Iolani belongs in D1. Period.

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Iolani belongs in D1. Period.

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

BullNuts808 wrote:@HS Football Fanatic (from unpaid's D1 thread)

The question is: Would York leave Mililani to coach Iolani? Yes, I know he's an Iolani alumnus. But I have to believe that he'll have a lot more football talent at Mililani than he would at Iolani. Also, is there any guarantee that Iolani would stay in D1? York may be a good coach, but he's not a magician. If he can't recruit enough football talent to Iolani, how will he fare each year against the ILH Big Three? By contrast, can you imagine Mililani ever dropping down to D2? I can't. Also, Mililani's football games are often on TV, because Mililani is a strong OIA D1 school; York gets to showcase himself and his team. Iolani's football games are rarely on TV. Finally, the question arises: Is York a better coach than Look? I personally don't know. Both have done well at their respective schools .

I agree with you about York. He would have to give up a lot by leaving Mililani (but even Matt Wright would be a good candidate). My point would lean more towards changing leadership with Iolani's Football Program. I understand most focus their dislikes towards Iolani as a whole inciting a mystery group of advocates that intentionally keep Iolani in D2 describing them with highly intelligent words like "idiots". I am not an alumnus but have strong relationships with a lot athletes there (Scanlan, Tufonos, Mateaki, Pei, Kealoha) and to blanket Iolani with words as such would be disrespectful. I wouldn't describe any team and/or supporters with something that offensive.

As I said before, only one person benefits from Iolani staying in D2. Only one person with the authority to petition to go back to D2 or stay in D1. There's no one telling this guy to do anything. Its just him. When you are at the twilight of your career its easy to become complacent and go with whatever's convenient even though he's fully capable of being D1 competitive.
@BullNuts808: Thank-you for calling-out people for using insulting epithets. This message-board shouldn't devolve into the equivalent of a boys' bathroom wall at a high school. The vast majority of posters on this message-board are adults, and should comport themselves accordingly.

I had mentioned in several posts that I'm no fan of Iolani, so it might seem ironic that I'm challenging the claim that they belong in D1. I've done more thinking about it, and I've come to the conclusion that perhaps I'm feeling a little sorry for them after they were massacred by Farrington. Perhaps it's the impression of Iolani football teams that I have in mind: Almost always small physically, and usually small in numbers.
I think when we look at it, Look might be the least-fortunate coach in ILH D1 football. Compared to the coaches of the Big Three, Look seems clearly behind the 8-ball. His school simply doesn't have the numbers to guarantee competitiveness. Personally, I don't blame him for wanting to stay in D2. And look at the lickings his team got from Farrington. Was Look supposed to have enjoyed that? I'm willing to cut the man some slack. If he has become complacent, well, should he retire? He's a '78 Iolani grad, which makes him what, 55 this year? I'm just not so sure that Iolani is "fully capable of being competitive" with the Big Three. In basketball? Yes. In baseball? Yes. In football? I would say, sometimes.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:

The question is: Would York leave Mililani to coach Iolani? Yes, I know he's an Iolani alumnus. But I have to believe that he'll have a lot more football talent at Mililani than he would at Iolani. Also, is there any guarantee that Iolani would stay in D1? York may be a good coach, but he's not a magician. If he can't recruit enough football talent to Iolani, how will he fare each year against the ILH Big Three? By contrast, can you imagine Mililani ever dropping down to D2? I can't. Also, Mililani's football games are often on TV, because Mililani is a strong OIA D1 school; York gets to showcase himself and his team. Iolani's football games are rarely on TV. Finally, the question arises: Is York a better coach than Look? I personally don't know. Both have done well at their respective schools .

I agree with you about York. He would have to give up a lot by leaving Mililani (but even Matt Wright would be a good candidate). My point would lean more towards changing leadership with Iolani's Football Program. I understand most focus their dislikes towards Iolani as a whole inciting a mystery group of advocates that intentionally keep Iolani in D2 describing them with highly intelligent words like "idiots". I am not an alumnus but have strong relationships with a lot athletes there (Scanlan, Tufonos, Mateaki, Pei, Kealoha) and to blanket Iolani with words as such would be disrespectful. I wouldn't describe any team and/or supporters with something that offensive.

As I said before, only one person benefits from Iolani staying in D2. Only one person with the authority to petition to go back to D2 or stay in D1. There's no one telling this guy to do anything. Its just him. When you are at the twilight of your career its easy to become complacent and go with whatever's convenient even though he's fully capable of being D1 competitive.
@BullNuts808: Thank-you for calling-out people for using insulting epithets. This message-board shouldn't devolve into the equivalent of a boys' bathroom wall at a high school. The vast majority of posters on this message-board are adults, and should comport themselves accordingly.

I had mentioned in several posts that I'm no fan of Iolani, so it might seem ironic that I'm challenging the claim that they belong in D1. I've done more thinking about it, and I've come to the conclusion that perhaps I'm feeling a little sorry for them after they were massacred by Farrington. Perhaps it's the impression of Iolani football teams that I have in mind: Almost always small physically, and usually small in numbers.
I think when we look at it, Look might be the least-fortunate coach in ILH D1 football. Compared to the coaches of the Big Three, Look seems clearly behind the 8-ball. His school simply doesn't have the numbers to guarantee competitiveness. Personally, I don't blame him for wanting to stay in D2. And look at the lickings his team got from Farrington. Was Look supposed to have enjoyed that? I'm willing to cut the man some slack. If he has become complacent, well, should he retire? He's a '78 Iolani grad, which makes him what, 55 this year? I'm just not so sure that Iolani is "fully capable of being competitive" with the Big Three. In basketball? Yes. In baseball? Yes. In football? I would say, sometimes.
The 1999 team was competitive with the Big 3. They were 1-5 against them but kept it close. We ain't talking wins we are talking being competitive with them. Don't forget that the last time a TRUE ILH D2 team beat Iolani was 2007. Between then and now, there have been four Iolani victories over the Big 3. That ought to tell you something. The gap between Iolani and the true ILH D2 teams is much wider than the gap between Iolani and the Big 3. And yet, Coach Look cries that Iolani is the only team that's playing teams it shouldn't be playing. Give me a break! The current score of the Kahuku-McKinley game is 57-0 before halftime. Chances are, Iolani would clobber most OIA D1 teams and would beat McKinley 56-0.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

gopunahou wrote:

The 1999 team was competitive with the Big 3. They were 1-5 against them but kept it close. We ain't talking wins we are talking being competitive with them. Don't forget that the last time a TRUE ILH D2 team beat Iolani was 2007. Between then and now, there have been four Iolani victories over the Big 3. That ought to tell you something. The gap between Iolani and the true ILH D2 teams is much wider than the gap between Iolani and the Big 3. And yet, Coach Look cries that Iolani is the only team that's playing teams it shouldn't be playing. Give me a break! The current score of the Kahuku-McKinley game is 57-0 before halftime. Chances are, Iolani would clobber most OIA D1 teams and would beat McKinley 56-0.
@gopunahou - I think Iolani lost to Kauai, a D2 team, in 2013 booting them out of the championship. Look wants to go back but any above average coach could develop a D1 program within a couple of years providing more avenues for athletes to get to college. I am intrigued by your previous comment indicating that something is "fishy" about the loss or future losses this year. I'm not saying that they would've won the game against Farrington but they could've been more competitive. I am interested in watching how Iolani does this year bc parents there mentioned that Look's intention to return to D2 next year. If this is true, I feel for the athletes voted to go up. Iolani has good athletes and one of them is Makekau. He is one of the best in the state & can compete but is used for blocking and gets hardly get any passes. I think it would make sense to get the ball to your star player just as every other team does. With this said, I agree with your comment and be the first to call foul if all games from this point are blowouts. Its my strong belief that Iolani can definitely be competitive but those responsible to make the difference choose not to.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:

@gopunahou: Well, I mean, the vast majority of D1 schools might whip McKinley 56-0. I don't think McKinley is a very good measuring stick; they're having a terrible season, and you have to feel for them. I agree that Look is wrong when he says Iolani is the only team set-up for mismatches. Obviously, he should talk to McKinley coach Cantiberos. Having said all that, my mind goes back to the Farrington / Iolani game. Farrington is rated below the ILH Big Three. So: How competitve will Iolani be against the Big Three? Did Farrington run-up the score? Sure looks like it, though I have a hard time imagining Coach Okimoto doing something like that. And don't tell me Look schemed to let his team get steamrolled. There's no way I can believe he would purposely allow himself (as coach), his team, and his alma mater to be embarrassed, just to convince people that Iolani belongs in D2. I don't think he--or any coach--would stoop that low to promote that particular agenda, especially when he's coaching his alma mater.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:@gopunahou: Well, I mean, the vast majority of D1 schools might whip McKinley 56-0. I don't think McKinley is a very good measuring stick; they're having a terrible season, and you have to feel for them. I agree that Look is wrong when he says Iolani is the only team set-up for mismatches. Obviously, he should talk to McKinley coach Cantiberos. Having said all that, my mind goes back to the Farrington / Iolani game. Farrington is rated below the ILH Big Three. So: How competitve will Iolani be against the Big Three? Did Farrington run-up the score? Sure looks like it, though I have a hard time imagining Coach Okimoto doing something like that. And don't tell me Look schemed to let his team get steamrolled. There's no way I can believe he would purposely allow himself (as coach), his team, and his alma mater to be embarrassed, just to convince people that Iolani belongs in D2. I don't think he--or any coach--would stoop that low to promote that particular agenda, especially when he's coaching his alma mater.
Rankings hardly matter, #1, so you shouldn't put much stock into them. And #2, if Iolani does lose badly against the Big 3, it'll only prove that three of them are among the top five teams in the state. And if Look is in love with playing at D2, I wouldn't put it past him to let the Big 3 walk all over them. The fact will always remain: nobody's provided good justification for Iolani going back to D2 because there is none. Finding one is harder than finding a needle in a haystack (or finding a trance song you've heard but don't know the name of). Iolani's never lost as many guys to injury (against the Big 3) as Pac-Five, St. Francis, and Damien have, so don't give me the safety excuse. If Iolani loses 20 guys or more to serious injuries against the Big 3, I'll consider changing my opinion. But that's got as much of a chance of happening as pigs flying. Iolani's never had serious injury problems against the Big 3, so what makes anyone think that'll change with more games against them?
Last edited by gopunahou on Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

BullNuts808 wrote:@gopunahou - I think Iolani lost to Kauai, a D2 team, in 2013 booting them out of the championship. Look wants to go back but any above average coach could develop a D1 program within a couple of years providing more avenues for athletes to get to college. I am intrigued by your previous comment indicating that something is "fishy" about the loss or future losses this year. I'm not saying that they would've won the game against Farrington but they could've been more competitive. I am interested in watching how Iolani does this year bc parents there mentioned that Look's intention to return to D2 next year. If this is true, I feel for the athletes voted to go up. Iolani has good athletes and one of them is Makekau. He is one of the best in the state & can compete but is used for blocking and gets hardly get any passes. I think it would make sense to get the ball to your star player just as every other team does. With this said, I agree with your comment and be the first to call foul if all games from this point are blowouts. Its my strong belief that Iolani can definitely be competitive but those responsible to make the difference choose not to.
Very true. It'd be cowardly of Look to want to go back to D2. And I was talking about ILH games against D2 teams that Iolani played. Their last loss against a true ILH D2 team came in 2007. That Kauai loss proved nothing in my opinion. I also don't think Iolani lost too many guys to injuries against Farrington, if at all. Every team experiences bad losses. My team has. Look at 2002--we lost by two games by 50 and 45 points respectively and never complained about that. Iolani will lose some bad games due to their schedule, but does that justify them coming back to D2? Everyone should know what the answer is to that.

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

gopunahou wrote:
BullNuts808 wrote:@gopunahou - I think Iolani lost to Kauai, a D2 team, in 2013 booting them out of the championship. Look wants to go back but any above average coach could develop a D1 program within a couple of years providing more avenues for athletes to get to college. I am intrigued by your previous comment indicating that something is "fishy" about the loss or future losses this year. I'm not saying that they would've won the game against Farrington but they could've been more competitive. I am interested in watching how Iolani does this year bc parents there mentioned that Look's intention to return to D2 next year. If this is true, I feel for the athletes voted to go up. Iolani has good athletes and one of them is Makekau. He is one of the best in the state & can compete but is used for blocking and gets hardly get any passes. I think it would make sense to get the ball to your star player just as every other team does. With this said, I agree with your comment and be the first to call foul if all games from this point are blowouts. Its my strong belief that Iolani can definitely be competitive but those responsible to make the difference choose not to.
Very true. It'd be cowardly of Look to want to go back to D2. And I was talking about ILH games against D2 teams that Iolani played. Their last loss against a true ILH D2 team came in 2007. That Kauai loss proved nothing in my opinion. I also don't think Iolani lost too many guys to injuries against Farrington, if at all. Every team experiences bad losses. My team has. Look at 2002--we lost by two games by 50 and 45 points respectively and never complained about that. Iolani will lose some bad games due to their schedule, but does that justify them coming back to D2? Everyone should know what the answer is to that.
Just one win this year will allow the Big3 to contest Iolani's departure and Cal Lee has always been a strong advocate to keeping ILH D1 a four team league.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

BullNuts808 wrote:
gopunahou wrote:
Just one win this year will allow the Big3 to contest Iolani's departure and Cal Lee has always been a strong advocate to keeping ILH D1 a four team league.
@BullNuts808: But Lee can't afford to throw a game just to keep Iolani in D1; he can't afford any losses in the ILH if he wants St Louis to take the title from Punahou. And even if Lee did have the luxury of throwing a game, Look would be just as intent on losing the game, if he wants to get back to D2 as badly as some guys on this thread say. I don't see Iolani winning any games in ILH D1 this year.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:@BullNuts808: But Lee can't afford to throw a game just to keep Iolani in D1; he can't afford any losses in the ILH if he wants St Louis to take the title from Punahou. And even if Lee did have the luxury of throwing a game, Look would be just as intent on losing the game, if he wants to get back to D2 as badly as some guys on this thread say. I don't see Iolani winning any games in ILH D1 this year.
If they don't, it won't be because they belong in D2. It'll be because KS, Pun, and SL are too strong. We were 0-6 against SL and KS from 2000 to 2002. Did anyone suggest that we move down to D2? Iolani might lose every game against the Big 3 but won't suffer serious injuries the way St. Francis, Damien, and Pac-Five would. And yes, Iolani would clobber St. Francis this year and probably Damien. And no, Iolani won't lose every game against the Big 3 by 30 or more points. Look will urge the ILH to move Iolani back to D2. Don't listen to him and feed his ego. The dude makes OJ Simpson look humble!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:@BullNuts808: But Lee can't afford to throw a game just to keep Iolani in D1; he can't afford any losses in the ILH if he wants St Louis to take the title from Punahou. And even if Lee did have the luxury of throwing a game, Look would be just as intent on losing the game, if he wants to get back to D2 as badly as some guys on this thread say. I don't see Iolani winning any games in ILH D1 this year.
If they don't, it won't be because they belong in D2. It'll be because KS, Pun, and SL are too strong. We were 0-6 against SL and KS from 2000 to 2002. Did anyone suggest that we move down to D2? Iolani might lose every game against the Big 3 but won't suffer serious injuries the way St. Francis, Damien, and Pac-Five would. And yes, Iolani would clobber St. Francis this year and probably Damien. And no, Iolani won't lose every game against the Big 3 by 30 or more points. Look will urge the ILH to move Iolani back to D2. Don't listen to him and feed his ego. The dude makes OJ Simpson look humble!
@gopunahou: I'm starting to wonder whether Iolani might be able to upset Kamehameha once. The thing about Kamehameha is, they can't run. Also, their secondary is suspect. Yet, their D-line is probably the best in the ILH. No, I guess Iolani won't be able to upset them.
Have you considered that the reason no one would say Punahou should drop down to D2, is their enrollment? I mean, Punahou isn't D2 in any sport, right? I don't think you can compare Punahou to Iolani as far as football is concerned. That's why Iolani was in D2 for so long, while Punahou never was. It's about enrollment, in this case. That doesn't mean Iolani can never have strong football teams, just as it doesn't mean Punahou can never have weak football teams.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

gopunahou wrote:
@gopunahou: I'm starting to wonder whether Iolani might be able to upset Kamehameha once. The thing about Kamehameha is, they can't run. Also, their secondary is suspect. Yet, their D-line is probably the best in the ILH. No, I guess Iolani won't be able to upset them.
Have you considered that the reason no one would say Punahou should drop down to D2, is their enrollment? I mean, Punahou isn't D2 in any sport, right? I don't think you can compare Punahou to Iolani as far as football is concerned. That's why Iolani was in D2 for so long, while Punahou never was. It's about enrollment, in this case. That doesn't mean Iolani can never have strong football teams, just as it doesn't mean Punahou can never have weak football teams.
Yeah, we've got a big enrollment. But Iolani ain't as small as Look likes to say. And as for enrollment, I've never heard Kailua beg to play D2 teams and avoid the likes of Farrington.

There is no justification for Iolani being in D2 and playing teams like Anuenue. None. Finding a justification for slavery is easier than finding a justification for Iolani playing in D2. Wait, that's hitting below the belt. Finding a justification for reopening Guantanamo and making people suffer there is easier than justifying Iolani's presence in D2.
Last edited by gopunahou on Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou: But Kailua's enrollment is larger than Iolani's (minus K-8, of course), right? The only OIA D1 school that could ask to be dropped to D2 in football--based on enrollment--is Kahuku, and you see how absurd that would be, right?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:@gopunahou: But Kailua's enrollment is larger than Iolani's (minus K-8, of course), right? The only OIA D1 school that could ask to be dropped to D2 in football--based on enrollment--is Kahuku, and you see how absurd that would be, right?
I don't think it is. And keep in mind, it can vary sometimes.

I hate to repeat myself, but trying to justify Iolani's presence in D2 is harder than trying to justify making people suffer at Guantanamo!

If you think Iolani belongs in D2, you likely never played football.

HS Football Fanatic, I know you haven't completely gone to the dark side. I know before you took the position that Iolani is a D1 team. Fight back the infection of Iolani elitists that are trying to sway you to their position! Fight it! Come on! I know you can do it! :D :D :D

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:@gopunahou: But Kailua's enrollment is larger than Iolani's (minus K-8, of course), right? The only OIA D1 school that could ask to be dropped to D2 in football--based on enrollment--is Kahuku, and you see how absurd that would be, right?

I hate to repeat myself, but trying to justify Iolani's presence in D2 is harder than trying to justify making people suffer at Guantanamo!

@gopunahou: OK, try this: Do you think Radford belongs in D2? Look at how well they're doing in D2. How large is Radford's enrollment?

I think this is the crux of this entire issue of whether Iolani belongs in D1 or not, particularly in regard to your status as a former football player for Punahou: Because of its enrollment, Punahou would probably never be granted D2 status in football. Because of its enrollment, Iolani has before and might again be granted D2 status in football. That's the crux of the matter, right? Surely you can see that small schools sometimes have good teams, and sometimes don't. Nanakuli is a good example of a small school--(counting grades 9-12 only)--that's doing quite well in football. Yes, they're in D2, but they are obviously better than some D1 schools in football. Iolani has never had a large high school enrollment, and probably never will. Since that's the case, there is always the possibility that they'll be granted D2 status in football. There's nothing you or I can do about it. And--since I'm not an Iolani alumnus--I don't lose any sleep over it. I mean, I don't mind discussing the matter on this thread, but beyond that, it has no personal import for me.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

gopunahou wrote:

@gopunahou: OK, try this: Do you think Radford belongs in D2? Look at how well they're doing in D2.

I think this is the crux of this entire issue of whether Iolani belongs in D1 or not, particularly in regard to your status as a former football player for Punahou: Because of its enrollment, Punahou would probably never be granted D2 status in football. Because of its enrollment, Iolani has and might again be granted D2 status in football. That's the crux of the matter, right? Surely you can see that small schools sometimes have good teams, and sometimes don't. Nanakuli is a good example of a small school--(counting grades 9-12 only)--that's doing quite well in football. Yes, they're in D2, but they are obviously better than some D1 schools in football. Iolani has never had a large high school enrollment, and probably never will. Since that's the case, there is always the possibility that they'll be granted D2 status in football. There's nothing you or I can do about it.
I hope you could tell I was telling a joke. But in all honesty, there should only be five D2 teams, with Nanakuli being one of them. Anuenue, Kalani, Kalaheo, Nanakuli, and Waialua are the OIA teams that should be D2.

But come on! Don't go to the dark side and think Iolani belongs in D2! :D :D :D If the ILH is smart, they won't listen to Look's pleas and will see through them. For Iolani, enrollment and numbers (which were around 50-65) were never a problem in the late '80s and all of the '90s. Shouldn't the ILH take that into account and avoid doing the wrong thing (sending Iolani back to D2)? There are about 5 or 6 D1 prospects playing for Iolani. Does that sound like a team that belongs in D1? Iolani's enrollment isn't low enough to merit D2 status. Nor have they suffered devastating injuries while playing the Big 3. Nothing justifies Iolani coming back to D2, and whoever disagrees--I'd like to know what they are smoking!

I know for a fact that there are at least ten people here who take the position that Iolani's rightful place is D1.