What Happened to McKinley Football?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: What Happened to McKinley Football?

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Eastside Hooligan wrote:[quoteAt the same time, Kahuku could have shown more class. Never kick a man when he's down. There was no need for Kahuku to run-up the score like that. Stuff like that can create bad blood between the two schools and their respective alumni.]
I did not go to the game knowing that it would be a blowout. I did hear from family and friends that went to the game that there was a few touchdowns that came from punt returns and interceptions. The 2nd and 3rd string did go in the 2nd qtr. and even those guys had interceptions. I also heard that there a few touchdowns that got called back so the score could have been worse.

What could have Kahuku done to show class?

I give credit to McKinley for showing up and for holding there head up high. I heard the band and fans were still cheering to the end.[/quote]

@Eastside Hooligan: Well, guys look at the score and come to conclusions. Guys are going to say that Kahuku should have gotten off the gas pedal even earlier.

bigD
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by bigD »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Eastside Hooligan wrote:[quoteAt the same time, Kahuku could have shown more class. Never kick a man when he's down. There was no need for Kahuku to run-up the score like that. Stuff like that can create bad blood between the two schools and their respective alumni.]
I did not go to the game knowing that it would be a blowout. I did hear from family and friends that went to the game that there was a few touchdowns that came from punt returns and interceptions. The 2nd and 3rd string did go in the 2nd qtr. and even those guys had interceptions. I also heard that there a few touchdowns that got called back so the score could have been worse.

I give credit to McKinley for showing up and for holding there head up high. I heard the band and fans were still cheering to the end.
@Eastside Hooligan: Well, guys look at the score and come to conclusions. Guys are going to say that Kahuku should have gotten off the gas pedal even earlier.[/quote]
I guesss that conclusion would include you because apparantently your comments are based off the score.

I did attend the game and Kahuku played every player available, this included 4th & 5th string running backs who scored almost untouched. Would you prefer them to kneel? what kind of justice would that be for the kids who would probably never see the field all year? Kahuku did everything they could not to score and although it was still a blow out you could still see the players enjoying themselves on both sides..

Aitorahi
High-quality H20 provider
MLB: Washington Nationals
NBA: OKC Thunder
NFL: SF Niners

Post by Aitorahi »

I was at the game as well and started seeing reserves even in the 1st quarter. The thing with Kahuku is that there is not much drop off between the 1st , 2nd, and 3rd+ strings. Especially on the defensive side and at running back. I sensed a feeling of sportsmanship throughout the game from both teams. McKinley's band and cheerleaders outnumbered their fans and they kept their spirit up and were having fun. McKinley band rocks!. If they can keep their players academically eligible and maybe keep their homegrown talent at home, I think McKinley will be just fine in D1.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bigD wrote:

I give credit to McKinley for showing up and for holding there head up high. I heard the band and fans were still cheering to the end.
@Eastside Hooligan: Well, guys look at the score and come to conclusions. Guys are going to say that Kahuku should have gotten off the gas pedal even earlier.
I guesss that conclusion would include you because apparantently your comments are based off the score.

I did attend the game and Kahuku played every player available, this included 4th & 5th string running backs who scored almost untouched. Would you prefer them to kneel? what kind of justice would that be for the kids who would probably never see the field all year? Kahuku did everything they could not to score and although it was still a blow out you could still see the players enjoying themselves on both sides..[/quote]

@bigD: Well, not everyone can be at the game. And yes, almost everyone who wasn't at the game would look at the score and come to the same conclusion. However, if Kahuku did in fact get off the gas pedal very early, then the good thing about that is that the McKinley coaching staff would have seen it, and hopefully there'll be no bad blood between the coaching staffs of the two schools. That's the good thing. Also, this thread is doing its small part by spreading the word, which helps guys to have respect for Kahuku.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

rrforlifebaby wrote:
gopunahou wrote:It's too bad that nobody thought McKinley would struggle as much as they are and that there isn't anything the OIA can do to have them avoid playing D1 teams.
@gopunahou: It's the bloody system. My understanding is that McKinley wanted to drop down to D2, but in order for that to happen, a school in D2 has to agree to go up to D1. I.e., McKinley couldn't drop down to D2 unless it could find a school to swap places with, but there were no takers. So, McKinley has to suffer the indignity of getting blasted in D1. Look at last night's score against Kahuku: 78-0. McKinley alumni should go to the OIA and raise hell. At the same time, Kahuku could have shown more class. Never kick a man when he's down. There was no need for Kahuku to run-up the score like that. Stuff like that can create bad blood between the two schools and their respective alumni.
I wasn't at the game, but i heard from multiple sources Big Red was throwing in 2nd and 3rd stringers towards the end of the 2nd qtr. When Crusaders were killing Everybody back in the day, an opposing coach said it best. ..re if its 1st string or the waters boys, we (the losing team) still gota stop them from scoring. Hats off to the Tigers for staying committed to the game and banging.

If u gona point fingers at Big Red, then u gota put york and the trojans on blast too. Milton bomb to timoteo in the 4th with a running clock? Really?
This article can apply to the Kahuku-McKinley game. Its subject is running up the score.

http://www.dailynews.com/general-news/2 ... -by-canyon

"I'd never been a part of anything like this before," Welch said. "We could have punted on first down or purposely fumbled or purposely thrown interceptions, but I thought that would have been insulting to Golden Valley (the team that lost 90-0 and trailed 70-0 after two quarters)."
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

BigWave96744 wrote:Since the first Math Bowl in 1978 to the next 15 years they took home 5 State Titles (81, 82, 88, 92, 93). Then from 1994 to Current they only won one, back in 2009.

I guess even their geeks are getting poached by the ILH :lol:

http://math.byuh.edu/mathbowl/winningschools
@BigWave96744: Well, you know who keeps winning those Math Bowls, right? Iolani. But, a lot of the math whizzes at McKinley are from China. They might to do well in math at Iolani, but their weakness in the English language would hold them back in almost all other subjects.
Whoa, you stirring goPunahou's pot. Iolani recruiting Geeks as well as Jocks? :lol:

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

BigWave96744 wrote:
BigWave96744 wrote:Since the first Math Bowl in 1978 to the next 15 years they took home 5 State Titles (81, 82, 88, 92, 93). Then from 1994 to Current they only won one, back in 2009.

I guess even their geeks are getting poached by the ILH :lol:

http://math.byuh.edu/mathbowl/winningschools
@BigWave96744: Well, you know who keeps winning those Math Bowls, right? Iolani. But, a lot of the math whizzes at McKinley are from China. They might to do well in math at Iolani, but their weakness in the English language would hold them back in almost all other subjects.
Whoa, you stirring goPunahou's pot. Iolani recruiting Geeks as well as Jocks? :lol:
@BigWave96744: Actually, Iolani has enough math whizzes; they don't have to poach McKinley's. And, well, Iolani beats Punahou in Math Bowl most of the time.

Hiloman

Post by Hiloman »

The days when I taught at Central Intermediate, there were Nick Maafala, Theo Adams, Mauga guys running around. I don't have a clue about demographics but wonder if all the Soles grew up and living in other areas of island.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hiloman wrote:The days when I taught at Central Intermediate, there were Nick Maafala, Theo Adams, Mauga guys running around. I don't have a clue about demographics but wonder if all the Soles grew up and living in other areas of island.
(@Hiloman: For some reason, my post printed three times. With this new format that was installed today, there's no "Delete Post" option, so I had to delete my response twice. My actual response is posted two posts below.)
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hiloman wrote:The days when I taught at Central Intermediate, there were Nick Maafala, Theo Adams, Mauga guys running around. I don't have a clue about demographics but wonder if all the Soles grew up and living in other areas of island.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@Hiloman: Here in Hawaii we all know that Samoans--and Polynesians in general--make great football players. That's a positive stereotype, but I don't want to come-out with a negative stereotype about where many (but not all) such families often live. I think most of us are aware that McKinley's Samoan players traditionally have come from certain developments in the school's geographic area. Well, those developments haven't moved; they're still in the school's geographic area. I.e., I don't think the Samoan players have moved as a group to some other school's geographic area. I think those Samoan players are still at McKinley, but either they're on 2.00 probation, or aren't even on the team, for whatever reason(s). And, of course, there are Samoan players at McKinley who are on the team and are playing. Sometimes there is a shift of certain ethnic populations from one school to another. For example, there were choke Vietnamese kids at McKinley throughout the '80s and '90s. But after the '90s, many Vietnamese kids shifted to Kaimuki, for whatever reason. I'm sure there still are some Vietnamese kids at McKinley, but for some reason there was a shift to Kaimuki some 10 to 15 years ago.

Hiloman

Post by Hiloman »

[

@Hiloman: Here in Hawaii we all know that Samoans--and Polynesians in general--make great football players. That's a positive stereotype, but I don't want to come-out with a negative stereotype about where many (but not all) such families often live. I think most of us are aware that McKinley's Samoan players traditionally have come from certain developments in the school's geographic area. Well, those developments haven't moved; they're still in the school's geographic area. I.e., I don't think the Samoan players have moved as a group to some other school's geographic area. I think those Samoan players are still at McKinley, but either they're on 2.00 probation, or aren't even on the team, for whatever reason(s). And, of course, there are Samoan players at McKinley who are on the team and are playing. Sometimes there is a shift of certain ethnic populations from one school to another. For example, there were choke Vietnamese kids at McKinley throughout the '80s and '90s. But after the '90s, many Vietnamese kids shifted to Kaimuki, for whatever reason. I'm sure there still are some Vietnamese kids at McKinley, but for some reason there was a shift to Kaimuki some 10 to 15 years ago.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Could be without the presence of someone like Tanuvasa too to draw them back in. It takes a special coaching staff to develop continuity in a well oiled machine. I don't see much of former UH or college players flocking to McKinley like some other schools. They only pay head coach a few thousand a season compared to private schools.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hiloman wrote:[

@Hiloman: Here in Hawaii we all know that Samoans--and Polynesians in general--make great football players. That's a positive stereotype, but I don't want to come-out with a negative stereotype about where many (but not all) such families often live. I think most of us are aware that McKinley's Samoan players traditionally have come from certain developments in the school's geographic area. Well, those developments haven't moved; they're still in the school's geographic area. I.e., I don't think the Samoan players have moved as a group to some other school's geographic area. I think those Samoan players are still at McKinley, but either they're on 2.00 probation, or aren't even on the team, for whatever reason(s). And, of course, there are Samoan players at McKinley who are on the team and are playing. Sometimes there is a shift of certain ethnic populations from one school to another. For example, there were choke Vietnamese kids at McKinley throughout the '80s and '90s. But after the '90s, many Vietnamese kids shifted to Kaimuki, for whatever reason. I'm sure there still are some Vietnamese kids at McKinley, but for some reason there was a shift to Kaimuki some 10 to 15 years ago.
[/quote][/quote]

Could be without the presence of someone like Tanuvasa too to draw them back in. It takes a special coaching staff to develop continuity in a well oiled machine. I don't see much of former UH or college players flocking to McKinley like some other schools. They only pay head coach a few thousand a season compared to private schools.[/quote]

@Hiloman: Well, if the McKinley HC is getting only a few thousand, then so is the Mililani HC, right? I think if a school has a good team, it's going to attract good players.

HighFlyer
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HighFlyer »

At least McKinley hasn't been complaining about Kahuku and Mililani even though they got no business playing teams like them!

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Could the most successful McKinley Grad in recent years be Tavita Woodard?