Iolani belongs in D1. Period.

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Iolani belongs in D1. Period.

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

HaterOfElitists wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Dog 96707 wrote:Iolani has the best coaching staff in the state. They don't have too many D-1 athletes on their team but they're coached well and their scheme fits their players.
@Dog 96707: OK, I don't know about that. I think St Louis' coaching staff is just as good as Iolani's,particularly when you consider head coach Lee; the guy's a legend. And isn't Passas--the QB coach--still there? I mean, Cal Lee and Vince Passas: Both of those guys are legends.
I wonder if you think St. Louis could beat De La Salle if there was a rematch. I also wonder if you think all of the coaches on STL are better than Ladouceur.

You seem to think St. Louis can do no wrong. Even hardcore St. Louis FANS like saynotomercs and rednblue are rational enough to know that they are infallible. gopunahou loves his team but hasn't come across as sounding like his team is infallible and can do no wrong. I could say the same about Kahuku supporters who know their teams got flaws.

Face it, St. Louis is not head and shoulders above the whole state. If they DO win the ILH, they might not even make it to the state title game.
@HaterOfElitists: Oh no, I'm not saying St Louis can do no wrong; I'm not even a St Louis alumnus. And yes, I recall reading posts that complain about St Louis' play-calling. Now, when it comes to those prominent mainland high-school teams, I really don't know how their coaching staffs stack-up against St Louis'. But, I am sure it's safe to say that Lee and Passas, at least, are among the best. But, all coaches are human, and no humans are infallible; I do get that.
No, St Louis is not head and shoulders above all the rest of the state's teams. We can't even be sure that they'll beat Punahou again, though I hope they do. But I think we'd have to agree that if St Louis does win the ILH, then in States they would have to be considered one of the favorites.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Considering the way this season has gone, I say give it one more year. Not only is one single year not enough at the D1 level for any team, Iolani played competitively three times (four if you count the second St. Louis game) and lost by 15 points or less in each of them. I wouldn't say that's a team that clearly belongs in D2. Another thing is they managed to stay relatively healthy and didn't suffer the amount of injuries any of the Little 3 would have had they played the Big 3 or Iolani. Third of all, they don't lose a lot of seniors. I think there were less than 10. Fourth of all, haven't the players said they love the challenge of taking on the Big 3? I haven't got a problem with them moving down after 2016. If they don't think they can hack it after 2016 or need a "break" from D1 competition, so be it. But damn everyone who thinks it is an outrage to have Iolani play the Big 3 twice. If you let them play the Little 3 twice or more, you are telling those schools that you don't care about the health of their players and the safety risks that playing Iolani presents. If Iolani played those teams twice this year, every game would be around 63-20. The ILH did a good job of eliminating blowouts. There were only two mercy-rule games this past year. Let's hope they are smart enough to let that continue next year.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HaterOfElitists
High-quality H20 provider

Post by HaterOfElitists »

If Look cries to go back to D2, he'll be doing nothing but making cowardly excuses!

HaterOfElitists

Hardly anyone is talking about Iolani or complaining about them and which division they belong in as they had in the past. Now why is that?

There are only two reasons Iolani would want to move back down: to boost their ego and knowing Punahou and St. Louis are returning a lot of key players. In any case, it'd be a cowardly move.

sideliner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by sideliner »

Curiously waiting for this thread to jump start again...

Any news on Coach Look's intentions??

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

Parents there have said that Look has informed staff that they will go back to D2 in 2017-2018. He refused to make any recruiting efforts to be competitive in D1 and wants to return. Now that hes the senior AD and Head Coach theres no one that can dispute his retreat. This is sad....he is definitely no Eddie Hamada but a still favorite w SL and Hawaii Prep World.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

So Iolani will play at D1 in 2016? If so, it's better for them to do that than go back down. They don't lose a lot of seniors and won't have a small team next year. The only way they'll get smaller than they were in 2015 is if a lot of would-be returnees suddenly quit before next season starts. They won't beat St. Louis or Punahou, but which other teams besides Kahuku will next year? I doubt that Kamehameha--given their heavy graduation losses (they lose more contributing seniors than Punahou and St. Louis do) AND coaching change--will touch them. So if it makes Iolani feel better, Kamehameha will likely struggle as badly against Punahou and St. Louis as they will (although NOBODY should sleep on Kamehameha, as they ALWAYS seem to work wonders when nobody expects anything from them--see their 2009, 2011, and 2013 teams). But with the uncertainty at KSK, Iolani might beat them at least one.

I can't honestly blame Iolani for wanting to play D2 in 2017 and beyond. After 2016, a lot of key players will depart--big players at that. Unless they field a team in 2017 or 2018 that's as big as their 2014-15 teams were, it likely won't bother me. But if Iolani chooses to take the easy way out and go back to D2, that's cheating the players, especially the many contributing members of the class of 2017 whom (I've heard from SL and HPW) would love to give it one more go at the D1 level. One thing that could help Iolani next year--should they make the decision the players seem to want--would be to have a bye once they've played the Big 3 once. Not only will that help Iolani, it'll also benefit the Big 3 and give them rest.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HaterOfElitists

There are some users--or one in particularly--that think that having Iolani play D1 is taking a shot at them! Their theory is that the ILH is trying to hurt Iolani as much as possible. Can you believe that? Believe it! Even Paul Honda takes great offense to Iolani playing in D1! Say goodbye to your credibility, Paul! What is your connection to Iolani? You didn't even graduate there! Bottom line: bringing Iolani back down hurts St. Francis, P5, and Damien. If they play Iolani, not only will they suffer losses around the lines of 63-20, they'll also suffer major injuries. Where is the compassion for those teams? Keeping Iolani in D1 is the right thing to do. Whoever thinks they should be in the same division as SF, P5, Damien, and OIA schools like Waialua, Kalani, and Anuenue needs a hug from their parents!

sideliner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by sideliner »

I actually think both opinions are wrong. Iolani doesn't belong in either D1 nor D2. Unfortunately, they fall right in the middle.

Too bad there isn't a Division 1.5

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

sideliner wrote:I actually think both opinions are wrong. Iolani doesn't belong in either D1 nor D2. Unfortunately, they fall right in the middle.

You know what it is? The ILH is too small of a league. That ain't just an Iolani problem--it's everybody's problem in the ILH. The best thing to do is to merge the ILH and the OIA but the OIA will always say "kefe them, let the ILH be small and suffer for it!" Regardless, some OIA schools are doing ILH-esque things (Mililani and Kaiser, anyone?) and making themselves look like ILH schools. OIA, don't let your bitterness and vindictiveness toward the ILH dictate everything! Stop playing the victim and just merge! And for those that think the ILH and OIA should never merge because of all kinds of idiotic excuses--go scratch yourselves!

sideliner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by sideliner »

gopunahou wrote:
sideliner wrote:I actually think both opinions are wrong. Iolani doesn't belong in either D1 nor D2. Unfortunately, they fall right in the middle.

You know what it is? The ILH is too small of a league. That ain't just an Iolani problem--it's everybody's problem in the ILH. The best thing to do is to merge the ILH and the OIA but the OIA will always say "kefe them, let the ILH be small and suffer for it!" Regardless, some OIA schools are doing ILH-esque things (Mililani and Kaiser, anyone?) and making themselves look like ILH schools. OIA, don't let your bitterness and vindictiveness toward the ILH dictate everything! Stop playing the victim and just merge! And for those that think the ILH and OIA should never merge because of all kinds of idiotic excuses--go scratch yourselves!
Sad because I don't think they will ever change their minds. What are their excuses? Do they have any validity?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

They claim there is a huge gap between resources and the fact that ILH schools can accept kids all over the island (and in some cases off-island). The good news is more people are calling for a merger, although I doubt they are OIA apologists.

sideliner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by sideliner »

Now that's lame. The State Champ has been an OIA school 7 out of the last 10 years. Doesn't that tell us that they do just fine with kids from their home neighborhoods? I actually think they have an advantage! OIA schools have kids that have grown up together playing Pop Warner together for 10 years. They have bonds that most ILH kids don't have.

Until the merger happens, if it ever happens...I'd really like to see Iolani play St. Francis and Damien pre-season. Pac-5 not so much because yes, Iolani will dominate them, but St. Francis and Damien might just give Iolani a run for their money!!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

sideliner wrote:Now that's lame. The State Champ has been an OIA school 7 out of the last 10 years. Doesn't that tell us that they do just fine with kids from their home neighborhoods? I actually think they have an advantage! OIA schools have kids that have grown up together playing Pop Warner together for 10 years. They have bonds that most ILH kids don't have.

Until the merger happens, if it ever happens...I'd really like to see Iolani play St. Francis and Damien pre-season. Pac-5 not so much because yes, Iolani will dominate them, but St. Francis and Damien might just give Iolani a run for their money!!
Maybe in 2017 and beyond but not next year. Iolani's got a better chance of beating KSK than losing to them (SF and DAM) next year.

If Iolani is playing D1 next year, two things that could happen are playing teams like Castle and Leilehua in the preseason and then having a bye after their first 3 ILH games.

In any case, if Iolani plays at D2 next year, that's screwing the many seniors who wish to play at D1. I think Bullnuts808 will agree that that's the opinion of the football-playing members of the Iolani class of 2017. Unfortunately, Look sounds as if he can't wait to go back to D2 to boost his ego against weaker teams.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

If Hhsaa puts in a shot clock, then Iolani would go to D2 basketball. I hate watching stall ball.