Iolani belongs in D1. Period.

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Iolani belongs in D1. Period.

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote:
BullNuts808 wrote:Punahou hasn't been tested. They had a weak and shorter schedule last year which prevented them from being challenged. This cost them the title. Punahou don't look as sound as they did last year. Kinda disappointing. And it just my opinion don't get emotional about it. Like everyone else here, it holds no merit. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My bad. There are only two things about a person's opinion that'd bother me: if they are forcing it on other people and insisting that it is the only that matters, or if they refuse to think for themselves. Fact is, regardless of whether we look weaker than we did last year, we'll contend. There is just too much talent and hunger to slip back into our 1997-2004 mode. And BTW, at least you ain't forcing your opinion down the throats of others. Things can change throughout the season. If we leave it at that, that'd be nice. BTW, I don't think there is a clear-cut favorite across the board this year as of now. But I do think my team is one of the five or six teams that'll contend.
@gopunahou: No question, Punahou is in the Top Five. But, I just don't think they have enough to get past St Louis. Sure, Punahou has talent and hunger, but so does St Louis.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

If St. Louis slaughters Kamehameha, I'll give you St. Louis kool-aid drinkers more respect. Deal?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

And bullnuts808, you think playing lackluster competition in the OIA Red (and preseason) will hurt Kahuku? They've looked dominant so far. I think they've played better than we and St. Louis!
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:If St. Louis slaughters Kamehameha, I'll give you St. Louis kool-aid drinkers more respect. Deal?
@gopunahou: The figure-of-speech, "drink the Kool-Aid," refers to the uncritical acceptance of a belief or opinion. For those of us who believe St Louis is the best team in the ILH, this belief is anything but uncritical. When you look at the weapons St Louis has on both O and D, it's hard not to see them winning the ILH. Regarding Punahou, I think the only thing Punahou has on St Louis is RB Taulapapa. But even there, St Louis RB Silofau is no slouch. In the ILH, I'd say Silofau is right behind Taulapapa. Then you take into account Punahou's Iolani game yesterday. If Punahou's D plays St Louis the way it did against Iolani, what do you think will happen? Can you imagine the damage Tagovailoa, Kobayashi, and Silofau will do? And on the other side of the ball, I don't think Punahou will score 59 pts on St Louis. St Louis has the best LBs in the state, for one. As for how much St Louis beats Kamehameha by, well, I don't think Kamehameha has a chance for the ILH title.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
gopunahou wrote:If St. Louis slaughters Kamehameha, I'll give you St. Louis kool-aid drinkers more respect. Deal?
@gopunahou: The figure-of-speech, "drink the Kool-Aid," refers to the uncritical acceptance of a belief or opinion. For those of us who believe St Louis is the best team in the ILH, this belief is anything but uncritical. When you look at the weapons St Louis has on both O and D, it's hard not to see them winning the ILH. Regarding Punahou, I think the only thing Punahou has on St Louis is RB Taulapapa. But even there, St Louis RB Silofau is no slouch. In the ILH, I'd say Silofau is right behind Taulapapa. Then you take into account Punahou's Iolani game yesterday. If Punahou's D plays St Louis the way it did against Iolani, what do you think will happen? Can you imagine the damage Tagovailoa, Kobayashi, and Silofau will do? And on the other side of the ball, I don't think Punahou will score 59 pts on St Louis. St Louis has the best LBs in the state, for one. As for how much St Louis beats Kamehameha by, well, I don't think Kamehameha has a chance for the ILH title.
I ain't criticizing people think St. Louis has got a better team than Punahou. I'm criticizing people who think a St. Louis ILH championship is a done deal. It is a possibility, but it AIN'T a done deal. We've got as much of a chance to win the ILH as St. Louis does or Kamehameha does or Iolani does. And HS Football Fanatic, you need to stop harping on a team's recent game and thinking it paints the entire picture of that given team. Hypothetically, if Kamehameha were to beat St. Louis tonight, would it be foolish of me to harp on it and say it exposes St. Louis's true colors?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:
I ain't criticizing people think St. Louis has got a better team than Punahou. I'm criticizing people who think a St. Louis ILH championship is a done deal. And HS Football Fanatic, you need to stop harping on a team's recent game and thinking it paints the entire picture of that given team. Hypothetically, if Kamehameha were to beat St. Louis tonight, would it be foolish of me to harp on it and say it exposes St. Louis's true colors?
@gopunahou: We didn't say St Louis winning the ILH is a "done deal." As they say, It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings, and she'll sing whenever a team mathematically sews-up the title. All I'm saying is that I think St Louis is the favorite. I'm not guaranteeing that they'll win the title. Now, if Kamehameha beats St Louis, I think that would be a major upset. And no, I don't think you'd be foolish to harp on it, were it to occur; it would stand as evidence. Every game serves as some kind of evidence.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:@gopunahou: We didn't say St Louis winning the ILH is a "done deal." As they say, It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings, and she'll sing whenever a team mathematically sews-up the title. All I'm saying is that I think St Louis is the favorite. I'm not guaranteeing that they'll win the title. Now, if Kamehameha beats St Louis, I think that would be a major upset. And no, I don't think you'd be foolish to harp on it, were it to occur; it would stand as evidence. Every game serves as some kind of evidence.
It'd be foolish to let it overshadow the other games, though. BTW, I think I misinterpreted what I said. Don't get me wrong, there are some St. Louis fans that I respect. Saynotomercs is one of them and is as passionate to his team as I am to mine. He seems to be St. Louis's version of me (don't take that as an insult, sayno).

But staying on the topic of Iolani, they've got the POTENTIAL to win one or two games against the Big 3. They showed it Friday. HS Football Fanatic, is the Farrington game out of your system? Does the Punahou game hold more water? And how can you say Makekau ain't on the same level as Kobayashi or Noa? Every good team would love to have him.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:@gopunahou: We didn't say St Louis winning the ILH is a "done deal." As they say, It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings, and she'll sing whenever a team mathematically sews-up the title. All I'm saying is that I think St Louis is the favorite. I'm not guaranteeing that they'll win the title. Now, if Kamehameha beats St Louis, I think that would be a major upset. And no, I don't think you'd be foolish to harp on it, were it to occur; it would stand as evidence. Every game serves as some kind of evidence.
It'd be foolish to let it overshadow the other games, though. BTW, I think I misinterpreted what I said. Don't get me wrong, there are some St. Louis fans that I respect. Saynotomercs is one of them and is as passionate to his team as I am to mine. He seems to be St. Louis's version of me (don't take that as an insult, sayno).

But staying on the topic of Iolani, they've got the POTENTIAL to win one or two games against the Big 3. They showed it Friday. HS Football Fanatic, is the Farrington game out of your system? Does the Punahou game hold more water? And how can you say Makekau ain't on the same level as Kobayashi or Noa? Every good team would love to have him.
@gopunahou: The reason I think Iolani isn't likely to win any games against the Big Three is their D. Their D, I think, isn't strong enough to prevent the Big Three teams from outscoring them. How does Friday's game show "potential," when Punahou outscored Iolani 59-22? Yes, it was great that Iolani scored 22 points, but they were still beaten by 37. As for Makekau, well, of course he's a good receiver. The question is: How well will he do against the D of St Louis and Kamehameha?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

gopunahou wrote:

@gopunahou: The reason I think Iolani isn't likely to win any games against the Big Three is their D. Their D, I think, isn't strong enough to prevent the Big Three teams from outscoring them. How does Friday's game show "potential," when Punahou outscored Iolani 59-22? Yes, it was great that Iolani scored 22 points, but they were still beaten by 37. As for Makekau, well, of course he's a good receiver. The question is: How well will he do against the D of St Louis and Kamehameha?
Regardless of whoever he's playing, Makekau is impossible to cover one-on-one. And when I said potential, I meant Iolani's performance from the opening kickoff to the opening minutes of the 3rd quarter. We'll never know if their defense laid down (because Look ordered them to) during those 6:48 or whether they did whatever they could but made mistake after mistake that gave us opportunities.

Squid Diver
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Squid Diver »

Fanatic is so anti Punahou its ridiculous. You have your nose so far up St. Louis you know what its laughable. Your rhetoric is biased, hyped, and opinionated. How can anyone take anything you say as half way subjective and intelligent? Your comments are always based on your affiliation on St. Louis. You must have graduated from that fine academic institution. Have you actually attended a Punahou game? Kamehameha game? Any game other than a St. Louis game?

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

gopunahou wrote:And bullnuts808, you think playing lackluster competition in the OIA Red (and preseason) will hurt Kahuku? They've looked dominant so far. I think they've played better than we and St. Louis!
I don't believe it was lackluster. Kahuku played Campbell and Kapolei. Both ranked teams in the preseason. I know rankings may not be anything but they stayed on island to play teams who faired well last year. Again, its just my unforced opinion...lol jk :lol:

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

With the way things happened tonight, Iolani may be in the same position this year that we were from 2000-04. A solid team, but nowhere near the level of KS and SL. Does that make Iolani a perfect fit for D2? No.

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

But staying on the topic of Iolani, they've got the POTENTIAL to win one or two games against the Big 3. They showed it Friday. HS Football Fanatic, is the Farrington game out of your system? Does the Punahou game hold more water? And how can you say Makekau ain't on the same level as Kobayashi or Noa? Every good team would love to have him.[/quote]

@gopunahou: The reason I think Iolani isn't likely to win any games against the Big Three is their D. Their D, I think, isn't strong enough to prevent the Big Three teams from outscoring them. How does Friday's game show "potential," when Punahou outscored Iolani 59-22? Yes, it was great that Iolani scored 22 points, but they were still beaten by 37. As for Makekau, well, of course he's a good receiver. The question is: How well will he do against the D of St Louis and Kamehameha?[/quote]
Regardless of whoever he's playing, Makekau is impossible to cover one-on-one. And when I said potential, I meant Iolani's performance from the opening kickoff to the opening minutes of the 3rd quarter. We'll never know if their defense laid down (because Look ordered them to) during those 6:48 or whether they did whatever they could but made mistake after mistake that gave us opportunities.[/quote]

I don't think Look has any influence on the defense Tengan has that covered but I did notice a dramatic change in the offense's play-calling (usually where Look has most of the control). Repetitive, passive play calling keeping the defense on the field which sealed their fate detering Iolani from staying competitive in the 2nd half. Again, not saying that Iolani would've won but just stayed competitive.
Last edited by BullNuts808 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Squid Diver wrote:

Fanatic is so anti Punahou its ridiculous. You have your nose so far up St. Louis you know what its laughable. Your rhetoric is biased, hyped, and opinionated. How can anyone take anything you say as half way subjective and intelligent? Your comments are always based on your affiliation on St. Louis. You must have graduated from that fine academic institution. Have you actually attended a Punahou game? Kamehameha game? Any game other than a St. Louis game?
@Squid Diver:
1. Who are you to tell me where my nose is? As if you know better than I where my nose is? Where is yours? No, I am not a St Louis alumnus.
2. Yes, as a matter of fact I have attended a Punahou game and a Kamehameha game.

Mods, are you monitoring these threads?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I think during those 7 minutes we intercepted Iolani's QB 3 times. Who knows whether that's because he's a young QB (sophomore) or because Look was trying to throw the game. Regardless, their defense played as bad as it did during that stretch because it tired out. The offense didn't put the defense in good positions and isn't Look also the team's OC? If Iolani's O plays to win--and if the QB shows improvement--the offense can score on anyone. Having guys like Pascua and Makekau can make ANY QB look good.