Iolani belongs in D1. Period.

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Re: Iolani belongs in D1. Period.

Post by BullNuts808 »

Just wanted to say, I am in agreement that Iolani can stay in D1 and would love to see them stay and compete. However, I am one who welcomes opposing ideas and I can do without the name-calling and insults.

With this said, I can understand why some feel Iolani should go back to D2. Most who favor this are the majority of the smaller players at Iolani and their parents. If I had a kid that was 5'1" and 125 lbs soaken-wet then I would obviously feel the same. D2 would give my kid the best chance to play.

Iolani will return to D2 strictly because they know that in order to stay competitive they would have to drastically change their enrollment procedures. The coach knows this and will make every attempt to lose this year. He does not want anything to change.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

BullNuts808 wrote:Just wanted to say, I am in agreement that Iolani can stay in D1 and would love to see them stay and compete. However, I am one who welcomes opposing ideas and I can do without the name-calling and insults.

With this said, I can understand why some feel Iolani should go back to D2. Most who favor this are the majority of the smaller players at Iolani and their parents. If I had a kid that was 5'1" and 125 lbs soaken-wet then I would obviously feel the same. D2 would give my kid the best chance to play.

Iolani will return to D2 strictly because they know that in order to stay competitive they would have to drastically change their enrollment procedures. The coach knows this and will make every attempt to lose this year. He does not want anything to change.
As I feared. I wonder if HS Football Fanatic will agree with you on that.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HighFlyer
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HighFlyer »

If Look loses ON PURPOSE to prove that Iolani belongs in D2, that's screwing everybody over. I'd hate to be an Iolani player that thinks it HELPS to play the Big 3. I know there are some that feel that way. Not everyone can feel the same way Look does, can they?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

oldnite wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
oldnite wrote:Ok I'm back. So who's the Crackpot. I'm just stating numbers and facts. I got plenty friends with kids at the three school so I watch a lot of ILH football. Discussion with you is like fighting with the ladies at work. No can reason with irrational and emotional so maybe I should just stop. The playoff idea is stupid. Why not just have any of the ILH d1 tournament non qualifiers play in the d2 ILH tournament. Oops it might be punahou sometime. It wasn't too long ago that the ILH d1 and d2 played one game against the teams in the other division and two games in their own division for a total of seven ILH games. I'm not against Iolani playing the d1 teams like before but for a team like Iolani playing two rounds against the d1 is hard. Some my punahou nonelitist friends agree that Iolani is overmatched. Iolani has been a spoiler for the big guys but they only beat punahou one time in recent history. One year that they beat kam, they, kam went on to win the d1 ILH. Don't hear them crying. Hey, but do I know. I'm just an old public school product.
@oldnite: You shouldn't feel that you're inferior as a public-school product. There are outstanding public-school products, and there are private-school products who are failures. I think you come across as fair and level-headed.

@HS Football Fanatic: You don't have to worry about me, but thanks. I'm from an era when parents didn't send their kids to private schools like today. Schools like Kailua and Castle had over 700 kids in each grade and had no problems fielding football teams. They produced a lot of college players and some pro guys too. It was always a good fight between the three east side school. If you won at Kahuku you could expect your bus to get stoned. Pelted by rocks that is.

Reading these comments by some of the posters makes me laugh and maybe feel a little sorry for these guys. They are still hurting from something that happened to them in high school?! Name calling, how sophomoric.

I'm pretty sure my public school education from my era is at least as good as theirs. And I'm pretty sure that my education beyond high school is as good or significantly better.
@oldnite: Yes, I remember the days when it wasn't just Kahuku who threw rocks; it was Farrington and Waianae, too.
And yes, there seems to be a problem with some guys calling other guys rude names on this thread. A year or two ago, the Mods almost shut this site down because of that.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

BullNuts808 wrote:Just wanted to say, I am in agreement that Iolani can stay in D1 and would love to see them stay and compete. However, I am one who welcomes opposing ideas and I can do without the name-calling and insults.

@BullNuts808: You will find that I, for one, do not find it necessary to call other guys rude names. Too bad we can't say the same for all the guys on this thread.
Anyway, I find it hard to believe that Look would purposely throw games just to get back to D2. He's an Iolani alumnus, and I can't see him purposely and intentionally subjecting his alma mater to defeat. I think the fact of the matter is that Iolani is likely to lose every game in ILH D1, despite Look's best efforts. Iolani may have some size on the line this year, but that's about all you can say for them. Yet, some guys think he's supposed to be competitive in ILH D1 regardless. Never mind that Iolani got blown-out by Farrington. Never mind that Farrington is ranked below the ILH Big Three. Never mind Iolani's 9-12 enrollment. Never mind the size (in terms of number of players) of Iolani's roster. All of that doesn't matter, apparently.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HaterOfElitists
High-quality H20 provider

Post by HaterOfElitists »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: @oldnite: Yes, I remember the days when it wasn't just Kahuku who threw rocks; it was Farrington and Waianae, too.
And yes, there seems to be a problem with some guys calling other guys rude names on this thread. A year or two ago, the Mods almost shut this site down because of that.
That happened because of a user named Infidel. He was obsessed with Punahou and called out anyone that disagreed with him. He couldn't take the opinions of others and threw a fit any time disagreed with him. He thought his opinion about football was the only one that mattered, told anyone that disagreed with him that they knew nothing about football, and loved to dish it but couldn't take it to save his life. I hope there aren't people here protecting him. I hope SH has banned him for life because there is no place for his kind here!
Last edited by HaterOfElitists on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HaterOfElitists wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote: @oldnite: Yes, I remember the days when it wasn't just Kahuku who threw rocks; it was Farrington and Waianae, too.
That happened because of a user named Infidel. He was obsessed with Punahou and called out anyone that disagreed with him. He couldn't take the opinions of others and threw a fit any time disagreed with him. He thought his opinion about football was the only one that mattered, told anyone that disagreed with him that they knew nothing about football, and loved to dish it but couldn't take it to save his life. I hope there aren't people here protecting him. I hope SH has banned him for life because there is no place for his kind here!

And rankings mean nothing, HS Football Fanatic! Neither does one game! Stop being so gullible!
@HaterOfElitists: Yes, I remember Infidel. Tell you what: Take a look at this thread from the first page, and see if you can't detect some "Infidel-ish" posts. Hope the Mods don't have to get-down again.
OK, so Iolani might not lose to the Big Three, 65-0. So, if they lose 28-0, that's OK?
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HaterOfElitists

HaterOfElitists wrote:

And rankings mean nothing, HS Football Fanatic! Neither does one game! Stop being so gullible!
@HaterOfElitists: Yes, I remember Infidel. Tell you what: Take a look at this thread from the first page, and see if you can't detect some "Infidel-like" guys. Hope the Mods don't have to get-down again.
Finding one is harder than finding a needle in a haystack. Infidel belongs in Guantanamo for everything stupid he said. If people here want the HS forums to remain open, ban Infidel and any other SH he's used here--there've been many. Oh, and did I mention he posted that African-Americans and Polynesians don't belong at Punahou? That ain't racist is it?

HaterOfElitists

And rankings mean nothing, HS Football Fanatic! Neither does one game! Stop being so gullible! You make it sound like Iolani will lose every game against the Big 3 65-0! Give me a break! It'll be much closer than that! Punahou clobbered St. Louis by 50 points last year. Did that game say anything about St. Louis? I didn't think so so stop acting like one measly game and biased rankings mean anything!

Some idiots think Iolani belongs in D2. Never mind that they haven't lost to a D2 ILH team since 2007. Never mind that they beat ILH D1 teams in 2008, 2009, and 2010. Never mind that they are much bigger than the real ILH D2 schools. Never mind that they field teams with about 50-60 kids. Never mind that they've got 1200 HS students. Never mind that anyone who thinks they belong D2 deserved to be banned for having such an outlandish opinion!

HaterOfElitists

I guess HS Football Fanatic has accepted the fact that it's foolish to suggest Iolani belongs in D2 because of its loss to Farrington and the rankings.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HaterOfElitists wrote:I guess HS Football Fanatic has accepted the fact that it's foolish to suggest Iolani belongs in D2 because of its loss to Farrington and the rankings.
@HaterOfElitists: Well, that loss is not the only thing. I think you have to look at the evidence in its entirety. St Louis lost badly to Punahou in the two teams' first game against each other last year. But, Punahou was ranked higher then, than Farrington is now. Still: Look where St Louis and Iolani are in the rankings today. The Star-Advertiser has them ranked #1, while Iolani isn't even ranked. Look at the size and talent of football players that St Louis and Iolani have each year. Look at the number of players on each team's roster. Try looking at all those factors over a sizable period of time: Let's say, over the past ten years. Let's put it this way: While it's a slam-dunk that St Louis is truly D1, it's not a slam-dunk at all that Iolani is truly D1. How's that? Look at the totality of the evidence.

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

@BullNuts808: You will find that I, for one, do not find it necessary to call other guys rude names. Too bad we can't say the same for all the guys on this thread.
Anyway, I find it hard to believe that Look would purposely throw games just to get back to D2. He's an Iolani alumnus, and I can't see him purposely and intentionally subjecting his alma mater to defeat. I think the fact of the matter is that Iolani is likely to lose every game in ILH D1, despite Look's best efforts. Iolani may have some size on the line this year, but that's about all you can say for them. Yet, some guys think he's supposed to be competitive in ILH D1 regardless. Never mind that Iolani got blown-out by Farrington. Never mind that Farrington is ranked below the ILH Big Three. Never mind Iolani's 9-12 enrollment. Never mind the size (in terms of number of players) of Iolani's roster. All of that doesn't matter, apparently.
HS FB Fanatic - I am in agreement with you. What I wrote is hard to believe but watched the Iolani vs. Farrington Game on Hawaii Prep World. There were some uncommon things I noticed about the game. Iolani was persistent on running the ball when you know that Farrington is a bigger, stronger team especially in the trenches. Why would you plan a running scheme when normally Iolani is normally passing team? Or at least change it up. And when passing, why would you change QBs every series? Its extremely difficult to develop a adequate passing game when you do this. To me, there were definitely "questionable" calls made by the coaching staff. Parents there say that Look has removed himself from the play calling this year. This is a first, they say. Also, I noticed that there were little attempts to get the ball to Iolani's top receiver, Makekau. He didn't seemed to be covered most of the time. Most schools form their offenses (and defenses) around the strength of their playmakers. This is common practice. Again, I NOT saying that Iolani would have won but I think they definitely could've been more competitive just as Moanalua was.

I definitely hope I'm wrong on this one. Like @haterOfElitists mentioned, if its true, this is a tragedy and would be great disservice for the Iolani players especially this year's seniors but I wouldn't put my theory passed their head coach.

HaterOfElitists

HaterOfElitists wrote:I guess HS Football Fanatic has accepted the fact that it's foolish to suggest Iolani belongs in D2 because of its loss to Farrington and the rankings.
@HaterOfElitists: Well, that loss is not the only thing. I think you have to look at the evidence in its entirety. St Louis lost badly to Punahou in the two teams' first game against each other last year. But, Punahou was ranked higher then, than Farrington is now. Still: Look where St Louis and Iolani are in the rankings today. The Star-Advertiser has them ranked #1, while Iolani isn't even ranked. Look at the size and talent of football players that St Louis and Iolani have each year. Look at the number of players on each team's roster. Try looking at all those factors over a sizable period of time: Let's say, over the past ten years. Let's put it this way: While it's a slam-dunk that St Louis is truly D1, it's not a slam-dunk at all that Iolani is truly D1. How's that? Look at the totality of the evidence.
Rankings mean NOTHING. They are NOT evidence! Stop putting so much stock into them because it hurts your credibility!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HaterOfElitists wrote:
Rankings mean NOTHING. They are NOT evidence! Stop putting so much stock into them because it hurts your credibility!
@HaterOfElitists: Can't understand what makes you say that. Didn't I say that we have to look at the totality
of the evidence? That means, look at everything, not only rankings. Also, I would think that a person who puts little stock in the rankings, would lose more credibility than one who regards rankings. After all, sports experts vote on those rankings. It's not like those rankings are pulled out of a hat. I don't see how you can say rankings are "NOT evidence!" Almost anything can be evidence.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Punahou is turning on against Iolani today, but the score is misleading. They gave us a hell of a game today. It sure as hell hurts the case of those that think Iolani's true place is in D2. I don't think today's game will be an aberration or anomaly either. They are giving us a game and will give everybody in the ILH a game. Yes, they'll lose some games by 30+ points, but will that be the norm and enough to justify their presence in D2? I doubt it. I'm down with the idea of Iolani playing cupcakes in the preseason (or one game against somebody like Castle/Kailua/Aiea to prep for ILH play), then taking on the Big 3 2x, then playing in the D2 tournament. Maybe playing one of the Big 3 (which happened 25 years ago when they played us 3x) is going too far, but so is Iolani playing somebody like Pac-Five or St. Francis 3x. And consider this--it HELPS Iolani to play 3 or 4 games against top-notch competition. Don't you think it's factored into their D2 playoff performances? I think there'll be two games or more where Iolani comes within 15 points of the Big 3. They'll show somebody that if you sleep on them, they'll make you pay.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!