What Happened to McKinley Football?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: What Happened to McKinley Football?

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

HighFlyer wrote:At least McKinley hasn't been complaining about Kahuku and Mililani even though they got no business playing teams like them!
@HighFlyer: I know some McKinley players. They told me that some of them asked HC Cantiberos whether it wouldn't be a good idea to forfeit the Mililani game; the coach said, No, we are going to play them.
So, I don't know if that qualifies as "complaining," but some players did suggest a forfeit. As for the Kahuku game, I don't know. The paper said the McKinley boys wanted to play Kahuku, but I don't know whether that was told to the press merely for public consumption.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

BigWave96744 wrote:Could the most successful McKinley Grad in recent years be Tavita Woodard?
@BigWave96744: Yes, I would say so. And I'm glad he played for UH. McKinley simply doesn't produce D1 college players the way other schools like Kahuku do. McKinley isn't a "football school," the way Kahuku is. But then again, most schools aren't. Certainly Kahuku is the most prolific "football factory" in the OIA; in the ILH, I guess St Louis is the most prolific "football factory"?

Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Post by Egonator »

They just lost to Waianae 90-0. I know the coach doesn't have a lot of players on his team but he needs to do a better job. As a fellow alumni ill be happy if they just forfeit the rest of the season keep the players healthy and work on next year in D 2

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

90-0. Damn. That's worse than any St. Louis-Damien or St. Louis-Pac-Five game!
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Post by politclyincrekt »

If there was a message ever to be received by the McKinley Athletic Department, I sure as hell hope it's the one sent by Waianae tonight. A team doesn't lose 90-0 against an opponent who doesn't even attempt a pass unless you truly do not belong on the field. And although I am a Tiger through and through, this team doesn't belong on a Division I field. Whatever Cantiberos is trying prove is moot. I feel for the kids and the fans and none deserve the kind of beat down they were subjected to tonight. It is very easy to be an armchair coach, but in all honesty, if I were in charge of the program there wouldn't be a doubt in my mind what I would do. And that's all I have to say on the matter.

Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Post by Egonator »

They didnt even attempt a pass?!!! I'm pissed...what is the coach doing? Did he become a coach by playing Madden? this coach needs to be gone NOW. If he were in Texas he would have been gone 2 quarters into the first game. That athletic department really needs to look at the situation and really discuss their options because this is becoming the worst football team in Hawaii high School football history.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker

Egonator wrote:They didnt even attempt a pass?!!! I'm pissed...what is the coach doing? Did he become a coach by playing Madden? this coach needs to be gone NOW. If he were in Texas he would have been gone 2 quarters into the first game. That athletic department really needs to look at the situation and really discuss their options because this is becoming the worst football team in Hawaii high School football history.
Yep. According to Scoringlive, Waianae didn't attempt to pass the ball once.

The fact that the school record for most points scored by an opponent has been broken 3 times this season should be a huge wake up call for the athletic staff. It should also be an alarm for the OIA for their promotion/relegation policy. This is the least competitive team that I can remember since Kau and Kohala ended their 11-man programs (I remember that last 11-man game Kau played was something like 98-8 against Konawaena).

If I ran my program the way this one is currently being ran, I wouldn't expect even half of my kids to show up to practice this week. Which is really too bad because they are the ones who are being punished, waking up sore, and working their hearts out only to be gutted alive all over again by another team. If the coaching staff want their kids to lose 90-0 to a team, might as well plan a scrimmage against USC. At least the players can go to Disneyland while they are there. It is 5 weeks into the season and excuses are starting to sound good only to those making them.

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

politclyincrekt wrote:
Egonator wrote:They didnt even attempt a pass?!!! I'm pissed...what is the coach doing? Did he become a coach by playing Madden? this coach needs to be gone NOW. If he were in Texas he would have been gone 2 quarters into the first game. That athletic department really needs to look at the situation and really discuss their options because this is becoming the worst football team in Hawaii high School football history.
Yep. According to Scoringlive, Waianae didn't attempt to pass the ball once.

The fact that the school record for most points scored by an opponent has been broken 3 times this season should be a huge wake up call for the athletic staff. It should also be an alarm for the OIA for their promotion/relegation policy. This is the least competitive team that I can remember since Kau and Kohala ended their 11-man programs (I remember that last 11-man game Kau played was something like 98-8 against Konawaena).

If I ran my program the way this one is currently being ran, I wouldn't expect even half of my kids to show up to practice this week. Which is really too bad because they are the ones who are being punished, waking up sore, and working their hearts out only to be gutted alive all over again by another team. If the coaching staff want their kids to lose 90-0 to a team, might as well plan a scrimmage against USC. At least the players can go to Disneyland while they are there. It is 5 weeks into the season and excuses are starting to sound good only to those making them.

Haha Disneyland

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Here is something that is being overlooked.at the end of the last two year evaluation period,Kaiser was the only White Division team out of four eligible for promotion to actually accept promotion to one of the two OIA D-I division. As I recall,Radford,Pearl City, and a third team(Kalani...maybe) declined promotion. IIRC Kaimuki had the worst Red East record and accepted demotion.and Kaiser happily moved up , flush with victories under then HC Rich Miano.

The other 3 schools that declined to move up meant that three schools that should also have been moved down to D-II couldn't go down.

Basically, M cKinley may not go down to White after this season is over because none of the eligible White schools will want to move up.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

unpaid wrote:Here is something that is being overlooked.at the end of the last two year evaluation period,Kaiser was the only White Division team out of four eligible for promotion to actually accept promotion to one of the two OIA D-I division. As I recall,Radford,Pearl City, and a third team(Kalani...maybe) declined promotion. IIRC Kaimuki had the worst Red East record and accepted demotion.and Kaiser happily moved up , flush with victories under then HC Rich Miano.

The other 3 schools that declined to move up meant that three schools that should also have been moved down to D-II couldn't go down.

Basically, M cKinley may not go down to White after this season is over because none of the eligible White schools will want to move up.
I thought if you're a D2 school that qualifies to move up to D1, you have to move up unless a D1 school that qualifies to move down to D2 agrees to stay in D1. Isn't that how Pearl City remained a D2 school a few seasons ago? Didn't they work it out with Kaimuki or somebody that each school would stay put the following season?

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

After these blow outs, OIA will have to evaluate the rules on moving up or down in the Red and White Division or D1 or D2 considered State levels. I remember when McKinley beat all the ILH teams back in '68' and won the ILH.
Back then all the kids from Mayor Wrights housing were Tigers.

BowTow
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by BowTow »

Wasted opportunity to work on their passing game.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote:After these blow outs, OIA will have to evaluate the rules on moving up or down in the Red and White Division or D1 or D2 considered State levels. I remember when McKinley beat all the ILH teams back in '68' and won the ILH.
Back then all the kids from Mayor Wrights housing were Tigers.
@Markeke: They still are. Or at least, they're supposed to be. Mayor Wright players are still supposed to attend McKinley. Trouble is, they get recruited heavily, particularly by St Louis.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Egonator wrote:They just lost to Waianae 90-0. I know the coach doesn't have a lot of players on his team but he needs to do a better job. As a fellow alumni ill be happy if they just forfeit the rest of the season keep the players healthy and work on next year in D 2
@Egonator:
I totally agree: McKinley should forfeit the remainder of the season. I'm not a McKinley alumnus, but I'd be really pissed if I were. I think this season must have already done untold damage to the school pride of McKinley students and alumni. It's an unmitigated disaster, and it needs to stop. The Waianae game's score is unbearable. I feel sorry for McKinley students and alumni. McKinley should forfeit the remainder of the season; enough damage already.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Egonator wrote:They just lost to Waianae 90-0. I know the coach doesn't have a lot of players on his team but he needs to do a better job. As a fellow alumni ill be happy if they just forfeit the rest of the season keep the players healthy and work on next year in D 2
@Egonator:
I totally agree: McKinley should forfeit the remainder of the season. I'm not a McKinley alumnus, but I'd be really pissed if I were. I think this season must have already done untold damage to the school pride of McKinley students and alumni. It's an unmitigated disaster, and it needs to stop. The Waianae game's score is unbearable. I feel sorry for McKinley students and alumni. McKinley should forfeit the remainder of the season; enough damage already.
As a McKinley alumnus, it is really upsetting. Coach Cho had the guts to forfeit last year's bout with Mililani. I don't know why the athletic staff this year can't pull the chord. I am also curious why Cho left in the first place. He was competitive in the Division I 2 of the last 3 years he coached. Why would he leave after one bad season? Something must be going on with the program...