What Happened to McKinley Football?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Re: What Happened to McKinley Football?

Post by politclyincrekt »

So I did some digging around...and if what I uncovered is true, then the situation at McKinley is pretty sickening. While its easy to blame demographics and the tragic era of Bobby Grey for McKinley's downfall, the truth is much more sinister:

Apparently Cho attempted to do what the more elite programs do now. Cho created the Metro Tigers to bring kids into the high school program from the middle school and younger levels under the guidance of Chos staff. However, once Takamori retired (Cho was a Takamori hire) the rift between Cho's new football approach/style and old school Tanuvasa alumni and supporters grew (many of the parents of Chos players were from the Tanuvasa era). One star defensive player in particular is rumored to not even follow Cho's play calls and the result on the field differed from what was called from the sideline.

I just pray that Cantiberos was hired because he was truly the right fit for the job and not simply because he is a product of Tanuvasa's system. Cho had the makings of a great, long term program that was cut short because he could no longer produce with such a lack of parental support. I fear that McKinley's program will forever be hindered by parents, alumni, and supporters living in the past. And as much as the media and McKinley staff want to spin that they are putting grades and attitude before football, the program is obviously a bigger mess this year under Cantiberos (he had an entire off season with these kids) than under any previous coach since McKinley joined the OIA.