What Happened to McKinley Football?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
oldnite
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: What Happened to McKinley Football?

Post by oldnite »

It's difficult at the OIA bottom tier. Kids from broken homes, no parental support, kids not going to class no matter how much you try to help them. Trying to be coach, friend, teacher and many kids with no ambition. Coach cho is an alum I think and I think he still teaches there. He got the kamehameha girls basketball job last year. Life is easier as a coach in the ILH. Maybe not with the parents, but a lot easier with motivated athletes who mostly will take care of business in the classroom.

soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by soleu »

8-man league as the lowest division for the OIA would help.

D1 (2 5-team divisions) (Mililani, Kahuku, Waianae, Farrington, Moanalua, Campbell, Kapolei, Kailua, D2 #1, D2 #2)
- Cut the bottom 4 of D1 and have more 2 more cross division games in place.
- You're not forcing teams to reach just to fill the D1 divisions

D2 OIA (1 8 team division)
- Basically the same current format with 1 less team. Extra preseason game I guess.

D3 - 8-man football (McKinley, Roosevelt, Kaimuki, Anuenue, Kalaheo)
- Only OIA play. No states like JV.
- Everyone plays each other twice. Top 4 go into 4 seeded playoffs.
- Teams like Anuenue could actually field a team instead of forfeiting and wasting other schools time.
- Possible cut down on costs with the need of one bus
- Better quality games on this level. Better experience all around.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Post by politclyincrekt »

soleu wrote:8-man league as the lowest division for the OIA would help.

D1 (2 5-team divisions) (Mililani, Kahuku, Waianae, Farrington, Moanalua, Campbell, Kapolei, Kailua, D2 #1, D2 #2)
- Cut the bottom 4 of D1 and have more 2 more cross division games in place.
- You're not forcing teams to reach just to fill the D1 divisions

D2 OIA (1 8 team division)
- Basically the same current format with 1 less team. Extra preseason game I guess.

D3 - 8-man football (McKinley, Roosevelt, Kaimuki, Anuenue, Kalaheo)
- Only OIA play. No states like JV.
- Everyone plays each other twice. Top 4 go into 4 seeded playoffs.
- Teams like Anuenue could actually field a team instead of forfeiting and wasting other schools time.
- Possible cut down on costs with the need of one bus
- Better quality games on this level. Better experience all around.
I think 8-man football would diminish the experience for a lot of students at these schools. When I was at McKinley, football season was huge. The band went to every game, homecoming was huge, etc. Being relegated to a small 8-man division isn't needed nor would it benefit the schools. Sooner relegation to Division II would've saved McKinley's program. During McKinley's final year in the OIA Red (prior to relegation) players were going both ways and each week was a battle to suit up enough players for each game. A little more time in the Division II and a solid rebuilding plan is what's needed for the program. McKinley isn't quite pre-2010 Kalani yet.

However, I do think that automatic promotion/relegation based on combined 2-year records should be in place for the OIA. In addition, the OIA Division I should cut the number of teams by 2 and expand the Division II.

OIA Division I Red
Kahuku
Waianae
Castle
Leilehua
Kaiser
Campbell - Relegation

OIA Division I Blue
Kailua
Farrington
Mililani
Kapolei
Moanalua
Aiea - Relegation

OIA Division II White
Radford - Promotion
Roosevelt
Nanakuli
Kalaheo
Pearl City

OIA Division II Yellow
McKinley - Promotion
Waipahu
Waialua
Kalani
Kalaheo
Anuenue

And while they're at it. Change the whole play-off system. Allow only the top 4 teams in each division a berth in play-offs (similar to an NFL-style play-off).

soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by soleu »

I think 14 in D1 OIA is way too many.

D1 10
D2 8
D3 5

McKinley doesn't really have to go to D3 but the teams that struggle and are forced to play ironman football should. If that school is struggling to get numbers to come out to play football, I doubt that there is much of an experience to diminish.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

soleu wrote:I think 14 in D1 OIA is way too many.

D1 10
D2 8
D3 5

McKinley doesn't really have to go to D3 but the teams that struggle and are forced to play ironman football should. If that school is struggling to get numbers to come out to play football, I doubt that there is much of an experience to diminish.
Didn't the OIA try this in the '90s? If we were to use your formula, the D3 teams should be Nanakuli, Anuenue, Kalani, Kalaheo, and Waialua. But if they happen to have a good turnout, they SHOULD have the option of moving up to D2.

And as for 8-man football, I think Anuenue, Kalani, and Waialua are the top candidates to do that.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by soleu »

gopunahou wrote:

D1 10
D2 8
D3 5

Didn't the OIA try this in the '90s? If we were to use your formula, the D3 teams should be Nanakuli, Anuenue, Kalani, Kalaheo, and Waialua. But if they happen to have a good turnout, they SHOULD have the option of moving up to D2.

And as for 8-man football, I think Anuenue, Kalani, and Waialua are the top candidates to do that.
Agree. If more kids want to play football, let them move up. This could be decided by May or even June as far as 8-man participation. I would think that with another team becoming successful in D3, the hype would pick up around that area for the next kids coming up. I would add Kaimuki to your list too.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

soleu wrote:
gopunahou wrote:

D1 10
D2 8
D3 5

Agree. If more kids want to play football, let them move up. This could be decided by May or even June as far as 8-man participation. I would think that with another team becoming successful in D3, the hype would pick up around that area for the next kids coming up. I would add Kaimuki to your list too.
Yes. I hope the Pac-Five schools, Damien, and St. Francis go 8-man, too. I think they can do it. But I've also got a personal reason for wanting them to do that.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Naue
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Naue »

gopunahou wrote:

D1 10
D2 8
D3 5

What conclusion did you come to putting Nanakuli in D3?

Within this last two years the Hawks have won an OIA JV 2013 and Varsity 2014 championships and just barely losing last years JV championship to end their undefeated streak. They have a roster of about 48-49 players and have even more on their JV squad. Radford declined to move up last year giving way for Aiea to stay up in D1. If anything Nanakuli deserves to move up because they've been consistent enough and they did it with their own homegrown talent.
"when they show you their true colors, believe them"

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Naue wrote:
gopunahou wrote:

D1 10
D2 8
D3 5

Within this last two years the Hawks have won an OIA JV 2013 and Varsity 2014 championships and just barely losing last years JV championship to end their undefeated streak. They have a roster of about 48-49 players and have even more on their JV squad. Radford declined to move up last year giving way for Aiea to stay up in D1. If anything Nanakuli deserves to move up because they've been consistent enough and they did it with their own homegrown talent.
You sound like a Nanakuli fan so I don't wish to step on your toes. But I'm going with their enrollment, which I assumed was as low as Kalaheo's. I take their enrollment is much larger than it was in 2010.

Naue
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Naue »

No worries, we can have a civilized discussion on here, I am open to it.
If that is your basis then yes you are correct. Nanakuli does have a small school and even smaller enrollment then Kapa'a but so does Kahuku. Now we aren't near Kahuku's level but based on the facts that I gave minus the enrollment issue what would you say now? Nanakuli has talent playing at Waianae, Kapolei and ILH schools. These boys here bought in to the coaches and chose to try and build something at Nanakuli.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

politclyincrekt wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Egonator wrote:They just lost to Waianae 90-0. I know the coach doesn't have a lot of players on his team but he needs to do a better job. As a fellow alumni ill be happy if they just forfeit the rest of the season keep the players healthy and work on next year in D 2
@Egonator:
I totally agree: McKinley should forfeit the remainder of the season. I'm not a McKinley alumnus, but I'd be really pissed if I were. I think this season must have already done untold damage to the school pride of McKinley students and alumni. It's an unmitigated disaster, and it needs to stop. The Waianae game's score is unbearable. I feel sorry for McKinley students and alumni. McKinley should forfeit the remainder of the season; enough damage already.
As a McKinley alumnus, it is really upsetting. Coach Cho had the guts to forfeit last year's bout with Mililani. I don't know why the athletic staff this year can't pull the chord. I am also curious why Cho left in the first place. He was competitive in the Division I 2 of the last 3 years he coached. Why would he leave after one bad season? Something must be going on with the program...
@Egonator: Well, Cho might be shifting his attention to the Kamehameha girls' basketball team; he's their head coach. And let's face it: It's easier to coach a girls' basketball team than a football team; infinitely easier. Doesn't matter whether it's public or private schools that we're talking about.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

D1 10
D2 8
D3 5

@soleu: It might not be so much that kids aren't going out for the team; it could be that they are on the team, but are on 2.00 probation.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naue wrote:
gopunahou wrote:

D1 10
D2 8
D3 5

@Naue: That's right. For a school with a small 9-12 enrollment, Nanakuli has been doing an outstanding job in football. They certainly don't belong in a D3 classification, by any stretch of the imagination. They could probably be competitive in D1 this year.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Question is, how long can Nanakuli sustain its success?

Naue
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Naue »

gopunahou wrote:Question is, how long can Nanakuli sustain its success?
Lol....I was waiting for that question. They definitely have talent this year but will lose a lot to graduation. We will find out the answer to that question next year. Like a said before, the boys bought in to the program, its been seeing a lot of success and hopefully it will continue.