What Happened to McKinley Football?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

What Happened to McKinley Football?

Post by politclyincrekt »

Schools have there ups and downs in all sports. And demographics change all the time. But I don't think any school has fallen in football quite a hard as McKinley did. Now, McKinley alumni have to look back to 2002 and the Tanuvasa-era like a Bears fan looks back at Ditka's 1985 squad. In just two short years, McKinley went from contenders (losing in triple overtime to Castle in the state semi-finals in 2002 and losing in overtime to Mililani in the OIA quarterfinals a year later) to going 1-6-1 and failing to reach play-offs. And McKinley has never really recovered since. The Tigers relegated to Division II where they performed alright (failing to make OIA White play-offs the first year and losing to Pearl City the second) and moved back up to Division I where they did alright some more.

When you consider that McKinley was blanked by Roosevelt earlier this year, never made it through the OIA White play-offs, and the Tigers haven't won a game since October 2013 when former Coach Jo Choe's makeshift Thundercat offense beat Waipahu. A big factor this year could be construction at McKinley's field limiting practice. But I think the problems at McKinley are much more than that. I don't think any coach currently in the HHSAA would be able to save the program from relegation when it comes time to realign. And if/when McKinley moves back to Division II, should there be a rush to return to Division I play? McKinley was in such a rush to return to Division I that it practically crippled the program. Campbell moved up to Division I only after winning the state title in 2004 (and they have been successful in the Division I). Kaiser didn't move back up until they took the title in 2013. Kaimuki and Waipahu have both been to the title game before moving up to Division I. I honestly don't think any Division II team has any business moving up to Division I without at least making it to the Division II state tournament (meaning you get through the OIA White play-offs).

What would YOU do to turn the Tiger football team around?

MeetLoaf
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: What Happened to McKinley Football?

Post by MeetLoaf »

And they are getting a new turf football field installed!

Another example of the demographic shift with the mass exodus of metro Honolulu families to the more affordable housing in West/Central Oahu.

Is it possible that the public housing kids in McKinley boundaries may be enrolling at more successful Metro programs like Farrington if the ILH schools haven't taken them?

Meet!

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker

MeetLoaf wrote:And they are getting a new turf football field installed!

Another example of the demographic shift with the mass exodus of metro Honolulu families to the more affordable housing in West/Central Oahu.

Is it possible that the public housing kids in McKinley boundaries may be enrolling at more successful Metro programs like Farrington if the ILH schools haven't taken them?

Meet!
The boundaries changed years ago and Farrington got the better end of that deal. If it was gradual then I could understand the demographic shift, but McKinley went from state contender to floor mat so quickly. Even schools like Castle, Kailua, and Kaimuki with changing demographics (and much, MUCH smaller student bodies) are able to field competitive teams. Is it a lack of Pop Warner recruitment in the area? Are the talented kids not making grades, leaving what would otherwise be second/third stringers left to play games? I don't know the ins and outs of McKinley's current situation but it seems much more too it than just demographics. I don't hear of too many kids transferring out of McKinley the way you hear at other schools. There's a lot of pride at McKinley despite the team's performance.
Last edited by politclyincrekt on Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

giversgain
Starter
Starter

Post by giversgain »

Keep in mind that Mckinley is in the heart of private school area. If there is a talented intermediate kid that lives in that particular district, chances are that they have already been spotted/contacted by the private schools.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

politclyincrekt wrote:Schools have there ups and downs in all sports. And demographics change all the time. But I don't think any school has fallen in football quite a hard as McKinley did. Now, McKinley alumni have to look back to 2002 and the Tanuvasa-era like a Bears fan looks back at Ditka's 1985 squad. In just two short years, McKinley went from contenders (losing in triple overtime to Castle in the state semi-finals in 2002 and losing in overtime to Mililani in the OIA quarterfinals a year later) to going 1-6-1 and failing to reach play-offs. And McKinley has never really recovered since. The Tigers relegated to Division II where they performed alright (failing to make OIA White play-offs the first year and losing to Pearl City the second) and moved back up to Division I where they did alright some more.

When you consider that McKinley was blanked by Roosevelt earlier this year, never made it through the OIA White play-offs, and the Tigers haven't won a game since October 2013 when former Coach Jo Choe's makeshift Thundercat offense beat Waipahu. A big factor this year could be construction at McKinley's field limiting practice. But I think the problems at McKinley are much more than that. I don't think any coach currently in the HHSAA would be able to save the program from relegation when it comes time to realign. And if/when McKinley moves back to Division II, should there be a rush to return to Division I play? McKinley was in such a rush to return to Division I that it practically crippled the program. Campbell moved up to Division I only after winning the state title in 2004 (and they have been successful in the Division I). Kaiser didn't move back up until they took the title in 2013. Kaimuki and Waipahu have both been to the title game before moving up to Division I. I honestly don't think any Division II team has any business moving up to Division I without at least making it to the Division II state tournament (meaning you get through the OIA White play-offs).

What would YOU do to turn the Tiger football team around?
@politclyincrekt: At the moment, I think the only hope for McKinley is to start recruiting. As far as I know, they haven't been doing that. And McKinley alumni--particularly guys who played football--need to get their sons to the alma mater and turn them out to play.

Some other responses to your post:
1. It's true that McKinley's enrollment has been slowly but steadily shrinking over the past decade or so, but the shrinkage hasn't been dramatic enough to explain McKinley's free-fall in football. I think what might have been happening is that players from football breeding-grounds like Mayor Wright and Lanakila Homes have been defecting to Farrington, since that school is closer to those projects than is McKinley, and has had a stronger football team than McKinley for some twelve years straight to date.
2. Construction of McKinley's field is likely not that big a factor at all. Farrington's field is also under construction, yet they've kicked Waipahu's and Iolani's butts.
3. I think McKinley did want to go back down to D2, but no school in D2 would move-up to D1. In order for McKinley to move down to D2, it has to find a school willing to swap places and move-up to D1. I don't think any school wanted to. But McKinley clearly has no business being in D1. I think McKinley alumni need to stand-up and demand that the OIA accommodate McKinley in D2.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker

HS Football Fanatic wrote:@politclyincrekt: At the moment, I think the only hope for McKinley is to start recruiting. As far as I know, they haven't been doing that. And McKinley alumni--particularly guys who played football--need to get their sons to the alma mater and turn them out to play.

1. It's true that McKinley's enrollment has been slowly but steadily shrinking over the past decade or so, but the shrinkage hasn't been dramatic enough to explain McKinley's free-fall in football. I think what might have been happening is that players from football breeding-grounds like Mayor Wright and Lanakila Homes have been defecting to Farrington, since that school is closer to those projects than is McKinley, and has had a stronger football team than McKinley for some twelve years straight to date.
2. Construction of McKinley's field is likely not that big a factor at all. Farrington's field is also under construction, yet they've kicked Waipahu's and Iolani's butts.
3. I think McKinley did want to go back down to D2, but no school in D2 would move-up to D1. In order for McKinley to move down to D2, it has to find a school willing to swap places and move-up to D1. I don't think any school wanted to. But McKinley clearly has no business being in D1.
You bring up really good points. As for your last point, McKinley had no business moving up in the first place from when they dropped in 2010-2011. They couldn't even get past the first round in White play-offs. I'm an alumni and I am endlessly proud of the Tigers, but even I can recognize that they don't have the manpower to compete in Division I. I'd even question whether they'd succeed in Division II without major rebuilding.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

politclyincrekt wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:@politclyincrekt: At the moment, I think the only hope for McKinley is to start recruiting. As far as I know, they haven't been doing that. And McKinley alumni--particularly guys who played football--need to get their sons to the alma mater and turn them out to play.

3. I think McKinley did want to go back down to D2, but no school in D2 would move-up to D1. In order for McKinley to move down to D2, it has to find a school willing to swap places and move-up to D1. I don't think any school wanted to. But McKinley clearly has no business being in D1.
You bring up really good points. As for your last point, McKinley had no business moving up in the first place from when they dropped in 2010-2011. They couldn't even get past the first round in White play-offs. I'm an alumni and I am endlessly proud of the Tigers, but even I can recognize that they don't have the manpower to compete in Division I. I'd even question whether they'd succeed in Division II without major rebuilding.
@politclyincrekt: Absolutely. By the 2010-2011 school year, I think the handwriting on the wall had already become clear that McKinley didn't belong in D1. I don't know who made the star-crossed decision to move-up, but the school, the football team, and the school's fans are now paying for it.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker

If the Tigers were in Division II with the talent they had in 2012 and 2013 they would've done extremely well and the situation would probably be very different. I just hope McKinley can recover. I'd hate to see them go by way of Roosevelt or Kaimuki.

WITblitztrend
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by WITblitztrend »

No need to worry, after this season, Mckinley will be back in DII with the re-shuffling of who belongs in the DII White, DI Red, DI Blue Divisions.

Mckinley instantly becomes a middle of the pack team in DII White, if not competing in the upper echelon of the division. Like any program, a fresh start, with

support from Admin, and a coach with a vision will refocus that Mckinley program.

I predict with the development of affordable housing near the rail line in the next 10 years or so,

schools like Mckinley will gradual reload with student-athletes within the school population.

Who is the new current HC at Mckinley??

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker

Sam Cantiberos. He was a receiver and back for McKinley. He starred in 1993, I believe. That was a particularly dominant year for McKinley. Duane Ito was in his senior year at quarterback. The Tigers finished 7-2 after finishing as an OIA Blue tri-champion and lost in the OIA play-offs to OIA Red Leilehua.

It seems Cantiberos is going to try to install a fast paced, multiple set offense (total opposite of former coach Jo Choe's concentration on defense). And while the roster is small, he's working on conditioning and speed ala-Maeda/Castle. But it's easy to say you want to install a fast paced, spread offense with a multiple front flex defense but having the personnel is another thing entirely. His use of the 5-2 shift into 4-3 is a good foundation, though.

I understand teams have ups and downs, but the rate that McKinley plummeted was kind of shocking. McKinley simply couldn't reload or rebuild after Abel Warner and Gang graduated and Tanuvasa left.

WITblitztrend
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by WITblitztrend »

Let's not over react. They still are a DI football team. Competing in DI, regardless of winning or losing, is still better than middling and being satisfied with being DII.

Reality is under the current OIA structure, Mckinley will always be a middle of the pack school where they find success in DII, struggle in DI...

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

WITblitztrend wrote:Let's not over react. They still are a DI football team. Competing in DI, regardless of winning or losing, is still better than middling and being satisfied with being DII.

Reality is under the current OIA structure, Mckinley will always be a middle of the pack school where they find success in DII, struggle in DI...
@WITblitztrend: If I may, I'll have to disagree. I really don't see how we can say that McKinley is a D1 team. I don't think they are this year, and I don't think they were last year, either. I would suggest that a school needs to find its niche. Certainly, McKinley alumni don't enjoy seeing the alma mater not only losing--but getting pounded--each and every game. I don't see McKinley winning any games this year. If they couldn't beat Waipahu, I don't think they can beat anyone else on their schedule. McKinley needs to drop down to D2.

Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Post by Egonator »

I'm an alumnus of McKinley. I keep up with the program thru friends who are on the team. The number #1 problem is grades. Not many of them are making grades which leads to a small roster. Due to the small roster, backups are playing both ways which leads to disasterous results. 16 points thru 3 games is hard to take for a passionate fan but I know the kids are trying

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker

Egonator wrote:I'm an alumnus of McKinley. I keep up with the program thru friends who are on the team. The number #1 problem is grades. Not many of them are making grades which leads to a small roster. Due to the small roster, backups are playing both ways which leads to disasterous results. 16 points thru 3 games is hard to take for a passionate fan but I know the kids are trying
I think that this is a big part of the problem too. It was a problem when I was there. But it seems worse now. And this is easily the most preventable problem McKinley has.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Egonator wrote:I'm an alumnus of McKinley. I keep up with the program thru friends who are on the team. The number #1 problem is grades. Not many of them are making grades which leads to a small roster. Due to the small roster, backups are playing both ways which leads to disasterous results. 16 points thru 3 games is hard to take for a passionate fan but I know the kids are trying
@Egonator: Well, Farrington's #1 problem every year is grades. Yet, they apparently got it together enough to whack Waipahu and Iolani. Just a few weeks ago, about half of Nanakuli's team was ineligible due to grades. Yet, right now they are one of the best teams in D2. I'm beginning to wonder whether it's just that McKinley simply doesn't have the football talent.