to all those people that insisted Iolani belonged in D2 and only D2. Guess they admitted their idiocy LOL!

WhoAmI?
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by WhoAmI? »

Why are there people who think it's wrong that Iolani isn't playing in D2? Whoever got that opinion deserves to suffer viciously for it!