Best Uniforms

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Best Uniforms

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
gopunahou wrote:Maybe Kaiser thought it wouldn't be a problem that they wore blue while Kahuku wore white. Kaiser sure as hell wouldn't wear blue when somebody like, say, Kailua, wears their home unis. And plus, this has happened before. There was one game where Punahou wore blue while Pac-Five wore orange.
@gopunahou: Well, when Pac-Five wore orange, where was the game played, at Aloha Stadium or at Punahou? If the game was at Aloha Stadium, there could have been a misunderstanding, as Aloha Stadium is not home-field for any team. But if the game was at Punahou, well, Pac-Five was being both stupid and provocative. I think the issue goes beyond whether the jersey colors contrast adequately; I think there's the perception that if the other team comes to your home field wearing home jerseys, it's almost like getting in your face.
Aloha Stadium
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

saintlouisontop
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by saintlouisontop »

I M HUGE FAN of Punahous jersey. It stands out

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Okay, but how bout ugly? Mililani's jersey last night looks like midget ball. I meant did they pay extra for names on the back ,but screened on the skinny numbers? Even the fitting looked weird. Who else have names on the back?

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Not really unis, but although I bleed Castle's Maroon, White & Gold, I have also liked Baldwin's Maroon & Columbia Blue.

Eastside Hooligan
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: 49ers

Post by Eastside Hooligan »

harus0ra wrote:
Just the same, though: Why did Kaiser wear their home jerseys? How was that supposed to make Kahuku feel?

Over heard a Kaiser parent saying that's the jerseys that beat them last year so I'm guessing it's for luck. Could mean anything but i didn't Care

@harus0ra: Yeah, but Kaiser played them at home last year, so it was right then to wear the home jerseys. This year's game was away.
Well the Kaiser's JV team came with the right uniform.....

Yes it really doesn't matter but to do that to a team you beat last year is like throwing salt in the wound. Maybe if they called the coach and both agreen that it was ok then that would have been fine but it was wrong in alot of Red Raider's eyes.... Athletes, Alumni, and Fans.

Anyhow I say Kahuku has better uniforms this year because it's the basic colors ... RED & WHITE ... no substitutions , no additives. No funky leg stripes up the back of the leg.... All hail to the RED & WHITE.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

There is something to be said for remaining true to the school colors like Eastside Hooligan said. Radford has had red stripes for as long as I can remember all the way back to the late 60's when I was a student there. But when you research the school colors the first student body voted for in the late 1950's,there is no red.Rams school colors are black and white.

Probably added red over the years for some design reason but red was not an original Radford color. True unis would be black and white.Maybe they will get a throwback edition....kinna doubt it though,high school budgets being what they are.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote:
gopunahou wrote:Maybe Kaiser thought it wouldn't be a problem that they wore blue while Kahuku wore white. Kaiser sure as hell wouldn't wear blue when somebody like, say, Kailua, wears their home unis. And plus, this has happened before. There was one game where Punahou wore blue while Pac-Five wore orange.
@gopunahou: Well, when Pac-Five wore orange, where was the game played, at Aloha Stadium or at Punahou? If the game was at Aloha Stadium, there could have been a misunderstanding, as Aloha Stadium is not home-field for any team. But if the game was at Punahou, well, Pac-Five was being both stupid and provocative. I think the issue goes beyond whether the jersey colors contrast adequately; I think there's the perception that if the other team comes to your home field wearing home jerseys, it's almost like getting in your face.
Aloha Stadium
@gopunahou: OK, then let's give Pac-Five the benefit of the doubt, and assume there was confusion as to which was the home team. But really, after all these years, does anyone really care?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote:Okay, but how bout ugly? Mililani's jersey last night looks like midget ball. I meant did they pay extra for names on the back ,but screened on the skinny numbers? Even the fitting looked weird. Who else have names on the back?
@Markeke: What gets me is why Mililani doesn't use brown for its home jerseys. I think those yellow jerseys have to go. Besides, they look more like away jerseys, as yellow is a light color.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Eastside Hooligan wrote:
harus0ra wrote:
Just the same, though: Why did Kaiser wear their home jerseys? How was that supposed to make Kahuku feel?

Over heard a Kaiser parent saying that's the jerseys that beat them last year so I'm guessing it's for luck. Could mean anything but i didn't Care

@harus0ra: Yeah, but Kaiser played them at home last year, so it was right then to wear the home jerseys. This year's game was away.
Well the Kaiser's JV team came with the right uniform.....

Yes it really doesn't matter but to do that to a team you beat last year is like throwing salt in the wound. Maybe if they called the coach and both agreen that it was ok then that would have been fine but it was wrong in alot of Red Raider's eyes.... Athletes, Alumni, and Fans.

Anyhow I say Kahuku has better uniforms this year because it's the basic colors ... RED & WHITE ... no substitutions , no additives. No funky leg stripes up the back of the leg.... All hail to the RED & WHITE.
@Eastside Hooligan: I'm glad somone came-out and said it. SCHOOL COLORS ONLY. It's one thing to use white; white is a neutral color, so any school can use it. But, if a school's colors are red and white, then there should be no reason to use black or gray.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:There is something to be said for remaining true to the school colors like Eastside Hooligan said. Radford has had red stripes for as long as I can remember all the way back to the late 60's when I was a student there. But when you research the school colors the first student body voted for in the late 1950's,there is no red.Rams school colors are black and white.

Probably added red over the years for some design reason but red was not an original Radford color. True unis would be black and white.Maybe they will get a throwback edition....kinna doubt it though,high school budgets being what they are.
@unpaid: But see, Radford's official colors are now black, red, and white, and they have been for decades. Kahuku's official colors are red and white, so I don't know why we've seen such colors as black and gray on their unis over the past 30 years or so. As far as I know, Kahuku didn't modify its official colors before or since.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Post by politclyincrekt »

Just a few thoughts on the uniforms this year:
-McKinley appears to be going back to its older designs (unlike the more flashy newer designs introduced in over the last few seasons).
-I still think that Aiea's matte helmets look real sharp.

On school colors, I typically don't have a problem with schools using other colors on a uniform's trim to "strengthen" the lines on the uniform and give it definition (especially when a school's colors are similar like red and white or Roosevelt's red and gold). What I don't like is when a school goes totally black just for the sake of it (I'm looking at you Moanalua, Hilo, Kailua, Kaimuki and Pearl City).

Not acceptable.

Also not acceptable.

It's like their not even trying.

In all seriousness though...McKinley's 2014 uniforms were probably the slickest I've seen in awhile:

fballnutbag
High-quality H20 provider

Post by fballnutbag »

politclyincrekt wrote:Just a few thoughts on the uniforms this year:
-McKinley appears to be going back to its older designs (unlike the more flashy newer designs introduced in over the last few seasons).

On school colors, I typically don't have a problem with schools using other colors on a uniform's trim to "strengthen" the lines on the uniform and give it definition (especially when a school's colors are similar like red and white or Roosevelt's red and gold). What I don't like is when a school goes totally black just for the sake of it (I'm looking at you Moanalua, Hilo, Kailua, Kaimuki and Pearl City).

Not acceptable.

Also not acceptable.

In all seriousness though...McKinley's 2014 uniforms were probably the slickest I've seen in awhile:

Look above. Kaiser has has 2, sometimes 3 different types of uniforms on the field! Just look at the guy on the left and the guy on the right. And they have a Nike one too! What's up with that?

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Post by politclyincrekt »

@saintlouisontop: I agree. Punahou's uniforms are really nice looking.

@fballnutbag: A lot of people here don't like Kaiser's uniforms. I actually love it. Blue and gold (Kaiser and Punahou) is a really good color combination. When done right (like with Kaiser and Punahou) the uniform really pops. What I particularly like about Kaiser's uniform is the paw on the front of the helmet. It's unique. These uniforms definitely look better than previous versions.

I also really like Kamehameha-Kapalama's new uniforms. The lighter tones and more traditional lines look good. Now if more teams could get matte helmets like Aiea and McKinley's 2014 uniforms, that'd be cherry.

fballnutbag

Post by fballnutbag »

politclyincrekt wrote:@saintlouisontop: I agree. Punahou's uniforms are really nice looking.

@fballnutbag: A lot of people here don't like Kaiser's uniforms. I actually love it. Blue and gold (Kaiser and Punahou) is a really good color combination. When done right (like with Kaiser and Punahou) the uniform really pops. What I particularly like about Kaiser's uniform is the paw on the front of the helmet. It's unique. These uniforms definitely look better than previous versions.

I also really like Kamehameha-Kapalama's new uniforms. The lighter tones and more traditional lines look good. Now if more teams could get matte helmets like Aiea and McKinley's 2014 uniforms, that'd be cherry.
I like the ones on the left better than the one on the right. I like the uniforms at Kaiser, just wish they were the same!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

fballnutbag wrote:
politclyincrekt wrote:Just a few thoughts on the uniforms this year:

Not acceptable.

Also not acceptable.

Look above. Kaiser has has 2, sometimes 3 different types of uniforms on the field! Just look at the guy on the left and the guy on the right. And they have a Nike one too! What's up with that?
@fballnutbag: You're absolutely right. When a school lets its team play without the exact same uniforms, it looks really tacky. You have to imagine it must be kind of embarrassing for the players, too. Kaiser needs to look into the situation.