First Game Blowouts

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

First Game Blowouts

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Anybody else surprised by the amount and severity of some of the blowouts in this first weekend?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: First Game Blowouts

Post by gopunahou »

rrforlifebaby wrote:Anybody else surprised by the amount and severity of some of the blowouts in this first weekend?
Well at least Iolani ain't playing in D2 again. Otherwise, every game they play against a D2 team would be a blowout (like the one they played tonight against a D2 team).

It remains to be seen if Campbell and Leilehua can respond and turn these losses into anomalies (St. Louis looked like a completely different team at the end of the season than the one that suffered 63-14 and 55-7 bashings at the beginning), but they should be capable of it. I think both of them ran into buzzsaws and teams that are hungry to end the season with that coveted championship. I honestly didn't think Punahou would look as good as it did tonight (I thought it'd be a 15-20 point win for them). Is Punahou still on the same as they were the previous two years (save for last year's lackluster finish in the final three games) or is this a down year for Leilehua? Next will give us more insight into that.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote:
rrforlifebaby wrote:Anybody else surprised by the amount and severity of some of the blowouts in this first weekend?
Well at least Iolani ain't playing in D2 again. Otherwise, every game they play against a D2 team would be a blowout (like the one they played tonight against a D2 team).

It remains to be seen if Campbell and Leilehua can respond and turn these losses into anomalies (St. Louis looked like a completely different team at the end of the season than the one that suffered 63-14 and 55-7 bashings at the beginning), but they should be capable of it. I think both of them ran into buzzsaws and teams that are hungry to end the season with that coveted championship. I honestly didn't think Punahou would look as good as it did tonight (I thought it'd be a 15-20 point win for them). Is Punahou still on the same as they were the previous two years (save for last year's lackluster finish in the final three games) or is this a down year for Leilehua? Next will give us more insight into that.
@gopunahou:
1. I'd be surprised if Campbell recovers. They took a serious body-blow to their confidence. They were a ranked team at #7, and shouldn't have lost so badly to a #4 Kahuku. I suspect that Campbell was overrated.
2. Leilehua might recover. They didn't lose as badly as Campbell did, and were playing a higher-ranked team in #3 Punahou. They did move the ball well, especially through the air. The score would have been closer if they hadn't made so many mistakes. I don't know about Punahou's D, but I think their O is just about as good as it was the past two years, though losing Noa to graduation will obviously set them back a little.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
gopunahou wrote:

@gopunahou:
1. I'd be surprised if Campbell recovers. They took a serious body-blow to their confidence. They were a ranked team at #7, and shouldn't have lost so badly to a #4 Kahuku. I suspect that Campbell was overrated.
2. Leilehua might recover. They didn't lose as badly as Campbell did, and were playing a higher-ranked team in #3 Punahou. They did move the ball well, especially through the air. The score would have been closer if they hadn't made so many mistakes. I don't know about Punahou's D, but I think their O is just about as good as it was the past two years, though losing Noa to graduation will obviously set them back a little.
The way they lost sounds like the way we lost a lot of games between 1997 and 2004. I think Punahou has got a much easier game this coming week against Hilo. You've got that right about their O. Our strength may be having so many offensive weapons. With that being the case, it'd be a mistake for teams to double team Taulapapa, Cockett, or Pang. Cockett looks like the next best WR for us.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou: Presumably Hilo will be easier; they're not ranked, while Leilehua was #9. You say Punahou got blown-out back in '97 and '04, but Punahou never really sucked in football for decades. I think the last time they sucked was in '76, and that was 39 years ago.
Cockett looks like their best receiver, but he's not going to be like Noa.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:@gopunahou: Presumably Hilo will be easier; they're not ranked, while Leilehua was #9. You say Punahou got blown-out back in '97 and '04, but Punahou never really sucked in football for decades. I think the last time they sucked was in '76, and that was 39 years ago.
You missed most of the '80s, particularly 1983-87. It sickens me to remember that period.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:@gopunahou: Presumably Hilo will be easier; they're not ranked, while Leilehua was #9. You say Punahou got blown-out back in '97 and '04, but Punahou never really sucked in football for decades. I think the last time they sucked was in '76, and that was 39 years ago.
You missed most of the '80s, particularly 1983-87. It sickens me to remember that period.
@gopunahou: Au contraire. I was around throughout the '80s, and Punahou was never as bad then as they were in '76. If '83-'87 sickens you, '76 would have killed you.

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

gopunahou wrote:
@gopunahou: Au contraire. I was around throughout the '80s, and Punahou was never as bad then as they were in '76. If '83-'87 sickens you, '76 would have killed you.
Wasn't that the Shawn Akina era? As I recall, he was a really good quarterback and could really throw the ball. They were just matched up against a really good Garrett Gabriel led Pac-5 team.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@MauiGuy: OK, I think Gabriel played for Pac-Five in the mid-'80s. So, if Akina played against him for Punahou, then of course Akina was playing then, too. I think it was Darryl Gabriel who played for Punahou in '77. Yes, he was a good QB, but that was the season following the '76 season.

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

@HSFF: I was referring to Shawn Akina and the not so good 80's Punahou teams. Shawn Akina and Garret Gabriel are both '86 grads and played against each other. I was just adding that although Punahou didn't have a great team, Shawn was definitely legit back then.

WITblitztrend
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by WITblitztrend »

Simple....

Leilehua and Campbell are over-rated preseason teams that will progress and potentially be dangerous as the postseason approaches...

From what I heard, both teams looked pretty over matched...a lot of adjustments and fine tuning for both teams heading into the regular season...

Kahuku and Punahou are under-rated teams that will be competitive and in the hunt with the likes of Mililani and St. Louis....

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

WITblitztrend wrote:Simple....

Leilehua and Campbell are over-rated preseason teams that will progress and potentially be dangerous as the postseason approaches...

From what I heard, both teams looked pretty over matched...a lot of adjustments and fine tuning for both teams heading into the regular season...

Kahuku and Punahou are under-rated teams that will be competitive and in the hunt with the likes of Mililani and St. Louis....
@WITblitztrend: Well, it's hard to say that Kahuku and Punahou are "underrated"; for the moment, Kahuku is ranked #4, while Punahou is ranked #3. So, they're both in the top five. Having said that, I really think that Punahou should be ranked #2, while Kahuku should be ranked #3. We'll see what the new poll tomorrow says. I think St Louis has more raw talent than Kahuku, but St Louis has so many injuries right now, and to their starters. I think Kahuku could be a more solid #3 if it can show that it has a passing game. I heard their QB can throw, but how good are their receivers?

WITblitztrend
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by WITblitztrend »

WITblitztrend wrote:Simple....

@WITblitztrend: Well, it's hard to say that Kahuku and Punahou are "underrated"; for the moment, Kahuku is ranked #4, while Punahou is ranked #3. So, they're both in the top five. Having said that, I really think that Punahou should be ranked #2, while Kahuku should be ranked #3. We'll see what the new poll tomorrow says. I think St Louis has more raw talent than Kahuku, but St Louis has so many injuries right now, and to their starters. I think Kahuku could be a more solid #3 if it can show that it has a passing game. I heard their QB can throw, but how good are their receivers?
@HS Football Fanatic

I agree on all points...I think as the season gets underway, the dominoes will fall in the ILH as we will get a better picture of the pecking order.
Kahuku will be hard to tell after this weeks game against Kapolei. They will potentially coast through their side of the OIA Red Division, not getting a true gauge on their pecking order until their performance in the OIA playoffs. I still think they are under-rated in terms of their potential to be a sleeping giant this year. Potential to go undefeated if chips fall their way with a little bit of luck...(Unless they lose to Kapolei this weekend, very unlikely...)

My two underrated OIA teams I am eager to see a bigger body of work as season progresses
1) Kailua
2) Moanalua

Both teams that should suffocate that Blue division and make that Division the most entertaining Division to watch this year in the OIA
Mililani, Moanalua, Kailua, Kapolei, Farrington, Campbell, Aiea

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@WITblitztrend: What really blew my mind was Moanalua's win. It's one thing to shut-out your opponent, but to hang 63 points on them, too? Moanalua's O seems pretty scary to me, yet they're not even ranked in the latest Star-Advertiser poll. I thought Moanalua would at least crack the poll, at #10. I would assume that people apparently think that Moanalua's D (despite the shutout) isn't good enough. There certainly can't be anything wrong with their O.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Post by politclyincrekt »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:@WITblitztrend: What really blew my mind was Moanalua's win. It's one thing to shut-out your opponent, but to hang 63 points on them, too? Moanalua's O seems pretty scary to me, yet they're not even ranked in the latest Star-Advertiser poll. I thought Moanalua would at least crack the poll, at #10.
Moanalua DID absolutely out-man their opponent. The test for them will be tonight vs. Waianae.